Author Topic: Vingle: State of the Herd  (Read 18387 times)

Offline W0lfman

Vingle: State of the Herd
« on: April 27, 2016, 11:09:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• HerdFans.com

« on: April 27, 2016, 11:09:24 AM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: Vingle: State of the Herd
    « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 11:22:36 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Interesting Vingle article on Doc and the football program.

Vingle mentions six major recruits in the state!

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 12:48:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have to say this one of the few articles, that Vingle has given us a fair shake.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 02:28:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think the Wolfley kid committed to the WHO as a JR.  The remodeled locker rooms are a welcome addition.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 03:30:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have to say this one of the few articles, that Vingle has given us a fair shake.

he likes Doc from the wvu days
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline backontrack

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 03:39:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It's an added bonus that writers like Vingle and Mickey Furfari have good relationships with Doc, which in turn gets us a fairer shake from the WVU appologists...

Offline ThunderValley

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 04:04:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Still, if Marshall wishes to someday hit the AAC, he knows there has to be a shine to the program.

Maybe some talks down the road?

Offline coalherd

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 05:12:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I thought the Shewey was thoroughly gutted and redone about midway during Mark Snyder's tenure.  Remember a video with him describing how the team meeting room was enlarged, remodeled, etc., so that whole team could sit in on meetings, film sessions, etc. Also, there was that computer gizmo that was suppose to be used by our quarterbacks to simulate all kinds of game situations, plays, etc.  Wonder if it was ever used much or if it is still around.  Oh, well, guess almost a decade later guess its time the Shewey got a little facelift.

Just too bad that it was not designed or built for some type of "vertical" expansion which could include some type of fan zone, walkway and plaza, concession areas, and perhaps some luxury boxes or additional seating, perhaps, which a lot of schools have included in the end zone areas.
    « Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:27:09 PM by coalherd »

Offline pdunn

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 10:00:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Just too bad that it was not designed or build for some type of "vertical" expansion which could include some type of fan zone, walkway and plaza, concession areas, and perhaps some luxury boxes or additional seating, perhaps, which a lot of schools have included in the end zone areas.

I remember back in the day when a stadium was a place where you went to watch a ball game.  Guess I'm getting old.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 10:38:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I often wonder, if Vingle's new found decency to the Marshall is a result of the near zero chance of getting paired up with his beloved mountaineers in football or basketball? 

I have heard other West VIrginians say that they can root for Marshall now that we are no longer in competition with WVU...Any thoughts (other than F' them, which is my thought)

Online 2xBison

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 10:48:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sounds like BS to me....we get ranked or have great seasons in either major sport then you'll see the real wvu fan
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline MUPhish

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Vingle isn't fooling anyone. This is a perfect example of unpopular kid becoming popular in high school. He wants to now be friends with them and act like he's been on board the whole time. Nice try, bud.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 10:56:25 AM »

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 12:37:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe some talks down the road?

Unless Hamrick is just being PC with me, it's not happening.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 01:08:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Unless Hamrick is just being PC with me, it's not happening.

Ty, I don't know why Hamrick would rule out the AAC. Unless, the AAC has already told Mike, under no circumstances will we get an invite. Mike has always listened to Herd Fans. The Herd Fans want out of CUSA, aka an ice-cream conference, asap!

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 01:15:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ty, I don't know why Hamrick would rule out the AAC. Unless, the AAC has already told Mike, under no circumstances will we get an invite. Mike has always listened to Herd Fans. The Herd Fans want out of CUSA, aka an ice-cream conference, asap!

He told me that the MU budget is $14 million less than the smallest AAC budget. He said there is no way we can compete with that. He said it wouldn't be fair to put our coaches in that big of hole.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 01:23:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He told me that the MU budget is $14 million less than the smallest AAC budget. He said there is no way we can compete with that. He said it wouldn't be fair to put our coaches in that big of hole.

I have a suggestion and it might work, how about raising more money from alumni donors, etc... Being in a better conference and playing better teams would increase "tickets sales" it's like a pay to play deal. If we moved to the AAC, I wouldn't have a problem paying more for tickets and I'm sure most Herd Fans feel the same.

Offline herdgameplan

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • AAC not in the thinking at all don't need them and we are headed up above them and don't discount it being in our future! We are Marshall and on any day we can beat the best of them and Doc is just hitting the beginning of what we will see in the future!
    I know of one Marshall Fan who is not an Alum has said he is interested in making a sizable contribute in the future if Marshall wants to move to a P5 competitive conference!
    DD at the helm of building a powerful BB Team for the future all is needed is the right combination of resources not politically tied to WVU or WV gov!

Additional: being in Morgantown this week it looks as they are dreaming about building a new FB stadium closer to downtown?????? Sounds like more sucking sounds of our tax revenues down a morganhole!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 01:30:39 PM by herdgameplan »

Offline iherdya

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 01:31:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have a suggestion and it might work, how about raising more money from alumni donors, etc... Being in a better conference and playing better teams would increase "tickets sales" it's like a pay to play deal. If we moved to the AAC, I wouldn't have a problem paying more for tickets and I'm sure most Herd Fans feel the same.

the difference in tv money is about $1m, so there's a $13m gap between us and the bottom of the aac, about a $20m-$25m gap between us and the middle of the pack aac. we just had to beg and beg and beg to raise $25m for the new facilities on campus, and when we couldn't raise that much from our core fan base, we had to go hit chris cline up for more money.

actually most herd fans wouldn't pay more, there's a small core of diehards (like yourself and most people on this board) that would, but the vast majority of our fans bitch about $20 tickets, but you think they'd be willing to pay $50? we had a total football attendance of 157,930 this year, to generate an extra $5m on football ticket sales that means on average we'd have to increase ticket prices by $32, so our cheapest tickets are now $50 per game and the high end tickets are pushing $100/game. in that scenario we'd actually lose revenue because people would quit coming. we've been in the aac before, we were for several years, we didn't see increased ticket sales. people don't care about playing those schools, they're not a huge draw at our ticket office.

we absolutely need to do a better job of engaging the community, fans, increasing season ticket sales, increasing big green donations, but it's not as easy as "charge more for tickets."

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 01:32:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah and no NQs. Don't think this isn't a sticking point with Doc and Mike. Players like Yulee, G Thompson, Big Money, McManus and others. Carn and Hames comes this summer and either could wind up very imp. And besides there are three AAC schools on the schedule. Prob more to follow. Why buy the cow if the milk is free?

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 01:47:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah and no NQs. Don't think this isn't a sticking point with Doc and Mike. Players like Yulee, G Thompson, Big Money, McManus and others. Carn and Hames comes this summer and either could wind up very imp. And besides there are three AAC schools on the schedule. Prob more to follow. Why buy the cow if the milk is free?

It's good to get feed back from you guys and you make very interesting conversation. This is true what you said about the NQ's. I have to believe, we could still recruit well if we where in the AAC..

Online 2xBison

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 02:33:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly as a fan I would rather play many of the teams in AAC than cusa 3.0.

But looking at the facts and budget, we are where we need to be.  We just need to dominate cusa 3.0 and win multiple championships and get an Access bowl or two.  Keep decent OOC schedule like this years and win and we will be fine
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline bbcard1

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Our best bet is to keep winning and hope for a revolution where college teams are more intelligently aligned. AAC really does not offer any natural rivals for us that would lead to great game-day atmospheres with the exception of ECU.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »

Online svherd

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 02:55:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

But looking at the facts and budget, we are where we need to be.  We just need to dominate cusa 3.0 and win multiple championships and get an Access bowl or two.  Keep decent OOC schedule like this years and win and we will be fine

Agree. The finances just aren't in our favor.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online Garbanjo

• Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 03:15:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

+1

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 04:22:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If the goal isn't to move up then what's the point?

C-USA has a ceiling.  You can bet others are trying to move up.

Maybe we can't and maybe it wouldn't work but the goal should be to figure out a way to move up and improve.  Doc's 60 years old, you can't base your long term goals around letting him have non-qualifiers either.  He won't be around for ever.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 04:22:54 PM »