Author Topic: Its Appy. Meh.  (Read 14476 times)

Offline BHFIOHIO

Re: Its Appy. Meh.
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We cant get the OOC schedule filled with the contract conf teams. We don't want many FCS teams. That leaves the Go5. I doubt seriously we will be loved at Kent or Miami lowhio either. Ditto Akron. The very first time at ODU fans experienced hecklers outside the stadium. The more we win, the more we are hated. That's college FB.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2015, 03:29:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1) We cant get the OOC schedule filled with the contract conf teams.

2) We don't want many FCS teams.

That leaves the Go5. I doubt seriously we will be loved at Kent or Miami lowhio either. Ditto Akron. The very first time at ODU fans experienced hecklers outside the stadium. The more we win, the more we are hated. That's college FB.

1) Well, actually we can, and Mike has been doing just that. As another poster just suggested, in Mike's template, this almost certainly fills a slot where he was purposely targeting a MAC or SBC school.

2) Fixed it... you inadvertently clipped that m key.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2015, 04:10:57 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nope. We will never have 4 OOC games per yr vs the bigs. So its either some Go5 teams or FCS. Take your pick. Mike picked Go5 and I don't mind. Would I rather have UCF or Boise? You bet but realism has to come in there somewhere. One game a yr will be vs this kind of team or worse....might as well get that in your head. Prob 2 games a yr. Cant be helped. The Indianas, WFs and UKs are not wanting any part of Huntington and I don't blame them. It is what it is. We are already contracted with little cryami, Kent and Akron. Those aren't juggernauts the last time I looked.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2015, 04:29:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Nope. We will never have 4 OOC games per yr vs the bigs. So its either some Go5 teams or FCS. Take your pick. Mike picked Go5 and I don't mind. Would I rather have UCF or Boise? You bet but realism has to come in there somewhere. One game a yr will be vs this kind of team or worse....might as well get that in your head. Prob 2 games a yr. Cant be helped. The Indianas, WFs and UKs are not wanting any part of Huntington and I don't blame them. It is what it is. We are already contracted with little cryami, Kent and Akron. Those aren't juggernauts the last time I looked.

Nope.

I can allow that that might have been what you meant.

But what you said was...

We cant get the OOC schedule filled with the contract conf teams

... which is what I replied to.

Your reply here isn't relevant, then, to my reply... since... my reply is based on what you actually said.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2015, 05:25:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • From Derek Redd's column:

That said, the schedule-makers in Huntington are looking past the Mississippi River and outside the Mid-American and Sun Belt conferences for future opponents. Don’t be surprised if one of the better programs in the Mountain West or teams from the American Athletic Conference appear in future schedules.

Something to smile about.

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2015, 07:16:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • From Derek Redd's column:

Something to smile about.

BUT - do not tweet BIG ANNOUNCEMENT COMING..........

someone will be upset it wasn't "THE OHIO STATE"

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2015, 08:20:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 1) Well, actually we can, and Mike has been doing just that. As another poster just suggested, in Mike's template, this almost certainly fills a slot where he was purposely targeting a MAC or SBC school.

2) Fixed it... you inadvertently clipped that m key.

No he hasn't. He has signed a few which is a lot more than ever before but 4 P5s over the next few yrs is like one eighth of the total OOC. It will always take Go5s and FCSs to round out the schedule. Like it or not.

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2015, 08:23:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BUT - do not tweet BIG ANNOUNCEMENT COMING..........

Or how about don't tweet. Or if you do tweet, don't call something big if it isn't.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2015, 08:32:19 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • exactly

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2015, 10:06:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No he hasn't. He has signed a few which is a lot more than ever before but 4 P5s over the next few yrs is like one eighth of the total OOC. It will always take Go5s and FCSs to round out the schedule. Like it or not.

Dang. Really?

This is about like your having convulsions trying to figure out how 2/1s could possibly mean we need an FCS game.

What you said was: "We cant get the OOC schedule filled with the contract conf teams."

Now, we do know that he CAN get con5 programs to do 1/1. Could he "fill" the OOC schedule with that? When you said "filled," I was reading into that a little different than you evidently intended... I'm thinking, "filled," as-in "filled beyond the teams that we already have scheduled" like your server might top-off your drink. So, we're not actually saying much of anything different (for a change).

Having said that... who's to say if he could COMPLETELY FILL a year or more of the OOC schedule with con5 programs? Not me, not you. It is doubtful that it has ever been tried (at least since FCS was born), or ever will be tried.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2015, 12:23:56 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chris88 is right that Boone can be a tough place to play.  Remember going to a game there during the Chaump era, stadium was loud, sitting at foot of large mountain, as Woody noted, which may have something to do with the sound.  They had a promo going on, dubbed "Black Saturday", team was in all black.  Can't remember whether we won or not, may have been the year we lost in regular season there and then won there in the playoffs.

Since we last played there they have upgraded and expanded their stadium and I'm sure their enrollment has grown (this may come as surprise to many since our enrollment has been stagnant for 20 years or so, but many schools who use to be at our enrollment level or below have leaped past MU in that department, see EKU, ETSU, JMU, etc.).  And many might be surprised that Appy has averaged about the same home attendance, or slightly higher, as MU in the last several years.

And as for someone's suggestion that the conference ought to "restructure" the schedules to make it easier for a conference team to try and make it into a good post season, bowl, slot.  Well, I don't think the conference itself can dictate how a season will play out.  We all should recall that not long ago the Univ. of Houston was hell bound as undefeated CUSA team for a big time BCS bowl.  Had that QB who threw for about a zillion yards, UH had hung about 60+ points on us down there, believe in Snyder era, and were sitting pretty with home CUSA championship game against East winner, Southern Miss.  Everyone in conference, including MU officials, and all of league office, were already counting the big $$$$$$$ BCS payout to come.  What happened?   Well the Golden Eagles went to UH and beat the PISS out of the COOOOGS!  Bye, Bye blackbird (and big bucks). 

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2015, 09:55:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • im excited cause app actually has a fan base. as previous poster said, they have had good attendance, no doubt this game sells out with 30k plus.

im sure our playera will prefer that away game atmosphere over what they see at mac opponents and well half of our currebt cusa east division.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2015, 09:55:53 AM »

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2015, 11:03:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Chris88 is right that Boone can be a tough place to play.  Remember going to a game there during the Chaump era, stadium was loud, sitting at foot of large mountain, as Woody noted, which may have something to do with the sound.  They had a promo going on, dubbed "Black Saturday", team was in all black.  Can't remember whether we won or not, may have been the year we lost in regular season there and then won there in the playoffs.

Since we last played there they have upgraded and expanded their stadium and I'm sure their enrollment has grown (this may come as surprise to many since our enrollment has been stagnant for 20 years or so, but many schools who use to be at our enrollment level or below have leaped past MU in that department, see EKU, ETSU, JMU, etc.).  And many might be surprised that Appy has averaged about the same home attendance, or slightly higher, as MU in the last several years.

And as for someone's suggestion that the conference ought to "restructure" the schedules to make it easier for a conference team to try and make it into a good post season, bowl, slot.  Well, I don't think the conference itself can dictate how a season will play out.  We all should recall that not long ago the Univ. of Houston was hell bound as undefeated CUSA team for a big time BCS bowl.  Had that QB who threw for about a zillion yards, UH had hung about 60+ points on us down there, believe in Snyder era, and were sitting pretty with home CUSA championship game against East winner, Southern Miss.  Everyone in conference, including MU officials, and all of league office, were already counting the big $$$$$$$ BCS payout to come.  What happened?   Well the Golden Eagles went to UH and beat the PISS out of the COOOOGS!  Bye, Bye blackbird (and big bucks). 

I'll agree that there's only so much you can do/control.

But surely you agree that you should do/control what you can.

Consider, what if you could invent a template that, at minimum, assured that your conference champion had went through the conference schedule undefeated?

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2015, 07:25:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Beats a little Miami, Akron, Kent or Norfolk State by a mile. No gimme playing in Boone for those who aren't aware.
    "The Herd #1"

Offline MarshallGrad

« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2015, 07:09:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • what if you could invent a template that, at minimum, assured that your conference champion had went through the conference schedule undefeated?

...I see what you did right there.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2015, 11:56:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ...I see what you did right there.

I'm sure you did.  ;)

Offline svherd

« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2015, 01:09:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • BUT - do not tweet BIG ANNOUNCEMENT COMING..........

No you don't tweet anything. You just announce a series and let it be. The game itself will sell itself or not. Mike shouldn't try to embellish it. Thats the rub. Just let it be. No need to hype it until a standard formal announcement it made.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2015, 05:43:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2015, 05:43:16 PM »