Author Topic: Kari Pickens  (Read 2166 times)

Offline MarshallSteve

Kari Pickens
« on: April 08, 2024, 10:25:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Seems that Kari Pickens has been in the rumor mill for the job. Here is a link to see her style of play. Ironically, in this video her team is playing Glenville State coached by Kim.

https://youtu.be/ouvVa6ZCOcs?si=V7KeHZvTpLmgHjyJ

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 10:50:54 AM by MarshallSteve »

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, ru4mu2, elginherd

HerdFans.com

Kari Pickens
    « on: April 08, 2024, 10:25:33 AM »

Offline ru4mu2

Re: Kari Pickens
    « Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 10:28:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Seems that Kari Pickens has been in the rumor mill for the job. Here is a link to see her style of play. Ironically, in this video her team is playing Glenville State in the National Championship coached by Kim.

https://youtu.be/ouvVa6ZCOcs?si=V7KeHZvTpLmgHjyJ

Sent from my SM-A546U using Tapatalk
    I watched them play and beat Glenville in the 2023 final 4 when Ashland won it all. 

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 10:29:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That video is of the 2023 Final Four game.

Kim had lost 10 players off her 2022 team that had won the national championship.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 10:52:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pickens has a 173-17 record at Ashland for a 91% winning percentage.

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 11:06:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 11:27:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What kind of style does she run? I don?t have good enough service to properly upload video right now.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline MUther

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 02:36:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You can see that Caldwell comeback start to happen but it ran out of gas.  Wonder if she's always had that happen in her style where persistence wins over talent.  They just wear teams down and force mistakes. 

Offline svherd

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 03:26:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kim's issue will be getting enough top talent to buy into her system. The kids who can compete with the SC's and Iowa's of the world want to be on the floor all the time and not share minutes. Will she be able to convince them they can get numbers and get the attention of the WNBA scouts in her system? Not sure.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, usedcars1

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 04:10:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know nothing about Kari Pickens except for what I've read on here. If she runs the same style of offense and defense that Kim ran, that would seem to be a logical choice.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline BIG HERDFAN

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2024, 10:20:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don?t know how she?d be here at MU but I think this is a pretty impressive resume

Kari Pickens

Pickens begins 2023-24 as the second-winningest NCAA women's basketball coach all-time in terms of winning percentage, minimum 150 games (.904).

Has guided Ashland to a 142-15 record, one NCAA Division II national championship, four conference tournament titles, three conference regular-season championships and five NCAA Division II tournament berths in her first five seasons as head coach.
          Still ranks 12th on Ashland's all-time scoring list (1,414 points) despite playing just two seasons in the program.
          Was named the women's basketball program's 13th head coach on April 3, 2018, following five seasons as an assistant, including one as the program's associate head coach.
          In 2022-23, Pickens guided Ashland to a 37-0 record and a D-II national title, as well as Midwest Regional, Great Midwest Athletic Conference Tournament and Great Midwest regular-season championships.
          The national championship makes Pickens the only woman in D-II history to win a title as a player, assistant coach and head coach, and just the second woman in NCAA history to do so, along with Kim Mulkey.
          Following the season, Pickens was named Women's Basketball Coaches Association D-II Coach of the Year, becoming the first woman to earn both WBCA Coach of the Year and Player of the Year honors, and the first coach in any NCAA division to be both WBCA Coach of the Year and Assistant Coach of the Year.
          The 2021-22 season saw the Eagles go 29-3 overall, reach the NCAA playoffs, and win both the Great Midwest regular-season and postseason titles. Pickens was named Great Midwest Coach of the Year in the team's first season in the league.
          In 2020-21, Pickens guided the Eagles to a 16-9 finish overall and 11-7 mark in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, as well as a third NCAA Tournament berth in as many years. Ashland finished the season strong, winning eight of its last 10 games and reaching the championship games of both the GLIAC and Midwest Regional tournaments.
          The 2019-20 season saw Ashland finish 31-0 overall and 20-0 in the GLIAC, as the Eagles won both the GLIAC regular-season and tournament championships. Pickens was named the GLIAC Coach of the Year, and Ashland qualified for the NCAA Division II postseason, which was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
          In her first season leading the Eagles in 2018-19, Pickens went 29-3 overall and 18-2 in the GLIAC, and AU won its fourth consecutive GLIAC Tournament championship and made its fifth consecutive NCAA Division II postseason appearance.
          Pickens is synonymous with the success Ashland's women's basketball program has had over the last 11 seasons, starting with putting up perhaps the best back-to-back seasons as a player in Division II women's basketball history after transferring from Division I Dayton.
          During the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons, in which Ashland was the national runner-up and won its first national championship, Pickens recorded 1,414 points and 903 rebounds, seventh- and fourth-most all-time at Ashland, respectively. She has the Division II women's basketball record for most consecutive games with a double-double in a career (34), and still claims Eagle program records for single-game rebounds (24), single-season points (744), single-season rebounds (492), single-season rebounding average (14.1) and career scoring average (21.8).
          In 30 games in 2012-13, Pickens averaged 22.3 points, 13.7 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game while shooting 52.2 percent from the field, 40.8 percent from 3-point range and 82.9 percent from the free-throw line. As a junior, Pickens averaged 21.3 points, 14.1 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game in 35 contests, and hit 50.3 percent from the field, 34.1 percent from 3-point range and 84.1 percent from the free-throw line.
          Pickens' playing accolades included being named two-time Honda Sports Award D-II Female Athlete of the Year, 2013 Capital One Female Student-Athlete Academic All-American of the Year, 2013 Capital One Women's Basketball Academic All-American of the Year, two-time WBCA National Player of the Year, two-time WBCA first-team All-American, 2013 D-II Elite Eight Most Outstanding Player, two-time Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Player of the Year and 2013 GLIAC Female Scholar-Athlete of the Year.
          As an assistant coach, Pickens was named WBCA NCAA Division II Assistant Coach of the Year in 2016-17, and earned one of the WBCA's inaugural "Thirty Under 30" awards in 2015-16.
    BEFORE ASHLAND UNIVERSITY
          Pickens played two seasons at Dayton, where she scored 389 points and averaged 6.0 ppg. and 16.0 minutes per game. She was named to the all-Atlantic 10 Rookie Team, and, as a sophomore, was cited as a CoSIDA Second Team Academic All-District pick.
          At River View High School, Pickens was a two-time first-team all-Ohio selection. In 2009, she was the Ohio co-Player of the Year. Pickens was a member of two state-championship teams (2006-07) and a state runner-up (2009).
          In the spring of 2014, Pickens played professionally for the Lakeside Lightning in Perth, Australia. She was the team?s Most Valuable Player, averaging 21.1 points, 11.1 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game. Pickens led the State Basketball League in free-throw percentage (85.4) and rebounds (299), and was second in points per game.

PICKENS YEAR-BY-YEAR
Year                 
    Year                 School                   Record       
    2022-23           Ashland                 37-0         
    2021-22           Ashland                 29-3         
    2020-21           Ashland                 16-9         
    2019-20           Ashland                 31-0         
    2018-19           Ashland                 29-3           
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 10:23:09 PM by BIG HERDFAN »
    "Nobody but nobody comes into our house and pushes us around!"

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, Buffalo Bop, MicDrass1

Offline MicDrass1

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2024, 11:48:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Name of the game is recruiting.  Best teams have the best players    Win with players and coaches guidance

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2024, 01:24:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • GLIAC is also a legit D2 conference with Grand Valley and a few others who have huge enrollments for D2 schools. This is top level D2 basketball.

I hope we can get her.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

The following users thanked this post: MicDrass1

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2024, 01:24:00 AM »

Offline MUonium

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2024, 10:37:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tim Stephens of the H-D listed potential candidates-

Jenna Burdette (simply a formaiity?  is she gone to TN or not?).
    Kari Pickens Ashland University, outsanding W-L record in DII.
    Lynn Bria Stetson coach and a Marshall assistant in the early 1990s.
    Ginny Boggess Led Monmouth to a 22-10 record and the second round of the WNIT this season. A former assistant at Penn State, Marquette, Jacksonville, Hofstra, Kennesaw State and Columbia, Boggess is from Hamlin, West Virginia.
    Lexie Barrier Knows Marshall, the Sun Belt Conference and the Tri-State. An assistant at James Madison the last two seasons, she helped lead the Dukes to a conference title in 2023.  a Marshall assistant in 2021-2022 and before that, she spent a year as a graduate assistant at North Carolina State.  She was a 1,000-point scorer at James Madison after leading Ironton High to a state tournament berth as a senior.
    Shayna Gore The Logan native was an assistant at Western Carolina last season, her first as a full-time coach. The former Herd star was a graduate assistant at Indiana.
    Mike Carey Longtime West Virginia University coach is an assistant at the University of Central Florida. A native of Clarksburg, West Virginia, he went 735-341 in 34 years at WVU and Salem. UCF went 12-17 this season.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, miltonherdfan

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2024, 10:52:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tim Stephens of the H-D listed potential candidates-

Jenna Burdette (simply a formaiity?  is she gone to TN or not?).
    Kari Pickens Ashland University, outsanding W-L record in DII.
    Lynn Bria Stetson coach and a Marshall assistant in the early 1990s.
    Ginny Boggess Led Monmouth to a 22-10 record and the second round of the WNIT this season. A former assistant at Penn State, Marquette, Jacksonville, Hofstra, Kennesaw State and Columbia, Boggess is from Hamlin, West Virginia.
    Lexie Barrier Knows Marshall, the Sun Belt Conference and the Tri-State. An assistant at James Madison the last two seasons, she helped lead the Dukes to a conference title in 2023.  a Marshall assistant in 2021-2022 and before that, she spent a year as a graduate assistant at North Carolina State.  She was a 1,000-point scorer at James Madison after leading Ironton High to a state tournament berth as a senior.
    Shayna Gore The Logan native was an assistant at Western Carolina last season, her first as a full-time coach. The former Herd star was a graduate assistant at Indiana.
    Mike Carey Longtime West Virginia University coach is an assistant at the University of Central Florida. A native of Clarksburg, West Virginia, he went 735-341 in 34 years at WVU and Salem. UCF went 12-17 this season.

Jenna, Kari, Mike, Ginny out of that list. The rest no thanks.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2024, 10:53:13 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ginny Boggess was just hired yesterday to be Toledo's women's basketball coach.

Good coach though.

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2024, 11:19:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Any one else hearing that Tom Jessee is one of the finalist?

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2024, 11:22:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mike Carey has retired to FL and only is an ass't at Stetson b/c its in his backyard.  He won't come to Marshall, we couldn't afford him, and he's a massive tool.  No thank you.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: svherd, herddds

Offline elginherd

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2024, 11:30:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thought experiment:
    If Tony Kemper had won the SBC regular season and tournament championships playing his style of ball, would the attendance have jumped as the season progressed as it did with Coach Kim?

The excitement factor undoubtedly is at the front of Spears' mind.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Online MUfan08

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2024, 11:35:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline svherd

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2024, 11:45:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pickens should be the number one choice - IF she is even interested.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2024, 11:50:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Word I got today on Tom Jessee and why Marshall likes him:

Career Record of 636-273

But he has gone 100-15 since the inception of the transfer portal for a 87% winning percentage.

He was able to lure quality transfers to a D2 school from such places as : South Florida, JMU, Charleston Southern, New Mexico, Bowling Green, Hampton Delaware, Loyola, Samford, etc......along with D2 transfers and freshmen.

He is a native of the state of WV and was at one time Bluefield State women's coach with a record of 170-89 which is not an easy place to win at since during that time they had no on-campus housing for athletes.

That is what I was told. I don't know much else other than this guy is known to be real active with the transfer portal and won with it by embracing it. He also lost to Caldwell by 10 points a few years ago in the Elite Eight.

I am not advocating the guy; just going by what someone I trust told me this morning.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 11:52:03 AM by jdonaccbus »

Offline elginherd

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2024, 12:04:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Word I got today on Tom Jessee and why Marshall likes him:

Career Record of 636-273

But he has gone 100-15 since the inception of the transfer portal for a 87% winning percentage.

He was able to lure quality transfers to a D2 school from such places as : South Florida, JMU, Charleston Southern, New Mexico, Bowling Green, Hampton Delaware, Loyola, Samford, etc......along with D2 transfers and freshmen.

He is a native of the state of WV and was at one time Bluefield State women's coach with a record of 170-89 which is not an easy place to win at since during that time they had no on-campus housing for athletes.

That is what I was told. I don't know much else other than this guy is known to be real active with the transfer portal and won with it by embracing it. He also lost to Caldwell by 10 points a few years ago in the Elite Eight.

I am not advocating the guy; just going by what someone I trust told me this morning.

Style of play?
    Do his teams generate any excitement in and around the Tampa community?
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2024, 12:04:51 PM »

Offline jdonaccbus

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2024, 12:10:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Style of play?

I could not tell you any thing else that I would know. I heard he is one liked and that a D1 assistant is liked. I don't even know if Pickens is interested. I was hoping she was.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #23 on: April 10, 2024, 02:16:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Style of play?
    Averaged 67 points a game last year.  I like the uptempo game.  I?m not interested in this coach

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, elginherd

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2024, 03:16:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i'm just looking for a coach that's good at what he does & wins games

up-tempo caldwell fit that description, up-tempo DD not so much

The following users thanked this post: MUtim, Flat Tire 2

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2024, 03:16:26 PM »