Author Topic: Ask an Opposing Beat Writer: Marshall at Virginia Tech  (Read 1523 times)

Online Flat Tire 2

The following users thanked this post: whf

HerdFans.com

Ask an Opposing Beat Writer: Marshall at Virginia Tech
« on: November 28, 2018, 01:10:33 PM »

Online svherd

Re: Ask an Opposing Beat Writer: Marshall at Virginia Tech
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 01:52:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Be interesting to see how Green handles the pressure. Surely Cramsey will plan for it and develop a game plan accordingly. We'll see if IG can step up and execute. The OL is gonna have to help him out as well. jmho.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He will either throw a screen or launch a deep ball to Brady or Obilike he has done every other game he’s played in all year

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead

Offline Big City

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 02:06:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FIU was able to get good pressure at times last week. Green seemed (to me) pretty effective at rolling out and making some throws. Another thing I noticed is the read option was there several times if he just pulled the ball and ran it but to my recollection he didn't. Maybe once?
    I have also noticed at times misdirection has really helped the marshall offense.

Special teams and defense MUST contribute with points.

These are just my observations as a fan but what do I know...
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall makes too big a deal out of playing P5 teams.  It’s like we have to convince the team not to be scared and it’s your Super Bowl.  Too much pressure and wasted energy.  Play to win the game.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, parshall2marshall, whf, Johns1124, ed swain, MrRobertPruett

Offline saherdfan

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 02:54:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They should make him run on the qb reads until someone accounts for him.  I don't care if he makes 2 yrds.  A&M QB they had a Reed Option where the QB kept the ball and he either ran it or hit the TE down the seem on a quick hitter. the back picked up the "D" End so the "O" TEnd could Run his rout.   They ran it like 5 times.  The LB's had to hold there positions.  Another really good one that Legg did was line Ryan up in the slot, run the read option with the back going to the side Ryan was lined up at and then sending Ryan across behind the line as the snap of the ball and hitting him out of the backfield.  We did that in the bowl last year a lot.  These two play and our qb running the ball a hand full of times should keep them guessing and make time for some downfield passing.  My complaint with the new OC is that he stays too bunched up.  He needs to spread it out more.  Also just line up and let Anderson run.  I seriously think we can get first downs by playing power football.  If we could do that everything would loosen up on the outside.

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 04:09:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A certain WR of ours better learn to hold on to the football !!
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Offline goherd24

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 07:47:57 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't expect much, but to me, this is our bowl game and our best chance at beating Virginia tech in recent history.

Online herd2win

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 07:50:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looking forward to going to the game...Va Tech has a lot to play for so the difference between this game and others we played against them is that they will be more focused and not looking at all to the next game...

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 08:17:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 09:09:03 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Looking forward to going to the game...Va Tech has a lot to play for so the difference between this game and others we played against them is that they will be more focused and not looking at all to the next game...

A lot of teams lose this way.  Play too tight.  When Herd played Ohio State and Georgia back to back weeks playing very physical and tough, had  no time to worry about the opponent being very good and at home.   

The following users thanked this post: The E-Man

Offline Herd-nficent

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My fear is that Hokies play at another level, it's big boy football.  There record isn't very good but their league is better.  Plus they have more on the line and it's a home game.  Just sayin'  WE BETTER LOOK OUT !!!
    "What we see depends on what we look for"

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall, REL70

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »

Offline Big City

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 10:04:40 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My fear is that Hokies play at another level, it's big boy football.  There record isn't very good but their league is better.  Plus they have more on the line and it's a home game.  Just sayin'  WE BETTER LOOK OUT !!!

Good. Would rather have a team focused and ramped up. If MU beats a team don’t want people looking back saying “yeah but...”
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline 01101101

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 10:24:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Hate this mentality.  We are Marshall.  Our expectation should be we play big boy football.

The following users thanked this post: Big City

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 11:32:04 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]1
  • I wonder if Grant could be a bigger d0uche bag? Gosh he is such a tool. Anyone would be better than him.
    The right way is always the right way- Coach Huff

2020 National Soccer Champs!

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Doc will play to not get anyone hurt. If he played to win and Brady went down this board and the other one would go off on him for playing the starters in a meaningless game

The following users thanked this post: Buffalo Bop

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 01:33:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Doc will play to not get anyone hurt. If he played to win and Brady went down this board and the other one would go off on him for playing the starters in a meaningless game

This game is very far from meaningless. This game is very important for salvaging the season, building momentum going in to next season, and so much more.

Offline HuntersvilleHerd

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 01:40:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't expect much, but to me, this is our bowl game and our best chance at beating Virginia tech in recent history.

Our best chance at beating Va Tech in recent history?? You mean, except for the last time we played them and lead most of the game and lost in 3 OT?

The following users thanked this post: HerdEcon, herdfan129

Online HerdEcon

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 02:41:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall makes too big a deal out of playing P5 teams.  It’s like we have to convince the team not to be scared and it’s your Super Bowl.  Too much pressure and wasted energy.  Play to win the game.

Hype a game and you are making to big a deal out of it.  Don't hype a game and get criticized for no hype and not creating excitement to bring fans out to the game.  No win situation.

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 07:00:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• This game is very far from meaningless. This game is very important for salvaging the season, building momentum going in to next season, and so much more.

No it absolutely is meaningless for us. We are already bowl eligible. We aren’t playing for any trophy or championship. What do we gain from this game except a pay check. The ability to say we stopped vts bowl streak?!?!  Whoopty freaking doo. No one will remember that in 3 years

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 07:08:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Whoopty freaking doo. No one will remember that in 3 years

They (Tech) might when we get the return game.

Offline herdfan129

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No it absolutely is meaningless for us. We are already bowl eligible. We aren’t playing for any trophy or championship. What do we gain from this game except a pay check. The ability to say we stopped vts bowl streak?!?!  Whoopty freaking doo. No one will remember that in 3 years

You are just dumb if you think this game is meaningless. No it will not effect our season in the sense of championship or which bowl we go to but this game will definitely mean something to those of us fans who are FED UP with never winning the conference. It will also mean something to recruits.

The following users thanked this post: parshall2marshall

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 08:02:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our best chance at beating Va Tech in recent history?? You mean, except for the last time we played them and lead most of the game and lost in 3 OT?

Ummm, we lost that game, so.... and we are up against a much worse Vtech team Saturday,  than that year. And Vtech was favored by 7.5 - 9 points, this game Vtech is favored by 4.

Yes. This is our best chance going into the game to beat them in about 68 years.
    « Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:08:14 PM by goherd24 »

Online MicDrass1

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 08:57:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No it absolutely is meaningless for us. We are already bowl eligible. We aren’t playing for any trophy or championship. What do we gain from this game except a pay check. The ability to say we stopped vts bowl streak?!?!  Whoopty freaking doo. No one will remember that in 3 years

I would not want you as my coach.  Not this mentality.  "Scared get a dog!"  Bob Pruett.  It's a regular season game.  The game is a normal game.  Marshall has become fearful of opponents since Pruett left.  Constant excuses in Marshall athletics.  VT should be had plain and simple.  They give up 5 yards or more a rush and 8 yards a pass.  If our D is legit and we actually have a team gameplan then we kick there ass.  Kinda of like the genius gameplan the Herd under Pruett used against Ohio State.  Throw laterally tire the defense out and then crush them up the middle.  Or the one he had against K-State.  Wrinkles!!  Real gameplans!!
    « Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 09:04:08 PM by MicDrass1 »

The following users thanked this post: herdfan129

Offline goherd24

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 10:11:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would not want you as my coach.  Not this mentality.  "Scared get a dog!"  Bob Pruett.  It's a regular season game.  The game is a normal game.  Marshall has become fearful of opponents since Pruett left.  Constant excuses in Marshall athletics.  VT should be had plain and simple.  They give up 5 yards or more a rush and 8 yards a pass.  If our D is legit and we actually have a team gameplan then we kick there ass.  Kinda of like the genius gameplan the Herd under Pruett used against Ohio State.  Throw laterally tire the defense out and then crush them up the middle.  Or the one he had against K-State.  Wrinkles!!  Real gameplans!!
    This would be like asking a fish to climb a tree. Doc is incapable of developing a good gameplan with less than 3-4 weeks to do so (ala bowk games).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: mr_ash_1995, herdfan129

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 10:11:03 PM »