Author Topic: Baker flips to WKU  (Read 12648 times)

Offline jsbowen

Re: Baker flips to WKU
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 09:48:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • not a very solid reason to pick the school where you are going to spend the next 4 to 5 years of your life.  i always understood him and his family were big Marshall fans?  May be something he will regret.  I wish him well, but cant help to think this may be a mistake. 

Isn't this how we got Cato - he followed Shuler here.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 09:48:01 PM »

Offline banker

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 09:49:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Funny thing is that Baker was wearing Marshall gear to his wku visit and they still flipped him.

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 10:06:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I see several on here commenting how bad this class could be star wise... Just went back looking at the rivals charts...

4 stars
    Houston
    AJL
    McManus
    AJ Leggett
    Brian Robinson

3 stars
    Lots but the hit rate is at best 50%.

2 stars.
    This is where the staff has made the moves.
    2010- had swag, Scott, Myers, Sparrow, Haig, Gator
    2011- Sweed, Mckvey and Cortez Carter who played special teams I believe all four years.
    2012- DJ, Tindal, Cincotta, Gary Thompson
    2013- Blackmon, Pittman, Collins, Hunt, Selby and Lang
    2014- Bee, Beniot, Davis, Dowery, Harris, One, Rowe and Yuracheck
    2015 has Byrd.

While we love stars several of the players above in the 2 star are our foundation. So far outside of McManus our 4 stars have had some trouble to put mildly. Our 3 stars have been valuable but some years we have more 2 than 3. It's just a process I trust Doc to know.

Offline jamez009

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 10:09:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Brian Robinson lol wow, there's a name I forgot, I remember I was all excited we "got" him

~j

Offline Herdfan2005

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 10:10:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Your point validates my argument that I have had with people for years.  Star ratings really are pointless.

Offline jamez009

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 10:15:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't believe star ratings are pointless, they're a pretty good tool to measure athletic ability but they're not the be-all-end-all Gospel truth since several other factors go into making a good/great football player.  Normally national championship contenders are full of 4 and 5 star recruits, so I'd rather have those than the 2s and 3s as a whole, but of course there are several exceptions both ways, 4s and 5s can be busts and 2s and 3s can be hidden gems, late bloomers or underexposed stars

~j

Offline herdman

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 10:16:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe Brohm is headed to UGA and Doc to WKU?  Then, our resident *&$#@* can be happy...while Doc's new team kicks our heads in every year.

Like Doc hammers WKU, Ohio, and Midd Tenn?

Offline herdman

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 10:17:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Your point validates my argument that I have had with people for years.  Star ratings really are pointless.

So how many games would Nick Saban win if he had our recruiting classes?

Offline Apollo

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 10:21:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So how many games would Nick Saban win if he had our recruiting classes?

I'd bet more than we do. He's a developmentally minded coach who hires assistants that can develop players and make sensible gameplans. I hate alabama but if you think for a minute he and his staff wouldn't win more games you're delusional.

Offline jamez009

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 10:34:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes, Saban would win more. That's why he makes $7 million a year.

~j

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2015, 10:41:07 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I heard the same. Wants to go to school with his high school bud.

Hello Doc......offer the other local kid too and see if Baker stays.

Offline jamez009

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2015, 10:46:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hello Doc......offer the other local kid too and see if Baker stays.

That's not a good precedent to set unless you believe Baker is a program changer

~j

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2015, 10:46:11 PM »

Offline banker

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 12:35:55 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Baker is quoted as saying he fell in love with their play calling and the way they get the ball in the hands of their playmakers.

He saw our Legg offense and their offense head to head and there was a big enough difference to make him change his mind.

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #38 on: December 01, 2015, 05:54:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Baker is quoted as saying he fell in love with their play calling and the way they get the ball in the hands of their playmakers.

He saw our Legg offense and their offense head to head and there was a big enough difference to make him change his mind.

Baker: "I just fell in love with the playcalling at Western. They just know how to get the ball in playmakers' hands, and they do it often."
    https://twitter.com/MarshallTBlog/status/671551023329116160

Offline MrRobertPruett

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2015, 06:20:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah I'm sure it had nothing to do with the emergence of Hyleck Foster, or Pittman or Davis or the kid who's propping this year or even maybe the Mitchell kid. RB is perhaps our deepest position and I wouldn't worry about a kid who doesn't want to be hear.

Offline Herdfan73

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2015, 06:43:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If recruiting is over this will be the worst class I can ever remember.

Especially disappointing considering we just unveiled some amazing facilities, and are coming off one of our best seasons ever.

Offline Herdfan73

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2015, 06:46:09 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah I'm sure it had nothing to do with the emergence of Hyleck Foster, or Pittman or Davis or the kid who's propping this year or even maybe the Mitchell kid. RB is perhaps our deepest position and I wouldn't worry about a kid who doesn't want to be hear.

You mean the group of guys he watched amass 37 yards Friday?

Offline Greg H

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2015, 06:48:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You mean the group of guys he watched amass 37 yards Friday?

So you contend that RB is a weakness?  Or are you just finding some reason that Doc and company suck?

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2015, 07:06:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So how many games would Nick Saban win if he had our recruiting classes?

Fun hypothetical there. But let's go one a little less. Iowa.

In 5 years they have had 11 four stars. More than us, but it's not like their kids are getting bumped a star because of where they sign.

Their offense goes QB is a 3*. Their leading WR and RB were 2*. Then the fun part... The OL has 2 4*, 1 3* and 2 walk ons starting.

Their DL is 1 4*, 1 3*, 2 2*.. LB is 3* and 2 2* secondary is all 3*(one is a WR convert)

Would anyone disagree the Herd compare favorably to this line up? But they are in contention for a NC.

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2015, 07:49:43 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think we can say stars are of no consequence because they do mean quite a lot, however, more importantly is who offered the player. Take a look at those schools who made a legitimate offer and you will get a much better perspective of the present talent level of a prospect.

Offline Greg H

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2015, 08:31:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Fun hypothetical there. But let's go one a little less. Iowa.

In 5 years they have had 11 four stars. More than us, but it's not like their kids are getting bumped a star because of where they sign.

Their offense goes QB is a 3*. Their leading WR and RB were 2*. Then the fun part... The OL has 2 4*, 1 3* and 2 walk ons starting.

Their DL is 1 4*, 1 3*, 2 2*.. LB is 3* and 2 2* secondary is all 3*(one is a WR convert)

Would anyone disagree the Herd compare favorably to this line up? But they are in contention for a NC.

So we go to one of the best turnaround stories of the last 20 years.  Because that's realistic.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2015, 08:32:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Guys there was a pretty good chance QB played slot for us and a chance he could be a kick returner.  Anyway best of luck to him if he doesn't want to be here I don't want him here
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2015, 08:32:05 AM »

Online svherd

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 08:34:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

WKU returns all their backs from this year plus the Allen kid - their stud, will get a medical redshirt and be back next year. I am thinking he saw our putrid offense and the same 3-4 plays and then saw WKU's dynamic offense and saw the light. Legg may be the coach rumored to be leaving. Have to say, wouldn't hurt my feelings. Cato made Legg look like Brohm.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online MUonium

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2015, 08:48:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i thought i read that wku gets all their OL back, as well.  would you want to run behind theirs or ours nxt yr?  all they need is a QB and people say we'll runthem over..not so fast...and then there's mtsu who has our number and who knows who else will pop up to disappoint delusion

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 09:21:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So we go to one of the best turnaround stories of the last 20 years.  Because that's realistic.

Best turn around? They were 7-6 with several of those loses less than 3 points...

And as for realistic it's college football. Many fans of many teams need that R word.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 09:21:39 AM »