Author Topic: President Gilbert contract extension  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Big City

IronMan & Multisport Athlete
2 x American Triple T Finisher
Celebrated beer drinker

HerdFans.com

President Gilbert contract extension
« on: July 19, 2017, 06:51:18 PM »

Offline Scottyo614

Re: President Gilbert contract extension
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:19:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hmm. Premature extension...?

Online herd2win

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 08:24:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • The guy has had zero impact and is letting Gee run all over him...he is not a difference maker...

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE, Apollo, Scottyo614

Offline coalherd

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:20:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Makes one wonder just what kind of contract was given to Gilbert initially.  Kopp died in what, 2014?  The search committee for his successor launched a search, reviewed selected candidates, and then REOPENED the search.  Took a good year to name Kopp's successor.  Now his contract expires in early 2018?  Did he sign just a 3 year deal initially with MU?  Would think that most presidential candidates would want a longer term, 4 or 5 years, in order to settle in, survey the landscape, so to speak, and then formulate their specific plan/goals for the school during their tenure.  Just wonder if MU selected Gilbert because he may have agreed to a lower salary than other candidates and was willing to accept a shorter termed deal in his contract.

That said, don't think MU would like to go through another presidential search anytime soon, especially with WV's financial picture being what it is.  Do know Gilbert has pledged to at least follow Kopp's stated goal of increasing enrollment and has stressed recruitment of more foreign students, like Kopp, through the INTO program.  Also, word is that MU may be about to, in next few months, announce a new capital campaign, and having some stability in the administration would certainly be a key factor in such a campaign.

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 10:35:35 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Met Dr. Gilbert on one occasion and have observed his efforts to increase out of state enrollment. The positions he discussed and supported showed a great amount of learning about Marshall - WV & the political & economic landscape ahead.

No one should expect miracles from him in first 18 months?

My limited knowledge about his understanding of Marshall and the challenges seems like he really gets it from all angles.

I think it's a great move to tell him he's on the right path and to keep up the effort.

The following users thanked this post: Flat Tire 2

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:19:20 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • The guy has had zero impact and is letting Gee run all over him...he is not a difference maker...

I'm assuming you have no insight or inside information b/c I can assure you that you are wrong on all 3 counts.  He's the best thing to happen to Marshall academics in a generation.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2

Offline MUinDE

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 09:30:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm assuming you have no insight or inside information b/c I can assure you that you are wrong on all 3 counts.  He's the best thing to happen to Marshall academics in a generation.

Please explain why you believe this. I'm genuinely interested in hearing some facts and good news on his accomplishments that I've apparently missed.

The following users thanked this post: jstherd

Online herd2win

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 09:48:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm assuming you have no insight or inside information b/c I can assure you that you are wrong on all 3 counts.  He's the best thing to happen to Marshall academics in a generation.

I guarantee you I have more insight then you might imagine....I am correct on all counts.

Offline jstherd

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 10:46:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshallmark, this is not intended to be argumentive, but I would like to read about Gilbert's accomplishments.  I give dollars to the academic side of the university and I'm certainly interested.

Online herd2win

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Radio silence from Marshallmark on responses to the questions...

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 11:05:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I suspect MarshallMark has not seen the request for more info OR is gathering some specific documentable info. I have read many positive articles about Dr. Gilbert's efforts but have pitched many of the info magazines from the Foundation, Alumni or other academic sources.

I hope he can articulate what I have read.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
  • [Like]4
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1)  He's streamlined the administration w/out morale breaking mass layoffs -- and that's ongoing.
    2)  He's had to deal with unprecedented lack of support from the state.  Now down to around 17% of budget (was 72% in '80s)
    3)  He's established general undergrad courses in South Charleston - something Kopp wouldn't do (for a variety of reasons, some that were valid)
    4)  He's put real $ into recruiting students - for the first time, really, ever
    5)  He's in the process of re-evaluating Marshall's focus as an academic institution - including resurrecting its teacher ed mission
    6)  He's a visible, eloquent, knowledgeable presence at Marshall and non-Marshall functions

There is more, but I think #2 is the most important - I can't imagine any of us going into a new job and having 10-20% of our budget pulled out from under us, and still wanting to stay in that job. 

Most presidents either tick off the faculty, tick off the students, tick off the community or tick off the Board of Governors (or some combination of those).  He's done none of them, and has MU headed in the right direction in all counts.

And, I hadn't answered previously b/c I was doing my job not b/c I didn't have a response.

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Garbanjo, 2xBison, svherd, wasbarryb, ArizonaHerd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 12:20:40 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hmm. Premature extension...?

Not at all. His contract was ending in January. Plus, he has done a great job. I was really concerned that we would go backward when Steve died. Not the case at all. He is the right person for the job.
    « Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:24:42 PM by Herdmeister »
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Garbanjo, 2xBison

Online herd2win

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 12:33:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lets wait until the Fall registration is complete and compare the % increase/decrease in enrollment from when he started to now and then lets compare WVUs % increase/decrease for the same time period...that would be a fair judge on if he is having an impact or not.

Just because you don't upset people doesn't mean you are doing a good job....some people need to be upset.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 12:50:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lets wait until the Fall registration is complete and compare the % increase/decrease in enrollment from when he started to now and then lets compare WVUs % increase/decrease for the same time period...that would be a fair judge on if he is having an impact or not.

Just because you don't upset people doesn't mean you are doing a good job....some people need to be upset.

No, its really not.  WVU has some huge advantages that MU does not have to deal with, including (1) its out of state tuition is the same or similar to those for in-state PA and NJ students that can't get into Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, etc.  Marshall doesn't have that advantage in relation to OH or KY - state schools in those states have in-state tuition that's significantly lower than Marshall's out of state - or even "metro" tuition rate; (2) WVU's core feeder communities are booming, i.e. Morgantown, central WV around Fairmont/Bridgeport, eastern panhandle, etc., while Marshall's core feeder communities in SW West Virginia is reducing and dwindling at a rapid and alarming rate; and (3) recruiting efforts take 3 years to start seeing results - you're not going to convince seniors to come here... you need to start working on them when they are sophomores.

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, ArizonaHerd

Online herd2win

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 12:58:36 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]4
  • So you are saying that Gilbert should have 5 years before it is fair to evaluate him?  Wow you are generous...good thing that you don't run a business that does not have the safety net of being a state or federal government job.  Impactful people can show immediate results...

You just became an excuse maker....winners don't make excuses they figure out how to be successful working through the hurdles they face.

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 01:05:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So you are saying that Gilbert should have 5 years before it is fair to evaluate him?  Wow you are generous...good thing that you don't run a business that does not have the safety net of being a state or federal government job.  Impactful people can show immediate results...

You just became an excuse maker....winners don't make excuses they figure out how to be successful working through the hurdles they face.

Then, I'm just a loser.   ::)

- E-Man

Offline coalherd

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 03:16:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • According to write-up in today's Charleston paper Gilbert has been at MU since January 2016.  This is July 2017, a year and a half later.  Critics expecting "instant results" should be specific.  What kind of miraculous, tangible results do people expect in one and a half years?  Staving off continual state budget cuts and keeping the University functioning as a viable entity seems to be the main priority, no matter who is sitting in the President's chair!

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 03:21:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No, its really not.  WVU has some huge advantages that MU does not have to deal with, including (1) its out of state tuition is the same or similar to those for in-state PA and NJ students that can't get into Penn State, Pitt, Rutgers, etc.  Marshall doesn't have that advantage in relation to OH or KY - state schools in those states have in-state tuition that's significantly lower than Marshall's out of state - or even "metro" tuition rate; (2) WVU's core feeder communities are booming, i.e. Morgantown, central WV around Fairmont/Bridgeport, eastern panhandle, etc., while Marshall's core feeder communities in SW West Virginia is reducing and dwindling at a rapid and alarming rate; and (3) recruiting efforts take 3 years to start seeing results - you're not going to convince seniors to come here... you need to start working on them when they are sophomores.

wvu has always had a large enrollment from PA since the 1960's. Kids who couldn't get into Pitt or Penn State enrolled at Morgantown because they could be accepted and tuition was cheap. wvu also has the advantage of having more academic programs to attract students. I believe in the late 1960's MU had more WV students than wvu had in school. But WV had a larger population in southern WV at that time which feed MU's enrollment. Those days are gone. It is an apples and oranges comparison. NJ students are going to wvu because of the Interstate 68 gives them easy access to Morgantown.

Kids from Richmond VA are attending wvu when they can't get accepted into the better VA schools. A lot of the Richmond kids use to go ecu.

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 08:18:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not at all. His contract was ending in January. Plus, he has done a great job. I was really concerned that we would go backward when Steve died. Not the case at all. He is the right person for the job.

How far has he moved the university forward from where Kopp left it? I was asking a serious question more so than negative.

Offline Surbadger

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 08:29:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • How far has he moved the university forward from where Kopp left it? I was asking a serious question more so than negative.

To be honest, I think we should be extremely happy if Marshall could just stay where it is with all the university has been through the past couple years. Gilbert has done great things to push Marshall forward though in academic recruiting, student involvement, and professor relations.

I don't mean to seem disrespectful, but Kopp wasn't loved as a president by all. He might have done good for us fans, but he was not well liked by the academic faculty too well. This is from a professor at MU and it tells because the faculty made a vote of no-confidence.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To be honest, I think we should be extremely happy if Marshall could just stay where it is with all the university has been through the past couple years. Gilbert has done great things to push Marshall forward though in academic recruiting, student involvement, and professor relations.

I don't mean to seem disrespectful, but Kopp wasn't loved as a president by all. He might have done good for us fans, but he was not well liked by the academic faculty too well. This is from a professor at MU and it tells because the faculty made a vote of no-confidence.

No inside info, but Dr. Koop whom I believe did everything he could, including postponing a Drs. Appt..
    to help Marshall get through a very tough financial time. I think he acted with haste that offended the deans & professors, but I also think the legislature left hm very few options.

From the announcement of fund reductions, there had to be quick reactions to avoid huge over spends and Dr. Koop did not foresee the uprising and no confidence vote.

Hindsight says he had to make the call but should have spent time with some key VPs to communicate.

He was under a lot of pressure back then...

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 10:01:41 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall faces some huge issues and athletics isn't even a part of that focus. Increasing enrollment, improving our reputation academically and keeping tuition costs down are the big issues Gilbert is facing. Jmo.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: k00laid, Flat Tire 2

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 09:02:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • How far has he moved the university forward from where Kopp left it? I was asking a serious question more so than negative.

He has done a lot in terms of student recruitment. Opening the South Charleston center for undergrad classes was a help as well.
    He is super involved with the student body. I would think that he is well liked. I haven't spoken to any of the professors about him even though my next door neighbor is one.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline MarshallManiac

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Winners don't try to call somebody out for not answering after less than 2 hours.
    « Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:09:05 PM by MarshallManiac »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 03:06:18 PM »