Author Topic: Another Big Green beer survey  (Read 10518 times)

Offline Marshall Faithful

• Junior Varsity
  • Member Since 01/2010
Re: Another Big Green beer survey
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2016, 10:54:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The other 27,00 could have a say as well for only $50 a year!

Yes. If you want a voice you have to participate. The choice is yours.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2016, 10:54:05 AM »

Offline Thunders

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2016, 12:34:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am 100% for selling beer inside the stadium, but will echo everyone else the food quality,# of vendors, and concourse area must be upgraded significantly if they are going to not allow pass outs.  For games when we are only averaging 20-25K the current concourse area is adequate, but when we have 30k+ it doesn't even feel safe.  

The problem is where do you expand to?  Plus there will still be a bottle neck between the elevators going up to the sky boxes and on the ends of the stadium.    

Plenty of room to expand the concourse. Buy honestly,  how often are we over 30k for a game? We don't have many UL or Purdue games so it's rare we need that space.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline mckayt

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2016, 01:36:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I disagree. Will make at least double that.

WVU nets $500K per season from beer sales.  I'll give you the $200K prediction for us and my original rationale stays the same.  It's not worth it for $200K.  Now if the beer sales also lead to increases in other profits, such as ticket sales, concessions, etc. then maybe it is worth it.  What if it leads to a decline in net overall revenue though?  

Y'all know what I'm pissed about.  I don't care that they sell beer, I care that they aren't going to let me back in the gate after halftime.  Are there people that will quit going to games because they now sell beer though?  

I don't know these answers, but I don't think it's automatic that selling beer and not letting people back in the game will lead to increased profits.  All actions create reactions, so we'll see what happens.

I doubt this happens this upcoming year anyway.  Too much would need to happen in a short period of time.  
    « Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:21:46 PM by mckayt »

Offline Thunders

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2016, 03:09:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think you will piss off a few people while whine about it but 2 years from now it will be the norm and no one will give a crap. They will conform or just not watch their team but if you implement this while winning and having the best recruting class on paper we have ever had then it's a much easier pill to swallow.
    Yoda says:    Blow the Mountaineers do!!

Offline MUther

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2016, 02:28:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think you will piss off a few people while whine about it but 2 years from now it will be the norm and no one will give a crap. They will conform or just not watch their team but if you implement this while winning and having the best recruting class on paper we have ever had then it's a much easier pill to swallow.

Good point.  Many have said they wished Marshall had capitalized on their winning ways in early '00's.  Now is the time for these decisions while demand is high.  And I said before that the sale of the beer isn't not the only place this brings in money for beer sales.  Advertising from beer companies will much stronger as a result of this.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2016, 08:10:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WVU nets $500K per season from beer sales.  I'll give you the $200K prediction for us and my original rationale stays the same.  It's not worth it for $200K.  

yeah, state budget cuts are so bad some people in the University will possibly lose their jobs, or open jobs just aren't going to be filled requiring current staff to double up. our tv contract is going to be reduced by around $500k. but an extra $200k? eh, who needs it...

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2016, 08:31:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • yeah, state budget cuts are so bad some people in the University will possibly lose their jobs, or open jobs just aren't going to be filled requiring current staff to double up. our tv contract is going to be reduced by around $500k. but an extra $200k? eh, who needs it...
    well put.
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline Pinkerton99

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2016, 09:59:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • yeah, state budget cuts are so bad some people in the University will possibly lose their jobs, or open jobs just aren't going to be filled requiring current staff to double up. our tv contract is going to be reduced by around $500k. but an extra $200k? eh, who needs it...

It sounds like it might be much worse than some people losing their jobs.  Tough decisions on the horizon for Marshall.
    Note: I'm not Eric Pinkerton.

Offline mckayt

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2016, 08:57:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

There was more to that post which you chose to ignore.   What if a $200K profit from beer sales results in a $201K loss in revenue from other sources?  Is a $200k potential profit for beer worth the risk?  What if it results in a $500k loss in other revenues?  I think it's a very big risk. West Virginians are different folk. The least little thing upsets us and we stick to our guns, regardless of the consequences. Look at our history. Time will tell with this proposed issue.
    « Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 09:21:03 PM by mckayt »

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2016, 10:29:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good point.  Many have said they wished Marshall had capitalized on their winning ways in early '00's.  Now is the time for these decisions while demand is high.  And I said before that the sale of the beer isn't not the only place this brings in money for beer sales.  Advertising from beer companies will much stronger as a result of this.

What do we have to indicate that "demand is high?"  We sell about 1/3 our capacity in season tickets and average attendance may be up just a tick (I'm not really sure).

I don't know my opinion yet given the two options.  MU better be very deliberate though in implementing it. 
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

Offline coalherd

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2016, 10:38:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It sounds like it might be much worse than some people losing their jobs.  Tough decisions on the horizon for Marshall.

Meanwhile, column in recent Charleston paper says that the state should NOT cut out $4.3 million dollars that the taxpayers send to WVU so that they can lease several floors of office space in the plush Waterfront building in downtown Morgantown.  The kicker:  the building is owned by the WVU foundation, including some well heeled alums and business interests in MO-town.  Now, the same foundation is touting how it is being so successful raising nearly a billion $$$ in its latest campaign!!

Question?  Why in the hell doesn't the WVU use some of its assets and pay the $4.3 million annually so that WVU can have this space?  Answer:  why waste the foundation's money when they can get their WVU sycophants and dupes in the legislature and state Government overall stick the general public, i.e., taxpayers for this expense.  Meanwhile, more vital and pressing government services, including basic services and needs in public schools, and other state colleges NOT located in Morgantown, will be cut, go unmet, etc., etc.  Where in the hell is the Cabell-Wayne delegation, who should be looking out for MU, in all this?  Not a peep that I've heard of!!  Same-O, Same-O BS in West-By-God!!

Offline svherd

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2016, 12:32:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • While on the subject of legislative bills. Is the bill to amend the pop tax still alive? It would have given finds to Marshall and WVSOP in it's new form.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2016, 12:32:13 PM »

Offline MUther

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2016, 11:24:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What do we have to indicate that "demand is high?"  We sell about 1/3 our capacity in season tickets and average attendance may be up just a tick (I'm not really sure).

I don't know my opinion yet given the two options.  MU better be very deliberate though in implementing it. 

I did make an assumption that while we're winning we'll snowball attendance somewhat and we have 7 games this year at home.  Even if we don't increase attendance, the people that are going will not want to miss a game, especially those that attended all through the Snyder era.  I don't think we're likely to lose attendance over this issue while in an upswing qualitywise.  I do believe if marketed correctly this could increase attendance substantially.  People are gonna be at least curious.

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • As Coco the clown once said, "Quit clowning around".  For goodness sakes either sell or don't sell it.

TRS
    MU 71

HerdFans.com

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »