Author Topic: Darius Marshall no where to be found...  (Read 5671 times)

Offline HERDFAN1999

Re: Darius Marshall no where to be found...
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 04:34:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Too bad for Darius.  I thank him for the times when I screamed my head off watching him run.  I hope things work out for him and he does well.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 04:34:40 PM »

Offline goherdies

• Varsity
    « Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 05:49:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall was a good running back.  He made a mistake.  I hope he gets on with team and takes off.  Why do we actively root against these kids whenever they make decisions like this continues to escape me.

It serves no purpose other than to espouse negativity.  As a fanbase, I think we should be better than that.

He had asked the coaches to submit his paperwork (they said they would) and see where he would go and they didn't do it.  Don't know if they forgot or just didn't do it.  Either way that really hurt him.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 06:00:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Which coaches?  Snyder was fired immediately after UTEP and then the coaches had a bowl to prepare for, then shortly after they all were left go.  Then we go on a head coach search for a couple weeks.  When during that mess could they file his papers?

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 06:08:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Johnny, you've heard the oft-used phrase, "Bush's fault?"

Same principle holds here.

Offline goherdies

• Varsity
    « Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 06:13:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Which coaches?  Snyder was fired immediately after UTEP and then the coaches had a bowl to prepare for, then shortly after they all were left go.  Then we go on a head coach search for a couple weeks.  When during that mess could they file his papers?

Doc.  The deadline to file paperwork for NFL evaluation was mid January.  Doc was hired mid December.
    « Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:17:02 PM by goherdies »

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 06:16:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You are correct Im being to harsh.  I just feel like he really snubbed Doc...and I have a feeling that Snyder had a play in it...directly, indirectly, intentionally, or unintentionally.

I just dont get it though....I mean...really?  Go pro?  Give up your shot at college....now he cant even be a freakin GA.  What was he basing his draft value on?????

He cant try to do any coaching because it would be setting a bad example bc he never graduated.

Ugh....its very sad.

So, you act (again) like an arse, get called on it, minimize it by using the term "harsh" when it was clearly much nastier than that, and then find a way to weasel Snyder into the picture of blame.

Yes, fp, "it" is sad, but "it" had more to do with your own immaturity than Darius Marshall's situation.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 06:19:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Really, I feel bad for him, but I don't blame the coaches.  

He knew he was taking a chance, especially after a recent arrest and being hurt for the last part of the season and bowl.  He had no momemtum going to the combine, then he had a poor combine.  

I watched him during the combine and he was nervous, I felt horrible for him.  He had to do the broad jump 5 times and still didn't land correctly.  They finally just told him to sit down and watch the other guys for a minute, then get back in line.

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He had asked the coaches to submit his paperwork (they said they would) and see where he would go and they didn't do it.  Don't know if they forgot or just didn't do it.  Either way that really hurt him.

What really hurt him was the fact that he had a checkered past and went to the combine and performed pitifully.  NOBODY, Doc, Snyder, someone on Herdfans.com, etc. is to blame for Darius' situation other than Darius Marshall....NOBODY.

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline goherdies

• Varsity
    « Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Daruis obviously made some bad decisions but the coaches didn't do him any favors.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2010, 07:22:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Okay, help me out here... why are college coaches responsible for paperwork that is between the player and the NFL? What do they have to do with it at all? It's not like he needs "their permission." Pardon my skepticism, but I'm having a hard time imagining what part of any form or paperwork has to be completed or even signed by the college staff, other than, at best, some form that acknowledges that they're aware he's giving it consideration. Happy to apologize if I've got it all wrong, but I need evidence.

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Okay, help me out here... why are college coaches responsible for paperwork that is between the player and the NFL? What do they have to do with it at all? It's not like he needs "their permission." Pardon my skepticism, but I'm having a hard time imagining what part of any form or paperwork has to be completed or even signed by the college staff, other than, at best, some form that acknowledges that they're aware he's giving it consideration. Happy to apologize if I've got it all wrong, but I need evidence.

I'm with you.  I wouldn't doubt that there as a layer of bureaucracy that makes this a requirement, but I see no reason why.  I'm definitely not an insider, but I did hear that after being hired, Doc reached out to Darius when it was discussed that he was considering leaving.  I heard that on two separate occasions that there were meetings set up and Darius was a no-show.  The bottom-line is the responsibility lies with the player...a man big enough to make this decision has to have enough initiative to follow up and make sure it's taken care of.  Not Snyder's fault, not Doc's fault...

"When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows. And if you do that, if you do that, we cannot lose."

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2010, 07:38:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When you leave early to go to NFL, you take on a responsibility. It is up to you to follow up on every possible lead that might help you get what you want. If in the event it does not work out for you (leaving early), you can only blame yourself.

College was there for you and it included a free education so if your dreams don't work out, you have something to fall back on. I think it is sad to throw away something that millions would give anything to get the chance to achieve.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2010, 07:38:58 PM »

Offline goherdies

• Varsity
    « Reply #37 on: April 25, 2010, 09:45:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would only say that if you tell someone you are going to do something you should do it.  Especially if you are in a position of authority over a young man, such as his coach.

The coaches don't HAVE to do it.  But if yopu tell a kid you will submit the paperwork for him then you need to follow through.  If you don't intend to do it then don't tell him you will.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 09:51:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would only say that if you tell someone you are going to do something you should do it.  Especially if you are in a position of authority over a young man, such as his coach.

The coaches don't HAVE to do it.  But if yopu tell a kid you will submit the paperwork for him then you need to follow through.  If you don't intend to do it then don't tell him you will.

Again... what paperwork?

Offline goherdies

• Varsity
    « Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 10:04:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You can submit paperwork to the NFL prior ro the draft requesting the NFL to give you an idea of where you may be drafted.... that paperwork. 

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 11:22:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You can submit paperwork to the NFL prior ro the draft requesting the NFL to give you an idea of where you may be drafted.... that paperwork. 

Re-again (meaning, I already asked once)... what paperwork that would necessitate college coaches' completion of it?

Are you next going to suggest that once he gave it to someone else to do for him, it relieved him of the responsibility (... assuming that your insight is, in fact, insight into the situation and not just presumption)?

That's not how the world works. If it's my butt on the line, you better believe I'm going to be checking with that person repeatedly until it gets done... and why(?)... because it's my butt on the line.

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 11:30:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall was a gamer...He never really showed what he had in practice (read: combine) but when the ball was snapped, he got it done.  His talent was unmistakable.  

If anyone followed comments on Facebook last season, you saw a baby mama in Florida responding to any comment about Darius with her own CAPITALIZED reply to the effect of DARUIS BETTER BE REMEMBERING ME AND HIS BABY CHRISTIAN WHEN HE GETS TO THE NFL.  HE PROMISED US!!!  I am sure there was some amount of pressure there.
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:45:20 AM by IM4DHERD »
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline BipolarFan

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 08:00:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He'll probably have to go to Canada.

Offline guru shudu moonday

• All American
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 08:09:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • why would you need a coach to file papers with the nfl to find out where you might go when there are countless online resources for mock drafts, and draft day predictions?
    If your so damn smart, why ain't you rich?

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 08:22:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Can't see how this bad decision by DM can be blamed on the coaches supposively not turning in his paperwork.  These guy were probably very busy dealing with getting their own stuff done.  Any follow up work at all by DM could have resolved this issue in time for him to take care of his own business.

It was just a bad decision he will now have to live with and work through.  People here could see it probably wasn't going to be a good decision to skip his final year.  Most thought he would greatly improve his chances in the next draft by having a good Sr year and finishing his education.

It's not over yet, so hopefully there will be a silver lining in this for him.

Offline goherdies

• Varsity
    « Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 10:17:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am not blaming this all on the coaches nor am I saying DM couldn't fill it out by himself.  BUT they told him they would do it so they should have.  That is my bottom line.

As for why that information is more valuable than online draft predictions I would think it is obvious.  It is because the information actually comes from the NFL and they talk to the various teams to see what sort of interest there is for specific players.  But they only do so if the paperwork is filed by the deadline.

That's all, I'm done...

Offline wvmafia

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 10:42:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • why would you need a coach to file papers with the nfl to find out where you might go when there are countless online resources for mock drafts, and draft day predictions?

I agree...not only that, but pre-combine DM was rated as high as the 16th RB by a reputable source.  He hurt himself with his combine numbers.  One of the ratings I saw after the combine had him at 34th.

I can't see how any responsibility in this falls anywhere but squarely on DM's shoulders.  I wish him the best.  I hope he gets whatever he and his agent feels like will offer him the best future opportunities...if that means arena or Canada, so be it.  I have zero ill will toward him at all...

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 10:42:33 AM »

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2010, 02:10:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • From a source who PM'd me and who will remain anonymous, but who I have some level of confidence is telling it like it is:

It is my understanding that the Draft Advisory Committee papers must be submitted by the university on behalf of the athlete.

It is also my understanding that Darius Marshall submitted his papers to Marshall, that [one of the coaches] said he would send in the papers, and that Darius never received his grade from the Advisory Committee.

I don't want to get into a pissing match with others on the board, but this is what happened.

Thank you, Anonymous, for the clarification.

I have to agree with guru, still, though... it's just not that hard to find projections on where one should be drafted... how accurate any of them are is its own question, of course, and it remains a possibility that Darius read some things that led him to a more positive conclusion.

Again, though, as said in the other thread... I just think this is an unnecessary situation to begin with... expand the NFL draft if you have to, but don't take away a player's eligibility until he actually gets drafted and signs a contract.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2010, 02:10:42 PM »