Author Topic: Mikal Dawson to Marshall  (Read 4322 times)

Offline marshallmark

Re: Mikal Dawson to Marshall
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2024, 09:39:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He's a solid player coming home.  I don't read or expect anything more than that
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: overherd1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2024, 09:39:06 AM »

Online herdthatandrew

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2024, 10:16:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Speaking of former Huntington High basketball players, anyone see watch Mikey Johnson play? He's a 6-3 combo guard who is very athletic from what I've read. I haven't seen him play, so I don't know if he's a D-1 player.

I saw Mikey on a few occasions this past year. Not sure about his offers. I can tell you I'd take him over the likes of Braun, Nutter, Pruett and company. We don't have to look very far to find better guard play off the bench than that

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, Buffalo Bop, Collis P, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Offline Tim Hensley

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2024, 10:35:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Boys, don't expect much right off.  Even the neighboring schools from the lowly MAC are offering $80,000 per player in NIL money.  We can't compete with that.  Only about half of that figure is what we can do.  It's a whole new world out there -- even at first contact, players are demanding how much we can pay; all of the better ones now have agents.

Online herd2win

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2024, 11:01:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Boys, don't expect much right off.  Even the neighboring schools from the lowly MAC are offering $80,000 per player in NIL money.  We can't compete with that.  Only about half of that figure is what we can do.  It's a whole new world out there -- even at first contact, players are demanding how much we can pay; all of the better ones now have agents.

That is a defeatist attitude.  I am sure there is NIL money but there are thousands in the portal and Corny should be able to find some quality additions.  We are not seeing a fast start from him in securing a couple of the 3000 guys in the portal.

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #29 on: April 23, 2024, 12:18:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

DD really set Corny up for success with his fundraising

😂😂😂

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2024, 12:31:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DD really set Corny up for success with his fundraising

😂😂😂

Well Dan now has a fancy new title of Ambassador which a portion of his new role to be fundraising.

We are 2 years behind in nil structure for the bball team, because some thought it was just a fad or players didn't deserve nil until they had been here for at least a couple of years.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, parshall2marshall, svherd, wlf

Offline muherd34

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2024, 12:34:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

You sure we don?t have the money? Heard there was an influx of cash into the nil fund for bball.

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2024, 12:48:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Welcome Home Mr. Dawson.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2024, 12:59:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We always open the chip bags from the bottom rather than the top.  It?s much easier to go straight for the crumbs

Offline MUther

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2024, 08:13:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This board is miserable. I regret it every time I?m here, which is less and less.  We should all know by now that it?s about fit and system and not all about stats. Please give Corny and this process a chance.

If all you want to see is the same opinions as your own, then why would you need to come here at all?

We just had 10 years of "fit and system."  Frankly, I'd rather see some stats.  Stats can do some things when systems break down.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, wlf, scope58, herdorbust2

Online DC01HERD

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2024, 06:56:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Rotation player hopefully like what Rondale Watson gave us. Corny needs to difference makers. Dawson should be able to give some good minutes.
    « Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 06:57:53 AM by DC01HERD »

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Online chris88

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2024, 08:20:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Probably true but I would stay away from those kids just looking for bribes. I suspect most will find out there is little market for their services and then settle.  I wouldn't want most of those kids on my team as they may be more likely to be bitter and not good teammates. Give a kid $80k to come and there is nothing to keep them from looking for a bribe somewhere else next season. You're never going to out bribe the bigger schools. Can't wait until one of these prized players is offered $100k to fumble the ball in a big game. What's the difference? My thought is plenty of players out there looking for a legit chance to play in a different system etc. I would, however, work on a bonus structure for players when they win championships etc. Thinking outside the box is going to be required. Just raising more money for bribes isn't going to get you very far IMO.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, horsrman, herdorbust2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2024, 08:20:41 AM »

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2024, 09:18:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Probably true but I would stay away from those kids just looking for bribes. I suspect most will find out there is little market for their services and then settle.  I wouldn't want most of those kids on my team as they may be more likely to be bitter and not good teammates. Give a kid $80k to come and there is nothing to keep them from looking for a bribe somewhere else next season. You're never going to out bribe the bigger schools. Can't wait until one of these prized players is offered $100k to fumble the ball in a big game. What's the difference? My thought is plenty of players out there looking for a legit chance to play in a different system etc. I would, however, work on a bonus structure for players when they win championships etc. Thinking outside the box is going to be required. Just raising more money for bribes isn't going to get you very far IMO.

Agree and another thing. Corny may have the right approach just not trying to sign anyone. There are so many in the portal that it's crazy. Not counting Jucos. Wait long enough and some of these kids will become more eager to commit. Just keep recruiting and reaching out and it will come together.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Online overherd1

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2024, 09:37:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It does make sense that there are so many players in the portal that all of them will not be able to find a home.  There will be some that will be trying to find a home at the last minute.  Whether its more money or location change, I imagine there will be several that have a tough time finding a new home.  Seems like a crazy way to have to run a program!

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2024, 09:43:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MIKE D!!! Super athlete with a high motor. Don't look at the stats as they don't always show the whole picture. Some players just make the team better by being on the floor and Mike will do that. Will be the one one of the best athletes on the floor every night in the SBC. Strong very good defender and should be able to guard 1-4. High basketball IQ as well

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2024, 10:08:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dawson will be a Rondale Watson clone.   High energy kid, who will bring an immediate toughness that we didn't have.   High level athlete (which he didnt have) who plays fearless.   He's been to the NCAA tournament and comes from a program with a winning culture.  I'd look for his shooting percentage to improve.   Two years ago he shot 36% from three.   If he can get to 34-35%, thats a win.   Really like this signing.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2024, 10:45:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I do like his size. 6'5" 225. I just hope he can improve especially FT%. Hard to have a kid in at end of the game that can't shoot FTs. But we do need defense and toughness for sure. Martin plays hard and if they can get Obinna to be more physical and tough around the paint instead of camping out around the perimeter those things alone will be huge. Now get a true crafty athletic PG and some high motor slashers and let's play ball.

Online herdthatandrew

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2024, 11:21:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dawson will be a Rondale Watson clone.   High energy kid, who will bring an immediate toughness that we didn't have.   High level athlete (which he didnt have) who plays fearless.   He's been to the NCAA tournament and comes from a program with a winning culture.  I'd look for his shooting percentage to improve.   Two years ago he shot 36% from three.   If he can get to 34-35%, thats a win.   Really like this signing.

Love a Rondale clone when he's your 8th best guy. I'm sure all of our concerns are more about what we have at 1-7.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, chris88, Flat Tire 2, miltonherdfan, herdorbust2

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2024, 12:14:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • MIKE D!!! Super athlete with a high motor. Don't look at the stats as they don't always show the whole picture. Some players just make the team better by being on the floor and Mike will do that. Will be the one one of the best athletes on the floor every night in the SBC. Strong very good defender and should be able to guard 1-4. High basketball IQ as well
    Where did you come up with all these superlatives, don't look at the stats. Really?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, herdorbust2

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2024, 12:22:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why is he considered great at defense?   Not much rebounds or steals going on.  Trying to understand.
    He does carry good weight for 6.5!   Also tournament / winning team culture is a plus.  Hopefully we have a bunch more scholarships to give.

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2024, 12:47:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Give a kid $80k to come and there is nothing to keep them from looking for a bribe somewhere else next season. You're never going to out bribe the bigger schools. Can't wait until one of these prized players is offered $100k to fumble the ball in a big game. What's the difference?

There's a major difference. The former has never been a crime even when it was against NCAA rules. The latter is a felony that would land the person offering the $100K in federal prison.

There have been point shaving scandals in college sports going back at least 75 years. Saying that NIL will make it more likely doesn't make any sense. In fact, the opposite is true. Paying college athletes makes them far less susceptible to taking bribes that affect the outcome of a game.

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Offline Haveyouherd222

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2024, 01:54:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You're going to see us sign several more from the portal in the coming weeks.   I think we have 4-5 more scholarships to give.   Once the portal window closes, we have more of an advantage.   The amount of money a kid asks for is going to drop, bc they don't want to be left without a place to go.   Right now, the best kid from a bottom barrel CAA school, came in and asked for $200K.   Kid from Alabama, who didn't play in a single game this season, rolls in and asks for $150K.   We can't compete with that.  D2 All-American that picked Longwood over us, got $40K.   We aren't going to give that amount of money (nor do we have it) to a kid that might not even start.   It's pay to play right now.   We aren't in a position where we can sign some of these kids right now, when the asking price is so high...

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2024, 01:54:24 PM »

Offline muherd34

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2024, 02:02:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You're going to see us sign several more from the portal in the coming weeks.   I think we have 4-5 more scholarships to give.   Once the portal window closes, we have more of an advantage.   The amount of money a kid asks for is going to drop, bc they don't want to be left without a place to go.   Right now, the best kid from a bottom barrel CAA school, came in and asked for $200K.   Kid from Alabama, who didn't play in a single game this season, rolls in and asks for $150K.   We can't compete with that.  D2 All-American that picked Longwood over us, got $40K.   We aren't going to give that amount of money (nor do we have it) to a kid that might not even start.   It's pay to play right now.   We aren't in a position where we can sign some of these kids right now, when the asking price is so high...

Curious if you?re just assuming we dont have the money?  Or if you have a source? 

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, whf

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2024, 02:23:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • D2 AA would start for Marshall

Longwood shouldn?t be recruiting better than Herd

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, wlf, herdfan129

Offline GoHerd35

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2024, 02:38:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • D2 AA would start for Marshall

Longwood shouldn?t be recruiting better than Herd

Longwood has put together something solid on paper at least.

KJ McClurg (D2), Kyrell Luc (St Bona), Colby Garland (Drake) and they just added DJ Jefferson (Tennessee.)

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2024, 02:38:15 PM »