Author Topic: Was it a bad thing?  (Read 1381 times)

Offline wlf

Re: Was it a bad thing?
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2024, 12:07:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Valid observation regarding men's basketball..
    Not quite as much with women's.

However, most of the teams that did well in the tournaments had well established programs. On the men's side there were more transfers than on the women side.

They're only a step or two behind MBB now. More tv more advertising more money.

After money...

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2024, 12:07:18 PM »

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2024, 12:18:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Has there ever been a time when women's basketball was discussed on these boards as much as it has been this season?

I tried to "warn" 10-15-18 years ago, what with my post with a faux interview with a fictional MU AD. "We had no idea WBB would become this big.".

Let's keep it going with a great hire and make that post a reality.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2024, 12:33:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Has there ever been a time when women's basketball was discussed on these boards as much as it has been this season?

It will fade. Kim was a once in a lifetime for Marshall woman's basketball. Her style brought as many fans as the wins. Can we find another that brings that much excitement and style of play with a championship? Sure, but not likely. This time next year we will know the answer.

The following users thanked this post: elginherd

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2024, 01:26:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I think the situation with MB might have helped develop interest in the WB program. The men were badly coached and didn't play defense. Kim comes in as young and highly motivated coach who had a positive attitude in stark contrast to the MB situation.

I think Kim success and how she handled the program made Marshall realize that it was time to move on from Dan. Kim was certainly more professional in handling the head coaching position than Dan. I think Kim exposed Dan and his problems. If losing Kim after one year resulted in the firing Dan, it was worth the drama.

Plus times are changing for younger people. They don't have the same bias against women's sports like older males. The level of play of women has increase a lot just in the last few years ago.

One thing we do know, is that the fans will support winning programs. Just look at soccer and softball, who would ever thought we would have high attendance for soccer? Fans are asking for more seating capacity at the Vet. Most of the fans don't even understand the game, but they come to watch them play because they are winning.
    « Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 08:34:40 PM by Flat Tire 2 »

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad, puma, Nicks Pizza

Online muherd34

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2024, 01:32:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Definitely not a bad thing.  We were and have been irrelevant in wbb since forever.  Maybe we can parlay into another good hire since we have shown you can move up quickly by doing a great job here.  Definitely a positive hire.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, MUonium

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2024, 08:13:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • U hire the best candidate and let the chips fall where they may
    Standard practice

Offline herdloyal

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2024, 08:28:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Elevate Marshall to approach a P5 conference such as the ACC which going to be losing some of there major Schools. Worthy of the effort.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #32 on: April 11, 2024, 10:56:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Every college that has an athletic department wants to be the ?cradle of coaches?.   To hire future legend after future legend but it?s not likely to happen. 

I definitely think fans overvalue coaches compared to great players.  I feel like today?s game needs to be more about attracting players.  Saban basically said NIL will greatly limit a coaches control over his team.

You look at every great coach and they have had average or below average seasons and the reason why is simply because of players.

You can also see coaches that take over a program where the coach was hired away and they come in right behind them and win big, then as the other coach?s players leave they start to become average and end up being fired and it?s the exact same reason, players.

Two things I think Marshall can do to navigate the college athletic world. 

Treat players as well as possible, build a family environment and stay competitive with NIL compared to our conference mates.

Let the dam AD hire the coaches!  Stop all the political (bleep) and the huge hiring committees.  The only people that should have a say are the President and AD.  Why hire a bright young AD that is an expert in his field and then make him subservient to boosters and politicians, whom know very little to nothing about college athletics?

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, muherd34

Offline banker

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2024, 01:57:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh no, the program may fall back to exactly where it was before we hired her!  At least we got one year of excitement in a sport where we have had zero excitement in 20 years.

Why have sex with that hottie at the bar?  I mean you have always had sex with ugly women and will probably go right back to only having sex with ugly women after tonight, so just skip the opportunity, Amirite?

The following users thanked this post: gochneaur645

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2024, 03:30:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh no, the program may fall back to exactly where it was before we hired her!  At least we got one year of excitement in a sport where we have had zero excitement in 20 years.

Why have sex with that hottie at the bar?  I mean you have always had sex with ugly women and will probably go right back to only having sex with ugly women after tonight, so just skip the opportunity, Amirite?

Speak for yourself.
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

The following users thanked this post: miltonherdfan

Offline TomorrowHERD

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2024, 02:24:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Winning is good....  ALWAYS!!!!!!!!

I would love to have our coaches poached every 2-3 years by bigger programs...   

"I am for a government that is rigorously frugal and simple. Were we directed from Washington when to sow, when to reap, we should soon want bread."
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
    "I predict future hapiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."-Thomas Jefferson
    http://www.cnmi-guide.com/ipg/islandlife/saipan2/

The following users thanked this post: mu79grad

HerdFans.com

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2024, 02:24:59 AM »