Author Topic: A quick thought about Marshall's future...  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Head Coach
  • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
A quick thought about Marshall's future...
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:23:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• At what point is not letting Snyder go going to kill our recruiting and really put a damper on us 2-4 years down the road. 

1.  It is all over the media that Snyder will be fired and any kid with a half a brain isn't going to sign with Marshall not knowing who the coach will be and what his role in the program will be.

2. We are going to "peak" next year in talent with guys like Darius, Anderson and other key players being seniors then the following year our team will have an entire new identity

3. We are missing out on recruiting now and we are being out recruited by most of the conference. 

4.  If we get a new guy in soon, he can start recruiting and have a chance to be competitive recruiting wise in our league this year.

5.  If we wait, the new head coach will have "leftovers" for recruits and in 2 years we will really struggle and everyone will blame the head coach or the AD for his choice as head coach

6.  So dragging our feet may be setting us up for a repeat failure in 2 years.

7.  We should try to lock in the best coach available before the big money programs let their coaches go and beat us to the punch and steal the best candidates.

What do you think?

HerdFans.com

A quick thought about Marshall's future...
    « on: November 15, 2009, 10:23:57 PM »

Offline Huffnagel

Re: A quick thought about Marshall's future...
    « Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 10:26:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree, if the decision has been made then pull the plug now. This gives Marshall a head start on hiring a new coach and allows him to start recruiting.

It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:40:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We are tied with UAB in number of commits so far for next year with a whopping 6, we just got our sixth today.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 10:45:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Really, I haven't seen the list.  Are they all tight ends and defensive ends?   That seems to be Snyder's favorite position to recruit regardless of our needs.

Offline CharlestonHerdGuy

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 11:41:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree, if the decision has been made then pull the plug now. This gives Marshall a head start on hiring a new coach and allows him to start recruiting.

I was wondering about this too.  How much influence would a new coach have in the first years recruiting class?  Isn't the final signing day sometime in February?  If so, a new coach wouldn't have much time to recruit the first year.  I don't know a lot about these things, but it seems like Memphis did the smart thing.

Offline CJHerdgrad

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The other side of the coin is where is the new guy coming from?  If he's on current staff, I would hope it's with a successful program, so he's either preparing for a bowl game or preparing for the I-AA or Div II playoffs.  Ergo, he can't recruit here until January more than likely.

I think the word is out on MU's program and talent across the country's coaching circles.  MU will have really good talent coming back next year, so there will be a LOT of guys putting in for this job.  It's not the usual situation that a new coach steps into, so interest will be high.

Now, if he's a guy that is currently out of job, then yeah, he can recruit earlier.  But, why is this guy out of a job?  We can't afford the Tubervilles or Fulmers...no way they go to a mid-major anyway.

I'm confident in Hamrick's ability to get a coach.  He knows a lot of people and he'll find us a good fit.  On that subject, Hamrick might want to reunite with this guy:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Logan_(American_football)

Offline catfanatic1979

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 08:32:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope they pull a memphis.  ;D

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:51:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Really, I haven't seen the list.  Are they all tight ends and defensive ends?   That seems to be Snyder's favorite position to recruit regardless of our needs.

We got another one so that puts us at 7 4 of the 7 are DE or TE.  2 are 3 star recruits.  People say not to worry about it we always get our recruits well Houston has a full class of 25 already verballed even Rice has 10 committed.

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 10:00:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am all for Snyder being let go, but I think the right thing to do is wait until the end of the season.  I just think that is the proper protocol to be followed by MU.  I think it is the right thing to do to keep the kids especiallythe seniors focused on the end of the season.  Regardless of what you think of Snyder he deserves to be at least treated like a human being and he did give five years of his life to a job that just didn't work out for him.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline goherd17

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • West was let go and is coaching the remaining games.  We should do the same NOW and get someone named asap.  Dont rush but if you know who you want go get them and put them in touch with all of our verbals and targets.

Offline BULLHALSEY

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 02:28:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm seriously concerned that if Coach Snyder is retained, our football program is dead.  We will be lower than a UAB.  I'm not being funny or trying to be a "Snyder basher".  I foresee 7-10K attendance.  I see NO money coming in.  I see NO national TV spots.  I see NO advances in recruiting.  This program is dying, folks.  There is very limited interest now, and if he comes back, its over.  Sorry.  I hope something gets done soon.
    "Fill it up!!  Fill it up again!!  Once it hits your lips, it's so good!!"-Frank the Tank, Old School

Offline firstate

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 03:22:35 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • will have adequate talent next year for a new coach to suceed.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 03:22:35 PM »