Author Topic: New Hoops signing  (Read 12031 times)

Offline Luke80

New Hoops signing
« on: July 17, 2015, 07:11:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • http://www.herdzone.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/071715aaa.html

Looks like he knows how to dunk

Can't really learn much from that video.

HerdFans.com

New Hoops signing
    « on: July 17, 2015, 07:11:42 PM »

Offline FlyHawk98

Re: New Hoops signing
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 10:40:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is some of the worst basketball I have ever seen. They were not even contending his dunks.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 11:26:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Obvious from picture that he has never been inside a weight room for any significant period of time.  At 6'9" he has a frame that can be strengthened/bulked up.  Wonder if he might redshirt this coming season since we have the big Serb from last season plus another foreign "big" in this year's recruiting class.  Plus we have the "power" forward type in Kelly, the transfer from Miami and another forward (Thompson?), a 6'7" juco transfer.

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 11:27:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That is some of the worst basketball I have ever seen. They were not even contending his dunks.

You did not see the second video with the signee & Sid Finch trading 3 & 3 & 3 for about an half hour with missing only two or three shots.....

Sid had no eligibility but this kid is something to behold!!!! :P :P :P :-*

Offline MUonium

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 01:54:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • wow, DD must owe somebody big time in that part of the world  ;D  dang, aren't there any american kids out there  ???  in all seriousness, hope it all comes together

Offline miltonherdfan

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 07:42:42 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • well, dan's looking for shooters.  & american kids, by & large, can't shoot anymore.  all they wanna do is make an xbox move to get to the hoop & then throw up a prayer.  & everyone knows they can't make a foul shot.

Offline MUonium

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 08:17:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • well, dan's looking for shooters.  & american kids, by & large, can't shoot anymore.  all they wanna do is make an xbox move to get to the hoop & then throw up a prayer.  & everyone knows they can't make a foul shot.
    good morning Milton. i'm 100% behind Herd BB, and DD has recruited exactly as he said he would. but i'd be interested in some stats to back up "Americans can't shoot". in truth i'd like to see american kids, as much as possible, get those EDU monies, regardless of where those $s come from. It appears from what i've seen, Mijovic and Nikolic are going to be long-term works-in-progress, but no doubt, seem like good kids

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 08:43:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • good morning Milton. i'm 100% behind Herd BB, and DD has recruited exactly as he said he would. but i'd be interested in some stats to back up "Americans can't shoot".

This is only my opinion, but ignore stats and watch NBA draft stuff. AAU has killed American shooting for bigs as has an attempt to emulate the European game. For American bigs pick and dive then look for garbage points has became the game. For euros it is pick and pop. Pau, Marc, Mirotic, illyasova can hit and stretch from anywhere. (I argue Marc is the only one who grasped the physical to be complete. But prime Pau was crazy to watch.)

Notice these are all bigs. Klay, Curry, Harden, Durant, Lebron and so on can shoot. Herdfans need to understand DD is probably going to recruit overseas for his PF and Centers. On the sole purpose the American game isn't practicing kids to his system.

Offline jstherd

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 09:02:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Two absurd statements:

"This kid is something to behold!"

"American kids can't shoot anymore."

Offline MUonium

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 09:20:20 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is only my opinion, but ignore stats and watch NBA draft stuff. AAU has killed American shooting for bigs as has an attempt to emulate the European game. For American bigs pick and dive then look for garbage points has became the game. For euros it is pick and pop. Pau, Marc, Mirotic, illyasova can hit and stretch from anywhere. (I argue Marc is the only one who grasped the physical to be complete. But prime Pau was crazy to watch.)

Notice these are all bigs. Klay, Curry, Harden, Durant, Lebron and so on can shoot. Herdfans need to understand DD is probably going to recruit overseas for his PF and Centers. On the sole purpose the American game isn't practicing kids to his system.
    Good points Scotty. I understand the new? Euro "complete" and the DD spread, pic pop and i saw some improvement from the 2 young kids i mentioned on system, role and D, but so far they can't jump or shoot well, especially under pressure from the american kids (physicality, athleticism). we'll have to wait and see on Dozic and Penava....good luck to em all!

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 09:32:22 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hate to make comparisons to already established players, but Nikolic reminded me of a Ricky Rubio. He's another Euro who can't shoot, but his passes and D effort are off the chart. The problem with Rubio was he never developed a shot because he didn't have to, even in the NBA. (ala Rondo, Kidd till he lost athleticism) I hope Dantoni can work magic and develop that shot.

Online 2xBison

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    uh yes.  You never see American kids chuck 3 after 3
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »

Offline The Right Stuff

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 05:31:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He seems to have more of an upside than Milan.  My thoughts are he gets up and down the court very well.  He can shoot from outside.  He is a  long body and should be able to cause some problems for the other team on defense.  On the downside he sure is thin.  He could use some of Milan's pounds who  by the was people say has really trimmed up.  I have heard from anywhere between 20 and 60 pounds. The competition in the video seems very suspect.  I couldn't tell if it were a Y pick up game or a scrimmage.  It really seems that coach D is planning for the future.  All of his recruits seem to be a year or 2 away from really developing, and that isn't really that bad of a plan.  I look for this team in two or three years to be similar to a Davidson which isn't that bad.  A cerebral team that gets up and down and can drain the three.  I am excited.

TRS
    MU 71

Online elginherd

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 08:22:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He seems to have more of an upside than Milan.  My thoughts are he gets up and down the court very well.  He can shoot from outside.  He is a  long body and should be able to cause some problems for the other team on defense.  On the downside he sure is thin.  He could use some of Milan's pounds who  by the was people say has really trimmed up.  I have heard from anywhere between 20 and 60 pounds. The competition in the video seems very suspect.  I couldn't tell if it were a Y pick up game or a scrimmage.  It really seems that coach D is planning for the future.  All of his recruits seem to be a year or 2 away from really developing, and that isn't really that bad of a plan.  I look for this team in two or three years to be similar to a Davidson which isn't that bad.  A cerebral team that gets up and down and can drain the three.  I am excited.

TRS
    MU 71

I more-or-less agree. What DD wants to do is to have positions 1-5 be skilled enough to run pick-n-rolls, pick-n-pops, off-ball pick-n-fades, etc, etc as both ball-handlers & shooters. In addition, he wants the players to be able to function at a high level without constant input from the bench. I do agree that he is looking to recruit players that need to develop but have high potential. For mid-majors, that is probably the way to go. The foreign players he is bringing in probably have ambitions to play pro ball. The high level European, Israeli & Asian leagues love natives who have NCAA experience.   
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 08:32:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall is light years from Davidson. We simply need to recognize what many felt all along, Dan has not dealt with recruiting for 30 years, saying he prefers recruiting players with potential suggests he is not able to attract quality players now. Kevin Keatts in his second year at UNCW has a roster loaded with quality recruits, a much different outcome.

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 08:58:46 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall is light years from Davidson. We simply need to recognize what many felt all along, Dan has not dealt with recruiting for 30 years, saying he prefers recruiting players with potential suggests he is not able to attract quality players now. Kevin Keatts in his second year at UNCW has a roster loaded with quality recruits, a much different outcome.

I gotta disagree on the potential front and attracting quality players. Dan recruiting internationals is all about potential. Internationals take time, but when/if they get "it" they usually have such great footwork already that they become as good as the top players.

DD is recruiting for system not for stars. As with Mike in the NBA the system makes the players. After the disfinction of some Herd players in the last 5-6 years I'm open to atleast the idea

Online chris88

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Let's not go overboard.  We had 2 overseas guys last year if I recall and only one played significant minutes.  And imo for a true freshman who played on a ragtag team without a true point gaurd he did pretty well. The GS Warriors won the NBA title with a system very similar to ours and Witchita State has done pretty well with it as well. 
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline MUonium

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2015, 09:43:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i don't pretend to know how the BB program operates and know what became of the argument that his assist coach hires were questionable concerning recruiting experience but to me it was a legit argument. i understand building program/philosophy for the long term but at some point Herd BB fans will become restless about wanting a winner. Henderson is getting what, 4K butts in the seats?? at first glance, it appears many fans, legitimately spooked by Herrion's spaz, think that american kids that may be available to the Herd are going to be automatic troublemakers.
    i was basically hoping that the final available 2015 scholly might produce a last minute plug n play diamond. and who knows, this team may pleasantly surprise.   
    « Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 09:57:13 AM by MUonium »

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2015, 10:11:01 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like the fact we beat two of the top 4 conf teams at home last yr with what I perceived to be mediocre talent as far as Marshall teams in the past. If you believe what we are hearing, Kelly, Elmore, Browning and Thompson should bolster team talent. I see Edmonds' health a critical factor. Esprit de corps, discipline and system will help but talent has to be present. I'm really excited to see Elmore, Browning and Kelly. Burks also. Will Alex be a starter? Lotsa guards with hype. Loop a surprise last yr. etc etc

Offline MUonium

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 10:50:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • i agree and kudos to Loop...no doubt the bench is deeper especially at the 1 2 3. ball handling/control/assists/steals/transition should improve. jury is out on shooting including FTs. D must improve...hope the 3 4 5s disrupt/block shots better. i guess finding the right 5 at critical times is also key

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2015, 12:03:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm so confused by this TBH.

This is the same system that West Liberty runs. They ALWAYS manage to find a 6'8'' guy from Ohio who is much better than this kid.

That video is, well, pathetic to say the least.

Offline rvntx

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Only time will tell.....

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »

Offline Luke80

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2015, 05:10:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think that this recruit looks bad on that video. My point was that you could not tell how good he is because he was not playing against anyone.  I am prepared to project that this recruit will be better than Yous Mbao who shot under 50% on dunks during his career. The young man is tall and appears to be coordinated, I am confident that he can put on some muscle. Like Herdmeister I will trust Dan's judgment until I am given a good reason not to.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2015, 05:19:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • doesn't mean everything but a 6'9 guy who can go behind his back at mid court on the dribble gets my attention...hope that was him?

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2015, 07:52:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like it . Dan is more qualified than I to make decisions that affect the future of Herd BB
    "The Herd #1"

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2015, 07:52:15 PM »