Author Topic: Chuck Landon: MU O-line struggling vs. the blitz  (Read 1143 times)

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
  • Franchise Owner
  • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
Chuck Landon: MU O-line struggling vs. the blitz
« on: August 15, 2017, 04:42:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Obviously, blitzing is an integral part of defensive coordinator Chuck Heater's philosophy. He believes in the blitz. And, of course, the more Heater's defense practices blitzing, the more proficient it will become.

I understand all that.

But I also see Marshall's offensive line struggling mightily. If it doesn't improve, the Herd could be in trouble. And how is the offensive line going to improve and gain confidence when it's getting beaten by the blitz again and again?

It's not.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall_sports/chuck-landon-mu-o-line-struggling-vs-the-blitz/article_5aae53c7-c84d-50d2-8628-ec7b3cac4ed9.html

HerdFans.com

Chuck Landon: MU O-line struggling vs. the blitz
    « on: August 15, 2017, 04:42:09 AM »

Offline Big City

Re: Chuck Landon: MU O-line struggling vs. the blitz
    « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:10:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I still do not understand why nothing was done to address the offensive line issues. Same coach, same personnel, no new recruits or transfers. I doubt at this point something magical is going to happen.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: MUinDE, herdfifteen

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 07:16:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • So how does the Oline get better if they are not challenged?  Turn down the heat so that when they get in a real game they aren't ready?  Landon continues to amaze.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

The following users thanked this post: wasbarryb

Offline Big City

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 08:03:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    But at some point doesn't someone need to step up and consider what is best for the entire team as a whole?

I believe so.

Dialing back the blitzing at least a little isn't a bad idea.

I think this was Mr. Landon's point. I'm not there so I don't know. 18-19 days to get something figured out. Not one of us on this board want Marshall to lose.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, svherd

Online whf

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I read a lot more into the Oline problem than maybe I should. Blitzing isn't the thing I worry about with the line. Poor protection and lack of offensive efficiency against a team that blitzs a lot can be as much a problem with running backs as it is the line. At the scrimmage Saturday, the backs were just horrible at picking up blitzers; but guys, I'be got to say there are some massive athletes that are doing that blitzing right now for the Herd.

My concern for the Oline is that I saw no discernable difference in their effectiveness in run blocking.  If you can run block, teams can't blitz that much on you.  Run blitzs are very dangerous, once the RB is gone, there is a 15 to 20 yard gain right in front of them.  So if you're ever going to slow down a blitizing team you do it with beating the crap our of their interior Dline, and running sets that take their LBs out of the play (again, RBs have to be good for Olines to be good).

I believe here are kids on our team who are going to be very good, and they may end up displacing the current veterans before the season starts if Devers and Dowery don't pick it up soon.  But it won't be because they can't stop blitzers, it will be because they can't run block well enough to give the Offense the versitility it needs to be successful.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:11:39 AM by whf »

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 09:20:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Have to believe by the start of the season the OL will be better than this.  Also, possible that our defense is just really good at blitzing now.  In case the OL does have some problems with the blitz Legg should be ready with plays or QB reads that could burn a defense that blitzs too much.

Offline bighat

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 09:47:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is my opinion that our defense is just that much better this year.

Online herd2win

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 10:15:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Defense could not be worse than LY....defense is umproved but is not the 85 Bears.  This to me is alarming because I thought Mirabel should have been let go based on how bad our Iline has been.

Offline Thunders

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 10:26:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • If we faulted 1st game it will set the tone for the season. These guys aren't used to winning.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Football lore has it that if a team's defense isn't well ahead of the offense at this point in the season, then they have big problems.

In the past there would typically be a scrimmage with the D's hands tied so that the O could have a big day and excite the fan base. Outside of some early practices, now with practice going private soon I guess they didn't feature that kind of thing this year.

Still have faith in Mirabal, he is extremely knowledgeable and respected by players. Not worried, and still sticking with 10-4 to 12-2.

p2m
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

HerdFans.com

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 10:06:50 PM »