Author Topic: What does Marshall mean to you?  (Read 980 times)

Offline goherdcj05

What does Marshall mean to you?
« on: July 07, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would like to start a thread to give my Herd faithful the opportunity to share what Marshall means to you, for those that wish to do so.
        I of course will be glad to begin...

I remember starting college at Marshall, to me it was just a step toward an opportunity to something better. Once I began my studies at this great University I began to learn its rich, yet tragic history. I personally was going through a very difficult time in my life when the movie made its debut. I sat and watched as I worried about my own personal issues at the time, yet by the end of the picture that all meant very little to me. I genuinely felt I was being petty in regards to my own perils after seeing a depiction of such loss and tragedy so close to home. At that moment I realized I had to overcome my problems considering they were so miniscule in comparison. In the years following I was honored to to meet some historic figures related to my school's tragic past, such as Red Dawson and Jack Lengyel. If anything, Marshall and its great tradition had taught me to overcome adversity at all costs, to  continue to remain strong no matter what obstacles may lie ahead. That alone is enough for me to bleed green for my remaining days. Go Herd!
    We will NEVER forget...11/14/1970

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, Herd 90, biggreenarms, bighat

HerdFans.com

What does Marshall mean to you?
    « on: July 07, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »

Offline bighat

Re: What does Marshall mean to you?
    « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I started attending Marshall in 1967 and took a hiatus in 1971 to join Navy and returned in 1975 to finish.
    So I saw the bad and good in athletics.  As far as academics I have competed with many other schools in my profession and have not felt that I was lacking.

I bleed green.

The following users thanked this post: biggreenarms

Offline Herd-nficent

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When I started MU in 1961 my dad was teaching in the Engineering Dept.  (yes we had that department then)

My wife and I graduated from MU and I also have  MA and MS graduate degrees.   I can truthfully say Marshall gave me "the third degree."

In addition my daughter graduated from MU; however when my son was ready for college he had to go to WV Tech to get his Electrical Engineering degree because the MU Engineering Department  had been closed.

I remember going to games as a kid with my dad.  He had front row seats in the balcony at the old Field House and he would pound the metal rail with great enthusiasm and correct the referees with gusto.

My wife and I have had season tickets for FB and BB for years and years.  I remember at Fairfield stadium we would cheer for 1st downs because TD's were rare.  I even remember the live buffalo that tried to each the astro turf at Fairfleld.

This year is a sad one for me because due to health issues we are not getting our FB season tickets.  We hope to be able to single shot some games.  However; we do plan to keep our BB tickets for as long as we can. (closer parking and shorter games than FB)

Yes, MU has, is and will always be a great part of my life.

GO HERD !!!
    "What we see depends on what we look for"

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Always THE HERD, ed swain

Offline herd2win

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Family....that says it all.  Long family history of MU grads..professors and top executives...I have lived all over the country but nothing made me happier then to be with friends and family at MU games...went to games with my dad including the freshman football games at Fairfield and enjoyed the glory years of the 90s...I live MU...

Offline luvherd

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am now comfortably retired. If not for MU being in Htgn I am not sure where I would be but clearly not retired or with a degree. Thank you Marshall. Our sports is my favorite team by a delta that cannot be measured.

Go Herd!
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline Herd-nficent

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 02:33:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am surprised at the lack of response to the original post/question.

It seems that bitching and complaining is more popular to write about than positive memories.....go figure  !!!
    "What we see depends on what we look for"

Offline MUPE84

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Grew up in Huntington and as a kid my dad took me to Herd basketball games.  Instantly became a herd fan.  After graduating from HEHS in 1978 the most logical choice for me was Marshall.  Got my Physical Education degree and currently still teaching in cabell county.  So Marshall helped me get a degree and become one of the  biggest herd fans around.

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 01:50:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My experience will be a tad different. I was born and raised in Columbus. But up until 97 Friday's meant trips to Huntington to see the grandparents. 97 meant ROAD TRIPS! In the MAC everything was accessible. It was overcoming adversity and succeeding at high levels. It was fun. As I grew older and started sports Saturday trips took a back seat. Then college came and when sports ended due to injuries Marshall was where I ended up. That went ugly quick. Left after a year. I don't know if the school was it, the city or what but it wasn't what I hoped for. So went back to Columbus. After a couple years started to get back into it. Never missed a home game. Moved back to WV for a job. Again though no good. This time I could pinpoint things. Still loved Marshall despite some administration choices. Just not the city.

And so left again. Only to return later  to get married at the Foundation Hall. Marshall is like that first love. We might have our break ups and fights but we find our way back together again.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 01:50:17 PM »