Author Topic: Liberty into C-USA  (Read 4487 times)

Offline saherdfan

Liberty into C-USA
« on: September 18, 2017, 09:09:59 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why not take their money and let them in?  What is C-USA going to let another sh!tty team in?  Big deal...  There are a lot of sh!tty teams in this conference already.  The only downside is that we would help them move up to the AAC quicker than us.  They could be the next UCF.  They at least have the attendance and money.  My question is why would they pay money to get into our league?

https://pilotonline.com/sports/columnist/harry-minium/c-usa-rejected-liberty-university-s-generous-offer-to-join/article_4aef1fa8-6614-58ea-97f4-25805187fa70.html

HerdFans.com

Liberty into C-USA
    « on: September 18, 2017, 09:09:59 PM »

Offline saherdfan

Re: Liberty into C-USA
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:18:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • How many millions more? One source pegged the offer at $24 million. The offer coincidentally came at about the same time C-USA was learning its TV revenue would soon crater, going from paying $1.1 million per school annually to about $200,000.

But C-USA presidents, who had the final call, were unwilling to invite a private, evangelical school with conservative values and a sometimes controversial chancellor. That left the Flames to chart their own course.

Money talks and Sh1t walks.  Is this all about Religion and politics?  Sad...

Online herd2win

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Liberty would be a nice addition..

Offline saherdfan

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:44:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't we sign a series with them?  If Pres & Mike are smart they would really try to help Liberty get in and form a strong bond between the schools.  Maybe we help them, and later they help us type of thing.  I have no doubt given time with the money and viewership they have whey will move up quickly if they win.

Offline MUinDE

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 11:36:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • If they offered $24M (or $2M per conference member, it was a bad decision by the C-USA presidents. Take the money. Liberty isn't going to move to the P5 anytime soon, but they could bring lots of exposure and excitement to the conference. Plus, another very close conference mate.

On second thought, nah, that would make too much sense.

Offline Pinkerton99

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 12:28:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Won't happen due to their academic reputation.
    Note: I'm not Eric Pinkerton.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 01:03:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

and where'd they get all their cash?  speculating; if CUSA surface investigated and followed the "earnings" they might have seen risk, potentially multiple conflicts of interest?  they have after all, taken strong political positions.   

which current member would be dropped to accommodate them?  is it to be supposed that CUSA would be OK with and odd number of members or two additions to total 16?  how far will $24M (tainted or not) carry CUSA in the big scheme?

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 01:06:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • CUSA's academic reputation really starts and ends with Rice. For all its baggage, Liberty would be a good fit and immediately competitive.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 01:10:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It has everything to do with them being anti-gay, etc. They have way to socially conservative views for a conference to affiliate itself with them. I'm rendering absolutely no opinion of them but those are the facts.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 01:22:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It has everything to do with them being anti-gay, etc. They have way to socially conservative views for a conference to affiliate itself with them. I'm rendering absolutely no opinion of them but those are the facts.
    Seriously? Do you realize how progressive most universities have become, why does it become an issue only if being to conservative is the issue.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Offline MUonium

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 01:29:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It has everything to do with them being anti-gay, etc. They have way to socially conservative views for a conference to affiliate itself with them. I'm rendering absolutely no opinion of them but those are the facts.

Seriously? Do you realize how progressive most universities have become, why does it become an issue only if being to conservative is the issue.

overblown BS!

Online herd2win

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 02:09:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would welcome Liberty...

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 02:09:58 PM »

Offline whf

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 02:11:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd rather JMU or Coastal Carolina; Lynchburg is really hard to get to.

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]2

I never could stand Jerry Falwell, but anti-gay backlash stuff would give me a good reason to root for them.  Gays are the most intolerant group of people there are.  Always acting like something is up their butt. LOL

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 05:13:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 06:25:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would welcome Liberty...

I'd much prefer JMU.

But for 12 Mill up front, I'd take them.

At this point I'd say no deal is the done deal.

Really a dumb move by C-USA. We'd have been much better off to take Liberty and kick UAB to the curb.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 07:12:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Any possible future G5 reconfigurations could make a nice regional conference with Marshall, WKU, MTSU, Charlotte, Appy St, ODU, JMU & Liberty.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 07:55:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Any possible future G5 reconfigurations could make a nice regional conference with Marshall, WKU, MTSU, Charlotte, Appy St, ODU, JMU & Liberty.

Personally, the thought of having Liberty joining CUSA makes me more depressing and nausea's! Look at the teams you just mentioned, Charlotte, JMU, etc.. it seems like we're going in a downward spiral! We went from being relevant to falling further under the radar. It's no wonder "apathy" has sit in with so many Herd fans. I have to be honest, I'm just riding along with this season. I'm hoping this will change over time, but for now I'm not as happy as previous seasons.

The following users thanked this post: MUonium

Offline whf

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 08:42:43 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • E, I got you.  But for me, I realized some time ago that during my 47 years of rooting for, and supporting Marshall the university world has changed around me.  Schools like UNCC, ODU, JMU, Liberty Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, Appy State...on and on, have grown by leaps and bounds while we've grown unsteadily and sporadically.  Heck, I used to go to the Coastal Carolina Community College baseball field to watch pro developmental league baseball, the Blue Jays...

While this is a challenge for us athletically, the fact is that great universities have grown up in our midst and are educating hundreds of thousands of people every year. They all have ambitions and money too; are based in population growth areas, and have missions that require them to recruit effectivelly too.

I wish MU had been on the same mission as these schools, but it wasn't. Whether it is the state making it almost impossible, or the lack of creative leadership, I don't know. But I do know the days of thinking we should roll over these schools because We Are Marshall is long past.  Think about it, we've got players who are the third generation after our plane crash. Some of their grand parents were only elementary students back then.  We have to live in today on today's nickel and have a pitch of / for today.   

I hate it, but I believe this is absolutely true. One of my sons often laments that although we are disappointed we do pretty well for being the "second thought" school in the third poorest state in the country. These aren't excuses to me, but they are true.
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:42:59 PM by whf »

The following users thanked this post: Pinkerton99, The E-Man

Offline coalherd

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 02:01:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • E, I got you.  But for me, I realized some time ago that during my 47 years of rooting for, and supporting Marshall the university world has changed around me.  Schools like UNCC, ODU, JMU, Liberty Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, Appy State...on and on, have grown by leaps and bounds while we've grown unsteadily and sporadically.  Heck, I used to go to the Coastal Carolina Community College baseball field to watch pro developmental league baseball, the Blue Jays...

While this is a challenge for us athletically, the fact is that great universities have grown up in our midst and are educating hundreds of thousands of people every year. They all have ambitions and money too; are based in population growth areas, and have missions that require them to recruit effectivelly too.

I wish MU had been on the same mission as these schools, but it wasn't. Whether it is the state making it almost impossible, or the lack of creative leadership, I don't know. But I do know the days of thinking we should roll over these schools because We Are Marshall is long past.  Think about it, we've got players who are the third generation after our plane crash. Some of their grand parents were only elementary students back then.  We have to live in today on today's nickel and have a pitch of / for today.   

I hate it, but I believe this is absolutely true. One of my sons often laments that although we are disappointed we do pretty well for being the "second thought" school in the third poorest state in the country. These aren't excuses to me, but they are true.

Well stated, whf.  Answers to the main question posed are many.

First, the poverty of the state is prime factor, IMO.  However, its more than just economic poverty.  It is also a poverty of ideas and vision, especially when it comes to education, and particularly higher education.  For decades going back probably to the 40s, there's been little to NO emphasis on developing a quality higher education system in this state.  Politicians, particularly those one party rulers for decades knew the state's economic viability depended on labor intensive entities:  especially mining, chemicals, manufacturing, and, to a lesser extent, lumber extraction and wood products manufacturing.

When those industries started significant downturns running from the late 50s forward, the state looked a little harder at higher ed.  But, unfortunately, they have equated higher ed to one institution in particular; and the state'smainfinancial support has mainly flowed mainly in the direction of that institution.  The result:  higher ed entities not located in Morgantown have struggled with severe underfunding in basic budgets, in being unable to develop the required physical plant/facilities needed to provide the quality education needed in the late 20th and early 21st centuries.

In contrast, look at the states surrounding WV.  Go to schools like WKU, EKU, MTSU, JMU, George Mason, Ohio U., etc., etc., and marvel at the extensive physical plants, including dorms, classroom/labs, recreational facilities, etc.  Then look at MU's landlocked campus, with many outmoded, obsolete classroom and dorm facilities, lack of that much in way of recreational and "green space".  No small wonder school's enrollment has stagnated for nearly 2 decades.

Want some comparisons?  When I graduated from MU in latter 60s.  George Mason was a small, one building "branch" of the University of Virginia.  Today, an exploding suburban university with international reach just outside the nation's campus.  When they made it to the NCAA Final 4, their head coach, now at Miami, FL, did some PR spots on television in the DC area, touting the building boom going on around the GMU campus, at a cost of over ONE BILLION DOLLARS!!  I believe their enrollment is now the largest of ALL of Virginia's state supported higher ed colleges, even more than VA Tech or UVA (the "flagship" school).  Another example:  at same time, in Harrisonburg, VA, there was a small women's college.  Today, it is now James Madison U., ranked at or near the top of the South's regional comprehensive universities and colleges.  It has over 20,000 students, 700+ acre campus, 110+ major buildings, and from top to bottom probably the best and most successful overall athletics program in FCS and ahead of most G5 FBS schools like Marshall.

The main difference:  a state like Virginia's governmental LEADERS realized early on that a quality and successful system of OVERALL higher ed. institutions was key to the state's growth and economic vitality.  In WV, decades of career politicians, NOT LEADERS, instead decided to cater to the whims and desires of ONE school on the PA border.  The result: the state has been, for half a century and continuing, watching the rest of the nation and its neighboring states progress and grow, while it stagnates, falls further behind, and prays that it doesn't one day wake up and find out that Mississippi is no longer a state in the Union!!

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 08:09:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 08:27:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Isn't Coastal harder to get to from Huntington than Lynchburg? Looks like about three hours longer by car and the roads aren't exactly awesome.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 08:27:01 AM »

Online gochneaur645

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 09:01:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • JMU would wreck C-USA this year. They would easily be the East favorite. Liberty might compete as well.

The fact that Liberty immediately hired the POS Baylor AD who thinks women who hang around football players deserve to be raped tells you all you need to know about that school. They're not a bad football or geographical fit, but I'll be upset if we ever wind up in a conference with them.

Offline whf

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ALthough further, IMHO Coastal is much easier drive than crossing the VA mountains into Lynchburg.  Probably an opinion thing in what one appreciates in driving.

Offline scherd

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Would much rather have JMU.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 11:13:08 AM »