Author Topic: Food at the Joan  (Read 7397 times)

Offline iherdya

Re: Food at the Joan
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2017, 07:38:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Which means, iherdya, that Mike Hamrick has plenty of time to GET OFF HIS DUFF, look into and research thoroughly fans concerns/complaints, possible changes/additions to food offerings, etc., etc.  Let's just hope he doesn't take his typical status quo, easy way out approach and just perfunctorily agree to go along with another contract with Sodexho with no real changes forthcoming.

he can do all that, but ultimately the decision will be made by main campus whether to renew with sodexo or not. athletics concessions will play a part of that decision, but based on how little those revenues are compared to the rest of the contract it'll play a much smaller part on the decision making process.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2017, 07:38:48 AM »

Offline iherdya

« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2017, 07:41:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall needs to tell Sodexho to pound sand.  They have wrung every cent they can out of what they provide to Marshall.  Their "food" takes away from the game day experience.  It's just another product that has turned to %^&* in the name of cost cutting.  I am sure they thought nobody would notice.  This is why many companies are getting away from outsourcing and bringing core functions in house.  The ability to control your product is paramount.

why would we tell sodexo to pound sand? i'm with you guys that concessions sucks, but the vast majority of feedback i've heard about their other services (that make up probably 80-90% of revenues they generate for us) has been great.

considering pretty much every d1, nfl, nba, nhl, etc team uses someone like sodexo for their concessions and basically every major college campus has a food service contract instead of doing it themselves, your outsourcing analogy really doesn't fit. that said, i know several major tech firms i've had to work with have pulled back on outsourcing, i know just as many that have started/increased. just because some are doing it, doesn't mean it's becoming the norm.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • he can do all that, but ultimately the decision will be made by main campus whether to renew with sodexo or not. athletics concessions will play a part of that decision, but based on how little those revenues are compared to the rest of the contract it'll play a much smaller part on the decision making process.

No doubt true, iherdya, but again I'd like to know if there have been ANY student evaluations/assessments of the campus food service?  Would think that in exploring ANY and ALL possible areas of the University with the goal being to grow, and SIGNIFICANTLY grow, the enrollment over the next few years, that the administration would conduct a survey of the campus living experience, i.e., dorm life, quality of campus food services, etc.  If such survey would identify similar problems, deficiencies, and dissatisfaction with Sodexho's performance in its operation of the campus food services matching some of the criticisms that have been mentioned regarding the company's performance, or lack thereof, at the Joan and the Cam, then maybe some changes overall need to be made.

Offline MUther

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2017, 01:55:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nothing wrong with giving them the campus, but telling them that athletics will not be included unless X, Y, Z.  Also, there is the matter of alcohol sales in stadium, now.  That will be an increase in the athletic venue revenue stream with a major profit margin.  Sodexho is not going to want to give that up, offering us a bit more leverage. 

All I'm asking for is that they serve us (MU) as we require or we find another way.  They've offered crap for 2 decades.  They offer better other places.  We certainly are not the lowest rung on the ladder of venues they service and have a good steady fanbase.  No reason not to explore changes.  And if they are unwilling, then pound sand.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2017, 08:03:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nothing wrong with giving them the campus, but telling them that athletics will not be included unless X, Y, Z.  Also, there is the matter of alcohol sales in stadium, now.  That will be an increase in the athletic venue revenue stream with a major profit margin.  Sodexho is not going to want to give that up, offering us a bit more leverage. 

All I'm asking for is that they serve us (MU) as we require or we find another way.  They've offered crap for 2 decades.  They offer better other places.  We certainly are not the lowest rung on the ladder of venues they service and have a good steady fanbase.  No reason not to explore changes.  And if they are unwilling, then pound sand.

Actually, Marshall only expects to make about $50k per year with beer sales. MU gets 30% of what Sodexo gets
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline iherdya

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2017, 08:04:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

as herdmeister mentions beer revenues isn't going to be THAT much. sodexo literally makes millions on the campus part of the food service contract and probably doesn't make even $1m on athletics.

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister

Online svherd

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2017, 08:20:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • as herdmeister mentions beer revenues isn't going to be THAT much. sodexo literally makes millions on the campus part of the food service contract and probably doesn't make even $1m on athletics.

But given our dire financial situation with at the school, any increase in revenue is needed and with food inprovements, we can possibly make more. Add to that, beer sales and improved food options add to the gameday experience that MH has been harping on lately. It shouldn't be as hard to rectify as some suggest.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline iherdya

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2017, 08:28:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • But given our dire financial situation with at the school, any increase in revenue is needed and with food inprovements, we can possibly make more. Add to that, beer sales and improved food options add to the gameday experience that MH has been harping on lately. It shouldn't be as hard to rectify as some suggest.

i honestly think the biggest issue with our food concessions is right now there's no way to actually cook the food in the concession/during the game. literally everything is made hours ahead of time and then sits in a hotbox becoming gross. it'd take i'm guessing hundreds of thousands of dollars to renovate our current concessions to actually cook food or build a large kitchen area near the stadium for mass food production during the game.

hopefully when we do a full concourse expansion we include areas for grilling so they can at least grill burgers, dogs, whatever for a better/fresher option.
    « Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:52:59 AM by iherdya »

Online herd2win

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is a great point about not being able to cook the food at the stadium....I have been at those concession stands for many years and never paid attention that no cooking goes on.....maybe serve sushi which does not need any cooking...catch it fresh from the Ohio.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »