Author Topic: Jacob Conner going to...  (Read 3138 times)

Offline 2xBison

Re: Jacob Conner going to...
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2024, 10:51:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are about 14 people on earth who care about this news.

congratulations on being one of the 14.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, wlf, Refiners

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2024, 10:51:49 AM »

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2024, 10:57:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Then that is an even bigger indictment of coaching.  The players were not out in a position to succeed.

that certainly wasn't the point, it wasn't to defend DD as I am glad he moved on and agree most of his problem was roster mgt vs coaching although there are some questions there too.

I just made that comment for our motor mouths that trashed all these kids that chose to play for the Herd.  for those that were frustrated, like all of us, but couldn't contain their frustration and let it evolve into menstruation and then blathered on ignorantly about players not being D1 or the entire roster not being D1, except two players.  We certainly had talent and roster problems, but that doesn't mean the roster is not D1 and furthermore the roster issues were DDs fault.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2024, 11:48:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Miami is full of D2 players

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, ThunderCat98

Offline MUther

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2024, 12:50:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • that certainly wasn't the point, it wasn't to defend DD as I am glad he moved on and agree most of his problem was roster mgt vs coaching although there are some questions there too.

I just made that comment for our motor mouths that trashed all these kids that chose to play for the Herd.  for those that were frustrated, like all of us, but couldn't contain their frustration and let it evolve into menstruation and then blathered on ignorantly about players not being D1 or the entire roster not being D1, except two players.  We certainly had talent and roster problems, but that doesn't mean the roster is not D1 and furthermore the roster issues were DDs fault.

To be fair, making the Miami team does not feed crow to anyone.  They aren't exactly a powerhouse in the sport these days.  If he'd gone to Toledo or Kent I might have respected his placement a bit more.  Whether he'll do well or not there is kind of irrelevant.  He didn't belong here on this team with that coach.  It was an awful fit, as were many if not most of the guys on the team.  Maybe they will succeed somewhere else, maybe they're just not good at this level.  There are guys that should have stayed here and there are guys that should have never been here.  Connor and the rest that left are closer to the latter than the former.  Taylor and West were probably the former.

The following users thanked this post: chris88, coalherd

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2024, 01:58:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To be fair, making the Miami team does not feed crow to anyone.  They aren't exactly a powerhouse in the sport these days.  If he'd gone to Toledo or Kent I might have respected his placement a bit more.  Whether he'll do well or not there is kind of irrelevant.  He didn't belong here on this team with that coach.  It was an awful fit, as were many if not most of the guys on the team.  Maybe they will succeed somewhere else, maybe they're just not good at this level.  There are guys that should have stayed here and there are guys that should have never been here.  Connor and the rest that left are closer to the latter than the former.  Taylor and West were probably the former.

I didn't say high major.  YOu and Micdrass do realize there are approximately 360 D1 basketball teams?  that leaves a lot of room for lower end D1.  our motor mouths repeatedly stated the roster was D2, so far one bench warmer and one starter to other d1 teams.  filibuster or blather all you want, fact is D1
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2024, 02:30:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Those HC will not last long.  They can?t tell a D1 player from D2.  Chase is better than Connor. 

Offline ThunderCat98

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2024, 03:48:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I heard the NIL money for him was $40,000.

If I were Miami, I'd have made him pay a lot more.

[ducking[
    « Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 03:50:55 PM by ThunderCat98 »

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD

Offline MUfan08

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2024, 03:52:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If I were Miami, I'd have made him pay a lot more.

[ducking[

The following users thanked this post: bearmann64, ThunderCat98

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2024, 03:54:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Responding to Marshall mark I had a World History teacher in high school who called Davidson College the "Harvard of the South"

TRS
    MU 71

Offline banker

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2024, 12:30:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well that's two of our non D1 players to D1 schools for our resident talent scouts here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So he?s good enough to get picked up by a horrible team in a bad conference. Legit.

The following users thanked this post: ThunderCat98

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2024, 07:32:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So he?s good enough to get picked up by a horrible team in a bad conference. Legit.
    Im not advocating Conner's talents, never did.  Just pointing out our flawed resident experts that repeatedly share their confident opinions as fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2024, 07:53:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The miami HC is on hot seat with another losing season.  He?s 2/2 on losing seasons.   He?s having a hard time upgrading talent at Miami.  Bad choices on his part.  DD of MAC

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2024, 07:53:44 AM »

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2024, 08:14:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FWIW: Conner is still not committed as of this morning per Verbal Commits. There is a thread about him on Hawktalk, but it based on the rumor from this tread and no seems to know if he is being recruited by Miami. Conner was recruited out of high school by Miami and his home is close to Oxford.

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD, herdfifteen

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2024, 09:02:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 40K is an overpay for Connor.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, svherd, ThunderCat98

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2024, 09:16:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • what i don't understand is, why does everyone have to get something (NIL)?  i don't mean this to be a personal attack at all, but why would anyone give NIL $ to JC?  if you think he can contribute to your program, i can see offering him the traditional full-ride.  but NIL?  he can legit make someone some $ off of his name, image, & likeness??

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline HoPPy785

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2024, 11:45:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • what i don't understand is, why does everyone have to get something (NIL)?  i don't mean this to be a personal attack at all, but why would anyone give NIL $ to JC?  if you think he can contribute to your program, i can see offering him the traditional full-ride.  but NIL?  he can legit make someone some $ off of his name, image, & likeness??

I have no idea if he was offered 40k, but I wouldn't be surprised.

40k is soon, if not already, going to be bare minimum to have a player on your team. It has nothing to do with getting a return for your business on the players NIL. I'd be willing to bet no NIL payout has seen a positive return for a business, regardless of the team or player.

If we don't find some big NIL money ASAP, we will be below some teams we make fun of before you know it.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo

Offline banker

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2024, 07:04:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

That?s the problem with NIL, it has nothing to do with NIL?  There are only a handful of players, maybe one or two on most teams that bring any value beyond the value of the brand and team they are playing for. Don?t believe me, ask this question- how many NFL players have big endorsement deals beyond maybe some local restaurants or car dealerships that can?t afford the big names? 

The Chiefs are winning a bunch of Superbowls, so obviously a lot of talent. Who besides Mahomes and Kelce have real value in their NIL?   Not even most NFL QBs are big endorsement guys. The vast majority of NFL players make their salary and that?s it, or 95% of it. College should be the same, most players just getting scholarships and the other standard perks and the superstars/big personality guys cutting some deals.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD, chris88, miltonherdfan, herdfan129

Offline elginherd

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2024, 08:01:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That?s the problem with NIL, it has nothing to do with NIL?  There are only a handful of players, maybe one or two on most teams that bring any value beyond the value of the brand and team they are playing for. Don?t believe me, ask this question- how many NFL players have big endorsement deals beyond maybe some local restaurants or car dealerships that can?t afford the big names? 

The Chiefs are winning a bunch of Superbowls, so obviously a lot of talent. Who besides Mahomes and Kelce have real value in their NIL?   Not even most NFL QBs are big endorsement guys. The vast majority of NFL players make their salary and that?s it, or 95% of it. College should be the same, most players just getting scholarships and the other standard perks and the superstars/big personality guys cutting some deals.

There's some merit in your argument.
    However, in citing the Kelce brothers & Mahomes, you're focusing on the national endorsements. Some of the lesser known Chiefs make more than chump change with local endorsements. This is true with the other major leagues.

Presumably that's gonna happen in the D-1 level too.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline banker

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2024, 09:05:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There's some merit in your argument.
    However, in citing the Kelce brothers & Mahomes, you're focusing on the national endorsements. Some of the lesser known Chiefs make more than chump change with local endorsements. This is true with the other major leagues.

Presumably that's gonna happen in the D-1 level too.

Yeah, but their agents have to get out and hustle them some deals. These college kids just expect it to be handed to them for nothing. If they want NIL they should hire a business manager that will work for a percentage of the deals they put together.  A lot of these kids will find out nobody is willing to pay for there NIL.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline elginherd

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2024, 09:24:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, but their agents have to get out and hustle them some deals. These college kids just expect it to be handed to them for nothing. If they want NIL they should hire a business manager that will work for a percentage of the deals they put together.  A lot of these kids will find out nobody is willing to pay for there NIL.

Yeah, probably the case regarding the agents hustling.

However, the major programs will find money for the 'unknowns', because the unknowns add depth...more important along the LOS for FB than in BB, for sure. UGA is paying big bucks for OL & DL.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2024, 10:56:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • NIL is a scam.

The following users thanked this post: MUfan08, mr_ash_1995, svherd, Buffalo Bop, chris88, miltonherdfan

Offline chris88

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2024, 10:04:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, but their agents have to get out and hustle them some deals. These college kids just expect it to be handed to them for nothing. If they want NIL they should hire a business manager that will work for a percentage of the deals they put together.  A lot of these kids will find out nobody is willing to pay for there NIL.

If they really wanted to share the wealth being made by a few of the biggest programs than they should do just that including the tv money.

For the G5, make the NCAA tourney, share some of money after costs with the players on the team.  Marshall FB doesn't make money on bowl trips after expenses as far as I know but if it made the playoff system then there would be money to share. Allow them to have jobs and work their own NIL angle. Most wouldn't make a nickel off their NIL. In fact, i'd say we have maybe 5-10 athletes over last 25-30 years at MU with enough talent and personality to make money off their NIL.  Media should just call it what it is which is a bribe. As stated, without the MU uniform hardly anybody would even know who they were. Most casual fans couldn't name 10 athletes at the school, if that.... and we have a pretty strong fanbase.

And it hasn't shown it helps you win at all except maybe in basketball but even then it's too early to draw conclusions. For example, Wichita State, George Mason, VCU, Butler x2, UIC, FAU made deep runs in NCAA tourney without help of NIL. Name any school whose program has had unexpected success since NIL?  And do you think NIL will help you keep a coach?  Didn't work for FAU, VCU etc. Same programs still dominating the same sports. Your best bet as an institution is still to hire a great coach. If you have a great coach and win, your chances are much better in retaining your best players.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

The following users thanked this post: Always THE HERD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2024, 10:04:35 AM »

Online wesnky

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2024, 01:44:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/miami-university/2024/04/24/rutgers-transfer-antwone-woolfolk-commits-to-miami-university-redhawks/73435146007/

This article from today 4-24 on Miami makes no mention of Conner.  Miami signed two transfers, one from Xavier and one from Rutgers.

The following users thanked this post: chris88

Offline horsrman

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2024, 10:25:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Seems JC is going to Dayton.

Offline herdfan48

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2024, 10:54:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0