Author Topic: Jeff Goodman says Dan plans to return next season  (Read 1628 times)

Online scope58

Re: Jeff Goodman says Dan plans to return next season
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2024, 10:32:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate saying this but I don?t care.  Mu bb is going to stink and I?ll check the box score after the games are over.  No interest in it right now.  Boring product.  I enjoy watching WBB much more.
    Getting season tickets for womens this coming year. Never thought i would say that.

The following users thanked this post: MUtim, mr_ash_1995, svherd, HerdEcon, MicDrass1, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2024, 10:32:51 PM »

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2024, 10:41:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Getting season tickets for womens this coming year. Never thought i would say that.

If Kim is able to recruit as good as she can coach then she will have the best and most exciting game in town.  Kim loses some major talent at the end of this season.

The following users thanked this post: scope58

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2024, 10:55:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mr. Spears always has replied including earlier and also regarding comments Huff made that upset me.  I sent a second email regarding the mens team after we lost on Saturday and Spears did not respond.  Mr. Smith did not respond.
    I for one would like to see you copy the email you sent and post it here.

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2024, 10:57:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have sent several emails to both Mr. Smith and Spears.  I have also reached out to Spears on X.

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2024, 10:58:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I also reached out to Mr. Spears and highlighted that ODU and Coastal are stepping up in hiring coaches and not making a move will leave us further behind. I find it disgusting that they will allow a family to take take the Athletic Department hostage.

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2024, 11:04:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here is a note that I sent:
    ------ Original Message ------
    To: athleticdirector@marshall.edu
    Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2024 5:10 PM
    Subject: Marshall University sports

Mr. Spears,

My name is ______ _______and I live in Beckley, WV. I have been a fan of Marshall basketball since 1965. I grew up in Mullens WV and graduated with Mike D'Antoni; Mr. Lewis D'Antoni was my high school principal. Mike and I went to school together from the 3rd grade thru high school and I attended Marshall in 69/70. I vaguely knew Danny. (due to the age difference). The D'Antoni family has a very good name in Mullens & throughout the state.

I wanted to comment regarding pre or postgame comments by ANY of our sports team coaches. I very much like to listen to them (especially basketball & football). I most always can hear the coach's responses; however, I most never am able to hear the comments from the reporters or anyone else (even when you were introduced a year or two ago).

Would it be feasible or practical for MU to "set up" or install a mic or mics to help rectify the problem? I have also noticed that several of universities have this same problem.

I would also like to make a few other comments. Here in southern WV (Beckley especially) we aren't able to listen to radio broadcasts. It would be GREAT to have a good quality FM station airing broadcasts. There is virtually no advertisement from MU. The local newspaper (The Register-Herald) doesn't publish much at all (unless it is several days old and/or they copied something from some other source). There are three events in our part of the state that attract thousands and thousands of people each year and MU doesn't have any (that I know of) participation in either of them. The three most popular are: The WV State Fair, Bridge Day (New River Gorge bridge in October) and TOOT (taste of our town in Lewisburg). Participation in these events possibly could be staffed by current students in the college of business, journalism, hospitality & tourism departments or even sports administration. There are multiple billboards in the area that would be great areas to advertise our great MU (on interstates, multi lane roads, etc.). There is very little MU apparel in our local clothing stores.

I am very well aware that some of these thoughts or ideas require a financial sacrifice, but if the product is to ever grow from where it is now, something will have to change.

Thank you for all that you do or have done since your time at Marshall.

______ _______(my tag on the multiple MU sites is "Always The Herd".

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2024, 02:28:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall will suffer major consequences for bringing him back. Either they are tone deaf to the current mood around the fanbase, or they just don't care. Both will result in a major fan boycott next season. Spears and Smith can't say they weren't warned.

There will be no boycott as the ticket sales will not change markedly
    The over 50 demographic love him

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2024, 06:54:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There will be no boycott as the ticket sales will not change markedly

Who loves horrible, non-competitive, incompetent basketball?

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, forphase1, parshall2marshall, scope58

Offline MUther

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2024, 07:18:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I for one would like to see you copy the email you sent and post it here.

He did post it before you wrote this. 

Most people are too apathetic to bother.  Any e-mail made at this point is going to be construed as angry fans because we lost in the tournament.  If they're going to get rid of him they're going to get rid of him. If not, they won't.  Someone who is not receiving those e-mails is puling the strings.  There are just as many fans writing how he is an icon of Marshal history and should be retained. 

As was said, he needs to be reigned in and made miserable to the point that he doesn't want to do the job under those circumstances.  IMO, that would include some long bus rides which he has publicly stated he doesn't care for.  Take away some freedom and amenities, and take away some fans and money and force him out.  We're probably stuck with him for next year but just ignore the program until the changes you want are made.  No TV, no attendance, no donation to MBB.  That will get their attention more than a 30 second e-mail. you didn't even have to walk to the mailbox to send, will ever do.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2024, 07:33:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He did post it before you wrote this. 

Most people are too apathetic to bother.  Any e-mail made at this point is going to be construed as angry fans because we lost in the tournament.  If they're going to get rid of him they're going to get rid of him. If not, they won't.  Someone who is not receiving those e-mails is puling the strings.  There are just as many fans writing how he is an icon of Marshal history and should be retained. 

As was said, he needs to be reigned in and made miserable to the point that he doesn't want to do the job under those circumstances.  IMO, that would include some long bus rides which he has publicly stated he doesn't care for.  Take away some freedom and amenities, and take away some fans and money and force him out.  We're probably stuck with him for next year but just ignore the program until the changes you want are made.  No TV, no attendance, no donation to MBB.  That will get their attention more than a 30 second e-mail. you didn't even have to walk to the mailbox to send, will ever do.

The problem with your approach is DD has already shown a propensity to bitch publicly.  Do the things you're suggesting and he starts publicly whining which makes Marshall look bad.  He bitches for the next year or two and his public complaints will influence the coaches who might otherwise apply for the job to stear away.

Either the administration needs to pull the bandage off quickly or do what they can to make DD successful through the next two years.  Anything else makes the school look bad.

The following users thanked this post: muherd34, MUonium

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2024, 07:51:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He did post it before you wrote this. 

If he posted it, I would like to read it again. Is it in this post somewhere?

Online Always THE HERD

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2024, 07:55:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hi Mr. Spears,

It should be an easy Monday for you tomorrow to inform Dan that the university is going in a different direction.  2 of the past 3 years have been a disaster and nothing points to next year being any better.

Look what our conference mates have done already in getting new coaches for next year.

Why prolong the obvious.  Fans can see through if you dumb down the OOC schedule to get Dan a winning season next year.  Nothing points to future success.

Compare Dan to Kim and it should be easy to make a change.  Please do what is right for Marshall and not the easy thing of keeping a "connected" coach.

This is the second email in a week I had sent.
    I apologize to you, I did not see this posted earlier.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2024, 07:55:40 AM »

Online svherd

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2024, 08:02:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well next years excuses will be -

1. We are young.
    2. We lost the scoring of Kurfman, Voyles and whoever else leaves.
    3. I only have one year left on my contract so it's hard to convince a kid to some here knowing their coach may be gone after one year.
    4. Our league is tough to win.

Rinse and repeat. His legacy is taking a major hit. Sadly.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, herdfan129

Offline bighat

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2024, 08:14:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you quit and I did say quit then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2024, 08:20:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I for one would like to see you copy the email you sent and post it here.

I didn't send and email. I reached out in a private, direct message on X. What is your reason for wanting to know what I wrote?

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, Flat Tire 2

Online jdonaccbus

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2024, 08:26:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you quit and I did say quit then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

The door that is going to be hitting me would be the door on a broken down bus with about six flat tires and a lazy guy sitting in the drivers seat.

I am giving up my men's tickets that I have held since the early 90s and not donating to Dan's program. I am shifting all resources that I donate over to the women's team. That isn't quitting. From my heart of hearts, I think that is doing what is best for Marshall University and its' athletic program.

Online svherd

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2024, 08:29:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The door that is going to be hitting me would be the door on a broken down bus with about six flat tires and a lazy guy sitting in the drivers seat.

I am giving up my men's tickets that I have held since the early 90s and not donating to Dan's program. I am shifting all resources that I donate over to the women's team. That isn't quitting. From my heart of hearts, I think that is doing what is best for Marshall University and its' athletic program.

Exactly. No one is quitting. Most of us, if not all, will support the school in other ways or through donating to other sports programs. The MU men's basketball program has quit on the fans, not vice versa.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, parshall2marshall, jdonaccbus, ru4mu2, MUonium, GreenDaddy, Herdalum94

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2024, 08:47:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The gaff has been made. D'Antoni will be here two more years. It's time President Smith looks at the business side of this. Letting a family hold the men's basketball program hostage is not good business.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, ru4mu2, Flat Tire 2

Offline herdfifteen

Re: Jeff Goodman says Dan plans to return next seas
    « Reply #43 on: March 14, 2024, 08:55:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IMO Smith loves that everyone loves him as president at this point in time. I don't think he has the guts to make a change and get on the bad side of the Dantoni's and a few of their higher up friends. Smith and Spears need to do what is best for Marshall and let the chips fall where they may. The last guy that had any balls as AD whether you liked him or not was Lee Moon.
    Thanks, you are on target about Smith.

Offline MUther

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2024, 08:58:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The problem with your approach is DD has already shown a propensity to bitch publicly.  Do the things you're suggesting and he starts publicly whining which makes Marshall look bad.  He bitches for the next year or two and his public complaints will influence the coaches who might otherwise apply for the job to stear away.

Either the administration needs to pull the bandage off quickly or do what they can to make DD successful through the next two years.  Anything else makes the school look bad.

He can't make Marshall look worse than his program already does.  He will come off as an underperforming whiner with another losing record to everyone but the people that are going to support him no matter what he does.  The ball has been in his court, so to speak, a few years now.  He is the one being selfish, not Marshall.  Maybe we finally get some media to ask him real questions.  Sounds like some are breaking ranks already asking him about his future here in the last press conference. 

Offline MUther

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2024, 09:01:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If he posted it, I would like to read it again. Is it in this post somewhere?

A few posts up in the thread:

"'Hi Mr. Spears,

It should be an easy Monday for you tomorrow to inform Dan that the university is going in a different direction.  2 of the past 3 years have been a disaster and nothing points to next year being any better.

Look what our conference mates have done already in getting new coaches for next year.

Why prolong the obvious.  Fans can see through if you dumb down the OOC schedule to get Dan a winning season next year.  Nothing points to future success.

Compare Dan to Kim and it should be easy to make a change.  Please do what is right for Marshall and not the easy thing of keeping a "connected" coach.'

This is the second email in a week I had sent."

Offline mubowhunter

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2024, 09:21:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • you know, Dan is just about the right age to get into national politics.

Yep

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2024, 09:21:19 AM »

Online FilmJunky

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2024, 10:14:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well next years excuses will be -

1. We are young.
    2. We lost the scoring of Kurfman, Voyles and whoever else leaves.
    3. I only have one year left on my contract so it's hard to convince a kid to some here knowing their coach may be gone after one year.
    4. Our league is tough to win.

Rinse and repeat. His legacy is taking a major hit. Sadly.

Don't forget the Andy Taylor left in may or we would have won 25 games

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, svherd

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2024, 10:39:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are three events in our part of the state that attract thousands and thousands of people each year and MU doesn't have any (that I know of) participation in either of them. The three most popular are: The WV State Fair, Bridge Day (New River Gorge bridge in October) and TOOT (taste of our town in Lewisburg). Participation in these events possibly could be staffed by current students in the college of business, journalism, hospitality & tourism departments or even sports administration.

I don't know about TOOT (been there but don't recall a MU presence), but the Marshall Med School is the 'official' first aid provider at the bottom of the gorge for those accidents that inevitably happen on Bridge Day.  I know that its presence is well noted with banners, tents, etc.  Also, I tried to get hold of some in Marshall's administration late last summer and was told they were all at the fair, fwiw. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline herdfan93

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2024, 10:56:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There will be no boycott as the ticket sales will not change markedly

Speak for yourself

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

HerdFans.com