Author Topic: Bearer of bad news...  (Read 14506 times)

Offline FlyHawk98

Re: Bearer of bad news...
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 10:35:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Say whatever you want, but this team will never reach its full potential as long as long as Browning is allowed to continue being selfish. He forces way to many shots. If he's went 2-3 possessions without shooting then he will force one up with 3 people on him just so he can shoot it. It turns into a snow ball effect where others on the team start to force things as well.

Smite it up, I don't care. Its the truth.

Why in the world we only press when we are down 20+ points is mind numbing.

The following users thanked this post: spongebob

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2016, 10:35:04 PM »

Offline spongebob

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 10:47:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Yes because of Elmore driving down the middle just throwing it up or turning it over! Yea he is a good player and our leading scorer but he is a point guard suppose to see the floor but at the end of several games I mentioned he has had people open and refuses to pass off! Coach has yelled at him numerous times for not passing it off . Scoring points means nothing if you don't play good ball and win!! That's all I'm saying it takes  a team to win not 1 player.

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 11:24:29 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you don't think this system can win, you don't have a clue. We are lacking bigs and we win BOTh of the last 2 games. And the bigs are going to be there over the next 1-2 years. We can't go out and get a 5* recruit at 6'10". We have to develope them and DD is doing that. It takes time. In the meantime go cheer for Kentucky.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, The Bull, CoachSkip

Offline banker

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 11:33:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • Final 112 to 106. Herd spanked Pitt in the 2nd half. Have to play complete games.

The reason we are in these games we didnt use to be in, is free throw shooting. Unfortunately, Pitt couldn't miss from the line tonight either. However we used to struggle to Close games with leads due to dismal free throw shooting, and not everyone that has a lead on us late will make all their free throws either.

I like this team in CUSA. Should start 4-0 and climb to 11-6 befote our first real challenge

No offense, but I think this is the false hope that comes from a game like this.  Pitt is a good, not great, team.  They have had defensive issues of their own and trouble holding leads, making games closer than they should be.  Did we start executing better?  Yes.  I would also say that they lost some of their intensity after leading by a huge margin for over 25 minutes.

Again, the system makes it possible to hang with a lot of good teams.  Problem is that it's very hard for the system to work for a full 40 minutes, let alone for 3-4 straight games to win you a conference tournament.

Offline lexkyherdfan

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Heisman
    • GKI Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 11:34:59 PM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • So some people say we can't win playing like we do.  As I mentioned before we can win with this style of play we just need a big guy.  We lost by 6 to a decent ACC team on the road without our starting center.  We were out rebounded by 4 is all without our starting center. At halftime, they had 10 more offensive boards than we did and we closed that gap.  We played much better in the second half and that is the adjustments. Both teams made the same amount of FT and three pointers.  To me that provides optimism for the conference games.  For us to get down on the road by 29 and get back within 5 with a chance is impressive. They could have quit but didn't. If we can get Thompson back things will really be great this year.   Again for a team to be down 58-38 at halftime come back and lose by 6 gives me hope.

The following users thanked this post: Garbanjo, horsrman, LUVTHATHERD, CoachSkip

Offline gochneaur645

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 11:39:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's really just a watered down, not fully committed, edition of what Loyola Marymount was doing back in the 80s. They went faster and scored a lot more.  They won a lot of games, until they played schools with better athletes.

...they went to the Elite 8 after beating the 3rd-seeded defending national champs by 34 and lost to the eventual national champs.

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, CoachSkip

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 11:46:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 2 years ago we had guys that couldn't even make a FT. (Boykins) etc....This is DD's second year actually. And he isn't going out getting all Juco's and the quick fix. I swear Marshall fans are the most unrealistic less knowledgeable fans sometimes i have ever seen. We are playing "on the road" and competing with #24 Cincy and Pitt. It's not like we have been a Kentucky for the last 30 years. DD is building this program and doing it the right way for the long haul. Let's go back and get another Herrion or Donny Jones. Heck with DJ we can have a home schedule of WV Tech, North Florida, Brescia, Tuttlesville St and Marion Community College. :-\

The following users thanked this post: Herdmeister, horsrman, CoachSkip

Offline CoachSkip

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 11:47:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ...they went to the Elite 8 after beating the 3rd-seeded defending national champs by 34 and lost to the eventual national champs.

Racist !!! Racist !!!!  Facts are irrelevant .

I'm glad you put that on here , I was just looking for what they did that year .
    It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance . --- Thomas Sowell
    If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. --- Ronald Reagan
    Character , not circumstances , make the man. --- Booker T Washington
    Bill Nye is an i d i o t
    Ive never killed a mountain lion with my bare hands but Ive choked a few cougars .

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 12:06:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We could win right now if we could cut out some of the selfishness which leads to wasted possessions.

Offline bigwormy

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 12:26:35 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's funny to watch people on here get mad about losing to cincy in overtime and Pitt by 6, both on the road, and day the system won't work. Marshall has sucked forever in bball. They finally has a coach that loves this school, recruits in state, and in only second year won 12 conference games yet people are ready to move on.. lol.. what do you all want?? Marshall is never going to win consistently with a "regular" basketball lineup or scheme. Just look at Belmont and the success they have had. That's what is needed at schools like Marshall.
    if you want more oil at a cheaper price vote republican. if you want the same amount of oil in current supply at a higher price, vote democrat and for a windfall profit tax!

The following users thanked this post: horsrman, CoachSkip

Online elginherd

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 12:38:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's funny to watch people on here get mad about losing to cincy in overtime and Pitt by 6, both on the road, and day the system won't work. Marshall has sucked forever in bball. They finally has a coach that loves this school, recruits in state, and in only second year won 12 conference games yet people are ready to move on.. lol.. what do you all want?? Marshall is never going to win consistently with a "regular" basketball lineup or scheme. Just look at Belmont and the success they have had. That's what is needed at schools like Marshall.

AMEN!!!
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 12:53:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

So anyone who questions or criticizes in any way is ready to move on?

I like DD and the direction we are headed in. Just some of the things I get frustrated with are little things that continue to happen each game.

Seriously. Cut out the wasted possessions by some of our guys chucking up a contested shot with 25 seconds left on the shot clock and we beat both Cincy and Pitt. Probably beat UTC as well.

The following users thanked this post: QuickStrike

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 12:53:30 AM »

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 01:00:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't see the game, but losing at  Pitt 112-106 is respectable.  Getting tired of playing for respectability.  We need to start beating the Pitt's & Cincy's when we play them.  I've seen enough of DD's concept now that I have my observations.

We are never going to out talent these teams starting 5.  We have to out coach, out smart, and out hustle them.  Having a unique system & concept can help. My problem with DD's system is it sometimes is out of control, with the wrong people taking the wrong shot, at the wrong time.  Why do you have to shoot a bad shot so quick?  Why does your worse 3 point shooting option have the green light to shoot a three?  Why are we not pressing more?

We would be better off playing this up tempo game with 3 guards on the perimeter shooting 3s or driving to the basket, and 2 athletic bigger players that can run who roam around the paint setting screens, pick & rolls, getting tips or offensive rebounds.  On defensive these 2 bigger players play better D, block & alter more shots, and rebound better than what we have seen recently.

On defense we need to develop a 10 deep team of full court pressing, trapping, high motor players.  Nothing wears you out more than playing against a non-stop full court pressing, trapping team.  The opposing team star players will be frustrated and have their legs gone by the last 10 minutes of the game.  This will affect their shot and play.  Going 10 deep should keep our guys fresh for the stretch run.   
    « Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:02:45 AM by QuickStrike »

The following users thanked this post: FlyHawk98, coalherd

Offline CamdenPark

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 03:12:27 AM »
  • [Like]1
  • [Dislike]0
  • You people are all out of your minds.

Offline MUther

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 05:59:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • On defense we need to develop a 10 deep team of full court pressing, trapping, high motor players.  Nothing wears you out more than playing against a non-stop full court pressing, trapping team.  The opposing team star players will be frustrated and have their legs gone by the last 10 minutes of the game.  This will affect their shot and play.  Going 10 deep should keep our guys fresh for the stretch run.   

Yeah we definitely need to get a deeper bench before we do line changes, situationally.  But I like the idea.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2016, 08:05:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah we definitely need to get a deeper bench before we do line changes, situationally.  But I like the idea.

Seriously......if you played any basketball, what style of defense did you HATE to play against?  A non-stop full court press, trapping, taking the charge, man-to-man defense?  It's frustrating, and it quickly takes your legs away affecting the rest of your game.  Playing against a token man-to-man or zone is easy.  You get a deep bench of players giving it their all on pressing & trapping and you'll get your share of points off turnovers.  Up-tempo offense should come off up-tempo defense.   

The following users thanked this post: Raoul Duke

Online bighat

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2016, 08:42:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is the same critics from football.  We need a big man or big men.

Online herd2win

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2016, 08:53:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]2
  • It does not take time to turn basketball around...no excuse for not having the right players for whatever system...any good coach makes an immediate impact the first year and by year two is a clear picture of the team...we are going to be a perpetual 500 team under Dantoni.

Online bighat

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2016, 09:25:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here we go again. ???

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2016, 09:34:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So some people say we can't win playing like we do.  As I mentioned before we can win with this style of play we just need a big guy.  We lost by 6 to a decent ACC team on the road without our starting center.  We were out rebounded by 4 is all without our starting center. At halftime, they had 10 more offensive boards than we did and we closed that gap.  We played much better in the second half and that is the adjustments. Both teams made the same amount of FT and three pointers.  To me that provides optimism for the conference games.  For us to get down on the road by 29 and get back within 5 with a chance is impressive. They could have quit but didn't. If we can get Thompson back things will really be great this year.   Again for a team to be down 58-38 at halftime come back and lose by 6 gives me hope.

Do you think one of the reasons for the better second half by The Herd was due to the lack of intensity by Pitt? It is hard to take the second half of a game seriously when you blow out a team that badly.

The following users thanked this post: svherd

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It does not take time to turn basketball around...no excuse for not having the right players for whatever system...any good coach makes an immediate impact the first year and by year two is a clear picture of the team...we are going to be a perpetual 500 team under Dantoni.

That is the dumbest thing i have ever heard. IF that was the case everyone would have a great basketball team. And yes you can go for the quick fix and recruit some Thugs or all Jucos and MAYBE have a good year. But Herrion tried that and we crashed and burned. Yep we got guys like Canty, Thomas, Pittman and leftovers like Kane. And every single one were headcases and you never knew if fists were gonna fly at practice or alcohol was going to be brought to practice in water bottles. DD is bringing in great, and i do mean great kids, that are playing there but off and losing "on the road" to #24 Cincinnati and PITT. And we haven't had our starting Center for 8 games and Taylor has been banged up and missed some games. But this program is making strides and being built for the long haul. Give him time to get more bigs developed thru the system and enjoy the ride. Or you could show up for practice and give DD some of your expert advice on what he is doing wrong. :-\

The following users thanked this post: horsrman

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2016, 09:40:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

We will be fine under DD.  His first year problem was losing the Herrion players with attitude issues and replacing them with the Euros who were not ready to play at this level.  Then, bringing in too many guards at the expense of not bringing in more bigger athletic players.  He stuck gold with James Kelly transferring in.  Not being able to follow up with a big Grad transfer for this year hurt things.  Starting next year we should have a good mix of guards and bigger players.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2016, 09:40:21 AM »

Offline herdorbust

« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Do you think one of the reasons for the better second half by The Herd was due to the lack of intensity by Pitt? It is hard to take the second half of a game seriously when you blow out a team that badly.

Or do you think Marshall may have just came out flat and wasn't playing up to their capability and then just out played Pitt in the second half? I mean they did come out and putt it all over Cincinnati in the first half. I guess Marshall just took Cincy for granted the second half and let up, RIGHT?

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2016, 09:47:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]1
  • I think we could win the conference this year, since CUSA is so weak. The problem will be that we would likely be a 14 or 15 seed in The Big Dance due to our low RPI. We will have to win some of these games next year, if we want to move up the food chain.
    « Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:49:23 AM by Flat Tire 2 »

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2016, 09:53:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Or do you think Marshall may have just came out flat and wasn't playing up to their capability and then just out played Pitt in the second half? I mean they did come out and putt it all over Cincinnati in the first half. I guess Marshall just took Cincy for granted the second half and let up, RIGHT?

Or maybe UC didn't take Marshall seriously in the first half? I think the Pitt coach showed his team the UC/MU game tape and got their attention.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2016, 09:53:21 AM »