Author Topic: SHR Jim Grobe  (Read 14458 times)

Offline breckjimison

SHR Jim Grobe
« on: May 30, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Former Ohio University and Wake Forest head coach Jim Grobe new interim@CBSSportsCFB Reports: Jim Grobe will serve as Baylor's interim coach in 2016

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/reports-jim-grobe-will-serve-as-baylors-interim-coach-in-2016 http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjuocaUW0AAsKqo.jpg
    Shared via CBS Sports head coach at Baylor.

HerdFans.com

SHR Jim Grobe
    « on: May 30, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »

Offline _sturt_

Re: SHR Jim Grobe
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 03:53:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't see that comin.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Former Ohio University and Wake Forest head coach Jim Grobe new interim@CBSSportsCFB Reports: Jim Grobe will serve as Baylor's interim coach in 2016

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/reports-jim-grobe-will-serve-as-baylors-interim-coach-in-2016 http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CjuocaUW0AAsKqo.jpg
    Shared via CBS Sports head coach at Baylor.

I remember Jim from his playing days at Huntington High, of course I was a   very young kid at that time, lol.. :) I hope coach Grobe gets the permanent head coaching job at Baylor. It's good to see a Huntington born and  Marshall asst coach succeed at the highest level.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 04:47:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Didn't see that comin.

This one caught me by surprise as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Grobe

Offline Ovaltine Jenkins

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 05:05:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is a surprise.  I wonder if he will get the permanent gig based on what the team does this year.  However, looming large is Baylor alum Mike Singletary who was passed over for Briles, but is on the radar of many of the donors and alumni base.  It will be interesting to watch.

If the report below is to be believed, this is truly an interim situation.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/30/reports-baylor-to-hire-jim-grobe-as-interim-coach/
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 05:07:57 PM by B-Beavers70 »

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 06:00:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is a surprise.  I wonder if he will get the permanent gig based on what the team does this year.  However, looming large is Baylor alum Mike Singletary who was passed over for Briles, but is on the radar of many of the donors and alumni base.  It will be interesting to watch.

If the report below is to be believed, this is truly an interim situation.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/30/reports-baylor-to-hire-jim-grobe-as-interim-coach/

I wouldn't be surprised if Baylor kept Grobe for at least a year on an interim basis. We should have done the same with Larry Kueck, before we rushed and hired Snyder as coach. Teams are just one bad hire away from becoming a laughing stock.

Offline Bleed_Kelly_Green

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 08:50:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Baylor's next coach could be right there in Texas already.  If I'm the AD, my first call is to Tom Herman at Houston.  His $3m salary at Houston is big, but Baylor has a brand spanking new stadium to pay for.  They'd better back the truck up for an exciting coach like Herman (who's already pulling big-time Texas prospects to Houston) if they don't want to end up with a $300 million dollar kick in the groin.

Offline MUther

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 09:15:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Airing it out to option football...doesn't seem like Baylor's style at all.  But Grobe's a smart guy and he'll get the guy that runs the offense he needs, hopefully.

Online Flat Tire 2

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 09:39:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If I remember correctly, Grobe played Junior College football at Ferrum in Virginia. Ferrum's coach at that time was Huntington native  Hank Norton. Grobe went on to play at UVA for Sonny Randle. Hank Norton was offered the head football position at Marshall after the plane crash, but did not accept the offer.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 10:45:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Baylor kept Grobe for at least a year on an interim basis. We should have done the same with Larry Kueck, before we rushed and hired Snyder as coach. Teams are just one bad hire away from becoming a laughing stock.

Grobe from all accounts has been a stand up, class act throughout his coaching career.  Even when at OU, he was easy to pull for when Bobcats and Herd weren't playing each other.  At age 64, and with his entire coaching background in the eastern US/Atlantic Coast area, have to believe he won't be a permanent  head coach at Baylor beyond 2016.  Just hope all the slime permeating the Waco school and athletic department won't in any way tarnish Jim's solid career and reputation!!

Offline parshall2marshall

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 11:52:37 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes, I suppose he will retire after his stint at Baylor, however long it might last.
    Smart move and good for him.

p2m
    The forever FREE way to Build Sales Funnels and sell Digital Products online. Build free web sites of all kinds without programming. No credit card needed. Limited time.

https://groovepages.groovesell.com/a/gD4OhvmchDoe

Online svherd

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 09:17:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think they went for the guy who is known to be squeaky clean and someone who runs a classy ship. I would assume he will be an interim based on what happens in the fall. I would also assume he will keep the staff and run the same scheme's. Although two of Briles sons are currently on staff now.

Agree with Kelly about the Houston coach - he's a good one and will be a prime target for many schools down the road. I hate Houston but he seems like a really good guy who has his priorities right. Has a hot wife too!  :D

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 09:17:31 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 10:48:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just saw that Baylor will keep Grobe through the 2016 season. At the conclusion they will name a new coach. Depending on the 2016 success, of course Grobe could get the permanent job.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 11:01:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just saw that Baylor will keep Grobe through the 2016 season. At the conclusion they will name a new coach. Depending on the 2016 success, of course Grobe could get the permanent job.

I said earlier in a post, I felt like Baylor would keep Grobe for at least a year. It's a good thing that Baylor is not rushing into a coaching change. A very smart move on their behalf.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 12:14:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Except for one week each year I’m not a Baylor fan. They’re my second favorite team that week.

However I think they are making a serious mistake appointing an interim coach. Already they’re lost several recruits as a result of the turmoil. Since it’s generally known that players sign on with the coach rather than signing with the school, it’s going to be hard for Grobe to seriously recruit top players when he can’t assure them he’s going to be around for the length of their college career. Basically Baylor it throwing away an entire recruiting season and they’re going to suffer for it.

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 12:26:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Except for one week each year I’m not a Baylor fan. They’re my second favorite team that week.

However I think they are making a serious mistake appointing an interim coach. Already they’re lost several recruits as a result of the turmoil. Since it’s generally known that players sign on with the coach rather than signing with the school, it’s going to be hard for Grobe to seriously recruit top players when he can’t assure them he’s going to be around for the length of their college career. Basically Baylor it throwing away an entire recruiting season and they’re going to suffer for it.

Baylor has retained it's entire coaching staff other than Briles. Even Briles son Kendal is still coaching. I don't think Baylor will lose that many recruits.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 12:28:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Baylor has retained it's entire coaching staff other than Briles. Even Briles son Kendal is still coaching. I don't think Baylor will lose that many recruits.

i think he means c/o 2017 recruits. i wouldn't go there when you don't even know who the coach will be.

Offline wasbarryb

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 12:38:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i think he means c/o 2017 recruits. i wouldn't go there when you don't even know who the coach will be.

That was primarily the group I was talking about.

There have been some reports of some of this years recruits considering leaving, but next year is going to be a big big problem. Combine some losses from this year and a weak class next year and they are going to be working from a big hole.

Offline mu79grad

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 01:20:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I liked this statement from the article that is pasted below:  "I've heard him (Coach Grobe) say this 1,000 times in recruiting: 'Bring me an average player who's a great kid over a great player who's a bad kid,'" said Elrod. "That was huge to him."

From ESPN:  http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15833061/espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15839523/why-jim-grobe-perfect-guy-replace-art-briles-baylor

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 02:14:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wake Forest must have had really, really, REALLY great kids.   (ducking)

Offline MarshallManiac

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Baylor kept Grobe for at least a year on an interim basis. We should have done the same with Larry Kueck, before we rushed and hired Snyder as coach. Teams are just one bad hire away from becoming a laughing stock.

I pray you're not serious about Kueck.

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 02:34:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I pray you're not serious about Kueck.

I don't know about EMan, but I sure thought at the time, that's what we should have done.  We went thru spring practice with the man, why not just go thru the season, and have 6 months to do a proper search at the end of the season, instead of a stop gap measure that lasted 5 yrs??? 

That whole situation was a mess, and only 1 person to blame for it!!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 02:34:15 PM »

Offline iherdya

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 02:41:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't know about EMan, but I sure thought at the time, that's what we should have done.  We went thru spring practice with the man, why not just go thru the season, and have 6 months to do a proper search at the end of the season, instead of a stop gap measure that lasted 5 yrs??? 

That whole situation was a mess, and only 1 person to blame for it!!!

because at the end of 6 months to do a proper search, we would've ended up with the same candidates and completely thrown away another recruiting class (not that it mattered in the long run).

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • because at the end of 6 months to do a proper search, we would've ended up with the same candidates and completely thrown away another recruiting class (not that it mattered in the long run).

disagree on the same candidates thing, there are more available at the end of the season, than at the end of spring practice.  The same can be said for assistant coaches, there are more available after the season than after the spring.  As far as throwing away a recruiting class, that too would be debatable.  You could have your coach in place by the end of Nov/early Dec, and could line up some guys. 

What we did was a complete and total CF!!  How many times do you see a coach named after spring practice?

Offline iherdya

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 03:03:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • disagree on the same candidates thing, there are more available at the end of the season, than at the end of spring practice.  The same can be said for assistant coaches, there are more available after the season than after the spring.  As far as throwing away a recruiting class, that too would be debatable.  You could have your coach in place by the end of Nov/early Dec, and could line up some guys.  

What we did was a complete and total CF!!  How many times do you see a coach named after spring practice?

how many times do you see a coach quit the day before spring practice?

there were certain donors that were involved in the process, each in a camp, they would've remained in said camps through the end of the season, which means snyder would've been the front-runner whether we hired in spring or in december.

and early december isn't that much time to recruit, considering mid-december to mid-january is a dead period and most of the better/top prospects are committed or have narrowed their list at that point to the schools they'll visit.

i know mickey was a popular name at the time, but he coached in the fcs finals on december 17th, he wouldn't have been able to join until after the dead period. who else was a potential candidate?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2016, 03:03:48 PM »