Author Topic: ASN to cease operations  (Read 2421 times)

HerdFans.com

ASN to cease operations
« on: March 10, 2017, 06:52:45 PM »

Online ed swain

Re: ASN to cease operations
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 07:27:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This could be very bad news for us Herd fans that do not live near Huntington as I have been able to see all of the football games and many basketball games.Does anyone know if we can get these games on TV called Campus insiders.Anyone who knows how this will work please post it.I am very worried about this news.

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 07:34:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought the stream from campus insiders was pretty good. Channels like MASN  and MASN2 need programming. Not too worried about it now.

Offline whf

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 07:37:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I actually liked ASN, thought the broadcasts and quality of the technology was pretty good. I'll miss it a lot as living in an area who/which had a full schedule on digital TV (via Sinclair station ownership) afforded me a lot of chances to tune in to their programming. Sure hope CampusInsiders.com does offer their stream to DirecTV outlets like Altitude Sports, MASN, ASNC, etc.  I've enjoyed them quite a bit.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 07:37:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This could be very bad news for us Herd fans that do not live near Huntington as I have been able to see all of the football games and many basketball games.Does anyone know if we can get these games on TV called Campus insiders.Anyone who knows how this will work please post it.I am very worried about this news.

Ed then again this could be a blessing in disguise! Maybe, perhaps another bigger network will pick up CUSA.

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 07:42:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not good news for DISH OR DIRECT TV subscribers.

I got to see quite a few on ALT channels when local ASN channel chose not to show the games......

Offline whf

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 07:55:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I expect to see BeIN Sports College gamble higher on mid-major sports. They've got their own distribution network on cable, internet and satellite, and apparently pretty good announcer interest.  They have a built in market within which to expand, bringing new events to an audience already watching them worldwide.  Let's hope anyway.

Offline dshoe

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 10:05:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought the stream from campus insiders was pretty good. Channels like MASN  and MASN2 need programming. Not too worried about it now.

ASN did the production and transmission

Offline dshoe

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 10:14:37 PM »
  • [Like]2
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://www.themackreport.com/college-hockey/report-american-sports-network-to-go-off-the-air/

While this story is being reported everywhere, it isn't exactly accurate.......

ASN isn't going off the air and it isn't disappearing, in fact, look for it to add up to 10 million homes rather quickly and add an OTT app.....

Sinclair is NOT putting it out of business or selling it, it is however about to take in a partner to manage the network.....I've been a consultant to ASN for two years and the management team has been the singular problem in the network being successful.....the operations will move, management team wil be gone and replaced by a new team that will be chosen by the managing partner, but Sinclair will still be the major or at least a major player in the Network.....this should be seen as a solid opportunity for the rights owners that currently have contracts with ASN....... while this may not be the best solution for ASN, it is a giant step in the right direction.

This and other articles are premature and mostly inaccurate (but have some facts correct)...... no deal is as yet final, but one should be finalized soon.

The following users thanked this post: Thundering Herb, mr_ash_1995, goherd73, WoodyWoodrum, ed swain, The E-Man

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 10:32:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While this story is being reported everywhere, it isn't exactly accurate.......

ASN isn't going off the air and it isn't disappearing, in fact, look for it to add up to 10 million homes rather quickly and add an OTT app.....

Sinclair is NOT putting it out of business or selling it, it is however about to take in a partner to manage the network.....I've been a consultant to ASN for two years and the management team has been the singular problem in the network being successful.....the operations will move, management team wil be gone and replaced by a new team that will be chosen by the managing partner, but Sinclair will still be the major or at least a major player in the Network.....this should be seen as a solid opportunity for the rights owners that currently have contracts with ASN....... while this may not be the best solution for ASN, it is a giant step in the right direction.

This and other articles are premature and mostly inaccurate (but have some facts correct)...... no deal is as yet final, but one should be finalized soon.

Thanks, Shoe! your insights are very much appreciated always!

Offline scuberman

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 11:17:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While this story is being reported everywhere, it isn't exactly accurate.......

I am like E Man, I appreciate the information.  I personally like ASN and think it provides a service to programs like Marshall.  I also hope CUSA gets more involved with Campus Insiders.   I would like to see more of our Olympic sports available to viewer and  I was disappointed with the CUSA package.  There was no consistency between schools and their internet programming.   

Online ed swain

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 11:35:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This info makes me feel much better as ASN was our main source for Herd football on the Dish.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 11:35:55 PM »

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 11:53:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ASN needs a better presence in the southeast. I have to watch a crappy stream when games are on ASN since it's not available outside dish packages here.

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 12:21:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks for the info Dan . I've been in contact with ASN twice in the last 2 years asking about an OTT app. Last month they replied to look for it later in the year. Glad to hear that might still be a reality. 

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 07:33:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting information Dshoe.  Thanks for sharing.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

HerdFans.com

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 07:33:09 AM »