Author Topic: NCAA D1 Basketball Committee Redefines "Quality Win"  (Read 417 times)

Offline pembrook burrows III

NCAA D1 Basketball Committee Redefines "Quality Win"
« on: July 14, 2017, 06:00:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-men-s-basketball-committee-redefines-quality-win

This is an interesting read. One of the quotes - "A road win against a team ranked 60th is mathematically more difficult and of a higher quality than a home win against a team ranked 35th."

Another quote - "There was a consensus that a composite rating was a better indicator than the RPI alone."

The RPI has been the primary rating system relied on by the Committee in the past, though it had access to the other rating systems. Going forward, the NCAA is going to look at how different composite rankings perform in real time.

Another quote - "The bottom line is we recognize the need to continue using more modern metrics and the need to make those more front and center in the sorting of data for the selection and seeding process."

Sounds like #danalytics!

Will this help mid-majors like Marshall? I think it possibly could. Mid-majors have to play a lot on the road prior to the conference schedule, so some key road wins should garner more brownie points for the Committee. And now if one of the big boys plays a game at Marshall, they will not be so penalized as long as they win. Maybe this will make these games a bit easier to schedule. 

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:02:30 PM by pembrook burrows III »

HerdFans.com

NCAA D1 Basketball Committee Redefines "Quality Win"
    « on: July 14, 2017, 06:00:53 PM »

Offline herdfan429

Re: NCAA D1 Basketball Committee Redefines "Quality Win"
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 09:36:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The NCAA rarely does anything to benefit mid majors

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:52:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I didnt read it but im betting we just got screwed more . More than likely made it harder for schools like MU to compete .
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

HerdFans.com

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:52:19 PM »