Author Topic: Marshall lands 4 star BBall commit  (Read 2818 times)

Offline yogiherd

Re: Marshall lands 4 star BBall commit
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 03:15:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I did not want DJ to take the job because I thought the program was in too bad of a shape for someone with no HC experience to turn it around.  I am glad I was wrong for a number of reasons. 

TomorrowHerd I had my doubts too, but DJ has done a wonderful job and that's great crow for doubters   And if Jirsa could get a rollover after a 6-22 season--what's the hold up on locking in DJ for some extra years?
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 03:15:03 AM »

Offline field pass

• Heisman
    • Member Since 08/2012
    « Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 06:30:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That Logic course that the philosophy department offers sure would be a nice addition to next Spring's schedule, fp.

My gosh.

Here's how it is. One can disagree with Obama on his ideas, in fact vehemently so. But I can't imagine that the man has bad INTENTIONS for his own country, though. How does that help him? Same... If you believe that Marcum wants to sabotage his OWN program, that's essentially what you're saying.

And that's just nuts.

Spare us.

"us"?  Who exactly is us?   Go back and check the threads from last season before speaking out with your usuall superior opinion of other peoples opinions....it was clear that the majority of posters believed that Marcum is not one of Donnies strongest supporters and I dont see any evidence that things have changed suddenly for Marcums popularity regarding this since last season.  I mean this was on ESPN for CRYING OUT LOUD!  Marcum is pathetic.  Marcum is for Marcum, he doesnt like experienced coaches or anyone that will bring success, reputation, ego.

Marcum wore Pruett down until he quit and he chased off coaches interested in the football job...give him time with Donnie...it took him time to get rid of Pruett.  If Marcum is here 4 more years I say that Donnie wont be.

The good news is that Marcum is suppose to retire soon...well we will see.  If we can get a decent guy in there we could make a real run in bball with Donnie...

Its tempting to drop names and sources on this...but there is no way Id hang them out there for a mish mash of sports web posters.

Offline field pass

• Heisman
    • Member Since 08/2012
    « Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 06:35:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will gladly admit that I wasnt all that thrilled with the DJ hire at first and Ill gladly admit that I was WRONG and I will GLADLY EAT MY CROW.  Although I hopped on the bandwagon quick last year after I saw the 180 in the basketball program.

To Sturts dismay....I will gladly admit that I was a supporter of Donnies.  Check the threads.  To be an assistant for 10 years in a bball program is all you need to understand a system and how to run a program in bball.  No true in football, there are just to many jobs...roles...responsibilities broken up among to many people to get a firm understanding of how to run a program in football with being a upper level executive...meaning OC, DC, or head coach.   Im not saying it cant happen in football...but its totally different and a lot more difficult.

In short, Donnie has the experience needed to run a program and Snyder doesnt.  Experience alone dosent garantee Donnies success but its solid hiring criteria.   Experience alone doesnt ensure success....perfect example...look at Marcum.  He has plenty of experience!  Yikes..now thats scarey.   :D :D :D

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:38:18 AM by field pass »

Offline GreenSteve

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 07:14:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just curious... anyone in this thread who would like to publicly acknowledge that they called the selection of Donnie Jones as head coach a sell-out by Marcum and company?

Anyone?

Anyone who would like to step up and admit that they were outright angry that we didn't get a NAME head coach with UVa or George Washington on their resume'?

I'm just saying... okay?

I really don't know for a fact, but I'm tempted to do a search and find out... *chuckle*

I wanted Greg Marshall...
    "The world is full of crackers and belly-button rings..." - Blue Tip - The Cars.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 08:53:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tillis is 6'11" and Rivals has Whiteside listed at 6'11" at the start of this season for Patterson.  Early signing period for Bball begins middle of November if I'm not mistaken. 

Offline Taft#1

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2008, 08:57:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Jones is a sprinter not a slow dime maker.

good point?  Why isnt Donnie building for the long hall...like Snyder....hes got atleast 4-5 yearsbefore he has start producing...right?  Besides ifhe wins this year....Marcum is going to be promoting him to other programs to get him outta here.

He's talking about what Macum said about Jirsa , he wanted a slow dime rather than a fast nickle .

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2008, 09:39:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Early signing period for basketball is Nov 12 - 19.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/nli
    « Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 09:42:48 AM by Buffalo Bop »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2008, 09:45:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • wow...I guess it helps to say you play memphis twice a year.

Actually, we only play Memphis once a year, unless of course we hook up in the conference tournament.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DJ wasn't my first pick. I am glad I was damn wrong.  Go DJ.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline marshall fanatic

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 02/2004
    « Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 12:14:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was at the game last night and sitting beside President Kopp was Alan Thacker. Wonder what those two where talking about.
    Fact is this Donnie starts producing then he will get is extension. I am sure we will here something soon in this regards.

Offline Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 01:06:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I will admit that I wanted Gregg Marshall.

Ecstatic that Donnie Jones was hired, and optimistic that we are going to see great things at Marshall in B-Ball.

Offline herd_10

• Rookie
    « Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 01:16:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is a big commitment for the hoops program. it just shows the strides D.J. & the staff have made in turning it around. I hope Donnie stays for a long, long time. Marcum is welcome to leave tomorrow if he so chooses. 

Congrats again to D.J & Staff.   GO HERD!!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 01:16:26 PM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Remember guys, we have another 6-10 guy on campus getting his grades. He was the power foreward at Ft Lauderdale Dillard on the team that won the class 5A state championship along wirh Kore White.

Nigel Spikes averaged 10 points, 9 rebounds and 3 blocked shots per game.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Dreamherd

• Heisman
    « Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 03:19:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just curious... anyone in this thread who would like to publicly acknowledge that they called the selection of Donnie Jones as head coach a sell-out by Marcum and company?

Anyone?

Anyone who would like to step up and admit that they were outright angry that we didn't get a NAME head coach with UVa or George Washington on their resume'?

I'm just saying... okay?

I really don't know for a fact, but I'm tempted to do a search and find out... *chuckle*

I brought up his name and some didn't like it.  It was just a lucky statement anyways.

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2008, 01:21:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DJ wasn't my first pick. I am glad I was damn wrong.  Go DJ.

TRS
    MU 71

yeah Stuff and i think several of us had replies about the hire last spring after DJ posted a winning season stating the same as you did above; but it might not have been on this board.     
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

Offline richmondherdfan

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2008, 02:06:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • two words: KO Marcum.

But seriously, the administration probably knows they made a bad decision extending Snyder so early in his tenure, they are probably being a little cautious with DJ's.

However, even a blind man can see that the bball squad has done a 180 and we're going to make some noise. What scares me is the DJ sees other peers in this conference and others making twice was he is and that could get him a little ticked off down the line, I know it would me. Take for instance his buddy Anthony Grant at VCU, who is making 750k.

We need to do it before the end of the season and give him a fat raise while we're extending his contract. If we show him that we're committed to bball, he might stick around for a hot second.

Offline spaldy

• All American
    • Member Since 10/2009
    « Reply #41 on: November 03, 2008, 02:28:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• I'd suggest that marcum wait until mid season.  By then it should be apparent that the program is really on the upswing. Then he could garner interest in one of the big conferences and would not feel guilty about walking away. 

Nothing like showing a committement midway through the season to lock them up.  In fact, why not wait until the end of the season?   

Make sure you lock up snyder.  He'll be a prize catch for big time program. 
    “This year will go down in history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient and the world will follow our lead into the future.” —Adolf Hitler, 1935

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States."

4tHeHeRd

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2008, 03:24:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • good job donnie.. keep it rollin!!

Offline MarshallMatrix

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2008, 04:28:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If winning breeds confidence, maybe that is Coach's plan to start winning now and attract the young talent to build tomorrow.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 07:36:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Evaluation
    October, 2008: Hassan Whiteside is a very long, lean, highly athletic high post player with exceptional speed running the court. He needs to work hard to develop his strength and add weight to perform at the Division I level. Now he gets pushed around inside, and is much more functional as a the high post player. He has a good medium range shot, and can make jump hooks. However, with his height, arm length and reach and high vertical jump, Whiteside is a prolific slam-dunker, which is his most effective scoring weapon. He has a knack for positioning himself for offensive rebounds, and he scores often on putbacks. He is an effective shotblocker, but needs to become much more physical. He is not really a court warrior, and tends to avoid contact from stronger players. Whiteside, a native of Gastonia, N.C., moved to Patterson School for his senior year. He attended Evelyn Mack Academy (Charlotte, N.C.) as a junior. According to Patterson School coach Chris Chaney, "Whiteside has a lot of academic work to accomplish, and could require an additional year of prep school." Whiteside was being actively recruited by Charlotte, but likely would not have qualified academically for admission to that school this year. He visited Marshall the weekend of November 1, and committed during his visit. Marshall can accept him as an academic sitout. Meaning he would be admitted to attend school next year, but could not play basketball. Whiteside is expected to sign a national letter with the Thundering Herd on November 12.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?page=briefingroom&recruitId=72045

Offline Dreamherd

• Heisman
    « Reply #45 on: November 04, 2008, 02:15:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Non qualifier system really works.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2008, 02:15:57 AM »