Author Topic: So if Hamrick decides to put beer in the Joan...  (Read 11542 times)

Offline Thundering In MD

Re: So if Hamrick decides to put beer in the Joan...
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 12:25:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • FWIW, I voted no.
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2016, 12:25:34 AM »

Offline HerdFanJ

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2016, 07:07:50 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Awful how? Because of the wait or because of the quality?

The wait - I wasn't going to miss the game.  The upper level was very poorly managed or maybe they were surprised by the size of the crowd.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2016, 07:46:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We had upper level seats and WKU concessions were AWFUL!  I just wanted a drink and a snack since we were driving after the game, but the wait was at least 20 minutes for a crowd that was not huge.

I tried 2 different times to get something to eat downstairs. Finally gave up and stopped on the way home after the game.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Echo 5

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 10:07:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I fully understand and appreciate the fans that stay the entire game.  As another poster said, it's how they enjoy the game.

I still haven't heard the argument/logic for eliminating re-entry (regardless of whether or not beer is sold in the stadium).  Why is it a good idea? 

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2016, 10:40:06 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I fully understand and appreciate the fans that stay the entire game.  As another poster said, it's how they enjoy the game.

I still haven't heard the argument/logic for eliminating re-entry (regardless of whether or not beer is sold in the stadium).  Why is it a good idea?  

A movie theatre wont let you leave to go buy a soda at McDonalds during the show. They have a captured audiences and want to make money from the soda sold in the theatre. In fact, in theatre case, that is where they make the money, NOT on admission price.
    Same with venues that sell beer. They want you to buy the beer there.
    And like someone else posted earlier. With security the way it is today, it is plenty of extra work to have to search people over and over again.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline Echo 5

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2016, 01:04:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A movie theatre wont let you leave to go buy a soda at McDonalds during the show. They have a captured audiences and want to make money from the soda sold in the theatre. In fact, in theatre case, that is where they make the money, NOT on admission price.
    And like someone else posted earlier. With security the way it is today, it is plenty of extra work to have to search people over and over again.

I understand the argument for keeping captured audiences (and the additional revenue theoretically obtained from doing so), but I sure hope MU vastly improves their concession menu, improves the restrooms, and also sells beer if they do decide to deny re-entry.  If improvements in these areas aren't made and re-entry is denied, I believe the net effect will be lost attendance after half time.

I don't buy the issue with security at all.  The gate security guards are there regardless, and there is never a line/issue when re-entering the stadium.  They check your ticket stub/hand stamp, etc just as if you are entering for the first time. 

Offline Pinkerton99

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 04:01:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • A movie theatre wont let you leave to go buy a soda at McDonalds during the show. They have a captured audiences and want to make money from the soda sold in the theatre. In fact, in theatre case, that is where they make the money, NOT on admission price.

http://www.businessinsider.com/theater-attendance-down-to-19-year-low-2015-1?op=1

That exact attitude is why the the cinema and cable industry lose customers every year.  Businesses should compete for customers by providing an awesome product.  As soon as they start playing the 'extract as much cash as possible' game; customers will go elsewhere. 

The fact is that Marshall's food options are not acceptable.  Everything sold in the concourse is garbage.  Hell even the soft drinks are flat more often than not.  The bathrooms are inadequate and are not kid friendly.  We have an abundance of elderly fans that quite literally can't make it through a whole game.

As far as gate "security", the whole thing is a joke.  Do you seriously think the sixteen year old, 110 pound bag checker is going to stop someone just because she's wearing a  yellow vest?  The whole thing is security theater to A.) Discourage people from bringing in food or alcohol, B.) placate people so they feel as if they are protected, and C.) to be a huge pain in the ass for the fans.
    Note: I'm not Eric Pinkerton.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 04:15:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The concourse doesn't even have to be expanded structurally. Just move the fence back on both sides of the stadium, and allow vendors to set against the fence on the other side. This would open up flow a lot imo.

Offline ThunderDent

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 04:29:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Beer sales. Needed. Yes on this.

Re-entry = high school. Enough said.
    We need bigger concourses and restrooms badly. And better consessions.
    Re-entry needed to be gone 15 years ago.
    We want to be big time, we need to act like it.

Offline caliherd

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I find the re entry threads on this board and other herd fan boards so incredibly strange. It's 20 minutes.  That's it 20 minutes. I just don't get going to a football game and not being able to leave for 20 minutes at halftime having an effect on your viewership of the football game you came to see.  Plus it's not even really 20 minutes it's really more like 10 because if you really are getting back in your seat before the second half kickoff it will take you at least 5 minutes to get out of the stadium to get to your tailgate and open up your tailgate to get to the food and drinks. Honestly it's  probably more than that but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Plus it's at least 5 minutes to shut back down and get back to your seat in the stadium, so basically all of this is over at most 10 minutes of time.

I also find the concession complaints strange too. Once again it's 3 hours of time you literally can't go 3 hours without eating or drinking something that is considered excellent. Really? I've been going to games at stadiums all across the country and honestly stadium food is stadium food even the places that have gourmet food it's honestly never been great.

The reason you go to a football game is the game, that's it. Yes tailgating is awesome, seeing your friends is awesome, grilling out and drinking beer is awesome but at the end of the day none if it would matter or exist if there were no football game being played. So here's a crazy idea, go to the game tailgate your behind off before and after the game. Eat and drink as much as you can so for that 3 hour period of time you don't need to eat or drink anything during the game, stay in he stadium watch the game and then after the game repeat your experience you did before the game and you will have gotten your belly full you are probably sufficiently full of beer, and you actually watched the entire game and 100 percent supported the in game experience.

But I know that's probably too much to ask to sacrifice that 10 minute of time you get to suck down a beer and slam a sandwich so we don't start every second half with literally half the people in the stands that were there in the first half.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2016, 09:54:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Pass outs are convenient, but no where near a deal breaker for me. I just don't like the thought of tying the pass outs into the alcohol sales. Why try to act like we can't have one without the other?

Hamrick would be silly not to put beer in the Joan.

Offline caliherd

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2016, 10:12:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree flyhawk I'm 100% for selling beer at the games boy football and basketball.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2016, 10:12:47 AM »

Offline Greg H

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2016, 10:39:51 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I find the re entry threads on this board and other herd fan boards so incredibly strange. It's 20 minutes.  That's it 20 minutes. I just don't get going to a football game and not being able to leave for 20 minutes at halftime having an effect on your viewership of the football game you came to see.  Plus it's not even really 20 minutes it's really more like 10 because if you really are getting back in your seat before the second half kickoff it will take you at least 5 minutes to get out of the stadium to get to your tailgate and open up your tailgate to get to the food and drinks. Honestly it's  probably more than that but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Plus it's at least 5 minutes to shut back down and get back to your seat in the stadium, so basically all of this is over at most 10 minutes of time.

I also find the concession complaints strange too. Once again it's 3 hours of time you literally can't go 3 hours without eating or drinking something that is considered excellent. Really? I've been going to games at stadiums all across the country and honestly stadium food is stadium food even the places that have gourmet food it's honestly never been great.

The reason you go to a football game is the game, that's it. Yes tailgating is awesome, seeing your friends is awesome, grilling out and drinking beer is awesome but at the end of the day none if it would matter or exist if there were no football game being played. So here's a crazy idea, go to the game tailgate your behind off before and after the game. Eat and drink as much as you can so for that 3 hour period of time you don't need to eat or drink anything during the game, stay in he stadium watch the game and then after the game repeat your experience you did before the game and you will have gotten your belly full you are probably sufficiently full of beer, and you actually watched the entire game and 100 percent supported the in game experience.

But I know that's probably too much to ask to sacrifice that 10 minute of time you get to suck down a beer and slam a sandwich so we don't start every second half with literally half the people in the stands that were there in the first half.

Well, someone isn't in the customer service business.  Work for the government do you?

Offline Big City

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2016, 11:03:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sell beer. Have a family section with no alcohol allowed. 
    Sell an upgraded ticket package that includes a pass in/out fee for those that want to leave. a reasonable fee to capture some of the revenue that walks out at halftime.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline svherd

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2016, 11:28:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Beer sales. Needed. Yes on this.

Re-entry = high school. Enough said.
    We need bigger concourses and restrooms badly. And better consessions.
    Re-entry needed to be gone 15 years ago.
    We want to be big time, we need to act like it.

Amen! Get rid of the Gino's Pizza and the Thunderdogs. Add some BBQ and Burgers, Jimmy Johns, Chick Fil A, kettle korn, add Beer and good soft drinks.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Thunders

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2016, 12:18:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've had season tickets for years and years and have never left the stadium once.

Amen
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline Thunders

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2016, 12:56:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Yes!! What he said x 1000. This is insanity that this is such a big deal. My guess would be to wait till last minute to tell fans. It's freaking 20 minutes!  Stay in the stadium, listen to the band and enjoy being there!!

If you like to tailgate why not do that before and after the game? Why does it have to be during the game??
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline caliherd

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2016, 01:43:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well, someone isn't in the customer service business.  Work for the government do you?
    [/quote

So it's non customer service oriented to not let people come and go into the stadium for a football game as they please, even though in no other form of entertainment is that allowed. No I don't work nor live off the govt. and actually the business I work in would not exist without lots of customers. Customer service, excellent brand name and our products keep us in business.  But under zero circumstances do I see how a no re entry policy is anti customer. If anything in this case the customer is being anti customer service. We won't buy the products you sell because your food and drink don't match my high culinary standards, we prefer to eat and drink our own stuff. Many of the tailgate lots aren't even owned by Marshall so you aren't giving Marshall anything but the price of a ticket if you actually paid for it.

Many of these people also diminish the game day experience for others at the game by showing up mid way into the third quarter so they have to climb over people to get to their seats or not coming back at all so the stadium is way less full after half time than at kickoff which always looks great.

If it seriously means you would stop going to games because they instituted a no re entry policy then I don't think you are there for the game at all and are more there for the social scene of it, which is fine I just don't know why you expect Marshall to cater to you more than it does someone who has as their primary reason for being at the game is to actually  watch the game they bought tickets for.

But you don't have to worry way more people agree with you than me, we will always run Marshall as a small time program. We wont institute a no re entry policy, we probably won't ever sell beer so we can keep our great leave at halftime customers happy.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2016, 04:20:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe, in keeping with our Appalachian obesity and addiction reputation, just maybe, the Marshall fan base consists of a lot more than the national average of alcohol and food craving addicts who just can't wait to rush out of the Joan at half time with their skin crawling to get to those RVs, trucks, vans, cars, etc., full of booze, wacky backy, greasy burgers, etc., etc.

Offline mckayt

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2016, 11:24:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes!! What he said x 1000. This is insanity that this is such a big deal. My guess would be to wait till last minute to tell fans. It's freaking 20 minutes!  Stay in the stadium, listen to the band and enjoy being there!!

If you like to tailgate why not do that before and after the game? Why does it have to be during the game??

There will be no "last minute" announcement.  Why would there be?  Successful folks have plans and they implement them. Mike Hamrick knows he will piss a lot of people off if he would ever do this and he's not going to blindside his customers and give them a last minute announcement. Besides, so much would need to happen first to make this a reality. The stadium's current infrastructure would make a no pass out policy a logistic nightmare.

Why I or anybody else would want to tailgate at halftime has no affect on anybody else.  What is your problem with people doing that?  Is it that they leave or that they come back too late or that they don't come back at all? 

It's funny that people act like a new policy won't let people leave. That's obviously not true. A new policy just won't let them back in. People will still leave, they just won't come back. Sometimes I leave now and don't come back at all, so how would a no pass out policy change that situation?

People worry too much about what other people do. It's nobody's business what I do. Be glad I buy a ticket in the first place and help average the 24K attendance in a 38K capacity stadium. It's not like people are knocking our doors down to get in the stadium in the first place.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2016, 06:39:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There will be no "last minute" announcement.  Why would there be?  Successful folks have plans and they implement them. Mike Hamrick knows he will piss a lot of people off if he would ever do this and he's not going to blindside his customers and give them a last minute announcement. Besides, so much would need to happen first to make this a reality. The stadium's current infrastructure would make a no pass out policy a logistic nightmare.

Why I or anybody else would want to tailgate at halftime has no affect on anybody else.  What is your problem with people doing that?  Is it that they leave or that they come back too late or that they don't come back at all? 

It's funny that people act like a new policy won't let people leave. That's obviously not true. A new policy just won't let them back in. People will still leave, they just won't come back. Sometimes I leave now and don't come back at all, so how would a no pass out policy change that situation?

People worry too much about what other people do. It's nobody's business what I do. Be glad I buy a ticket in the first place and help average the 24K attendance in a 38K capacity stadium. It's not like people are knocking our doors down to get in the stadium in the first place.

Why would the stadium infrastructure cause a logistical nightmare if no pass out policy was implemented? There are ticket takers at each entrance. Once you're out no way you could come back in. If you try to re-scan the ticket it would be rejected since it will already be in the system as scanned.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline mckayt

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2016, 06:54:44 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Why would the stadium infrastructure cause a logistical nightmare if no pass out policy was implemented? There are ticket takers at each entrance. Once you're out no way you could come back in. If you try to re-scan the ticket it would be rejected since it will already be in the system as scanned.

Concourse areas, concessions, and restrooms couldn't handle all of the people.Those areas would be gridlock and would need to be upgraded and expanded before a no pass out policy could be implemented.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2016, 06:54:44 AM »

Offline Big City

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2016, 08:12:45 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Concourse areas, concessions, and restrooms couldn't handle all of the people.Those areas would be gridlock and would need to be upgraded and expanded before a no pass out policy could be implemented.

I would definitely agree with this. The current facility was designed to support around 30,000 people. It's even cramped at 30K. The stadium wasn't built to accommodate the expanded end zone seats and an additional 10-12,000 people. That end zone section should have facilities of their own both restroom and concessions.
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline coalherd

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would definitely agree with this. The current facility was designed to support around 30,000 people. It's even cramped at 30K. The stadium wasn't built to accommodate the expanded end zone seats and an additional 10-12,000 people. That end zone section should have facilities of their own both restroom and concessions.

But if you agree with mckayt, you'll note that he says we only have crowds of 24,000 or so.  So what's the problem if our stadium and facilities can accommodate 30K??

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2016, 04:39:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Concourse areas, concessions, and restrooms couldn't handle all of the people.Those areas would be gridlock and would need to be upgraded and expanded before a no pass out policy could be implemented.

Since I don't use the concessions or the restrooms after kickoff, I'm doing my part to help you guys out.
                   ----Lou Gehrig

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2016, 04:39:22 PM »