Author Topic: Spring Game  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Head Coach
  • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
Re: Spring Game
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2024, 11:43:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Is the parachek the Qb that came into bowl game & threw pick 6 on first pass attempt?

Yeah, but he still has to throw 6 more interceptions, along with 0 touchdowns to have worse game stats than Cole Pennington.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4869817/cole-pennington

The following users thanked this post: svherd, Johns1124, BigJimslade

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2024, 11:43:30 PM »

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2024, 11:56:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So two questions from those that were able to attend.

1) Do we have a QB?
    2) Do we have any WRs that can separate?

1) Running an air raid offense, the score was 7-7 at halftime and 14-7 at the end of the game.  What do you think?  I was encouraged by Parachek's completion % and disappointed by CP %.
    2)  A bunch of short high % passes.  The best series of the game was CP 99 yard TD series.  Parachek scored more points.  We are weak at QB and given the number of short passes, it's hard to say.  We didn't see the full playbook. Several players still learning the playbook.

Parachek put more touch on his passes and was more accurate.  He was more Chad Pennington like than Cole P.

Braxton had a bad day.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, svherd

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2024, 12:42:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1) Running an air raid offense, the score was 7-7 at halftime and 14-7 at the end of the game.  What do you think?  I was encouraged by

To be fair the game was 8 minute quarters on a running clock. But yeah I wasn't impressed with the offense either.

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #28 on: April 22, 2024, 07:29:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To be fair the game was 8 minute quarters on a running clock. But yeah I wasn't impressed with the offense either.

Spears better have a great FCS coach targeted for our next coach

Go Herd!

Offline FilmJunky

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2024, 08:14:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i've been wondering when MU is going to spring the official primary color scheme change.  black is the new shade of kelly green.  it's been said over the years the players like black.  i don't give a damn what the players like- go play for a team whose primary is black.  this ain't UC Fking F or App or whoever

Marshall does not have green tops right now. They gave the jerseys to players after the bowl game and have not ordered the new ones in yet due to roster turnover. The white and black are last years tops. They had enough extra black and white to slap names on the back for the newcomers. Did not have new greens in yet.

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, goherd73, parshall2marshall, ru4mu2, miltonherdfan, BigJimslade

Offline svherd

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2024, 08:32:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sounds like we held out some OL guys, starters. We have a lot of questions for sure. Griffis has to be the man, or our Air Raid will be grounded. Right now, 6-6 is about as good as we can do, unless we improve a heck of a lot from now until September.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, miltonherdfan

Offline girthyherdon

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2024, 08:47:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here?s a welcome to 2024 moment. Antonio Robinson, who caught two TD?s on Saturday, entered the portal on Sunday.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Online herd2win

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2024, 08:53:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here?s a welcome to 2024 moment. Antonio Robinson, who caught two TD?s on Saturday, entered the portal on Sunday.

It is sad where college athletics have ended up.  Unlimited transfers, unlimited money to players, guys can play womens sports.  No use to attach to a player as they will likely be gone. 

Just shows what happens without good leadership.  If the NCAA would have been proactive and allowed small stipends, allowed athletes to have jobs, then we would not be seeing the chaos we have now.

The following users thanked this post: svherd, elginherd, Herdalum94

Offline ru4mu2

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2024, 09:40:59 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is sad where college athletics have ended up.  Unlimited transfers, unlimited money to players, guys can play womens sports.  No use to attach to a player as they will likely be gone. 

Just shows what happens without good leadership.  If the NCAA would have been proactive and allowed small stipends, allowed athletes to have jobs, then we would not be seeing the chaos we have now.
    Chucky alluded to the possibility of the end of Spring game in Friday's column.  I also read similar on another sports website.  Not a lot can be taken away from these games.  If they go away it will hurt a program like ours as we charge a nominal fee for parking, program ads, etc... that go to the quarterback club. 

Offline elginherd

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2024, 11:18:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is sad where college athletics have ended up.  Unlimited transfers, unlimited money to players, guys can play womens sports.  No use to attach to a player as they will likely be gone. 

Thank you!
    A lot of posters on here don't realize what the root causes of the present situation are.

Add to this: The NCAA acted as if it was a law enforcement agency for decades.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Online herdorbust2

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2024, 12:35:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They have ruined college sports in every way. They should at least put a cap on what is allowed for NIL and rules of how it is used. Not just handing out checks from donors, etc. and the transfer rule should be ONE time only without sitting a year. It's complete chaos now.

The following users thanked this post: Johns1124

Online herd2win

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2024, 12:49:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They have ruined college sports in every way. They should at least put a cap on what is allowed for NIL and rules of how it is used. Not just handing out checks from donors, etc. and the transfer rule should be ONE time only without sitting a year. It's complete chaos now.

They wanted to limit transfers but a lawsuit by WVU filed in WV made the NCAA change direction and allow unlimited transfers.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2024, 12:49:13 PM »

Offline muherd34

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2024, 01:34:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

He was a PWO, one has to wonder if we refused to give him a scholarship and he rolled.

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2024, 01:42:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sounds like we held out some OL guys, starters. We have a lot of questions for sure. Griffis has to be the man, or our Air Raid will be grounded. Right now, 6-6 is about as good as we can do, unless we improve a heck of a lot from now until September.

Are we short on OL depth?  We are installing a new offensive scheme that changes the OL.  Unless we are short on OL why hold any out of the spring game?       

Offline Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #39 on: April 22, 2024, 02:11:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Are we short on OL depth?  We are installing a new offensive scheme that changes the OL.  Unless we are short on OL why hold any out of the spring game?     

Trust the process

🤣🤣🤣

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, HerdEcon

Offline svherd

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2024, 02:16:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Are we short on OL depth?  We are installing a new offensive scheme that changes the OL.  Unless we are short on OL why hold any out of the spring game?     

I was out of town and didn't attend. From what I saw and read in the local media, sounded like we had some 1st teamers nicked up and some others dinged up as well. Thus they didn't play or played very few snaps. Someone that was there may know differently or could offer other input.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline HerdEcon

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2024, 02:17:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Trust the process

🤣🤣🤣

Oh that's right, I forgot about the process.  I hope the future process can score more points than the prior process.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, mr_ash_1995, svherd, Johnnyherd, miltonherdfan, puma

Offline Herdiowa

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2024, 11:02:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1) Running an air raid offense, the score was 7-7 at halftime and 14-7 at the end of the game.  What do you think?  I was encouraged by Parachek's completion % and disappointed by CP %.
    2)  A bunch of short high % passes.  The best series of the game was CP 99 yard TD series.  Parachek scored more points.  We are weak at QB and given the number of short passes, it's hard to say.  We didn't see the full playbook. Several players still learning the playbook.

Parachek put more touch on his passes and was more accurate.  He was more Chad Pennington like than Cole P.

Braxton had a bad day.
    Thank you for your update for the out of towners.

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon

Offline GreenBison

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2024, 07:49:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

There also needs to be a Salary Cap on coaches. Another idea would be to that after a teams makes X amount of dollars a certain percentage goes to academics and helps fund scholarships for normal students.
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

The following users thanked this post: herdorbust2

Offline puma

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2024, 11:13:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Oh that's right, I forgot about the process.  I hope the future process can score more points than the prior process.

That's what makes me laugh about all of this. I really doubt that Doc, Huff, Legg, Cramsey, or Trickett actually set out to have offenses like we've seen in the past decade. There's nothing about the Spread Offense or variations of it that call for running down the middle from a shotgun formation over and over again with a bunch of quick three and outs. That happens because of injuries, lack of talent, and an inability to implement literally anything else.

Switching schemes doesn't really change that. Either there's talent that can implement an actual offense or there isn't. With all the coming and going from the portal, I don't know if it's there or not. I truly hope it is. But I do know we lost a lot on the defensive side and are now in a conference with opponents that are pretty good for the most part.

Offline BigJimslade

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2024, 07:56:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

I too find that a tad odd

HerdFans.com

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2024, 07:56:31 PM »