Author Topic: Marshall - Army series cancelled  (Read 758 times)

Online MarshallHerdFan99

Marshall - Army series cancelled
« on: May 22, 2024, 12:42:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://fbschedules.com/marshall-army-mutually-cancel-future-football-series/#google_vignette

Was really really looking forward to both Army and Navy coming into the Joan. Now neither will be coming.

HerdFans.com

Marshall - Army series cancelled
    « on: May 22, 2024, 12:42:45 PM »

Offline andy31

Re: Marshall - Army series cancelled
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 01:07:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I figured this would happen with Army joining the AAC, but it still stinks.  I loved the trip to the Navy game and had been looking forward to this series.

Offline MarshallSteve

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2024, 01:10:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe the Ohio Bobkitties have an opening available

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2024, 01:29:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting that they use the phrase "mutually cancelled" because Army was the one who had to cancel it.  I guess the optics of making a service academy pay some sort of buyout penalty wasn't worth it?

As for us, 3 games to fill in realistically less than a year is highly unusual. Having another season with 2 FCS games would be absolutely unacceptable. Hopefully Spears knew this series wouldn't be played as soon as Army announced they were joining the AAC back in October.
    « Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 01:31:18 PM by gochneaur645 »

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2024, 01:41:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • G5 options for 2025 are scarce:

AAC: FAU, Temple, Tulsa, UTSA
    CUSA: FIU, Liberty, NMSU, UTEP, WKU
    MAC: BGSU, Kent State
    MWC: Boise, Nevada
    Indy: UMass, UConn

I'm guessing we do something like WKU + FCS at home plus another money game at a P5.

Online MarshallHerdFan99

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 01:45:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • G5 options for 2025 are scarce:

AAC: FAU, Temple, Tulsa, UTSA
    CUSA: FIU, Liberty, NMSU, UTEP, WKU
    MAC: BGSU, Kent State
    MWC: Boise, Nevada
    Indy: UMass, UConn

I'm guessing we do something like WKU + FCS at home plus another money game at a P5.

Dont forget to add Missouri State as they will be FBS next year

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2024, 01:46:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't like losing this game but it was expected. I went to see the 1997 team play at West Point and Randy's famous TD reception. West Point has to be one of the best campuses in the nation. The week before the game, I was in morganhole to watch the game with wvu.

Army also cancelled their home and home with GA Southern; Ball State and Liberty.

https://fbschedules.com/army-cancels-future-football-games-with-georgia-southern-liberty/

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2024, 01:50:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting that they use the phrase "mutually cancelled" because Army was the one who had to cancel it.  I guess the optics of making a service academy pay some sort of buyout penalty wasn't worth it?

As for us, 3 games to fill in realistically less than a year is highly unusual. Having another season with 2 FCS games would be absolutely unacceptable. Hopefully Spears knew this series wouldn't be played as soon as Army announced they were joining the AAC back in October.

Well, take a look at this quote from the link below. "On Thursday, the Ball State Cardinals officially announced that their home contest against Army in 2024 had been canceled. That matchup was scheduled for Aug. 31, 2024 in Muncie, Ind."

"https://fbschedules.com/army-cancels-future-football-games-with-georgia-southern-liberty/

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2024, 02:02:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Man, all the good series keep getting canceled.

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2024, 02:57:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • May have something to do with this so-called academic conference they are talking about forming?

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2024, 03:06:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • May have something to do with this so-called academic conference they are talking about forming?

No. Army joins the American next year in football and needed to drop a bunch of future games.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Flat Tire 2

Offline herd2win

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2024, 03:08:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate we lost the service academies.  I wish there was actual transparency with the financial details of these series cancellations.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2024, 03:08:34 PM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2024, 03:08:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The AAC games plus their annual games with Navy and Air Force knocked us out. I see us playing an FCS game every year and likely a money game. Getting teams to come to the Joan will be more difficult with each passing year. P5's want to play good schedules to get into the playoff mix.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2024, 03:22:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate we lost the service academies.  I wish there was actual transparency with the financial details of these series cancellations.

I would think the series was a "wash" with each school paying/receiving the same guarantee. The polite thing for Marshall to do is just let Army drop the series since they joined the AAC which requires 8 conference games and the Navy game is considered an OCC game. Army will always play Air Force so they only have two OCC openings each year. I am sure Marshall would want to be treated the same way if MU had to do the same scheduling. You don't want to burn bridges with the Service Academies since you might be able to schedule future games with them.

https://fbschedules.com/army-cancels-future-football-games-with-georgia-southern-liberty/

Online MarshallHerdFan99

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2024, 03:52:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So I told someone that we should schedule @BYU, vs WKU, @MTSU, and vs Missouri State(FCS game but against an FBS opponent). I have been told that the 2025 non conference schedule is complete and will be announced soon. They said we would be pleased with the schedule
    « Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 03:57:28 PM by MarshallHerdFan99 »

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Flat Tire 2

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2024, 04:06:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So I told someone that we should schedule @BYU, vs WKU, @MTSU, and vs Missouri State(FCS game but against an FBS opponent). I have been told that the 2025 non conference schedule is complete and will be announced soon. They said we would be pleased with the schedule

Color me intrigued.

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2024, 04:10:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Army might be dropping games at Syracuse and Kansas State in 2025? Could those games be a possibility?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2024, 04:10:42 PM »