Author Topic: Basketball  (Read 21534 times)

Offline MUonium

Re: Basketball
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2015, 09:49:47 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Tennessee lost to GT last night. 

by 2 and it was basket for basket all the way.  they're not that big but the potential is always there and Barnes will get it done there.  maybe the Herd will surprise

HerdFans.com

« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2015, 09:49:47 AM »

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2015, 10:00:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have one concern and that is Edmonds' health. If he is well or gets to 100% then there is no reason we shouldn't be better. Same coach....more talent. It's not rocket science.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2015, 10:33:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't buy this DD "system" talk.  Either your players have the talent to out shoot, out play, out score the other team or they don't.  A "system" and/or good coaching may get you more wins than not against equally talented teams, but in the end talent wins most of the time.  We lack high talent players.....period.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2015, 11:13:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well that depends on your definition of talent. In basketball, most ppl confuse athleticism with talent.

The system is about pick and roll, back door cuts, dribble/penetration, kick for an open three when it's there.

This team seems to be falling in love with the 3, but part of that is most likely because 2 of our better guards haven't played yet.

This is really just year 1 for DD. He got hired extremely late and didn't really get an off-season with them.

Online The Right Stuff

« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2015, 11:59:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I apologize for getting testy.  I am very passionate about coach D and the direction our program is taking.  Besides I am on steroids again for my COPD and they always fire me up. Give them a chance that is all anyone asks.  It is going to be a work in progress.  Marshall is not going to get the McDonald's All Americans or highly rated star wise recruits.  Coach had to get rid of kids that might have been talented but were also not very good people as a result he had to bring in 10 new people that he now is trying to fit a system and mesh together as a team.  If we can keep kids healthy and a few of the newcomers buy into the system this team could make some noise in conference play, but the league did not do MU any favors by scheduling long road trips throughout the season.  That will be tough on young kids.  If you see the coaches out and about or the players go up to them and courage them they really appreciate the kind words. Again these kids are much more receptive to that type of  encouragement than some of those in the past.

TRS
    MU 71

Online wasbarryb

« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2015, 12:09:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I apologize for getting testy.  I am very passionate about coach D and the direction our program is taking.  Besides I am on steroids again for my COPD and they always fire me up. Give them a chance that is all anyone asks.  It is going to be a work in progress.  Marshall is not going to get the McDonald's All Americans or highly rated star wise recruits.  Coach had to get rid of kids that might have been talented but were also not very good people as a result he had to bring in 10 new people that he now is trying to fit a system and mesh together as a team.  If we can keep kids healthy and a few of the newcomers buy into the system this team could make some noise in conference play, but the league did not do MU any favors by scheduling long road trips throughout the season.  That will be tough on young kids.  If you see the coaches out and about or the players go up to them and courage them they really appreciate the kind words. Again these kids are much more receptive to that type of  encouragement than some of those in the past.

TRS
    MU 71

Extremism in defense of the Herd is no vice TRS.

Offline HerdHead

« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2015, 01:25:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I have one concern and that is Edmonds' health. If he is well or gets to 100% then there is no reason we shouldn't be better. Same coach....more talent. It's not rocket science.

I'm with ya... but should also factor in what looks like (on paper anyway) a more difficult schedule. 

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2015, 01:51:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • by 2 and it was basket for basket all the way.  they're not that big but the potential is always there and Barnes will get it done there.  maybe the Herd will surprise

I don't know anything about them this year but Georgia Tech was absolutely awful last year.  Can't imagine they are too much better this year. 

Bottom line is Tennessee can't be that good.  They are a very beatable team but then again.....

Offline Herdfan2005

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Georgia Tech has to be good.  Tom Herrion is their assistant coach lol

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2015, 02:35:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Georgia Tech has to be good.  Tom Herrion is their assistant coach lol

They only won 2 or 3 games in the ACC last year so nowhere to go but up for ole Tom.   :P

Online 2xBison

« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2015, 04:00:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Kareem Canty has 19 pts for auburn at the half vs Colorodo.  7/8 shooting 5/6 on threes
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Online SuperAnjario

« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2015, 04:09:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You can't compare GW beating UVA to a division II school that no one has ever heard of beating the Herd. 

We may be better, but losing to ANY division II school under any circumstance is not OK.  Y'all need to separate these things.  We can coexist.  Just because losing to the division II school is unnaceeptable doesn't mean we hate DD or even think he's bad.  We've not given up.  It doesn't mean we're automatically going to be awful.  It's just really strong evidence.

Losing to a division II team is never, ever OK.  I hope we're better.  I'm not excited about the team, but I'm hopeful. 

HerdFans.com

« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2015, 04:09:57 PM »

Offline Luke80

« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2015, 04:11:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Did you pick that up from ESPN or did he tweet it at halftime?

Online The Right Stuff

« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't want anyone on my team that keeps bad mouthing the school and community on social media. What I say about Canty is good riddance to bad rubbish.  I don't care how many points he scores.

TRS
    MU 71

Online herd2win

« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • TH could bring in some big time talent he just couldn't manage it so it became chaos...DD needs to up the ante in talent or we will be stuck with sub 10 win teams.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2015, 08:17:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

TRS
    MU 71

Right Stuff, don't disagree generally with your comments.  But you might want to be a little careful when you start painting with a broad brush about "not good people".  From last year's team, Boykins and Manning were juniors and apparently "invited" to leave; believe Boykins got his MU degree and Manning transferred to a school in Kentucky, his home state.  No evidence that either had caused much "trouble" while at MU.  Sane and Kambola were seniors and exhausted their eligibility; again, no real evidence of them being any sort of "trouble makers".  Now Shawn Smith was a senior but was hurt in November; believe he transferred to a school in California, his home state.  Johnson, a juco, left after his junior season.  May not have agreed with Coach D's system and may have decided to try and play elsewhere.  Just cannot say, from any public knowledge, that any of these former Herd players were "not good people".

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2015, 08:29:44 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Did you pick that up from ESPN or did he tweet it at halftime?

Nice. LOL

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #117 on: November 17, 2015, 08:36:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Johnnyherd, not sure that DD would walk away with 2 million.  Hell, from all the info you can find, don't believe DD is making close to what we were paying Herrion.  Heard he took the job for a lot less, probably could check MU salaries under WV state employees Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).  Hopefully Danny will have an overall successful tenure at MU and when he does leave, hopefully under good terms for all involved, it will be of his choosing, and that the MU basketball program will be in a lot better shape than he found it!!!

I wouldn't doubt that he makes less than Herrion....It took nearly a year to put together a small raise for Doc.....

And for the record I don't doubt for a second that Dan can coach his butt off, but in DI, if you don't feed your program solid players it won't matter....

That's really most of our worry - can he get the players to win  You don't recruit as a High School coach and you don't recruit as an NBA assistant....So that worries me and I'm sure more -

I'm sure if Dan Dantioni had Steve Nash, Shawn Marion, Amari Stodilmire and Jalen Rose playing for him at Marshall this year we'd win the national championship....but we have a mix of marginal type guys...

Online The Right Stuff

« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You are right coalherd those were good kids.  I should have been more specific but I didn't want to name names, but I think most knew who I was referring to without calling them out.

TRS
    MU 71

Online 2xBison

« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2015, 09:21:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I know we were missing players but last game we looked slow and the ball movement was lacking
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline Luke80

« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2015, 11:26:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are 200 playing time minutes in a regulation NCAA game. When we get into the season I would expect Tayor and Kelly to average 30 minutes a game. I also expect Elmore and Browing to play 20 per game. If that happens, then those 4 players would absorb one-half the total PT.  Against Newberry Taylor played 10 percent of the total PT minutes and of course the other 3 played none.  On the other hand, walk-ons that likely will not see the floor during the games that matter played 41 minutes. On average that meant there would have been a walk-on on the floor at all times on Sunday. That might impact things like ball movement and overall play.

On another note I saw that Canty's 2nd half was not Quite as good as his first. 2 of 9 overall and 0 for 6 on threes as Auburn lost.
    « Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 04:37:32 AM by Luke80 »

Offline pembrook burrows III

« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2015, 12:26:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bet Canty didn't tweet that.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2015, 12:26:57 AM »

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2015, 06:44:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I believe DD could get some of the same type and quality players we have been getting for the last few yrs like Pitts, Tinnon etc. Maybe not any more at one time than Herrion did tho. I believe with the contacts that the assistants have and DDs too we could capitalize on the fact that kids do know about the Herd. I don't think its an inability to recruit but rather a belief on his part that he can win with kids who fly under the radar but who will work hard, do what they're told and get better. Shooters and dedication to a system will win the day. We will have to wait a while to find out if his ideas are correct or not. I am hopeful about Elmore, Edmonds, Loop, Taylor and Kelly down the stretch. Worried about next yr without two of those however. Maybe Thompson and Bledsoe to the rescue. Thompson had a pile of rebounds Sunday.

Online The Right Stuff

« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2015, 12:12:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Good assessment BHFIOHIO of the type of kids that coach Dantoni is looking to bring into the program.  Again the McDonald's All American will not be suiting up for the Herd unless it is a real unique situation, but that doesn't mean we can't be successful.

TRS
    MU 71

Offline carolinaherdfan

« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2015, 03:54:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Dr. Lee Moon, former AD at We Are, intentionally sabotaged our one famous for 30-40 year top 50 basketball program, because he was in on where the money would b...love him or hate him he did great things. Always one of Universities great AD's. Mike Hamrick, my generation, has an opportunity of becoming the greatest ever.

Basketball, took a nose dive, and has never been able to get legs since. Dan, who is a great guy, alumn, and coach is putting a bandaid I n the real MU problem.

We set between UK, OSU, and WVU, now with today's Internet and parity, how far are we being able to sustain a good BB, FB, and minor sports program. It takes money. I know of FCS programs that are more expensive then MU, not to mention We Are...in West Virginia.....let's help out OUR University. Ky. SC., OH, WV, NC, Va.....

HerdFans.com

« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2015, 03:54:46 PM »