Author Topic: Baseball Stadium  (Read 1348 times)

Offline herdfan129

Re: Baseball Stadium
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just drop baseball and add Men’s Track. Problem solved.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2020, 10:38:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just drop baseball and add Men’s Track. Problem solved.

Except then some are going to advocate for a separate purpose built track facility and/or training facility.  It just never seems to end.

Online svherd

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2020, 11:21:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you really want to save money, drop womens basketball. That will never happen though

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2020, 11:31:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you really want to save money, drop womens basketball. That will never happen though

As long as there is Title IX, you'll have a very difficult time cutting women's sports.  Don't have to like it, but there's no way around it.

The following users thanked this post: Stripeshrt, svherd

Online bighat

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2020, 12:42:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Have a little vision.  I can see us playing baseball in Charleston but I want our own stadium.  I want to have vision and dreams of being in one of the Power conferences.  I want Marshall to be in position to do what ever they want to do.  It will not happen in my life time but that is why it is called vision.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2020, 01:18:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Add triathlon

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2020, 01:53:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My opinion on the baseball situation have remained unchanged.  Spending $18-20 million on a facility is as unwise in 2019 as it is in 2021. 

We now have the land in control.  Put down a nice top D-1 playing surface, put in a quality clubhouse facility with a functional pressbox and premium seating for a few hundred (similar to our softball facility)... and that's it.  Spend $4 million, have a serviceable on campus facility like the Dot or the Vet, and call it a day.  Independent wooden bat leagues are not economic engines.  There are not enough travel ball quality facilities in Huntington around to utilize for large youth events.  We just need a nice little on-campus ball field to start and go from there.

---------------

I am absolutely not a fan of the Appalachian Park option for baseball unless - the University makes an absolute commitment to have a noticeable presence in Charleston.  Open up a facility a block adjacent to the ballpark, find and build a partnership with Charleston Area Medical Center like we did with Cabell Huntington Hospital, engage the Clay Center with programming... try to 'own' exit 100(?) off I-64 there in Charleston.  If you want to build a significant presence in Charleston, then go all in.  Else, there's zero reason to ship baseball off-campus.

Someone asked my opinion years ago and my answer was basically the same money-saving idea, but using what is now the Soccer Field. But in retrospect I doubt there was sufficient room to implement that there without extreme creativity or sacrifice. An old acquaintance who had stopped to watch a game there ended up having to protect his Corvette from a HR ball with his bare hands, for example. In retrospect it all worked out for Soccer.
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Online elginherd

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2020, 05:53:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Add triathlon

Hopefully you're kidding. This is not a NCAA sanctioned sport.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2020, 07:24:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hopefully you're kidding. This is not a NCAA sanctioned sport.

Can be used for women's head count for Title 9 purposes. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2020, 07:24:01 PM »