Author Topic: Changes are coming for college bball  (Read 727 times)

Offline CoachSkip

It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
Bill Nye is an i d i o t
Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

The following users thanked this post: whf

HerdFans.com

Changes are coming for college bball
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:51:30 AM »

Offline wasbarryb

Re: Changes are coming for college bball
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 01:14:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IF these recommendations were to be implemented, I wonder how much would carry over into football. I would think the creation of NCAA regulated agents would almost have to carry over. If not you'd have the crazy situation of the rare two sport athlete in bball and football having an agent while no one else on the football team has one.

On balance I doubt much will come of the recommendations as they require the cooperation of too many independent outside organizations to cooperate. The shoe companies have little incentive to cooperate. The NBA also has little to gain by allowing itself to be forced to jump through NCAA hoops. (pun intended) ;D

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 07:02:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • nothing will come of this.  Look at the dude at Arizona.  He was caught on audio tape offering money to a recruit and nothing happened to him.  This change is all a bunch of bull. >:( 

TRS
    MU 71

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 09:52:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • nothing will come of this.  Look at the dude at Arizona.  He was caught on audio tape offering money to a recruit and nothing happened to him.  This change is all a bunch of bull. >:( 

TRS
    MU 71

The commission did its job. If you read all 60pages of their conclusion and recommendations, they spell it out pretty good.

High expensive penalties for coaches, asst. coaches AND includes school presidents, schools on five year no eligibility for NCAA tournament and more importantly NO $$$ from tournaments for five years.

They spell out very clearly whom should be held accountable and heavy price at ALL levels administrative, coaches, assistant coaches and administrators up to President. Also says the UNC case should have impacted athletics, not going to class and still getting good grades even if OK for all students not just athletes should still be NCAA power to penalize.

You should read all 60 pages. The biggest problem is to get NBA, NBAP (players union), to agree and get moving. August date for NCAA to present plan of action and ready to install.

Too many parties to get to agree, but committee spelled out the bad guys and recommend strong financial and physical penalties....

Hope they can make 90% of it work quickly....

Online coalherd

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 10:51:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bet your bottom dollar on this:  If Ollie the Schmuck Luck has any involvement at all in the implementation of this plan, it WON'T be good at all for the so called G5 or Mid-Major schools!!!

Offline GreenWhite

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The game needs to be cleaned up. What happened last year should tell everyone that. I have not read all 60 pages, just what was printed in the HD yesterday. I can tell you this, I agree with everything in there. The show cause rule needs to go. A dirty coach needs to be banned, just as the report said. As for the one and done, it should be eliminated. But, I think there needs to be a rule put in place that if you sign to play college basketball, then you need to stay at least two, if not three, years. One thing I did not see mentioned is if a kid out of high school would declare for the NBA under the scenario that they could now do that, hires and agent, and then does not get drafted, should he be able to get a scholarship to play basketball? What if he doesn't hire an agent? Just a thought that crossed my mind.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »