Author Topic: The Dot' gets a makeover  (Read 2429 times)

Online biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
The Dot' gets a makeover
« on: July 17, 2017, 04:46:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    The turf that was just removed from the stadium was installed in early 2008 - ahead of the start date of the 2008 season in March.

Marshall athletic director Mike Hamrick announced the renovations to Dot Hicks Field in May while Marshall was competing in the 2017 NCAA Tournament in Lexington, Ky.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall_sports/the-dot-gets-a-makeover/article_7eb1cf85-3b43-56eb-aa94-7a7b7ff13f91.html

HerdFans.com

The Dot' gets a makeover
    « on: July 17, 2017, 04:46:52 AM »

Offline Daherdboy

Re: The Dot' gets a makeover
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:23:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The next best statement to come out of the Shewey would be "Let There Be Light"....as in lights for The Dot.  They would go well with the new turf and the newer fence installed last year.
    Retired 10 years early to follow Herd sports.
    Those 10 years have been marvelous.

Online herd2win

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No offense to the softball team but spending extra money for lights for a team that only garners a few hundred fans a game does not make sense on any front.  Proud of what the team did but clearly by the new coaching choices MH has a clear understanding that money should not be poured into this team.  The new turf is a result of a warranty claim and not a new expense I believe.

If softball would not have been a Kopp pet project we would have had a baseball field now instead. 

Offline iherdya

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 10:15:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If softball would not have been a Kopp pet project we would have had a baseball field now instead.

that's 100% false. the softball field was paid for and built by capstone because they needed the land old softball field to build the new dorms on campus.

Offline ThunderingHerdFan

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 10:18:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• If softball would not have been a Kopp pet project we would have had a baseball field now instead.

That's not true.

"Only a few hundred fans" outdraws baseball. And I am a baseball guy.

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 12:05:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Whether it's right or not, or for whatever reason or not...this has to feel like a slap in the face to the baseball team. Unacceptable for them not to have a field. Get it done already. "We can't find land" is a lame excuse. Find it somewhere and get it done. It's been how many decades? Many challenges in building a stadium but that's all they are is challenges... that need met, problems that need solved... they (those challenges) shouldn't turn into excuses that last for 80 years.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Offline cincyherd

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 12:56:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • An upside to climate change may be that Huntington's spring weather becomes suited for playing baseball outdoors.
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:03:06 PM by cincyherd »

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 01:07:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • An upside to climate change may be that Huntington's spring weather becomes suited to playing baseball outdoors.

I dont care who ya are , thats funny right there .

It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

Offline jstherd

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope the athletic department saves the old turf to put on the new baseball stadium.

Offline marshall fanatic

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 02/2004
    « Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Lights would allow Marshall to host the CUSA sotball tournament.

Online herd2win

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 02:15:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hosting the softball tourney will not be a financial driver...how many big soccer events have happened since we built the new soccer stadium...has not led to a Mecca of cash flow.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Whether it's right or not, or for whatever reason or not...this has to feel like a slap in the face to the baseball team. Unacceptable for them not to have a field. Get it done already. "We can't find land" is a lame excuse. Find it somewhere and get it done. It's been how many decades? Many challenges in building a stadium but that's all they are is challenges... that need met, problems that need solved... they (those challenges) shouldn't turn into excuses that last for 80 years.

Dismay not, CHAMPISHERE, for don't you know, Mayor Williams and Mike Hamrick "have a PLAN"!!

The following users thanked this post: THECHAMPISHERE

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »

Offline NewBombTerk

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope the athletic department saves the old turf to put on the new baseball stadium.

do you know the difference between a softball fields dimensions and a baseball fields dimensions ?
    On Halloween night 1965, The Beverly Hills Residents Assocoation wants to tear down TUBBY'S DRIVE INN and one year later open an office building. For one last night The "HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS" reigned supreme and left their mark on Beverly Hills forever !

Offline coalherd

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 03:54:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • do you know the difference between a softball fields dimensions and a baseball fields dimensions ?

NewBombTerk, perhaps the poster was referring to use of the old turf in the bullpens of the baseball facility.  ;D

Offline wesnky

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 03:55:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • do you know the difference between a softball fields dimensions and a baseball fields dimensions ?

We are downsizing the baseball field dimensions to fit in the Herds budget. ;D

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, chris88

Online herd2win

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think saving the turf was a tongue in cheek comment...
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:10:46 PM by herd2win »

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 10:35:50 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0

Why would it feel like a slap in the face to baseball?  They're different sports, completely. That would be like saying baseball should be mad that tennis got new courts or soccer got a new stadium.

Softball played in the barest of bones field in the league for years. Then that field was destroyed to put the new dorms in. They replaced it with a better facility than they had.

I guess what I am saying is, it is extremely small minded to compare baseball to the softball field being built. It's actually petty and off-putting at times. Baseball should get a field, absolutely. But stop acting like no other sports should get anything.

The following users thanked this post: Daherdboy

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 09:53:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Why would it feel like a slap in the face to baseball?  They're different sports, completely. That would be like saying baseball should be mad that tennis got new courts or soccer got a new stadium.

Huh? Baseball and Softball are different sports completely? They are basically the exact same sport. I can't believe I even had to comment on that of all things. Am I in the twilight zone here? "Softball is just as different than baseball as TENNIS AND SOCCER IS?"  Are you on drugs? REALLY? DID YOU JUST SAY THAT? NO. It is the exact SAME sport.

Sure it feels like a small slap in the face to the baseball team, when you give the girls version of the sport upgrades while the baseball team doesn't even have a field.

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huh? Baseball and Softball are different sports completely? They are basically the exact same sport. I can't believe I even had to comment on that of all things. Am I in the twilight zone here? "Softball is just as different than baseball as TENNIS AND SOCCER IS?"  Are you on drugs? REALLY? DID YOU JUST SAY THAT? NO. It is the exact SAME sport.

Sure it feels like a small slap in the face to the baseball team, when you give the girls version of the sport upgrades while the baseball team doesn't even have a field.

They have a bat and ball and run bases. 3 strikes, 4 balls, 3 outs. The rest of the sport is different. That's why it's called softball, not women's baseball. The games play totally different. If you actually watched both, you would learn that.

The more incredulous you attempt to act, the more your ignorance shows through. And seeing that it's a willful ignorance yet you keep talking, well...that's on you.

Offline THECHAMPISHERE

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 10:39:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They have a bat and ball and run bases. 3 strikes, 4 balls, 3 outs. The rest of the sport is different. That's why it's called softball, not women's baseball. The games play totally different. If you actually watched both, you would learn that.

The more incredulous you attempt to act, the more your ignorance shows through. And seeing that it's a willful ignorance yet you keep talking, well...that's on you.

Dude, again to say that TENNIS OR SOCCER is "just as different" is asinine. Yes there are small difference between the sports, but it's the SAME GAME DUDE. I mean are we really debating this?????? "The games play totally different?" LOL The games play like baseball!

No; the larger ball, smaller field, different pitching delivery, and a few other very very small rule differences (like for stealing, etc.) doesn't make Softball more like TENNIS (than like Baseball).

Where do people come up with this stuff?

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 11:16:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dude, again to say that TENNIS OR SOCCER is "just as different" is asinine. Yes there are small difference between the sports, but it's the SAME GAME DUDE. I mean are we really debating this?????? "The games play totally different?" LOL The games play like baseball!

No; the larger ball, smaller field, different pitching delivery, and a few other very very small rule differences (like for stealing, etc.) doesn't make Softball more like TENNIS (than like Baseball).

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Allow me to simplify this for your pea brain. Each sport runs independently of one another, under the athletic department. One has nothing to do with the other. They operate as differently as swimming and diving does from track and field or tennis. They don't rely on one another for anything.

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dang!!!

I was just glancing at the topic headings while watching the tube and misread that topic heading.

I was so hopeful when I thought the topic was "Doc gets a makeover."

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 01:54:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dang!!!

I was just glancing at the topic headings while watching the tube and misread that topic heading.

I was so hopeful when I thought the topic was "Doc gets a makeover."

Doesn't need makeover, NEEDS a "DO OVER" from last season...

Offline svherd

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 04:04:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hosting the softball tourney will not be a financial driver...how many big soccer events have happened since we built the new soccer stadium...has not led to a Mecca of cash flow.

They've had a few regional soccer games on it and the WVFC teams practice there because the MU soccer coaches coach those teams as well. But beyond that, no other club or team is allowed to rent/use it. Marshall isn't making any new fans with that policy either.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline NewBombTerk

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 01:47:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • when is the new turf being installed ????? the place has sat "BARE" all this week !
    On Halloween night 1965, The Beverly Hills Residents Assocoation wants to tear down TUBBY'S DRIVE INN and one year later open an office building. For one last night The "HOLLYWOOD KNIGHTS" reigned supreme and left their mark on Beverly Hills forever !

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 01:47:41 AM »