Author Topic: Here is your coaching scoop..................  (Read 11013 times)

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
Here is your coaching scoop..................
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2005, 02:04:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The thing I'll say is with the exception of the guy from South Carolina, I could be happy with just about any of the current prospects for the job.  They all have tremendous upside and they all have their drawbacks.
    Gatorade sucks.  Water is better.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2005, 02:04:00 PM »

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2005, 02:04:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BGT, once again I think your post in on target, but the process of change will begin, and look how far we have came in the past (15) years.  Our goal is to do the same during the next (15) years.  To accomplish this we need a different game plan.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:)  :grin:

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #77 on: March 19, 2005, 02:06:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "pokey"
    there isn't going to be a mass exodus by wvu fans to marshall, dont get me wrong......there are some fringe fans who could be persuaded by this hire.....mainly the Teays Valley area with him being a Hurricane native......I really think he could bring in at least 5K extra fans from the start...i really do.

Pokey 5K would be great, especially with an attend jump I think we can expect this year.

Marahall attend. 27K + 6K CUSA 33K (If Holiday hired) + 5K = 38K

Means we would only have to look for another 3-5K ppl. Not saying these #s are going to be etched in stone but it could be a possibility.

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    « Reply #78 on: March 19, 2005, 02:08:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we'll get maybe a 2-3K bump in attendance from CUSA.  But the fact that the games may not be as available on TV may bring in another 2-3K fans.  And that Most of the games are on Saturday should also help.
    Gatorade sucks.  Water is better.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2005, 02:18:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe if the Administration would decide to become big time from the announcer to the scoreboard. If we we're to become proactive throughout the multi-state community our success could be a surprise to a lot of people.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

:grin:

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #80 on: March 19, 2005, 02:22:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "carolinaherdfan"
    I believe if the Administration would decide to become big time from the announcer to the scoreboard. If we we're to become proactive throughout the multi-state community our success could be a surprise to a lot of people.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

our announcer is big time (steve cotten that is). According to the ISP people (not the local ones), Steve is the best announcer out of them all, and that icludes alot of shcools.  Our TV announcers are not however, i hope they are who you were talking about.  I think what you WANT to become was the same thing Pruett wanted to become......the $$$ isnt there to make the committment.
    *Nothing is more powerful than the truth.
    *You will never be persuasive being abrasive.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #81 on: March 19, 2005, 02:26:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thats where Im saying 6K, it might take it a yr or 2 to get to 6 but there are a lot of ppl that I talk to that say they stay home and watch the game "Because its free" and have Game watching parties of 6 or more. Our attend and fanbase is somewhere in the neigborhood of 27-28 K and seems to have capped out there. Thats where we've been in the last 4 years. We need to be at least where ECU is or better to get a spot in the BE. Which is around 34-36K every year.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2005, 02:30:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pokey, I think you know exactly what I am referring to. There is a big difference in the experience of going to a MU football game vs some other programs that have been established as being bigtime for sometime now. If it is money than we need to start working on that, or we will never realize our deep desire of playing major college football.  It is more than the team; it is a spiritual experience. A way of life; a way of thinking, and a whole new dimension in presentation.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #83 on: March 19, 2005, 02:33:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "carolinaherdfan"
    Pokey, I think you know exactly what I am referring to. There is a big difference in the experience of going to a MU football game vs some other programs that have been established as being bigtime for sometime now. If it is money than we need to start working on that, or we will never realize our deep desire of playing major college football.  It is more than the team; it is a spiritual experience. A way of life; a way of thinking, and a whole new dimension in presentation.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

i agree, some things could be improved, but we have a base of 25K that is what you are describing..........we need to pick up the efforts to find at least 10K more over the next few years who see it the same way.  And i think we need to spend more on marketing the heck out of the program than we do some of the other stuff.

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2005, 02:36:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pokey, I totally agree with your assesment 100%, but we need the big time experience in place before we spend our monies on marketing.

GO THUNDERINGHERD!

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2005, 03:06:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • this post has 2001 views and counting...........wow!
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline ATHENSHERDFAN

« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2005, 07:44:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am sorry pokey, HerdZone but I can't except your rational. I remember sitting at Old Faifield during the losing streak. Don't recall the exact attendence but by the last game there were less than 10K. By the late 80's we were close to 20K, by the late 90's we were at 27K with some over 30K. We have done this without the coat tales of ex-Morgantown people. We've done by winning. This is what it takes.

Also this top 5 recruiting thing. He is at Florida U, and he not top 1, 2 or 3 if he is 5th, then who is ahead of him? Wolf did make a good point about Snyder which I agree with, Snyder recruits at OSU, how hard could that be. But Snyder is still my choice. We have a long way to go, regardless of who is HC before we can truly go head to head for 5 star recruits.  As previously stated, winning is the key for us and who gives us the best oppurtunity?

My point is, we can continue to grow with hard work and winning. We don't need any any of their blue and yella blood.
    HERD FAN FOREVER!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2005, 07:44:33 PM »

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #87 on: March 19, 2005, 08:06:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • totally agree with your post Athens, BUT i think ANY of the following are VERY capable of winning:  Kueck, Snyder, Holliday or Donnan.  They have ALL been key parts of winning programs.  Each brings their own niche to the table.  I would be happy with any 4 of them.  I just don't like the closed minded thinking that just because a guy is from here or there that he wouldn't be a good coach.  Thinking like this is a huge mistake in my opinion.  If you ran a business and a very highly qualified WVU grad applies, would you turn your back on him, even though he might be the right choice for your business?

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2005, 08:17:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • imo....................

Snyder would bring a more balanced offense to Marshall. Similar to OSU. The QB would be good but like OSU QBs, he would not have the big time numbers due to being in a balanced offense which shares/splits time with RBs. The Defense would be simply awesome.

Donnan would be in favor of more passing offensively. Defense would be good.

Kueck would keep it the way us fans want it......................air it out baby. The old set up the run with the pass.
    Defense would be adequate as Kueck will be more focused on keeping that offense the best.
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline ATHENSHERDFAN

« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2005, 11:52:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pokey, go ahead and hire one, but after your business goes under don't come crying to me. Probably find one working in C-ton or H-ton mall. :lol:  :lol:
    HERD FAN FOREVER!

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2005, 12:30:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "pokey"
    totally agree with your post Athens, BUT i think ANY of the following are VERY capable of winning:  Kueck, Snyder, Holliday or Donnan.  They have ALL been key parts of winning programs.  Each brings their own niche to the table.  I would be happy with any 4 of them.  I just don't like the closed minded thinking that just because a guy is from here or there that he wouldn't be a good coach.  Thinking like this is a huge mistake in my opinion.  If you ran a business and a very highly qualified WVU grad applies, would you turn your back on him, even though he might be the right choice for your business?

Pokey, I almost agree with you.. 75%, anyway.

Putting aside the personal input you've gotten from people who seem to like Kueck, when you compare the resume's, Kueck plainly doesn't belong with the other three.

If he did, he would have a wonderfully successful stop at a perennial top-25 program somewhere on that document.

And if he did... I might be first in line crying out for them to remove the interim tag and go with it.

But he just doesn't.

Nothing to be ashamed of... but if he wants a Marshall-kind-of-job, he needs to do what his mentor did when he lost out to Donnan -- ie, go out and get the jobs that will serve to help you gain that kind of position.

And if I'm a screening committee member, I have to conclude that the other three you mentioned, plus Foster, are a cut above everyone else being considered... and I invite them to come for interviews ( -- though if Hanshew's hint is to be believed, Donnan isn't being contemplated).

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2005, 12:38:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think this is getting serious..................

:-D  :o  :mad:

:-P
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2005, 05:18:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think all candidates can recruit. But if they were selected, could each candidate coach our team to be a championship team?
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Online 2xBison

« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2005, 05:31:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • YOU GUYS ARE FRIGGIN INSANE if you think Holiday will bring us that many additional fans/season ticket holders.

first off, most people in the hurricane/teays valley area are from every where but there.  it's one of WV's lone growing areas...why the heck do those people want to rush out to see Doc's team.

second off, we have tons of alumni in the area right now.  and the cheap bastards donate very little......so you guys are telling me, we have alumni there now with minimal BG memberships, but we bring in some yella and blew and the money and season ticket orders starts to steam roll??

you guys are foolish at best.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline ATHENSHERDFAN

« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2005, 06:03:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with you 2x, I don't believe that other guy will provide any real windfall of fans.  Something to add about Snyder, don't think I seen this mentioned much, he was approached  or offered the DC position at LSU. What other offers have our other candidates had in the last 6 months?
    HERD FAN FOREVER!

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2005, 08:11:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Now hold on, if Steve Spurrier was named head coach, our season ticket sales would double instantly. :-P
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline herdman

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2005, 08:43:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herdzone:

Bob Pruett was DC at Tulane and then was hired by Steve Spurrier to be the coordinator at FLorida. I do not think Hollidays resume is comparible to Prueetts.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2005, 08:43:57 PM »

Offline greenskeeper

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    « Reply #97 on: March 21, 2005, 08:58:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Holiday's resume doesn't come CLOSE to Pruetts. Plus who in their right mind wants to watch 30 draw plays in a game? :shock:
    What do you call a place where the coaches are drunks, the players pistol whip local citizens and the fans mug and rob expecting mothers ? You call it - THE FLAGSHIP PROGRAM IN THE STATE OF WV!!! Ollie Luck AD

Offline Thundering Lydia

• All American
    • GKI Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #98 on: March 21, 2005, 09:18:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "DJdaHERDfan"
    Now hold on, if Steve Spurrier was named head coach, our season ticket sales would double instantly. :-P

Yeah . . . if he bought them.   :o

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2005, 09:57:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Okay, we can't just let this thread die... it's the reining Methuselah (sp?) of the board... this is number ninety-nine... whoever has number one hundred, make it worthwhile reading, okay?

:smile:

HerdFans.com

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2005, 09:57:51 AM »