Author Topic: Kyre Allison commits?  (Read 28700 times)

Offline BHFIOHIO

Re: Kyre Allison commits?
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 06:22:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Burks might not be exceptionally quick but he took it to the hole three times in a row at ODU when we needed it laying it up almost like a left hook over bigger guys. I like CJ a lot. Agree Allison's tape is very impressive.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 06:22:44 PM »

Offline yogiherd

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 06:27:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm very aware of Stevie and C.J. it is what it is, I'm not "underselling neither one" Did you ever play the game? if so, where? I've played with some of the best talent doing my time.

wow! let's hope marshallmark doesn't read this thread. it will be hard  to find a  Herd hat that fits him after that quote!!! ;)    
    In God We Trust.
    United We Stand.
    God Bless America.
    go herd!!!

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 07:07:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • need to also remember that browning will be a SR -- we only have him for 1 more yr

Offline The E-Man

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 08:05:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • wow! let's hope marshallmark doesn't read this thread. it will be hard  to find a  Herd hat that fits him after that quote!!! ;)    

LMAO, I played against top talent, not an amateur like marshallmark,,ouch! :)

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 08:13:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Heck I got you all beat.  I played against the Oney Avenue 5. 8)

TRS
    MU 71

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 08:21:43 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He sort of reminds me a little bit of the Van Fleet kid that played at Wichita State.  He looks like a good prospect.  Now we need some inside help.  I am still hoping that coach can come up with a good one before signing day is over in May.. Like someone said we only have Stevie for one more year.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline Olen

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 08:33:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with you a 100%.. I've been saying all year, we needed a guard who could penetrate and break down a defense. Elmore is a good guard for us, he's not as quick as Allison though. I think with Allison running the one and Elmore at the 2, we will be very very hard to defend just my opinion.

Allison is expected to be Elmore's back-up/relief -- probably to the tune of 5-10 mins per game.  

Browning / Burks will be the 2-head monster at the "two".

Thieneman is expected to be Loop's immediate back-up -- expected to play 5-10 mins per game.  Thieneman was considered the most improved player on the team, and by the end of the season was considered one of the top three perimeter shooters on the team.  Coaches like his defensive intensity and capabilities as well.  

The 4 and 5 positions (esp. the back-ups) will require all of us to wait until fall -- too many moving parts and possibilities to make any legit declarations at this point.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 08:35:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Two signees in early signing period; 2 supposedly commits during Spring signing period; rumor of grad transfer; at least one scholarship signee sitting out this season (Thienemann, sp.- -assume Frampton sitting out is a walk on).  Only 2 scholly players gone, no more eligibility (Edmunds, Kelly).  Umm, not sure that these numbers work, but again I'm not well versed in the "new math". ;D

Offline Olen

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 09:34:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Two signees in early signing period; 2 supposedly commits during Spring signing period; rumor of grad transfer; at least one scholarship signee sitting out this season (Thienemann, sp.- -assume Frampton sitting out is a walk on).  Only 2 scholly players gone, no more eligibility (Edmunds, Kelly).  Umm, not sure that these numbers work, but again I'm not well versed in the "new math". ;D

To balance the equation (harkening back to my chemistry days):

Edmonds/Kelly eligibility exhausted = 2 early signees (Bledsoe/Williams)

Cross = non-scholarship enrollee (unless he chooses prep school route)

Allison will formally commit next week (when signing period opens back up -- April 13) -- this was made possible by a defection (we'll have to wait for a more formal announcement after the semester).

All other scholarships are accounted for -- the one serious grad transfer pursuit has fizzled because that person has decided to pursue professional basketball.  IF another intriguing grad transfer materializes, then another spot will be required - and we'll have to have faith in DD that he'll make the math work.  :)

Offline OHIO1804

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 11:30:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • there seems to be some confusion, Allison did not have any offers before today. If you read the article its clear, the comments from him and his coach about finally being recognized as a D1 talent are in regards to receiving the offer today from Marshall. And per twitter he immediately committed, someone with multiple offers probably doesn't do that.

And that's in no way a knock on him, I know some people from the area that have watched him play and they like his game, just clarifying that I haven't seen any sign of him being offered by WSU and I know for certain he wasn't even on OU's radar, I thought he might make a good backup PG for us. Looks like a solid pick up though.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 12:20:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To balance the equation (harkening back to my chemistry days):

Edmonds/Kelly eligibility exhausted = 2 early signees (Bledsoe/Williams)

Cross = non-scholarship enrollee (unless he chooses prep school route)

Allison will formally commit next week (when signing period opens back up -- April 13) -- this was made possible by a defection (we'll have to wait for a more formal announcement after the semester).

All other scholarships are accounted for -- the one serious grad transfer pursuit has fizzled because that person has decided to pursue professional basketball.  IF another intriguing grad transfer materializes, then another spot will be required - and we'll have to have faith in DD that he'll make the math work.  :)

I defer to a "scientist".  Numbers wise, guess we are ok.  If Cross is on squad next season as a walk-on, are we allowed to dress more players than the scholarship limit?  Wonder how many "walkons" on this year's team will be back and dressed next season (Bowling, Frampton, Kilgore)?  Could we potentially have a bench, at least for home games, of 15-16 players, or more?

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2016, 08:03:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    HUNTINGTON - Portsmouth High School's all-time leading scorer cast his lot with Marshall Thundering Herd men's basketball.

Ky're Allison, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound guard, made a verbal commitment Thursday and said he will sign a letter of intent Wednesday when the recruiting period opens.

Allison said the Marshall coaching staff and the school being only 45 miles down the Ohio River from home helped him choose between the Thundering Herd and North Carolina A&T University. Ohio University, the University of Toledo and prep school were other options, he said.

"I liked that the school was right up the road," he said.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall_sports/ohio-guard-verbals-to-herd/article_2b3b0958-2b9e-594d-ae10-bfaeaed58ed2.html

According to McCann, he's a natural left-handler who could be a backup PG to Elmore.

It also gives DD options to play him at the point and Elmore at the two or vice versa.

Also, he made first team all-state as a junior, averaging 18 pg.
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:12:24 AM by Buffalo Bop »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2016, 08:03:07 AM »

Offline svherd

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2016, 09:06:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wonder why he had no offers? Sorta makes me wonder if he is a quality get or we are signing him just to be a backup PG.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 09:10:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • there seems to be some confusion, Allison did not have any offers before today. If you read the article its clear, the comments from him and his coach about finally being recognized as a D1 talent are in regards to receiving the offer today from Marshall. And per twitter he immediately committed, someone with multiple offers probably doesn't do that.

And that's in no way a knock on him, I know some people from the area that have watched him play and they like his game, just clarifying that I haven't seen any sign of him being offered by WSU and I know for certain he wasn't even on OU's radar, I thought he might make a good backup PG for us. Looks like a solid pick up though.

I did wonder why he supposedly had an offer from a school halfway across the country.

Offline Olen

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 09:13:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Based on older articles, Allison had offers from Wichita St. and Ohio Univ.  The possibility exists that he waited too long to move on those offers and each eventually disappeared because other offerees committed before Allison.

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2016, 09:13:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• The 4 and 5 positions (esp. the back-ups) will require all of us to wait until fall -- too many moving parts and possibilities to make any legit declarations at this point.

Gotta be honest, these two statements really make me wonder about the Taylor rumor. 

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2016, 09:26:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • LMAO, I played against top talent, not an amateur like marshallmark,,ouch! :)

Step away from the board for a couple of days, and THIS is what I return to?  Geez...

To be fair, E and I played in the "day" against and with players like David Wade, Larry Watson, Earl Jones, Michael Price (the best of all of them -- what a shame), Alan Price, etc.  There were EIGHT guys on my high school b'ball team that got college scholarships, and we still couldn't get past Logan in regionals. 

Not to hijack this thread, but Michael Price was 6'5" in 8th grade at Oley, and was already a Street/Smith honorable mention all american high school player.  As a sophomore he had grown to 6'7", and could jump out of the gym - saw him take over a game at Logan that year when he had 21 points and 22 rebounds on a team with Wade and Watson.  He would have been O.J. before O.J. but for making some terrible choices in life.  Nice guy, too. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline Olen

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2016, 09:33:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Gotta be honest, these two statements really make me wonder about the Taylor rumor. 

It is not Taylor -- probably be another month before the information becomes official and the numbers are explained.

Offline Olen

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2016, 09:36:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Step away from the board for a couple of days, and THIS is what I return to?  Geez...

To be fair, E and I played in the "day" against and with players like David Wade, Larry Watson, Earl Jones, Michael Price (the best of all of them -- what a shame), Alan Price, etc.  There were EIGHT guys on my high school b'ball team that got college scholarships, and we still couldn't get past Logan in regionals. 

Not to hijack this thread, but Michael Price was 6'5" in 8th grade at Oley, and was already a Street/Smith honorable mention all american high school player.  As a sophomore he had grown to 6'7", and could jump out of the gym - saw him take over a game at Logan that year when he had 21 points and 22 rebounds on a team with Wade and Watson.  He would have been O.J. before O.J. but for making some terrible choices in life.  Nice guy, too. 

That was back when Logan had a recruiting budget larger than all the WVIAC schools and was nipping at MU's heels.  ;)

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2016, 10:13:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is not Taylor -- probably be another month before the information becomes official and the numbers are explained.

True. NOT Taylor. I know one that will be gone. Depends how many more Danny offers before any others have to go.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2016, 10:44:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That was back when Logan had a recruiting budget larger than all the WVIAC schools and was nipping at MU's heels.  ;)

True dat.  Even as a high schooler, we all knew that Logan's best player's father had been offered a lucrative job for a Logan area coal mine from the family's home in the Columbus area, even though he didn't have the background or (from what I heard) didn't even need to attend the job.  Not saying who that player was, but his name rhymed with Rick Berbert. 
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline Olen

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2016, 11:22:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • True dat.  Even as a high schooler, we all knew that Logan's best player's father had been offered a lucrative job for a Logan area coal mine from the family's home in the Columbus area, even though he didn't have the background or (from what I heard) didn't even need to attend the job.  Not saying who that player was, but his name rhymed with Rick Berbert. 

HEH - the worst kept secret in Logan Co. (regarding Rick Berbert's transfer). 

At one point, there were rumors that Logan HS was going to join the WVIAC but didn't like the monetary limitations imposed by the league.  ;)

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2016, 11:22:21 AM »

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2016, 12:17:04 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Allison could be the second signee in the late period, which begins April 13. He is expected to join 6-foot-7 Jacara Cross. Phillip Bledsoe of Wheeling Park and 6-9 Jannson Williams of Georgia signed in November.

All four are high school products, and if all four will qualify to play as freshmen, that foretells departures this offseason. Eleven players from the 2015-16 roster are on scholarship, so the Herd would sit two over the limit of 13. - See more at: http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/20160408/marshall-gets-basketball-commitment-from-portsmouth-guard#sthash.NaHyJCfz.dpuf

Smock calls Allison a “way under the radar” guard.

Offline WoodyWoodrum

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2016, 01:34:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow, Yogi, was the E-Man fessing up about doing time?????

Quote from: The E-Man on Yesterday at 04:04:18 PM
    I'm very aware of Stevie and C.J. it is what it is, I'm not "underselling neither one" Did you ever play the game? if so, where? I've played with some of the best talent doing my time.

Inquiring minds want to know ;)
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 01:37:55 PM by WoodyWoodrum »
    Woody Woodrum

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2016, 01:56:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think Allison is definitely a D1 player.

Also must mention that CJ Burks is explosively, lightning-like quick.  Anyone saying he's not quick doesn't know what quick looks like.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2016, 01:56:13 PM »