Author Topic: Food at the Joan  (Read 7396 times)

Offline W0lfman

Food at the Joan
« on: July 11, 2017, 06:02:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does anyone know John Pauley who works a Smithfield foods?  I was thinking a connection like him would be a great contact to reach out to regarding the food served at the Joan.  Smithfield foods is an excellent brand and would make a great partner.

HerdFans.com

Food at the Joan
    « on: July 11, 2017, 06:02:05 PM »

Offline Apollo

Re: Food at the Joan
    « Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 08:03:08 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Would be nice but they seem fixated on that nasty thunder dog and plastic ginos pizza as our only options.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 08:12:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Would be nice but they seem fixated on that nasty thunder dog and plastic ginos pizza as our only options.

"Low grade dog food"

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 08:29:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sodexo makes the food decisions
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

The following users thanked this post: Herdfan2005

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 09:06:31 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sodexo needs to up their game and that thunder dog needs to be replaced with a regular Stewie dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison, ed swain, Apollo

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 06:30:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i'd settle for more reasonable prices!

The following users thanked this post: Herdfan2005

Offline Big City

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 07:18:42 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • They should bring in 4-5 food trucks per game.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, svherd

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does anyone know if he is already involved with MU?  Since we are trying to become more fan friendly offering better amenities it honestly seems like he'd be someone we'd have a relationship with.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 08:32:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does anyone know if he is already involved with MU?  Since we are trying to become more fan friendly offering better amenities it honestly seems like he'd be someone we'd have a relationship with.

Again, that would have to go through Sodexo. Sodexo gets about 70-75% of the profit on each item sold. MU gets 25-30% of the profit.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Online svherd

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Again, that would have to go through Sodexo. Sodexo gets about 70-75% of the profit on each item sold. MU gets 25-30% of the profit.

And again, Marshall needs to look at this hard the next time the contract is up. Just don't rubber stamp it and re-up with them. If they want to enhance the game day experience, having more and better food options would go a long way. I love the idea of having food trucks lined up on 20th street before the game. Would add to the festive atmosphere. Hell, if they did that, going out at halftime may be worth it.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline NerdHaitian

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • It took Marshall ten years to get credit card machines in the concession stands, and I'm pretty sure there's still no ATM inside the stadium.  Temper your expectations.

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 08:57:46 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • Sodexo needs to up their game and that thunder dog needs to be replaced with a regular Stewie dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just get rid of hem they both suck

The following users thanked this post: MUther

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 08:57:46 AM »

Offline iherdya

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 08:59:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • It took Marshall ten years to get credit card machines in the concession stands, and I'm pretty sure there's still no ATM inside the stadium.  Temper your expectations.

there's been an atm (or two) on the west side for as long as i remember. but carry on...

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 09:27:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Does anyone know John Pauley who works a Smithfield foods?  I was thinking a connection like him would be a great contact to reach out to regarding the food served at the Joan.  Smithfield foods is an excellent brand and would make a great partner.

Smithfield is in the retail and wholesale meat business. They could provide some items to a food service company, but they are not in the restaurant side of the industry. It would be up to the food service vendor serving MU to contact them, not MU.

http://www.smithfieldfoods.com/our-brands

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 09:34:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm all about the caramel apples. Generally the only thing I buy inside the stadium and they don't offer them until well into fall as a general rule.

Offline Huffnagel

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 10:33:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As long as the lemonade peeps stay, I'll be fine! 😁
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

Offline Big City

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 10:35:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As long as the lemonade peeps stay, I'll be fine! 😁

Drop a splash of mango rum in that stuff... tasty
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Online MUonium

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 10:59:20 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm all about the caramel apples. Generally the only thing I buy inside the stadium and they don't offer them until well into fall as a general rule.
    As long as the lemonade peeps stay, I'll be fine! 😁
    Drop a splash of mango rum in that stuff... tasty

a rogue dentist
    a marshmallow
    and someone fresh off a island vacation!

i could be wrong

Offline iherdya

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 11:02:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Drop a splash of mango rum in that stuff... tasty

you mean shine

Offline IM4DHERD

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 11:05:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I dated his wife in Junior High School but I doubt that gets my foot in the door to introduce him to MU.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 12:55:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Smithfield is in the retail and wholesale meat business. They could provide some items to a food service company, but they are not in the restaurant side of the industry. It would be up to the food service vendor serving MU to contact them, not MU.

http://www.smithfieldfoods.com/our-brands

Also owned by the Chinese
    https://www.revealnews.org/article/how-china-purchased-a-prime-cut-of-americas-pork-industry/

"But in 2013, a Chinese firm bought this quintessential slice of Americana – Main Street and all. The takeover, valued at $7.1 billion, remains the largest-ever Chinese acquisition of an American company.

Naturally, it riled patriots and protectionists. Pope’s mother asked him why he sold to the communists. Pope also had to defend himself in the local newspaper: “These are not Russian communists. They like Americans.”

Some xenophobia was to be expected. Anti-Chinese racism in America goes back nearly as far as, well, holiday ham.

But behind the usual flag waving and Red Scare antics lies a stark new reality: Chinese companies, at the urging of their government, have launched a global buying spree, a new phase in their unprecedented economic experiment. And they’re targeting a resource that climate scientists, economists, the U.S. government, even Wall Street, all forecast will become dangerously scarce in the coming decades: food.

Food is poised to become the oil of the 21st century, with scarcity and demand creating a situation ripe for wars, riots and uprisings."

Online chris88

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 01:11:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Food is aweful but I think Sedexto is a campus wide contract.

Have to update options as crappy Ginos pizza and other items (nachos, popcorn, pretzels etc) have been around for 30 yrs.  I don't think the vending areas are equipped to cook, only heat, but I could be wrong.  Still add a couple of large smokers outside East gates and sell BBQ, chicken sand, and burgers at minimum.  The options now make hospital food seem gourmet.  I've had better choices at little league  and youth soccer concession stands.

Atlanta Falcons said they wanted to change how stadium food vending is done.  They will charge $2 a soft drink and have free refill stations around stadium as an example of thinking outside the box.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Apollo

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 01:11:59 PM »

Offline MUther

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 10:27:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kill the contract when up and open each window to the highest bidders, buying the spot on both sides of the stadium.   For example, Steak Escape buys west side vending window and they get east side as well.  Now fans get cheesesteaks and fries without walking around stadium.  Repeat with other bidders.  Get more money working with individual companies.  Put all the pretzels, popcorn, pre-made pizzas, candy, etc out on the concourse with some bottled water and pop vendors and the kettle corn/lemonade/candy apple etc.  No need to have a window dedicated to a popcorn machine and a frozen pretzel warmer.  Hotdogs, too, could be sold out of a warmer just like they are now, sitting on a table in the concourse.  Use the vending windows for things actually being cooked. 

I don't know about you guys but I miss playing Virginia Tech simply for the chance to go there and get the deep fried turkey legs.   Those things are awesome.

The following users thanked this post: chris88, Apollo

Offline coalherd

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 02:33:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Heck, even Class A Rookie League baseball franchise in Bluefield, WV, offers Barbecue sandwiches, Brats with onions/peppers. (both delicious) at its home ball games.

Marshall U. bringing up the rear in still another area.  So, what else is new?????
    « Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:34:56 AM by coalherd »

Offline iherdya

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 07:54:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kill the contract when up and open each window to the highest bidders, buying the spot on both sides of the stadium.   For example, Steak Escape buys west side vending window and they get east side as well.  Now fans get cheesesteaks and fries without walking around stadium.  Repeat with other bidders.  Get more money working with individual companies.  Put all the pretzels, popcorn, pre-made pizzas, candy, etc out on the concourse with some bottled water and pop vendors and the kettle corn/lemonade/candy apple etc.  No need to have a window dedicated to a popcorn machine and a frozen pretzel warmer.  Hotdogs, too, could be sold out of a warmer just like they are now, sitting on a table in the concourse.  Use the vending windows for things actually being cooked. 

I don't know about you guys but I miss playing Virginia Tech simply for the chance to go there and get the deep fried turkey legs.   Those things are awesome.

i'm guessing sodexo has first right of refusal, like most contract like that. but the plan you came up with means marshall is going to have to hire a ton more people, lose overall money for the campus food service contract guarantee, etc.

fyi, vt's awesome turkey legs are made by a company pretty much identical to sodexo.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 07:54:12 AM »