Author Topic: Bennett and Watson  (Read 2934 times)

Offline DC01HERD

Bennett and Watson
« on: August 21, 2017, 07:58:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Real bad news for the basketball program. This team will be razor thin.

HerdFans.com

Bennett and Watson
    « on: August 21, 2017, 07:58:05 PM »

Offline chris88

Re: Bennett and Watson
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 08:14:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was a long shot to get Bennet eligible.  Hard to believe Watson was eligible at Wake and is not here.  In long run our NCAA shot was going to come via CUSA tourney...by then Watson will have played entire conf schedule.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 08:23:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bennett was a stretch but Im kind of scratching my head with Watson . What the heck did he do last year when he sat out ? I sure hope its not true .
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:42:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm trying to look at the bright side. West and others will get that much more playing time until Watson gets back. At least Bennett can practice 2nd semester from what I hear. That will be good for him and marshall. Also George will see plenty of time. I'm ready for practice.
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:49:51 PM by herdorbust »

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:46:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And I agree. What was Watson doing last year while he sat out. Personaly, they shouldn't be able to play and I don't feel a bit sorry for him. It's pathetic!!!! Like DD said, "I'm not going to baby sit them"

Offline MUonium

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 08:52:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • this sucks big time but with Elmore's and hopefully, Peneva's leadership...

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 09:38:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This may be one of those Pennington moments for George . He wasnt expecting to play but once he did , he never looked back.
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

The following users thanked this post: Herdfan2005

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 09:46:33 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is pitiful.  All that time to concentrate on grades to get eligible and he blows it.

Offline Collis P

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm trying to look at the bright side. West and others will get that much more playing time until Watson gets back. At least Bennett can practice 2nd semester from what I hear. That will be good for him and marshall. Also George will see plenty of time. I'm ready for practice.

Herdorbust - is it confirmed that Bennett can practice.  That is huge!
    S M I L E -

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Offline coalherd

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 10:24:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herdorbust - is it confirmed that Bennett can practice.  That is huge!

Would really be "huge" if he diligently worked on getting in tip-top shape for the 2018-19 season, and come in around 280# or so, but well under 300#, IMO.

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 10:27:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm hearing Waston's academic ineligibility may not be on him and may be on the compliance team at Marshall making an oversite in his scheduling.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 10:38:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm hearing Waston's academic ineligibility may not be on him and may be on the compliance team at Marshall making an oversite in his scheduling.

Well, he, and they, have had a whole academic year plus this summer to work on whatever academic issues/problems he had.  Unless he came out of WF on academic probation, under some academic cloud, on the verge of flunking out, etc., etc., that we never heard anything about.  Otherwise, could it be another example of MU's trying to do something "on the cheap", athletically and/or academically?  You know, another version of Kayo M.'s "Slow nickel" mentality! 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 10:38:43 PM »

Offline chris88

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 10:41:04 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

If true it is not the first time.  I believe the same happened to a FB player in last year or two that cost a kid some games
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 11:03:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Also read some info with that might be the situation. If so, ugh!!

We lost some personnel in the Buck Harless - Student help center. I think the leader and ??

This is the cost for loss of dedicated experienced personnel.

If the rumors are true, shame on us.

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 11:07:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What a cluster if its true . You would think the compliance dept would know what the heck was needed.
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 11:25:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This, if true, lies on some of the big guys laps...shame!

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 11:51:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This begins with Gilbert...then...Hamrick...lets just stop here...these two guys responsibilty...they totally droped the ball...one or both needs to be held accountable...

Offline iherdya

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 08:16:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This begins with Gilbert...then...Hamrick...lets just stop here...these two guys responsibilty...they totally droped the ball...one or both needs to be held accountable...

yeah, darn dr gilbert for not focusing on a single individual's schedule.

I'm hearing Waston's academic ineligibility may not be on him and may be on the compliance team at Marshall making an oversite in his scheduling.

as others pointed out, not on compliance. compliance has nothing to do with oversight of an student athlete's scheduling. that'd be the buck harless center.

Online svherd

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 08:34:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    [/quote.

Just plain sad. Many times, our beloved MU is it's own worst enemy.
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:35:57 AM by svherd »

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 08:50:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The Herald Dispatch today said Bennett could practice the 2nd semester. Herdmeister may know more also. And if this was not the fault of Watson, then shame on someone at Marshall. They just caused a kid to lose half his season. But like someone said. This may be a huge moment for George. It will get him more than ready for next year along with Bennett being able to practice. There is always a bright side.

Offline Luke80

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 09:07:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need Theineman and Bledsoe to step up too.  If they cannot contribute now then I'm not sure they are ever going to contribute.

Online herd2win

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • We are several years into DD being our coach....it is not a wait till next year scenario.  It is time for no excuses and this team needs to win.  Much easier to find 5 guys then to find 50 guys like football has to.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 09:20:16 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 09:34:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herdorbust - is it confirmed that Bennett can practice.  That is huge!

I totally agree with you. Being able to practice come mid December will be HUGE for the next year. Plus the fact that he can be on scholarship and still have 4 years to play beginning in 18-19
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline whf

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 10:07:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I could personally NEVER blame someone other than the kid themselves for them not being eligible, never.  Come on folks, where is the accountability.  It's seems it's always "someone screwed up".  Well, how about the individual did not take enough care of their own condition to ensure all was in order. 

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline iherdya

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 10:10:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I could personally NEVER blame someone other than the kid themselves for them not being eligible, never.  Come on folks, where is the accountability.  It's seems it's always "someone screwed up".  Well, how about the individual did not take enough care of their own condition to ensure all was in order.

i don't know that this is the case with rondale, but indiana's top football recruit is ineligible because indiana's compliance office told him what he needed to take his senior year of high school to be eligible at iu as a freshman. he took that schedule, passed, but it was wrong so he was ruled ineligible by the ncaa.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 10:10:53 AM »