Author Topic: Landon: MU hoops offering young prospects  (Read 6887 times)

Offline chris88

Re: Landon: MU hoops offering young prospects
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 06:10:51 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • ODU only had 2 SRs from a squad who finished 12-6 in league.  Both Sr's were starters: one a SR captain who averaged 6.7 ppg and led them in FT%. The other was all league defensive player and one of their better rebounders.  Still they have top 4 scorers back. There OOC schedule is nothing special.  They play at VCU and in a tourney with several P5 teams.  Outside of that just mostly regional teams like Richmond, WM, Norfolk etc.  MU beat ODU 64-63 in CUSA qtrs. last yr
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2017, 06:10:51 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2017, 08:44:34 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • HM, I'll throw in a little info pertaining to this subject.  Was on UNCC's sports website lately and since around FEB/MAR their basketball coach, Prince, has signed 6 or 7 new players.

It appears that Price, a former NBA player, has hit the JUCO circuit hard, and has been angling for "size".  Has inked a 6'10", 260# center, Juco, plus about 3 or 4 6'8" players, a 6'6" guard and a small guard.  These latter players are a mixture of Jucos and HS players mainly from strong programs in and around Charlotte or elsewhere in NC.

May be an indication that the 49ers intend on "pounding" the ball inside.  If Iran is not eligible, hope we have sufficient help for Penava, Thompson, Milan and company from some of our up front newcomers.

Also, hope you and herdorbust don't plan on overlooking ODU.  Jeff Jones is a veteran coach, not sure of their new signees, but I believe the Monarchs have BOTH Stith brothers back, and the bigger one has been able to score fairly easily just about game he has played against the Herd.  Could just be that CUSA may be deeper in pretty good teams this coming season than it has been since Memphis, Tulsa, Hoooston, FUC, etc., left the league.  Can't hardly wait for the first Jump Ball!!

Believe me, I'm not overlooking the Monarchs. The league may be as good or better top to bottom as it has ever been since we have been a member. Though there is no east and west in basketball, using the football lingo, the east side is loaded, for sure.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree. I'm not overlooking ODU. Jones plays in your face defense and they are always tough. Utep will also be improved. This league is better than it gets credit for and has some really good coaches. I also agree that the league may be better from top too bottom since Memphis left. Gonna be a fun year in hoops how ever it turns out.

Offline daytonacane

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2017, 03:23:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Should be an interesting game with FAU.  One of your RB's is from Daytona Beach and played a year at FAU , then @ Div. II school in Arizona and was their top RB @ both schools, so hope he does well and finishes his college career at Marshall....Trey Rodriguez.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2017, 10:05:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://twitter.com/GrantTraylor/status/886349838853574657

This guy would fit Dan's system like a glove!

Remember those plays from Stevie Browning and James Kelly; they're in the playbook.
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:31:26 AM by Buffalo Bop »

Offline chris88

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2017, 11:39:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree. I'm not overlooking ODU. Jones plays in your face defense and they are always tough. Utep will also be improved. This league is better than it gets credit for and has some really good coaches. I also agree that the league may be better from top too bottom since Memphis left. Gonna be a fun year in hoops how ever it turns out.

Agree.  Also remember MU was just 4-11 in true road contests last year (13-3 at home and 3-1 neutral).  Early in year I think MU could struggle at F position as they try and replace R. Taylors versatility but will be better once players settle into roles. UTEP, LT, MTSU will be good. UAB gets all league type guard Horton back; WK could be very good.  ODU will be a contender. Rice will likely step back after losing coach and top player...too bad as they were really on an upward trajectory.  CUSA will have to do better than last year vs P5 schools if they want a shot at 2nd NCAA bid. As a league CUSA should try and have the toughest OOC schedule imo.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 10:37:17 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • According to his twitter feed we have just offered Zac Ervin.  He is a 6'5 shooting guard and on same team as McCkung.  Class of 2019. 
    How have we not offered Zion Dobbs yet? Or have we and its just not been reported by Dobbs.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 10:52:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ervin also has offers from Duquense, ETSU and JMU i believe. Maybe DD is trying to sweeten the pot for Mcclung. Looks like Ervin is a player also.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know they are in a different class. But if they are good friends that could be the tipping point for Mcclung. Who knows?

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 11:10:33 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you google Zac Ervin you will see he would be a great pick up as well.  He will end up getting a plethora of offers as well IMO.

The following users thanked this post: lovetheherd2, Garbanjo

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like the sound of the Mac and Zac show. ;D

Offline coalherd

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2017, 07:35:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree.  Also remember MU was just 4-11 in true road contests last year (13-3 at home and 3-1 neutral).  Early in year I think MU could struggle at F position as they try and replace R. Taylors versatility but will be better once players settle into roles. UTEP, LT, MTSU will be good. UAB gets all league type guard Horton back; WK could be very good.  ODU will be a contender. Rice will likely step back after losing coach and top player...too bad as they were really on an upward trajectory.  CUSA will have to do better than last year vs P5 schools if they want a shot at 2nd NCAA bid. As a league CUSA should try and have the toughest OOC schedule imo.

chris88, believe UAB also still has their big "stud", 6'9" William Lee, back for his, finally, senior season.  Seems like that dude has been playing for the Blazers for about 6 years or so!!

I feel the same way about MTSU's Giddy Potts, an all name team selection, for sure.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2017, 07:35:41 PM »

Offline saherdfan

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2017, 12:05:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Noah Rittinger  Winfield WV
    David Early      Logan WV
    Anochili-Killen   Chapmanville wv
    Tanner Holden  Wheelersburg (Ohio)
    Jeremy Dillo     Mingo wv
    Mikal Dawson   Huntington WV
    Mac McClung    Gate City (Va.) White Chocolate the 2nd

Really thought DD was crazy thinking he could compete with Tri-state / wv players.  I am on board.  If he can get these guys on the bus we are going to have a lot of fun times ahead.  It would be real fun going to the NCAA's with a bunch of WV boys!
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:14:58 AM by saherdfan »

Offline saherdfan

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 12:13:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• &t=311s

Offline Apollo

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 01:48:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Noah Rittinger  Winfield WV
    David Early      Logan WV
    Anochili-Killen   Chapmanville wv
    Tanner Holden  Wheelersburg (Ohio)
    Jeremy Dillo     Mingo wv
    Mikal Dawson   Huntington WV
    Mac McClung    Gate City (Va.) White Chocolate the 2nd

Really thought DD was crazy thinking he could compete with Tri-state / wv players.  I am on board.  If he can get these guys on the bus we are going to have a lot of fun times ahead.  It would be real fun going to the NCAA's with a bunch of WV boys!

I hope he can land all of those guys but I'd wager once Killen, Early, and Dawson get a little more exposure, we'll lose them to a P5 or god forbid that bunch up north.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Danny has the luxury of going after mostly guards now. Having Bennett, Robinette, Williams and George for at least 4 more years lets him go after guards. And the ones he is going after all can play. He really has recruiting going his way now.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »