Author Topic: MTSU lobbying for a spot in the AAC  (Read 7763 times)

Offline ThunderValley

Re: MTSU lobbying for a spot in the AAC
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2016, 05:23:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What teams came in and actually complained about the airport and hotel?????

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2016, 05:23:10 PM »

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2016, 05:29:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What teams came in and actually complained about the airport and hotel?????

The only one I can ever think of was the ucf knights and that pr*ck A.J.Rompza. Remember they sent text and pictures on Twitter about how bad Huntington, it's Hotel and Airport accommodations was..
    « Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:34:27 PM by The E-Man »

The following users thanked this post: herd_67, beau42m

Online 2xBison

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2016, 05:55:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • And they were right
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline Thunders

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2016, 08:29:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Attendance for home games seems to have little to do with being invited to conferences. Think about the AAC last time. They took a couple schools we average way more in attendance. Didn't help us 
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline coalherd

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2016, 08:59:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only one I can ever think of was the ucf knights and that pr*ck A.J.Rompza. Remember they sent text and pictures on Twitter about how bad Huntington, it's Hotel and Airport accommodations was..

Aaaah, E-man.  Ooompa Roommpa.  Definitely a first teamer on the all time Herd opponents "dickhead" team!!!!!

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man, beau42m

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2016, 11:14:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hotels and airport are a huge issue.

We can at least pitch the new remodeled Double Tree though.  Rumor of another full service hotel in conjunction with the new Barboursville development was going around, too.

Airport situation won't ever get better.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2016, 11:29:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • someone tell me about Greenville NC's great airport and hotel situation as well as Hattiesburg and So Miss.............I honestly don't know but I'm just thinking realy, is a doubletree in Hton and a full service Marriott and Embassy Suites 45 minutes away in Charleston with another airport option in Charleston is just totally unacceptable.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: FlyHawk98

Offline goherd73

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2016, 12:20:35 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Huntington has added 3 new hotels in the last 10 years plus one in Bville. Our football team probably stays at B-Ville Holliday Inn because the night before a game every room in Huntington is booked.

Also every football team that flys here does so on a charter and Tri-State runway is longer than Yeager.  Longer than Greenville's also. I think the Airport/hotel reason is an urban legend around here.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2016, 12:32:00 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • someone tell me about Greenville NC's great airport and hotel situation as well as Hattiesburg and So Miss.............I honestly don't know but I'm just thinking realy, is a doubletree in Hton and a full service Marriott and Embassy Suites 45 minutes away in Charleston with another airport option in Charleston is just totally unacceptable.

It's not a matter of being totally unacceptable. It IS a matter of being totally attractively or at least as more attractive than any other competitor.

Here is what H-ton POTENTIALLY can sell: an almost full service hotel coming available within a year along with the Big Sandy. A good entertainment center (Pullman Square) for the visitors' fans who stay in town in well run (which the downtown HI did NOT supply the one time we tried them) or Pullman (a freaking pest-pit when we tried them) plus friendly tailgates for opponents (which from what I gather IS 1st rate, a credit for those who are in town). If H-ton can offer accommodations in close proximity to the Joan along with MORE than barely acceptable facilities to visiting FB teams plus taking advantage of Pullman square for visiting fans, we could be one of the best G5 experiences in the nation...in some ways a better experience in than some of the P-5 experiences.

Again, for us who have lived & experienced & conversed outside the tri-state, it is not matter of "what's so bad about a 45 minute drive to & from the Embassy in Charleston (whose downtown is a freaking HOLE compared to H-ton...visiting fans DO want to stay close to their team)"; it's completely a matter of presenting a completely positive scenario. Remember "not that bad" also means "not all that good".

Believe me: Huntington + MU has the potential to be one of the best, if not best, G-5 packages in the country.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Online 2xBison

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2016, 12:38:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Omg you have lived and experienced outside the tri state? 
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline elginherd

« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2016, 01:57:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • Omg you have lived and experienced outside the tri state?

Yep. And some of the tri-state local-yokels on this board have trashed some of the locales of which I am very familiar with & posted about and added many of my negative karma points. Huntington is blessed to be on a beautiful stretch of river along with the finally realized (after 3 or 4 decades) 'super-block' along with THE HERD & it's great & welcoming fans.

Columbia SC...SC is a poor state. But Cola has all the Gamecock sports, plus they have two state-of-the-art small baseball venues.

Kalamazoo, MI...more to do there than in H-ton.

Holland MI/Grand Haven. Now this (along with Marshall) is within the Tri-State's wheel house. Lake Michigan is great, but cold during much of the year. The Ohio (thanks to gov't regs) is a picturesque river around the area.

Let's say you are a visiting UConn fan: You stay at the properly run downtown HI (I know, not likely), get sucked into walking, drinking & dining around Pullman Square, walk out the handover the next morning along the river and then a shuttle transports you 19 blocks away to a friendly tailgate with HERD fans?!

I will tell you that playing at MU POTENTIALLY could offer as good or better of an experience to opposing teams & fans as much of the P-5, much less as the G-5.

The airport issue (despite what some on this board asserts) is real & unsolvable because of the provincial idiots in Kanawah CO.

The hotel accommodations for teams & fans? Completely within the scope of possibilities.   

In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2016, 08:07:12 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Airport is no issue for football.  All teams charter.  You get on the busses on the runway.  For football, our airport is actually awesome.  In other big cities you often have a 30 minute to an hour drive to your hotel due to traffic.

Where the airport kills us is basketball and Olympic sports.  Not even all teams in the AAC charter for basketball.  Charters for Olympic sports won't happen in the AAC either.  So, you have to send your team through Charlotte and get on a tiny regional plane to get to Huntington or send your team to some random connector city and get on a tiny regional jet to get to Charleston and then charter a bus. It's terrible.  In nearly every other AAC city, you hop on a direct flight on a large commercial airline to get to the away game destination.  We don't fit that model.  Neither does USM.  There are exceptions:  ECU.  I'm sure Big12 Olympics dread going to Morgantown. 

The Double Tree will help a lot.  Need one more full service.

Need a better basketball facility. 

Baseball stadium is a non issue.  Baseball not even required in AAC. 

Wish the state would just do a proper airport between Huntington and Charleston.  Would be awesome.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2016, 08:07:12 AM »

Offline chris88

« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2016, 08:08:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep. And some of the tri-state local-yokels on this board have trashed some of the locales of which I am very familiar with & posted about and added many of my negative karma points. Huntington is blessed to be on a beautiful stretch of river along with the finally realized (after 3 or 4 decades) 'super-block' along with THE HERD & it's great & welcoming fans.

Columbia SC...SC is a poor state. But Cola has all the Gamecock sports, plus they have two state-of-the-art small baseball venues.

Kalamazoo, MI...more to do there than in H-ton.

Holland MI/Grand Haven. Now this (along with Marshall) is within the Tri-State's wheel house. Lake Michigan is great, but cold during much of the year. The Ohio (thanks to gov't regs) is a picturesque river around the area.

Let's say you are a visiting UConn fan: You stay at the properly run downtown HI (I know, not likely), get sucked into walking, drinking & dining around Pullman Square, walk out the handover the next morning along the river and then a shuttle transports you 19 blocks away to a friendly tailgate with HERD fans?!

I will tell you that playing at MU POTENTIALLY could offer as good or better of an experience to opposing teams & fans as much of the P-5, much less as the G-5.

The airport issue (despite what some on this board asserts) is real & unsolvable because of the provincial idiots in Kanawah CO.

The hotel accommodations for teams & fans? Completely within the scope of possibilities.

If the powers that be supported the regional airport project a decade ago there would be plenty of hotels + airport.  I remember reading a story that quoted companies like FedEx and UPS that were very interested in developing a presence should that happen. It would have also helped companies like Amazon and Toyota as well. No leadership in WV.  Once coal is jettisoned for good and the tax revenue from it dissolves, it is likely the second largest industry in WV (tourism first?) will be heroin and i'm completely serious about that.  Then they can rename WV "the Victim State".  Outside of the far eastern counties outside of DC, there is little growth to be found. Yet people still revere Robert Byrd. At least Htons mayor seems to be with it more than most. Such a beautiful state with many great people...so sad.
    « Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:10:44 AM by chris88 »
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline MUalumni0912

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2016, 09:42:17 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just look at Steve Williams' job with the America's Best Communities project. The mere fact we're a finalist, shows the plans are worth it and work. If we win? Lord knows how much further we would be.
    That is something Hamrick can sell to the AAC...also, the evidence is in our standing currently. Also, the Marina is being built and is on schedule...so not just saying 'we have potential' but also proving it, helps.
    As for the hotel? Hopefully the Double Tree is going to really provide better accomodations for teams...and being downtown doesn't hurt at all.
    As much as I hate Rompza, he was spot on with his mockery of the Pullman. It deserved every bad bit of negative press as it could get.
    Doc has the team stay in Barboursville because he doesn't want them out drinking the night before a game (which, believe me, does happen) or other distractions.
    If anything, the plans for a hotel could be added as part of our development and Riverfront project...

I envision, that damn ACF property being torn the hell down...and having a nice classical looking 150 bedroom looking hotel overlooking the river...for alumni and guests...modelled after (and being called) 'The Marshall House' in Savannah, GA. Along with baseball yadda yadda yadda.

Finally, yes, I agree, Hamrick is not sitting on his hands, I think we all know that and we all know he has spoken to the AAC...not sure about Big 12 though. Anyways, he has the best interests for Marshall in mind, all the time. No doubt he has made moves. While I agree to an extent that he should be more informative of it, I think he is approaching this at the best angle he can.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2016, 10:12:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just look at Steve Williams' job with the America's Best Communities project. The mere fact we're a finalist, shows the plans are worth it and work. If we win? Lord knows how much further we would be.
    That is something Hamrick can sell to the AAC...also, the evidence is in our standing currently. Also, the Marina is being built and is on schedule...so not just saying 'we have potential' but also proving it, helps.
    As for the hotel? Hopefully the Double Tree is going to really provide better accomodations for teams...and being downtown doesn't hurt at all.
    As much as I hate Rompza, he was spot on with his mockery of the Pullman. It deserved every bad bit of negative press as it could get.
    Doc has the team stay in Barboursville because he doesn't want them out drinking the night before a game (which, believe me, does happen) or other distractions.
    If anything, the plans for a hotel could be added as part of our development and Riverfront project...

I envision, that damn ACF property being torn the hell down...and having a nice classical looking 150 bedroom looking hotel overlooking the river...for alumni and guests...modelled after (and being called) 'The Marshall House' in Savannah, GA. Along with baseball yadda yadda yadda.

Finally, yes, I agree, Hamrick is not sitting on his hands, I think we all know that and we all know he has spoken to the AAC...not sure about Big 12 though. Anyways, he has the best interests for Marshall in mind, all the time. No doubt he has made moves. While I agree to an extent that he should be more informative of it, I think he is approaching this at the best angle he can.

What do you mean not sure about the Big 12?

Look at the list of schools. It's obvious that EVERY school who reached out to the Big 12 is getting a video interview. We didn't even attempt to reach out.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2016, 10:17:28 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let me see......just a few years ago we were conference mates with ECU, Houston, Memphis, UCF, SMU, Tulsa and Tulane.  Out of these current AAC teams probably only Houston will get invited to the Big12.

These teams DID come to Huntington to play football games against Marshall.
    These teams were ABLE to fly in and house their team into a hotel complete with beds & indoor bathrooms.
    These teams were ABLE to feed their people food, and find some type of entertainment during the short time they were in Huntington.
    These teams DID NOT bring many fans to watch their football team.
    These teams were ABLE to leave Huntington, and go back to their respective cities in a reasonable time.

The point is.....all this talk about hotels & Tri-State airport keeping us out of AAC consideration is ridiculous.  Sounds like accommodations in Huntington have actually improved since these teams were in C-USA with us. 

Sometimes it sounds like membership in the AAC depends on having 5 star hotels and a regional airport in a large city market so that no one will can fly into the airport, or stay in the hotels, or even physically go watch the football game, or even watch it on TV.

Marshall offers an airport, hotels, a great college football atmosphere, and fans actually at the game and watching on TV!  We Are...MARSHALL!!!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:40:19 AM by QuickStrike »

The following users thanked this post: goherd73, FlyHawk98, beau42m

Offline luvherd

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2016, 12:23:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Some of our previous conference mates supposedly didn't like to commute to Huntington. I know when I worked for Columbia Gas coworkers and customers didn't like traveling to Charleston. Columbia moved it's headquarters in 97 from Charleston and continues to downgrade it's staff there.

At the end of the day I am confident Hamrick is making serious analysis and contacts. No doubt in my mind we did not invest in our facility upgrades to just stand still.
    « Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:52:42 AM by luvherd »
    MU Alum
    Big Green Member

Offline banker

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2016, 03:28:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes I do. I want it made public. If I am being asked to donate money and time to the program, then I want to KNOW that we are striving to play at the highest level possible.

Why should I be left to guess on this, then asked to up my donation another 10%?

It's a donation, you're not a lobbyist giving a contribution to buy access. Your donation is to provide funding for scholarships for our student athletes, kids that have absolutely nothing to do with administrative decisions.  Kids that work their rear ends off to be the best they can be and represent Marshall and the community.

Sounds like you may need a little self examination about why you give in the first place. 

The following users thanked this post: 2xBison

Offline MUalumni0912

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2016, 02:44:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's a donation, you're not a lobbyist giving a contribution to buy access. Your donation is to provide funding for scholarships for our student athletes, kids that have absolutely nothing to do with administrative decisions.  Kids that work their rear ends off to be the best they can be and represent Marshall and the community.

Sounds like you may need a little self examination about why you give in the first place.

BINGO!!!

Hamrick doesn't need to tell you anything. Its pretty clear he is doing things, and why should he tell you? Because you give money? Congrats, I am forced to give tax money to WV and they don't tell me where its going...most of it is going to be burned in front of the capitol building.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2016, 03:57:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the powers that be supported the regional airport project a decade ago there would be plenty of hotels + airport.  I remember reading a story that quoted companies like FedEx and UPS that were very interested in developing a presence should that happen. It would have also helped companies like Amazon and Toyota as well. No leadership in WV.  Once coal is jettisoned for good and the tax revenue from it dissolves, it is likely the second largest industry in WV (tourism first?) will be heroin and i'm completely serious about that.  Then they can rename WV "the Victim State".  Outside of the far eastern counties outside of DC, there is little growth to be found. Yet people still revere Robert Byrd. At least Htons mayor seems to be with it more than most. Such a beautiful state with many great people...so sad.

Spot on, chris88.  Just look at one of the asinine "brainstorms" our leadership (Governor) is pushing now:  $100 million plus to build a less than 3 mile, unpaved road to a strip mining "wasteland" in Boone/Lincoln counties (old Hobet mining site).  Yeah, Gov. "BillyBob" Tomblin says it would open up development on land "larger than Huntington".

Earth to Governor Doofuss:  There's already flat land prime for development, with existing interstate highway, existing utilities, internet availability, ready labor pool, existing higher education facilities available to provide expertise, etc, etc.  Its located between the Ohio River and I-64 and is known as "the CITY of HUNTINGTON"!!

Better use of the money proposed by Tomblin would be to accelerate the building of a modern highway from the Pritchard Intermodal Facility to I-64.  This would maximize the possibilities of a lot of business and industrial development in that area, with availability of Tri-State Airport and the Ohio River.  Would do more for overall economic development in southern/southwestern WV and greater Huntington area than any "pie-in-the-sky" proposal like the Hobet site.  Sometimes, I'm really, really sorry that such a hack political bozo like Earl Ray has a degree from MU!!

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2016, 04:36:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BINGO!!!

Hamrick doesn't need to tell you anything. Its pretty clear he is doing things, and why should he tell you? Because you give money? Congrats, I am forced to give tax money to WV and they don't tell me where its going...most of it is going to be burned in front of the capitol building.

I never said he HAD to tell me. I said I wasn't going to continue my donations unless I KNEW we made an attempt.

You don't even donate to the BG, so you don't have a dog in this fight.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2016, 04:38:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Spot on, chris88.  Just look at one of the asinine "brainstorms" our leadership (Governor) is pushing now:  $100 million plus to build a less than 3 mile, unpaved road to a strip mining "wasteland" in Boone/Lincoln counties (old Hobet mining site).  Yeah, Gov. "BillyBob" Tomblin says it would open up development on land "larger than Huntington".

Earth to Governor Doofuss:  There's already flat land prime for development, with existing interstate highway, existing utilities, internet availability, ready labor pool, existing higher education facilities available to provide expertise, etc, etc.  Its located between the Ohio River and I-64 and is known as "the CITY of HUNTINGTON"!!

Better use of the money proposed by Tomblin would be to accelerate the building of a modern highway from the Pritchard Intermodal Facility to I-64.  This would maximize the possibilities of a lot of business and industrial development in that area, with availability of Tri-State Airport and the Ohio River.  Would do more for overall economic development in southern/southwestern WV and greater Huntington area than any "pie-in-the-sky" proposal like the Hobet site.  Sometimes, I'm really, really sorry that such a hack political bozo like Earl Ray has a degree from MU!!

Absolutely. There is also a lot of flat land from Prichard area down to Huntington to develop.

As you said, already an existing interstate that has around 10 million cars per year that travel through there.

That money would go much further if invested in Huntington, unfortunately our state representatives are scared to death that Huntington will prosper.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2016, 04:38:35 PM »

Online 2xBison

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2016, 09:48:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I went to both MTSU games, flew in once, as I recall I flew into Nashville with the airport north of town and had a decent drive to Murfeesboro to stay in a low end Marriot property...Fairfield or similar.  now they may have a better hotel than that, i'm a marriot guy but the airport isn't close and I'm guessing if there is a full service in town it's associated with the school
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline MUalumni0912

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2016, 12:43:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I never said he HAD to tell me. I said I wasn't going to continue my donations unless I KNEW we made an attempt.

You don't even donate to the BG, so you don't have a dog in this fight.

Apparently, you don't either, so we're even...for now.

It's not likely he's going to say we "made an attempt" for the Big-12.

Interesting discussion about it on Sirius...most of the contingent believe it's a total waste of time beyond 4 teams, with 2 that really give any sort of value to the Big 12 (and minus BYU, nobody REALLY stands out).
    The original 2, were BYU and Cincy/Houston (a toss up between them both).
    The Big 12 have reportedly been saying "they want a quick process" but that's probably the dumbest thing they can do...plus, does anyone even know what direction the damn conference wants to go in?
    In hindsight, it's a total waste of time for (now) 17 schools to be applying. New Mexico? Are you kidding?! Same with, well, everyone.

It's a bigger waste of time for the Big 12 to even entertain anyone else from the original 3-4 schools...and it's really making them look bad. It's showing the country that the Big 12 really has no direction, has no timetable (their lack of initiative has caused more schools to apply who shouldn't be), and finally, their only options really aren't that special.

Another note, it's becoming more evident they REGRET didn't take Louisville...because of wvu, they've had to entertain eastern schools...who, when compared to the Midwest/West schools, aren't as good.
    Compare Houston and Cincy, for example. Houston is a hotbed of recruiting that Texas, apparently, wants to set up a satellite campus IN Houston! This is to make a UT presence and recruit right in Houston's front and back yards.
    Houston is totally cool with this...showing that they are desperate enough to surrender basically their souls.
    Cincy, while a good area for recruits, is far, their market is smaller, and they really don't have a football history.

Same with anyone you want to compare East/West.

Finally, the TV networks are going to have a say in this whole thing...because it's they who are going to have to fork out additional tens of millions of dollars for additional schools...and they want to make sure they have a marketable group.
    Plus, the newest additional school, isn't going to be paid the same amounts as the current 10 member schools.
    So they're going to have to really up their game in a hurry and hope they can compete fast.

The consensus on who should join? BYU and Houston.

Quite honestly, it's looking more and more like the Big 12 will dissolve before long. This is especially true if they screw up the additional schools who don't generate the money or market appeal as they're advertised.
    So you run the risk of going out and applying and being rejected by a conference that may not even exist in 5 years?
    Yeah, totally worth walking out on your alma mater on.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2016, 07:57:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We should tear down some houses that were intended for the much needed and awaited baseball stadium, and build an airport and hotel instead.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2016, 07:57:28 AM »