Author Topic: Terrence Thompson leaving Marshall men's hoops program  (Read 11032 times)

Offline herdorbust

Re: Terrence Thompson leaving Marshall men's hoops program
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2017, 03:49:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would be nice to have Bennett or another post player. But if we don't I think we will still be pretty good and really fun to watch. This team is totally different than last years team. And I mean totally different. Defense is light years better. Quickness is much much better. Our guards especially Burks Watson and west can really put pressure on the ball. Think DD teams have played fast last couple years, just wait.
    « Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:57:49 PM by herdorbust »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2017, 03:49:05 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2017, 05:01:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It would be nice to have Bennett or another post player. But if we don't I think we will still be pretty good and really fun to watch. This team is totally different than last years team. And I mean totally different. Defense is light years better. Quickness is much much better. Our guards especially Burks Watson and west can really put pressure on the ball. Think DD teams have played fast last couple years, just wait.

I think Herdalum83's concern is with our lost experience.  Especially now with loss of Thompson, which means we have lost the 2 top rebounders from last season, not an area where we were overly strong to begin with.

Its unreasonable to believe our guard pressure is going to force an exorbitant amount of turnovers EVERY game which will be the main factor on which the games will turn.  Without Bennett, we will have Milan and a much improved (hopefully) Penava in the middle, so to speak.  Juco forward should handle one other up front spot.  Backups or those vying for other front court spot, or back up rolls, would include little used Bledsoe and inexperienced redshirt, Williams.  This team is going into the preseason currently short on experience and front court depth, absent a late signee, or pulling someone's redshirt.

Right now, looks like we'll have more depth and overall quality in the backcourt but slightly less in same categories up front.  May serve us well in most games, but against foes with a lot of good bigs, like those twin tower types at UTEP, we may struggle, unless we rain a lot of treys at about a 50 per cent clip!! 

Going to be an interesting, and hopefully fun, season, Herd fans!!!

The following users thanked this post: Herdalum83

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I understand what you are saying. And i think we need another big to be really good. But people have to understand guys get a lot better from one year to the next especially under someone like Danny. Ryan Taylor wasn't what he was as a SR when he was a Freshman. Heck Peneva was nothing but "potential" at the beggining of last season. Skinny and had trouble even getting a rebound. Then he started having games of 14-18 pts and 7 rebs. Size is way over rated if you have a team that is smart quick and plays their positions well as a team. I don't know how many games this year team will win. But i do know that i am more excited about watching this team than any team DD has put on the floor yet. Watching Williams Koljanin and Pebeva continue to grow because of their potential and smarts. Also the guard play is going to be so exciting because we finally have guards tht can flat out defend. West is going to be good from day one. And i am really suprised how well Theineman is shooting the ball and playing. He may be the most improved player on the team. Not to mention the excitement i have for George and Bennett when they do get to play. Is it October yet?????

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2017, 07:28:56 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0

I hope you're correct, but I remember the "practice attendees" raving about our improved defense LAST off-season... guys were quicker, faster, and better rebounders.  We were going to benefit because James Kelly really wasn't that good on defense in 2015-16, and his replacement was going to be able to run, have long arms, and harass opponents.  Truth is, we were below average on defense. 

The talk last year was the vaunted press which, we were promised, Danny was going to install and play for 40 minutes/game.  Then, after the season started and the press wasn't unveiled, it was said Danny was saving it for conference play.  On and on.  Truth is, we never really saw much of a press all year.

This year, the off-season talk is how much everyone has improved.  But after one of the players who has improved so much decides to head to med school/transfer, we are advised it is not a problem. 

Not that I don't enjoy your enthusiasm and practice reports, because I do.  I'm just saying I'm gonna take a wait and see approach with the Herd after losing seniors Kelly, Taylor, Browning, and Loop (3 of the 4 WILL play professionally) and solid contributors like Thompson and Alex over a two-season period.   

The following users thanked this post: SouthernHerd, DC01HERD, svherd, Flat Tire 2

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2017, 08:35:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope you're correct, but I remember the "practice attendees" raving about our improved defense LAST off-season... guys were quicker, faster, and better rebounders.  We were going to benefit because James Kelly really wasn't that good on defense in 2015-16, and his replacement was going to be able to run, have long arms, and harass opponents.  Truth is, we were below average on defense. 

The talk last year was the vaunted press which, we were promised, Danny was going to install and play for 40 minutes/game.  Then, after the season started and the press wasn't unveiled, it was said Danny was saving it for conference play.  On and on.  Truth is, we never really saw much of a press all year.

This year, the off-season talk is how much everyone has improved.  But after one of the players who has improved so much decides to head to med school/transfer, we are advised it is not a problem. 

Well i respect your opinion. And i love the guys we lost from last year. But if you think Browning and Loop can play defense like Burks watson and West, or even close, then i'm lost for words. And do you realize we made the championship game last year? Some of you act like DD isn't making progress. This year is going to be fun fun fun. Like i said i am more excited about this year than any of DD's previous 3. How many they win? I don't know. But they are going to be exciting and a very easy team to be proud of and cheer for. Now if we don't have a monster year in 2018-2019 then i will be sorely dissappointed. But i couldn't be more excited about the future. And BTW DD told me out of his own mouth we will be pressing more and playing much quicker this year. There was reasons he couldn't do that last year and he told me why. But i will not get into that on a message board.
    « Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:37:09 PM by herdorbust »

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2017, 09:24:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm looking forward to the season as well but there are some valid questions that hopefully DD can answer.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2017, 09:58:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • With Taylor, Browning, Loop, and now Thompson leaving DD must now replace 50 points per game of offense and 21 rebounds per game.  Burks, Penava, Watson & Koljanin stepping into their shoes to pick up the loss of those points & rebounds.  Need West, Williams, Bledsoe, Thieneman & Milovic to pick up the points & rebounds from the bench this year.  Maybe DD will surprise us and find another player who can help.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2017, 06:21:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we don't fill that scholarship look for Danny to pull the red shirt off Darius

that will have to suffice but....

if i'm correct, semester registration is around the 14th and potentially as late as the 25th?  is this the latest an addition player (GT or otherwise) can come in and be eligible to play immediately, first game? even if they wouldn't be acclimated to DD ball and teammates, i'd sure feel better with another experienced rebounder/post-mid defender off the bench.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2017, 12:04:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's all building and coming to a head in 2018-2019 season. Just enjoy the ride and watch how the young players develop. Never been this excited about Herd basketball EVER!!!! I know some say its always next year. But that is truly when it all comes together. Going to be exciting this year watching this team develop and mesh and then the BUZZ is going to be off the charts for the 2018-2019 season.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2017, 12:36:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Again, many of us are "tempering" our enthusiasm if, for no other reason, that its still early August, the final season roster has not been set, and, finally, the season schedule has not been released.

Hopefully, the schedule will be out by the end of the month.  Then, my attention will turn to the number of OOC road games we will have:  Illinois and Xavier for sure, ditto for Morehead, Toledo and Ohio U.  Apparently Bill & Mary also.  A key to the season's overall success may well just be how well we fare against the road opponents.  That is due to the fact that Danny D. has won only about 3 or 4 road non-conference games in 3 seasons.

No one disputes that Herd BB is on a steady uptick under D'Antoni.  The key to the next step, meaningful post season participation, will be improving our overall play on the road this season, which will mean that we should be at or near the top of the league when tourney time rolls around.  That and an improved RPI along with a deep CUSA tourney run should greatly improve our chances of getting into the NIT/NCAA.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2017, 02:08:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly for the first time ever, wins and losses is not the most important thing to me.  And it's because I can see without a doubt where the program is headed. I've been going to practice for many years and there is such a distinction between what DD is doing compared to previous coaches it's night and day. The team under DD is getting so much bigger. And I have seen how he developed players. Peneva 2 more years, Williams 4 more years, Bennett 4 more years, George 4 more years etc....anyone that goes to practice and is able to see, marshall basketball is headed for some monster years.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2017, 06:12:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Again, many of us are "tempering" our enthusiasm if, for no other reason, that its still early August, the final season roster has not been set, and, finally, the season schedule has not been released.

Hopefully, the schedule will be out by the end of the month.  Then, my attention will turn to the number of OOC road games we will have:  Illinois and Xavier for sure, ditto for Morehead, Toledo and Ohio U.  Apparently Bill & Mary also.  A key to the season's overall success may well just be how well we fare against the road opponents.  That is due to the fact that Danny D. has won only about 3 or 4 road non-conference games in 3 seasons.

No one disputes that Herd BB is on a steady uptick under D'Antoni.  The key to the next step, meaningful post season participation, will be improving our overall play on the road this season, which will mean that we should be at or near the top of the league when tourney time rolls around.  That and an improved RPI along with a deep CUSA tourney run should greatly improve our chances of getting into the NIT/NCAA.

It looks pretty sure that the one final game we are trying to book may well be a D2. Danny hates it. He really wanted to play a money game on the road. He tried Ohio State, Clemson and Indiana that I know of. All had openings and none would play. We know the the exempt tournament in which we play Illinois on the road will get us home games against Southern, UT-Martin and again this year, NCCU. I think this is at least 3 years in a row that we have played the Eagles in this event.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2017, 06:12:08 PM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2017, 06:21:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nd central is a pretty good team every year.  Usually in ncaa tourney. One thing about DD is he won't shy from competition. I like the scheduling. Play local or rival type teams (Ohio toledo Akron morehead emu etc) and then every big name you can get. Next year gonzaga and wash st out west. He loves the challange.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2017, 10:55:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It looks pretty sure that the one final game we are trying to book may well be a D2. Danny hates it. He really wanted to play a money game on the road. He tried Ohio State, Clemson and Indiana that I know of. All had openings and none would play. We know the the exempt tournament in which we play Illinois on the road will get us home games against Southern, UT-Martin and again this year, NCCU. I think this is at least 3 years in a row that we have played the Eagles in this event.

Which is why, HM, that if we continue to improve, and find success, under Danny that he, Cline and perhaps Mike Hamrick will try to enhance our schedule.  This exempt event means one thing, mainly:  that Herd fans will be treated to 3 nondescript opponents every year at the Cam.  Personally, a slap in the face to loyal fans. Personally, have no real desire to see more than an occasional game against the Florida A&M, Alabama AT&Ts, etc., etc., of the world. If we can't do better than that, then I say dump this event, try to sign a couple more home and home deals with other mid-majors, Miami (O), JMU or ETSU, who are not that far from Huntington.  Then try to see if there is any possibility of getting into a Quality in season tourney, like the Alaska Shoot Out, where the Herd played when Jirsa was the HC.  At least you have the chance of playing a Power school like California of the PAC 12 whom we played in the Alaska tourney.  Would think the Herd would be much better playing in a neutral site tourney where we could get some name opponents on a neutral floor than playing 3 podunks at home and then become the sacrificial lamb for the like of OSU, Louisville, UK, etc., on their home floor.  Even the tourney out west a couple seasons ago where we lost to a good Grand Canyon team and beat a quality mid-major, Wyoming, is better than the exempt event, IMO.

Would love to see our reputation grow in basketball where the Herd EVERY SEASON is considered for the pre season NIT, or other QUALITY tourneys held prior to the start of the conference season!!
    « Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:58:31 PM by coalherd »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2017, 07:27:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Which is why, HM, that if we continue to improve, and find success, under Danny that he, Cline and perhaps Mike Hamrick will try to enhance our schedule.  This exempt event means one thing, mainly:  that Herd fans will be treated to 3 nondescript opponents every year at the Cam.  Personally, a slap in the face to loyal fans. Personally, have no real desire to see more than an occasional game against the Florida A&M, Alabama AT&Ts, etc., etc., of the world. If we can't do better than that, then I say dump this event, try to sign a couple more home and home deals with other mid-majors, Miami (O), JMU or ETSU, who are not that far from Huntington.  Then try to see if there is any possibility of getting into a Quality in season tourney, like the Alaska Shoot Out, where the Herd played when Jirsa was the HC.  At least you have the chance of playing a Power school like California of the PAC 12 whom we played in the Alaska tourney.  Would think the Herd would be much better playing in a neutral site tourney where we could get some name opponents on a neutral floor than playing 3 podunks at home and then become the sacrificial lamb for the like of OSU, Louisville, UK, etc., on their home floor.  Even the tourney out west a couple seasons ago where we lost to a good Grand Canyon team and beat a quality mid-major, Wyoming, is better than the exempt event, IMO.

Would love to see our reputation grow in basketball where the Herd EVERY SEASON is considered for the pre season NIT, or other QUALITY tourneys held prior to the start of the conference season!!

If you don't play in an exempt event, you only get 29 games. With it you get 31.
    The event a couple years ago was also an exempt event . We played one home game and then the 2 neutral court games.
    « Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:29:05 AM by Herdmeister »
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2017, 09:40:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • NC Central is a decent team and has been for a few years. They beat N Kentucky last year that everyone was raving about with John Brannen going to the NCAA. They beat Missouri and also went to the NCAA tournament again. I would love to have some name teams come to the CAM. And you don't think Danny would love that also? He is willing to play anyone anytime and anywhere and that is a fact. I'm sure he would appreciate it if anyone could get those set up for him, home or on the road.  I think our schedule is pretty good actually.

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2017, 02:26:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We need to be better for teams to want to play us. Losing by 40 to a crappy Ohio St. team does not help.

Bennett needs to play this year for 18-19 to be really something to be excited about.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, Flat Tire 2

Offline DC01HERD

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2017, 02:30:40 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly for the first time ever, wins and losses is not the most important thing to me.  And it's because I can see without a doubt where the program is headed. I've been going to practice for many years and there is such a distinction between what DD is doing compared to previous coaches it's night and day. The team under DD is getting so much bigger. And I have seen how he developed players. Peneva 2 more years, Williams 4 more years, Bennett 4 more years, George 4 more years etc....anyone that goes to practice and is able to see, marshall basketball is headed for some monster years.

I disagree. Dan needs to win games. Elmore might be gone next year and if Bennett isn't eligible this year it will dampen expectations next year.

He needs to win to have a shot at getting some of these impact players being produced by the state over the next 2-3 years.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, Flat Tire 2

Offline coalherd

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2017, 09:50:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you don't play in an exempt event, you only get 29 games. With it you get 31.
    The event a couple years ago was also an exempt event . We played one home game and then the 2 neutral court games.

Obviously then, HM, there must be a hell of a lot of exempt events out there as just about every team you look up has 31 games during the regular season.  That means there are a lot of other opportunities to get into some other exempt tourney besides the one we have been in for several years that produces virtually nothing but "dogs" as Herd opponents in the CAM every season. 

Fact is that Coaching staff may have to be willing to go on the road or to a neutral site to get in one of these better events with higher caliber opponents.  Not sure at this time our staff is willing to do so.  Just saying as we continue to improve our team and hopefully find more success in terms of Ws and Ls, I hope the overall quality of our schedule, particularly OOC, continues to climb.

The following users thanked this post: DC01HERD

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2017, 10:43:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well hell....lets just give up even though we are set to have a huge run the next couple seasons. And to say if Bennett doesn't get eligible it will dampen the 2018-2019 season? How many times have we had the size we will have with actual skill. Peneva 6 9" with a 7 foot wing span and another full year under his belt. Williams 6 8" and tons of potential with a year under his belt. Kaljonin 6 8" will be a senior and has a ton of tools. George 6 7" or bigger by then and unbelievable talent. Bennett need i say more. Robinette is going to be a nice player also at 6 8" Then you still have Watson, West, Burks and Theineman that has been shooting the lights out in practice with 3 years under his belt by then. And i do think Elmore will be back his SR year. But if he isn't West will be more than adequate. That is a lot of size skill and quickness. Haven't seen that much of a team package since????? But i'm done posting because obviously the verdict is in. Have a good day and season Herdfans!!!!

The following users thanked this post: Collis P, wasbarryb, horsrman

Offline coalherd

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well hell....lets just give up even though we are set to have a huge run the next couple seasons. And to say if Bennett doesn't get eligible it will dampen the 2018-2019 season? How many times have we had the size we will have with actual skill. Peneva 6 9" with a 7 foot wing span and another full year under his belt. Williams 6 8" and tons of potential with a year under his belt. Kaljonin 6 8" will be a senior and has a ton of tools. George 6 7" or bigger by then and unbelievable talent. Bennett need i say more. Robinette is going to be a nice player also at 6 8" Then you still have Watson, West, Burks and Theineman that has been shooting the lights out in practice with 3 years under his belt by then. And i do think Elmore will be back his SR year. But if he isn't West will be more than adequate. That is a lot of size skill and quickness. Haven't seen that much of a team package since????? But i'm done posting because obviously the verdict is in. Have a good day and season Herdfans!!!!

Let's temper this a little bit and wait to see if what we're "set to have" in the next couple of seasons BECOMES REALITY.  We've heard these glowing pie in the sky reports before regarding preseason practice sessions where EVERY Herd player is a sure fire All American.  So Theineman has been shooting the lights out in practice.  Well, its what he does, or will do, in REAL games that matters.  Remember last year, we heard that former state player of the year Kilgore was really shooting the lights out and that Ot Elmore was the best shooter on the team!  Well, where are they now?  Thompson is now gone.  This time next year, there may be another early defection or two.  Its the nature of the college game today, like it or not.

No one is "down" on DD and his team.  I'll be very happy is the team improves its road record to .500 or better, and wins 23-24 games in the regular season.  If we compete again for the CUSA championship and reach meaningful post season play, I'd think that would be achieving significant milestones in year 4.  Bring on the Herd!!
    « Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:38:22 PM by coalherd »

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead, DC01HERD, Flat Tire 2

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2017, 10:46:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • People are just throwing some reality into the basketball hype.  We lost 50 points and 21 rebounds per game from those players gone now.  We have capable starters joining Jon Elmore in Burks, Watson, Koljanin & Penava to take the place of Browning, Taylor, Loop & Thompson, but it's the development and play of the backups that is going to define how good this team becomes.  West, Thienemen, Bledsoe, Williams & Mijovic have not proven they can be significant contributors yet.  The top 5 subs last season averaged 24 points and 12 rebounds per game.  Both the starters & subs both have a challenge to prove it on the court.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2017, 10:46:22 PM »

Offline coalherd

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2017, 11:32:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • « Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:42:09 PM by coalherd »

Offline MUonium

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2017, 08:48:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • couple of points mentioned here:  IN OOC, not factoring who we played the last three years we improved the home wins total last year so maybe we're finally trending up AT HOME. 
    Away OOC games over the three years is inexcusably terrible but we know that during the "new program building" DD said he was more concerned how they played as they approached CUSA tourney time---OK, that's acceptable then, but no matter who is on the roster this year, DD's team, needs to continue the home wins, but more importantly, they have to start winning more of the away OOC, to strengthen chances of post season play, should there be a 2nd look at CUSA from the NCAA.  in other words, we must be in the mix should/when the top of CUSA does have a strong year.

if i'm accurate, probably close enough:

in 2014-15 we were 4-9 in OOC, 4-4 at home, 0-5 away/nuetral
    in 2015-16 we were 4-9 in OOC, 3-2 at home, 1-7 away/neutral
    in 2016-17 we were 7-6 in OOC, 7-0 at home, 0-6 away/neutral

bottom line is that DD's team has to get to a full scholarship roster (full bench), has to come together quicker/earlier in the year and has to win a higher percentage of away games while consistently defending the M....a lot to ask for but this is what separates.

i'm excited and i look forward to this year knowing that we're close to achieving this but that this year is extremely critical to taking that step.

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead

Offline svherd

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know many are against it but I would like to see us play in the CIT or CBI if for only to get some post season experience and get into that mindset. IF 2018-19 is truly our year, a trip to the NCAA or NIT seems pretty certain, if that happens, the experience of having been in the post season would certainly seem to help the first tournament game jitters, so we don't spend the first half of that game "getting used to the tourney environment". JMO

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

The following users thanked this post: HerdHead

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »