Author Topic: announcers are building a great case  (Read 5699 times)

Offline iherdya

Re: announcers are building a great case
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2014, 11:51:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Brett McMurphy, ESPN tweets: Tough loss tonight for UConn & Marshall

i wouldn't say it was a loss for us. it wasn't a huge win, but i think it was a little win. ecu is exposed just a bit more...

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2014, 11:51:56 AM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2014, 11:59:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The first statement disagrees with the second and third statement, SA. I think you eventually got it right, though.

In fact, even this first ranking will only partially inform what we want to know--there's a month left in the season, and how volatile the rankings will be (ie, how much any given loss or near-loss affects how the Chosen 12 think) won't be somewhat understood until that second poll a week from Tuesday.

Posts like this..... the initial poll will tell us where we are next tuesday based on what has happened so far. The ongoing polls will expand on that. Its clear that ECUs sos in the later weeks wont do them any favors, and our cusa championship game also wont. Especially if its a 9-3 la tech

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2014, 12:02:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i wouldn't say it was a loss for us. it wasn't a huge win, but i think it was a little win. ecu is exposed just a bit more...

Agree. A national audience watched them nearly lose to one of the worst teams in the country. This following a similar game last week with USF.
    "The Herd #1"

Offline HerdBlizz

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I was taught to be weary of people that use "lets be honest" and "to tell the truth" way too many times....Just saying...

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2014, 12:32:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ... in that same vein, but somewhat as an aside... my 23 year-old way too often can be heard starting his sentences, "I'm not gonna lie..."

Not good. Hopefully he can eliminate that habit before he interviews for his first "real" job after school.

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #55 on: October 24, 2014, 01:01:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Which of you are watching those Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday night games that you don't want to play?

Heck, I admit it, I turn the tube on every day to check if /who might be playing on any channel I can find.  And I bet many of you bitching about those games (not wanting MU to be on / play then) are watching them too.

I turn the games on because there is nothing else of interest most nights for me to watch.  It is usually background filler.  I love college football and will watch them.   I absolutely don't want Marshall playing on Tuesday night or Wednesday nights.  We have a good season ticket base and in my opinion would drop should we move more than one home game to a weeknight.  We have too many fans from out of town that come back to games.  Having an occassional Thursday night game is fine but having more than one home game not on a Saturday is not acceptable.

Our TV coverage is fine with way it is.  When weren't on...we weren't winning.  This year every single game can be viewed on TV or online.  I don't want to go back to playing on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.  I would give up my tickets as there are too many work and family things during the week to attend.

Offline herdadreh

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sagarin: VT and UNC are #35 and #58. South Carolina (Loss) is #33.

So are VT and UNC that horrible?

Meanwhile, our best wins are against...Sagarin: Middle Tennessee #95, and Akron #97.

Go Herd

Offline Olen

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2014, 01:30:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We can debate whether the Chosen 12 have the integrity to follow their mandate, but as you mention, the mandate does say directly and without question that they are to not allow any poll that begins pre-season... which, of course, points most clearly to the coaches' and sportswriters' polls... to influence their deliberation.

As importantly... it's the second part of this that I'd like to address.

While it is true that at least some of the computer ratings like Sagarin take the previous season's ratings and plug them into their formulas, I believe it also is true from the ones I've read about that those normally diminish over the course of the first 4-6 weeks until they are eliminated completely from having any effect.

Essentially, this sounds a lot like a jury trial applied to college football, but with people of some high regard... not just any Joe Schmos off the street... filling those jury seats.

They have instructions from the court as to how they're to execute their duties, and have evidence... videos and statistical data... to analyze. They're then expected to deliberate with each other and, given a process clearly established by the court, come back to the courtroom with a verdict of who is ranked where.

For those that use previous season(s) in their rating algorithms, even when the "dimensioning" returns stop echoing, the imprint is still there because it influenced the starting point, which forms at least some of the basis for where each team currently rates.  It is unavoidable, as far as I can tell, unless the service forgoes such data.

While the committee may function something akin to a deliberating jury, bear in mind that the committee (like a jury) cannot un-see and un-hear and disassociate any feelings or thoughts from the seen and heard despite any successful "objection" lodged in opposition. 

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2014, 01:44:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ask the guy who brainstormed to make this board 9 yrs ago what he thinks of Marshall playing 4 straight Tuesdays. Ask Biggreenarms what he thinks. Ask any of the loyal fans that give dollars but have to drive several hundred miles to attend. Gotta think of someone besides yourself every now and then. It doesn't matter about watching weekday FB when its not your team. The point is your fans that don't live in the tri-state cant make it. That's costs Marshall dollars and penalizes some of the most loyal fans. Whats hard to understand about that? And like I said before the MAC took a pitiful 80,000 per team to get to do it. If ESPN is really all that then they should pony up the dollars. I like CBS and Fox just fine.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2014, 02:15:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For those that use previous season(s) in their rating algorithms, even when the "dimensioning" returns stop echoing, the imprint is still there because it influenced the starting point, which forms at least some of the basis for where each team currently rates.  It is unavoidable, as far as I can tell, unless the service forgoes such data.

That is a legit open question. I'm maybe too quick to assume that they're conscious of that, and that previous ranking in the season is not one of the variables... rather, that the same variables that added up to ranking for week 8 are the same variables that add up to a somewhat different ranking for week 9. Sagarin being an MIT grad, I suppose, makes me inclined to think the best, but then, there certainly is no shortage of others whose education may or may not lend similar confidence.

While the committee may function something akin to a deliberating jury, bear in mind that the committee (like a jury) cannot un-see and un-hear and disassociate any feelings or thoughts from the seen and heard despite any successful "objection" lodged in opposition.  

Right. We agree. But then again, it's one thing to "hear" evidence that says there is a 1:1 billion chance that the DNA is wrong and make a decision about that, and be mandated for whatever reason by the court to disregard that... and at least somewhat another to "hear" evidence of what coaches and sportswriters think, and disregard that... the latter seems more like the legal equivalent of hear-say... would you agree?... and I am inclined to assume it's not that difficult for intelligent people to set that aside.
    « Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:17:18 PM by _sturt_ »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #60 on: October 24, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Brett McMurphy, ESPN tweets: Tough loss tonight for UConn & Marshall

What is he talking about with regard to us?

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2014, 03:10:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What is he talking about with regard to us?

He means that a loss for ECU would have been a win for us in the race for the Access bowl slot.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2014, 03:10:22 PM »

Offline Olen

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2014, 03:12:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Right. We agree. But then again, it's one thing to "hear" evidence that says there is a 1:1 billion chance that the DNA is wrong and make a decision about that, and be mandated for whatever reason by the court to disregard that... and at least somewhat another to "hear" evidence of what coaches and sportswriters think, and disregard that... the latter seems more like the legal equivalent of hear-say... would you agree?... and I am inclined to assume it's not that difficult for intelligent people to set that aside.

Bears some resemblance to hearsay; however, if the hearsay is connected to non-hearsay "evidence", human nature being what it is makes it difficult to completely cast the hearsay information aside.  

Offline dshoe

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2014, 05:42:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ask the guy who brainstormed to make this board 9 yrs ago what he thinks of Marshall playing 4 straight Tuesdays. Ask Biggreenarms what he thinks. Ask any of the loyal fans that give dollars but have to drive several hundred miles to attend. Gotta think of someone besides yourself every now and then. It doesn't matter about watching weekday FB when its not your team. The point is your fans that don't live in the tri-state cant make it. That's costs Marshall dollars and penalizes some of the most loyal fans. Whats hard to understand about that? And like I said before the MAC took a pitiful 80,000 per team to get to do it. If ESPN is really all that then they should pony up the dollars. I like CBS and Fox just fine.

Just so you guys know, the MAC asker for that slot, they were not forced into it, it was their idea as a league for more exposure, outside of a very rare SunBelt game no one is asked to play their.... Wednesday nights are also rare, those of you that use this to bolster your arguements should drop it going forward it holds no water

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2014, 10:05:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • and I guess Akron asked for 4 straight Tuesdays and 80 grand a yr TV money too

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #65 on: October 24, 2014, 10:20:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'll be the first to admit I am only one guy, but I have made every home game this season.  Living 200 miles away, I can't do that on week days.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2014, 10:20:01 PM »