Author Topic: Its Appy. Meh.  (Read 14475 times)

Offline goherd24

Re: Its Appy. Meh.
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2015, 11:48:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like the series, but the hype for this announcement about a team of that caliber was ridiculous.

Agreed

HerdFans.com

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2015, 11:48:40 PM »

Offline goherd24

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2015, 11:52:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like it. Let's not forget these guys beat Michigan. In 5+ years these guys could be in a better conference and be perceived as a better team than they are now. Boone is a trip I've always wanted to make as well.

Having one team that got lucky and beat a bad michigan team years ago doesn't mean anything. They are still a bottom of the barrel no name school. Not a Maryland, or UNC or Penn state, or even an Indiana.

Offline MUther

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2015, 12:12:39 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Having one team that got lucky and beat a bad michigan team years ago doesn't mean anything. They are still a bottom of the barrel no name school. Not a Maryland, or UNC or Penn state, or even an Indiana.

We're playing an Indiana this year, or more specifically a Purdue.  The guys in the know rank our schedule dead last.  Might as well have a fun game nearby when the perception will be the same either way.

Offline Thundering In MD

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2015, 02:06:34 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BRING ON FURMAN...we are...not scared!!!!
    Twitter:  @ThunderingInMD

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2015, 06:17:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After last season, I cannot believe Hamrick agreed to a 1-1 with Appy.  They should be coming to us on a 1 & done opening game, or 2-1 at the least.  It's a step backwards for Marshall football to go 1-1 with ASU.  Dumb move MH.

Offline Big City

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2015, 06:58:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • After last season, I cannot believe Hamrick agreed to a 1-1 with Appy.  They should be coming to us on a 1 & done opening game, or 2-1 at the least.  It's a step backwards for Marshall football to go 1-1 with ASU.  Dumb move MH.

Yes and unfortunately the standard has now been set
    IronMan & Multisport Athlete
    2 x American Triple T Finisher
    Celebrated beer drinker

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2015, 07:40:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is likely a game that is replacing what would be us playing an FCS school. Think about that. We're playing an old rival who is FBS instead of a Norfolk State or Rhode Island. I swear, Mike could schedule Michigan State and our fans would complain it wasn't Michigan.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2015, 07:47:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • lol

Offline Flat Tire 2

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2015, 09:00:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bottom line, this game will not attract the "causal" fan that MU needs to increase attendance and revenue.

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • This is likely a game that is replacing what would be us playing an FCS school. Think about that. We're playing an old rival who is FBS instead of a Norfolk State or Rhode Island. I swear, Mike could schedule Michigan State and our fans would complain it wasn't Michigan.
    and inevitably following those complaints would be responses from a handful of fans gargling mike's balls
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2015, 09:03:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ....Mike could schedule Michigan State and our fans would complain it wasn't Michigan.

Not one person would do that. There is nothing analogous between frustration over calling a 1-1 with Appy "big news", and scheduling MSU instead of UM.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2015, 09:09:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Bottom line, this game will not attract the "causal" fan that MU needs to increase attendance and revenue.

bottom line, 98% of fbs schools wouldn't attract the "casual" fan

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2015, 09:09:26 AM »

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2015, 09:11:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not one person would do that. There is nothing analogous between frustration over calling a 1-1 with Appy "big news", and scheduling MSU instead of UM.

It was obviously an exaggerated hypothetical about how our fans will always find something to complain about. If this were the fourth OOC game scheduled in 2021 making it Navy, ECU, App and an FCS school I'd be upset too. But it's not, it's a third OOC game likely taking the place of an FCS game.    

So if 2021 ends up looking like @Navy, @App, ECU, and say oh I don't know, Maryland at home or some other regional P5. Is everyone still going to complain about our schedule and playing Appy? Because that would be a near perfect OOC schedule if you ask me.

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2015, 09:12:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ...they were lucky to have brought 5-700 fans.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a MAC school bring 500 to a game and certainly would be rare to see 500 traveling fans from our CUSA opponents, except perhaps ECU. 5-700 sounds like a lot relative to what we are used to seeing from the traveling teams. I'm not saying I like the 1-1, just that it seems like more than the average we ever see from opposing fan attendance.

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2015, 09:18:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ....how our fans will always find something to complain about.

That does happen. But in this case, it reads like the prevalent complaint is the "big news" announcement winding up to be a 1-1 with Appy. There may be lesser noise if that was not what the administration called it. We have not had good scheduling. The reasons are not the responsibility of the fans. The frustration over it is a the natural response from fans

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2015, 09:25:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That does happen. But in this case, it reads like the prevalent complaint is the "big news" announcement winding up to be a 1-1 with Appy. There may be lesser noise if that was not what the administration called it. We have not had good scheduling. The reasons are not the responsibility of the fans. The frustration over it is a the natural response from fans

Fair enough. I didn't see the tweet so I wasn't anticipating some major announcement. I just saw we were going to be playing Appy, a school on a short list of regional G5's I was interested in playing, and liked it.
    « Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:37:09 AM by MUsince96 »

Offline clovenhoof

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yeah, I searched the news leading up to the announcement. How he gets that Appy deserves a Major Announcement is beyond me.
    "Oh just calm down and write that check for the Vision Campaign..."  Thundering In MD

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2015, 09:55:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

It isn't the same as nobody is playing at Rhode Island.  That is the problem with this.  1 for 1 with a Sunbelt school in its infancy in FBS.  Appy fans are dancing in the streets.  As they should be.  They fleeced Hamrick.

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2015, 09:58:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It was obviously an exaggerated hypothetical about how our fans will always find something to complain about. If this were the fourth OOC game scheduled in 2021 making it Navy, ECU, App and an FCS school I'd be upset too. But it's not, it's a third OOC game likely taking the place of an FCS game.    

So if 2021 ends up looking like @Navy, @App, ECU, and say oh I don't know, Maryland at home or some other regional P5. Is everyone still going to complain about our schedule and playing Appy? Because that would be a near perfect OOC schedule if you ask me.

The inverse of that is what if it ends up being an away game at another Sunbelt team.  It is easy to pretend it will be some Power 5 at home but most likely it will not be.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2015, 10:01:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • It is easy to pretend it will be some Power 5 at home but most likely it will not be.

I'm not sure why you think that's most likely, when Hamrick has scheduled 6 home games every year and has scheduled at least 1 P5 game every year (last year was an aberration due to Louisville having to move the game for the ACC)

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2015, 10:19:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not true. Last time they were here and we spanked them, they were lucky to have brought 5-700 fans. I remember sitting in my seats looking over in disbelief of how poor their following was. People can spin this any way they want but the truth is its a big letdown for most of the herd faithful. Nobody cares about Appy State anymore. Maybe in the old 1-AA years it meant something but not anymore. Huge letdown IMO. The way this thing was being talked up I thought we were looking to announce something with an SEC, ACC or Big Ten school.

Marshall didn't talk anything up. A tweet said we were announcing a home-home today. You guys do this to yourselves.

What team in our division brings 700 people? What team in the MAC brings 700 people (besides Ohio the last 2 times?)

I can see them bringing a few thousand. They are no longer in FCS with a lot of close games. They travel pretty far for games, plus they still remember the rivalry, and kind of look up to us since we have had FBS success.

I say they bring 1,500-3,000 fans. Just a guess on my part though.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2015, 10:20:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Yep, pretty much.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2015, 10:20:52 AM »

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2015, 10:26:08 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yes and unfortunately the standard has now been set

LOL. Could you guys just think for ohhhh, I dunno 25-30 seconds here.

Hamrick calls P5s all the time and says we will only do a 1-1. What do you think their response would be if they heard we were saying this to them, while also demanding 2-1s from other G5 schools?

So Miss is also playing there, and so is Wake Forest.

App St has respect among FBS football ADs.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #73 on: June 25, 2015, 11:10:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I often wonder if ultimate goal with scheduling us the easiest, or near the easiest schedule in the nation year in year out is to over inflate our image of football success and to eventually get people in the athletic dept better jobs...

But, I honestly like the game against Appy and it's only a two game series....No harm in that....

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2015, 12:58:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Gargle gargle
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2015, 12:58:39 PM »