Author Topic: Mikal Dawson to Marshall  (Read 4320 times)

Offline whf

Re: Mikal Dawson to Marshall
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2024, 03:21:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Curious if you?re just assuming we dont have the money?  Or if you have a source?
    I know its only 1.5 hours, but no response to your question.

The following users thanked this post: muherd34

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2024, 03:21:11 PM »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2024, 04:04:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No offense, but I am kind of skeptical about the NIL numbers being posted in this thread. Who is supplying the information? If it is from the Dan crowd, I would take it with a grain of salt. Look at football, we picked up players from the SEC and ACC; does Huff have that much money raised to attract the players? One would think if people are giving to football NIL they would be giving to basketball NIL? It doesn't take long to raise money for basketball if it can be done for football. Doesn't everyone love Dan and want to help him? I realize it is a numbers game with basketball vs football. I know Huff has said that the recruits are not asking for large sums of money that he is recruiting.

I never heard about Marshall football losing a football player to a "MAC school offering $80K or a Longwood offering $40K. I have a family member who is on the staff at Ohio U and she doubts that they would offer that kind of money, but she isn't sure since she is on the academic side. Longwood for example is a small VA teachers college (4-5000 students) school located in the middle of nowhere (Farmville). There isn't a lot of money in Southside Virginia where Farmville is located, I know because I use to cover that area.

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2024, 04:26:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Where did you come up with all these superlatives, don't look at the stats. Really?

Hmm IDK. Do you watch basketball? You ever see guys that just make the right play but don't score 20 points a game? Purdue just had a kid who averaged 6 points and 4 rebounds Transfer to Duke...You know why? because he plays basketball the right way and makes everyone around him better.

Basketball is more than scoring points. How many times under Dan did Marshall score 70+ and lose? A LOT!! Marshall needs kids of all style's right now. A 7 man non versatile undersized rotation of players does not work. You have to be able to win games playing all styles. College basketball is all about versatility and versatility is Mike Dawson.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman, gochneaur645, overherd1

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2024, 04:28:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Longwood has put together something solid on paper at least.

KJ McClurg (D2), Kyrell Luc (St Bona), Colby Garland (Drake) and they just added DJ Jefferson (Tennessee.)

Longwood would beat Herd bball.  But they shouldn?t be able to beat Herd and recruit better. 

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2024, 04:30:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hmm IDK. Do you watch basketball? You ever see guys that just make the right play but don't score 20 points a game? Purdue just had a kid who averaged 6 points and 4 rebounds Transfer to Duke...You know why? because he plays basketball the right way and makes everyone around him better.

Basketball is more than scoring points. How many times under Dan did Marshall score 70+ and lose? A LOT!! Marshall needs kids of all style's right now. A 7 man non versatile undersized rotation of players does not work. You have to be able to win games playing all styles. College basketball is all about versatility and versatility is Mike Dawson.

What makes Mike good?  If looking at stats nothing pops.  Does he hold his man scoreless or shoot poorly?

Online chris88

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2024, 08:59:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No offense, but I am kind of skeptical about the NIL numbers being posted in this thread. Who is supplying the information? If it is from the Dan crowd, I would take it with a grain of salt. Look at football, we picked up players from the SEC and ACC; does Huff have that much money raised to attract the players? One would think if people are giving to football NIL they would be giving to basketball NIL? It doesn't take long to raise money for basketball if it can be done for football. Doesn't everyone love Dan and want to help him? I realize it is a numbers game with basketball vs football. I know Huff has said that the recruits are not asking for large sums of money that he is recruiting.

I never heard about Marshall football losing a football player to a "MAC school offering $80K or a Longwood offering $40K. I have a family member who is on the staff at Ohio U and she doubts that they would offer that kind of money, but she isn't sure since she is on the academic side. Longwood for example is a small VA teachers college (4-5000 students) school located in the middle of nowhere (Farmville). There isn't a lot of money in Southside Virginia where Farmville is located, I know because I use to cover that area.

Longwood hasn't been a strictly teachers college in decades. It is a Liberal Arts school but is co-ed and offers many of same degrees as other liberal arts schools and has a solid academic reputation. I worked there for three years in 90's but have kept up with their programs and know the SID from my time there. They also changed to Longwood University. They have only been D1 for a few years in athletics and don't have great D1 facilities. It is isolated but only about an hour from Richmond and Lynchburg but town of Farmville is small. Their sports tradition was huge success for D2 or D3 womens golf. They also had a couple big names in pros in Jerome Kersey of NBA and Michael Tucker in MLB. They play in a weak league which has helped them immensely but I doubt they have any kind of NIL that would compete for the better players out there. They also don't have football so they could put more eggs in basketball but I don't see them having the ability to raise a lot of money... but who knows.
    « Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 09:05:59 PM by chris88 »
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2024, 10:08:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know its only 1.5 hours, but no response to your question.

Sorry, son's baseball game, and well....life isn't the message board.   I have sources.   I know what our best two kids are asking for and getting.   We don't have 40K for a guy like that.    Longwood's head coach has parents with loads of money.   They bought him the job, and they're buying him a roster.   Check their roster from the last year.  8 transfers.

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2024, 10:14:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's not about "how well you can recruit."   Those days are over.   It's what you can pay.   We lost the kid from Stetson to Middle Tennessee for $50K.    These numbers are very, very real.   App St lost more than half it's roster from a 26 win team.  Why?   Because some of the kids can go elsewhere and get big numbers, and some of the kids left because money promised to them at Appalachian didn't show up.    The days of building relationships, and nailing a guy down....far and few between.   It's pay to play.   I coach high school basketball.   I have two class of 2024 D1 players.   One is still available.   I've talked to no fewer than 10 head coaches in the last week.   They all say the same thing.    Its all about $$$$.   I know what my kid is asking for as a freshman, and he's gonna get it....not because he's asking for anything crazy, but because that's the going rate...

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2024, 10:19:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://x.com/ZyavierR/status/1783272398105591943

Think we will see more stories like this in the Wild West of NIL

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2024, 10:37:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hmm IDK. Do you watch basketball? You ever see guys that just make the right play but don't score 20 points a game? Purdue just had a kid who averaged 6 points and 4 rebounds Transfer to Duke...You know why? because he plays basketball the right way and makes everyone around him better.

You are talking completely out of your head. Yes a guy can play great defense and make others better around him. But that player still doesn't shoot 28% from three and 38% from the FT line. Show me a player that has those kind of numbers and is great for their team? You are talking about players that just doesn't look to score and still shoots 40-50% from the floor and maybe 75% from the line but offense just isn't what they look for. Would you want. 38% FT shooter on the line for us in critical games or someone that shoots above 70%? I mean come on and talk with some commonsense. Now I hope he finds his shot and becomes a great player for us. But numbers don't lie and last year his numbers were awful. Let's hope that changes since he is wearing green or I mean black.

The following users thanked this post: herdfifteen

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2024, 11:56:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • His 38% from the foul line last season was an extremely low sample size at only 5/13. He's 63% for his career which is obviously not great, but not horrific either.

He's also a typical 3 and D guy who has shot over 4x as many 3's (375) as 2's (82). Last year's 28% from deep was a drop from 36% in his previous season. Maybe he was rusty after missing a year to injury. 32% for his career.

So yeah, while his offensive game isn't as bad as last year's stats would indicate, he's also not a guy you want to be one of your leading scorers. But according to everyone, defense is what he really brings to the table. Led Akron in steals last year despite having only the 5th most minutes. Also a veteran from a tough team that knows how to win championships. Sounds like the type of player that was really missing from Dan's teams. Should be a nice pickup and a solid piece of the puzzle.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Rockin Herd Fan, elginherd, herdfan129, Haveyouherd222, herdorbust2

Offline saherdfan

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2024, 12:27:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wish the best for him.  I hope he comes home and kills it. 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, overherd1, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2024, 12:27:33 AM »

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2024, 07:21:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don?t care what his percentage from 3 is. If he can play defense and willing to drive to the basket then I will be happy.

Looks like a good pickup to me.

lol
    Stop it

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2024, 07:50:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Akron has been hitting the portal gaining a center from UNC; point guards from wvu and Cornell. They also brought in a forward from wvu. Maybe the Akron coach was improving the talent level on his team and Dawson realized he wasn't going to be playing much this season?  Good coaches are always trying to improve the talent level on their teams. Per Verbal Comments about 6 players have left the Akron team over the last two years.  That could be the reason he is at Marshall or it could be other factors like he wanted to come home? Dawson sounds like a role player and every team needs a few role players. I hope it works out for both. 

https://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/akron

Edit: Older fans will remember Gary Orsini who played in the  Russel Lee era. Gary didn't score a lot of points, but he did bang on the boards and play solid defense. Maybe Dawson will turn into another Gary Orsini?
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 09:35:44 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: svherd, chris88, herdorbust2

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2024, 08:15:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • With Herd team we have he will be expected to have bonafide career year. 

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2024, 08:17:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What makes Mike good?  If looking at stats nothing pops.  Does he hold his man scoreless or shoot poorly?

He's not from D2 or the MEAC so apparently we shouldn't have taken him

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2024, 08:25:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • His 38% from the foul line last season was an extremely low sample size at only 5/13. He's 63% for his career which is obviously not great, but not horrific either.

He's also a typical 3 and D guy who has shot over 4x as many 3's (375) as 2's (82). Last year's 28% from deep was a drop from 36% in his previous season. Maybe he was rusty after missing a year to injury. 32% for his career.

So yeah, while his offensive game isn't as bad as last year's stats would indicate, he's also not a guy you want to be one of your leading scorers. But according to everyone, defense is what he really brings to the table. Led Akron in steals last year despite having only the 5th most minutes. Also a veteran from a tough team that knows how to win championships. Sounds like the type of player that was really missing from Dan's teams. Should be a nice pickup and a solid piece of the puzzle.

I hope that is the case. He does bring 3 things that has been missing for years. Defense, strength and toughness. Hopefully those are things Corny is looking for. Corny has a great opportunity this year imo. Very few midmajors has to inside guys as good as Obinna and Martin. And they are both already have 4 years of game experience going on 5. That is huge. If he can land 3 nice guards we can be very good. And let's hope Dawson did just have an off year shooting. I do love how he works around the basket. Here is a video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=04dJIhaYrvw

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, overherd1

Offline elginherd

« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2024, 08:47:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Perimeter defense has been a weakness. Hopefully, he can help make that a strength.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline svherd

« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2024, 08:54:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need scorers! Teams will pack it in against Obinna and Martin, thus we need someone to extend the D. Team with the most points wins.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman, MicDrass1

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2024, 09:25:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He's not from D2 or the MEAC so apparently we shouldn't have taken him

He would have same stat line in MEAC.  My ? Has been everyone says he?s really good on defense.  Why is this the case?  Why is he special on D?  And i was hoping the good players in MEAC in portal would come here but they are not.  Would have helped tremendously with our D and scoring output. 

The following users thanked this post: Skidude

Offline herdorbust2

« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2024, 09:30:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He would have same stat line in MEAC.  My ? Has been everyone says he?s really good on defense.  Why is this the case?  Why is he special on D?  And i was hoping the good players in MEAC in portal would come here but they are not.  Would have helped tremendously with our D and scoring output.

Still a lot of time and players out there. I'm still betting we get some nice athletic guards. I would take 2 voyles and a true PG with what we already have.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, MicDrass1

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2024, 10:18:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we only had one scholarship to give and Dawson was that guy, I would be disappointed, but we have multiple scholarships to give.  He's a veteran player who if he can play good perimeter defense, then I think he'll play a valuable role. 
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 03:35:55 PM by Rockin Herd Fan »

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, herdorbust2, FilmJunky

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2024, 10:18:02 AM »

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2024, 02:14:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• You are talking completely out of your head. Yes a guy can play great defense and make others better around him. But that player still doesn't shoot 28% from three and 38% from the FT line. Show me a player that has those kind of numbers and is great for their team? You are talking about players that just doesn't look to score and still shoots 40-50% from the floor and maybe 75% from the line but offense just isn't what they look for. Would you want. 38% FT shooter on the line for us in critical games or someone that shoots above 70%? I mean come on and talk with some commonsense. Now I hope he finds his shot and becomes a great player for us. But numbers don't lie and last year his numbers were awful. Let's hope that changes since he is wearing green or I mean black.

Dan's numbers lie. remember when you were his #1 fan then turned to his #1 hater?

Offline Rockin Herd Fan

« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2024, 03:34:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Double post

Offline MLBULL

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2024, 08:21:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mikal Dawson playing at Huntington High was the AAA West Virginia state player of the year both his junior (23 points 10 reb) and senior year (25 points 10 reb). I think he gives the HERD more scoring than most on this forum. Being home for his final year should be a positive.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, FilmJunky

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2024, 08:21:00 PM »