Author Topic: FSU's Rick Trickett to be interviewed for Marshall coach  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Slice11

FSU's Rick Trickett to be interviewed for Marshall coach
« on: December 08, 2009, 09:36:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • HUNTINGTON -- Rick Trickett, the assistant head coach and offensive line coach at Florida State, has emerged as serious candidate to succeed Mark Snyder as Marshall's football coach, the Daily Mail has learned.

Multiple sources said Trickett, 61, will interview with Athletic Director Mike Hamrick on Friday at an undisclosed, neutral location.

Trickett has 36 years of college football coaching experience on his resume, which includes the last three seasons with the Seminoles under out-going Coach Bobby Bowden.

A native of Masontown, W.Va., Trickett has strong ties in the Mountain State; he was an all-conference strong safety at Glenville and spent two separate stints as an assistant coach at West Virginia University.

http://www.dailymail.com/News/breakingnews/200912080554

HerdFans.com

FSU's Rick Trickett to be interviewed for Marshall coach
    « on: December 08, 2009, 09:36:45 PM »

Offline Huffnagel

Re: FSU's Rick Trickett to be interviewed for Marshall coach
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:37:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We can do better IMO.
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

Offline Slice11

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:38:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'd rather have Snyder back.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 09:39:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Waste of time.  Hire Bobby Pruett and get the pony show over with.

Offline Slice11

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:42:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not going to dawg him b/c of his age, but if we were going to hire someone that old, why not just hire Pruett and end this.  There must be a reason he only was a HC at one place and that was Glenville.
    « Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:44:32 PM by Slice11 »

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 09:43:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm not going to dawg him b/c of his age, but if we were going to hire someone that old, why not just hire Pruett and end this.  There must be a reason he only was a HC at one place and that was Glenville 20 some freakin years ago.

Amen brother...I posted this very thing under another thread about him earlier tonight.  There's a reason he's only coached offensive line pretty much his whole career.
    GO HERD!!!

Offline McGuyver

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:52:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is becoming more and more hilarious.
    I'm hoping this is just formalites and we already have a coach in mind.
    "It's tough for people to understand...but we play with twelve men."
    "And our twelfth man is those 75 people....something has given us the edge.
    You can't buy it or create it any other way."

-Nate Ruffin

Offline marshall fanatic

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 02/2004
    « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 09:56:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why would interview him is beyond me. I am getting the feeling that Kopp is not wanting us to win and is holding Hamrick back. Seems that if we hire BP back, then the money will come back. When you have Chad and other players wanting him here then hire him. That means they may come back to Marshall and donate.

Offline Pud

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 10:03:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is unbelievable... I thought first criteria was HC experience? If not at least a high profile coordinator. This guy brings nothing to the table - no money behind him, no HC experience, a questionable personality, never even a coordinator if I am not mistaken and he is 61.
    My question is why? Why him and not Pruett? Bob brings money to the table, a proven record and the ability to lead with vision. Trickett? FSU hasn't really been that great on offense for the last few years.

If you cannot get Jones, and Kopp blocks Pruett then Brad Lambert is the guy. He could assemble a great staff. He also would appeal to lots of people who are on the Pruett bandwagon.

Hell no to Trickett, I wouldn't waste the airfare to interview him!

"Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right"

Offline herdwriter

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 10:06:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Trickett was my favorite coach/source when I covered the Mountaineers for the Daily Mail. I would not mind this hire from a purely personal standpoint. I really like Trickett and have a great rapport with him. For all of you who have said you want nasty offensive linemen who dominate defenders, Trickett will deliver that; also, I imagine that mean streak would spread to the rest of the team. With all of his connections, I guarantee Trickett could hire two great coordinators. The more I think about it, the more I would love this hire, to be honest.

Offline chromer

• Rookie
    « Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 10:11:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does this mean that  WVALUM is finally telling us what to do,how to do and when we do-------why this guy???????????
    Thunder On

Offline ZackUSAF82

• Franchise Owner
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 10:16:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Trickett was my favorite coach/source when I covered the Mountaineers for the Daily Mail. I would not mind this hire from a purely personal standpoint. I really like Trickett and have a great rapport with him. For all of you who have said you want nasty offensive linemen who dominate defenders, Trickett will deliver that; also, I imagine that mean streak would spread to the rest of the team. With all of his connections, I guarantee Trickett could hire two great coordinators. The more I think about it, the more I would love this hire, to be honest.

While I do appreciate your work bud...I totally disagree with you on this one.  If Trickett is hired he should be an offensive line coach, period.  That's what he's done his entire career and the only thing he knows how to do.  I know you have a different opinion due to working with the man...but I'll pass.
    GO HERD!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 10:16:59 PM »

Offline herdwriter

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 10:19:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That's why they made chocolate and vanilla.  ;D

Different strokes for different folks.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 10:19:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • me too, Zack.

Offline catfanatic1979

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 10:33:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If this guy wanted to just be our oline coach, I would be all for it. Rich Rod had some great oline play during the years that Trickett was with him.

Offline MichiganMUFan

• Rookie
    « Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 10:46:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If he was so great why isn't he the next coach at FSU instead of Fisher. Afterall he is listed as the assistant coach. This would be such a huge letdown.

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 11:00:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I appreciate the input and comments by someone who actually knows the man/candidate.  Thanks for the info. 

Offline sdfgoherd

• All American
    « Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 11:41:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why would interview him is beyond me. I am getting the feeling that Kopp is not wanting us to win and is holding Hamrick back. Seems that if we hire BP back, then the money will come back. When you have Chad and other players wanting him here then hire him. That means they may come back to Marshall and donate.

Hamrick is doing his job and Kopp is allowing him to do so. However, Kopp will have a role to play afterall he is the CEO of Marshall University.  I think he has the right. 

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 11:41:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow he's really qualified, He was Glenville State's head coach and he's had 5 jobs that he's held two years or less.  Wow lets give him a million dollars!!

Offline muherd

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 06:07:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I can't believe this SH*%.......the guys 61 come on how many years he going to coach.  If freakN tricket gets hired I will start watching water polo.

Offline Thundering Lydia

• All American
    • GKI Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 06:15:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks for the input, Herdwriter.  Trickett still wouldn't be my first choice, but it's nice to know something about him from someone who's actually met him.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 07:52:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    However, Kopp will have a role to play afterall he is the CEO of Marshall University.  I think he has the right. 

That would be like saying Kopp has the right to call the play on 3rd and 2, or he has the right to change grades if he likes the student.  Total (bleep)!!  Kopp's career isn't on the line, Hamrick's is.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 07:52:26 AM »

Online mu79grad

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 07:53:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is from a a sportswriter's blog (Corey Clark) written for the on-line version of the Tallahassee (Florida) Democrat newspaper:

He (Trickett) is, how should I put it – a very EMOTIONAL coach. So I’m not sure how that would play out with boosters. Head coaches have to schmooze big-money guys occasionally and I don’t know how much of that Trickett has in him. The Marine has absolutely no problem speaking his mind about anything.  He takes absolutely no B.S. from anyone. And sometimes as a head coach, you have to put up with some B.S. occasionally. It comes with the territory.

Then again, Marshall might not care. The guy can coach. He’s tough-minded and he produces good offensive lines. So who knows?

I would also wonder how much his son would play a role in this decision. Clint Trickett is a talented senior quarterback who has already committed to Florida State. So would his dad leave for another job, in another state, before he gets a chance to coach with his son?

Anyway, just throwing out that news that apparently Trickett is a candidate. And just because I think it’s a long shot doesn’t mean that’s the case. He might leave.

Offline field pass

• Heisman
    • Member Since 08/2012
    « Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 07:57:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • HUNTINGTON -- Rick Trickett, the assistant head coach and offensive line coach at Florida State, has emerged as serious candidate to succeed Mark Snyder as Marshall's football coach, the Daily Mail has learned.

Multiple sources said Trickett, 61, will interview with Athletic Director Mike Hamrick on Friday at an undisclosed, neutral location.

Trickett has 36 years of college football coaching experience on his resume, which includes the last three seasons with the Seminoles under out-going Coach Bobby Bowden.

A native of Masontown, W.Va., Trickett has strong ties in the Mountain State; he was an all-conference strong safety at Glenville and spent two separate stints as an assistant coach at West Virginia University.

http://www.dailymail.com/News/breakingnews/200912080554

If tricket is the front runner...then lets just give it to minter. He is more qualified.

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 08:03:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • OLD???!!! WHAT THE HELL YOU MEAN OLD!!
    Just because there is a little snow on the roof don't mean there is no fire in the furnace. OLD MY ASS!!!
    He is  younger than Pruett.  ;D

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 08:03:31 AM »