Author Topic: Its Appy. Meh.  (Read 14474 times)

Offline marshallmark

Its Appy. Meh.
« on: June 24, 2015, 02:29:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Not excited.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

HerdFans.com

Its Appy. Meh.
    « on: June 24, 2015, 02:29:23 PM »

Offline gochneaur645

Re: Its Appy. Meh.
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 02:33:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like the series, but the hype for this announcement about a team of that caliber was ridiculous.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 02:33:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Makes a ton of sense.

Offline Huffnagel

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 02:34:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I like the series, but the hype for this announcement about a team of that caliber was ridiculous.

I agree with this
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 02:34:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 02:34:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Marshall didn't hype it.  At all.  

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 02:35:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • how so?

Old, true rival.  They are close.  They are now 1-A.  I'm actually surprised it took this long for them to come back on the schedule.

Online IM4DHERD

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 02:37:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only hype is/was us working ourselves into a frenzy.  All MU did was say that a 1-1 was soon to be announced.

Not terrible, better than a MAC team.  Easy travel to a nice area, former strong rival, good program with a solid history, now in the Sunbelt conference.  Better than an FCS.
    Make a difference...Join the Big Green

Offline iherdya

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 02:37:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Marshall didn't hype it.  At all.  

the hype = 1 reporter tweeting that marshall would announce a h/h series later today. lol.

Offline SuperAnjario

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 02:39:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The only hype is/was us working ourselves into a frenzy.  All MU did was say that a 1-1 was soon to be announced.

Not terrible, better than a MAC team.  Easy travel to a nice area, former strong rival, good program with a solid history, now in the Sunbelt conference.  Better than an FCS.

MU didn't even say that.  Redd did.  All Marshall did was announce it.

We have to fill out our schedules.  There will be other announcements.  Appy 100% fits the profile of a team that Mike wants to schedule.  Also, there are some old timers that absolutely hate Appy. 

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 02:59:26 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Seriously?

Offline svherd

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 03:00:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Does nothing to enhance the quality of our schedule. Spin it all you want but that's a fact. No pundit is gonna say - " Oh Marshall is playing Appy; that should push their cred up a bit."

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 03:00:59 PM »

Offline jstherd

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 03:03:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At the coaches tour in Cincy, Hamrick said that a scheduling announcement would be made that would get fans excited.  I'm jumping up and down. I'm shouting to the roof top. WOW. 64 has it correct. Lame is a good word for this series.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 03:04:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • At the coaches tour in Cincy, Hamrick said that a scheduling announcement would be made that would get fans excited.  I'm jumping up and down. I'm shouting to the roof top. WOW. 64 has it correct. Lame is a good word for this series.

you're assuming this is the one he was talking about...and you know what they say when you assume...

Offline ADub4Heisman

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 03:06:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • @HerdFansINFO tweeted that "huge news" was coming.

Not sure if that Twitter handle belongs to a big wig on this site or not.

Either there is bigger news on the horizon or this series was seriously overhyped.
    Go Marshall Herd!!!

Offline sleeinwv

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 03:12:40 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Appy St????    Ugh.   What a joke.   

Offline MUsince96

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 03:17:29 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We aren't scheduling 3-4 P5 games a year. It's simply not going to happen. We have to schedule other G5 teams to fill out the schedule. If you've got to do that, why not make it a team like App. State as opposed to Akron, Kent, or a random FCS school? This is a good series. Take off the blinders and expecting every scheduling announcment to be a Pitt or NC State.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We aren't scheduling 3-4 P5 games a year. It's simply not going to happen. We have to schedule other G5 teams to fill out the schedule. If you've got to do that, why not make it a team like App. State as opposed to Akron, Kent, or a random FCS school? This is a good series. Take off the blinders and expecting every scheduling announcment to be a Pitt or NC State.

this post * infinity.

we've tried the multiple big p5 schools a year, it failed. as it failed for every other school to try it.

our 2021 schedule is setting up nicely... @ navy, @ appy state, and east carolina coming to the joan, add a middle of the road p5 school there and that's darn near a perfect schedule.

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

Someone just said to me yesterday about something fairly similar...

"First rule of sports marketing is never undersell anything."

I dunno how valid it is as a "rule," but I do believe the evidence clearly supports that it has its adherents at MU.

Offline Buffalo Bop

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 03:27:12 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

•  

Offline chris88

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 03:31:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Better than 1-AA game but doesn't excite me.  Boone pain in neck to get to and a difficult place to play and I doubt they bring many fans to MU.  Only place I can remember being treated worse than WVU and I vowed to never return. Just my opinion.
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 03:39:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Appy St????    Ugh.   What a joke.   

I actually like the series. They despise us. We despise them. We've both had our successes over the years, though ours certainly overshadow theirs. (Then again, we also could say the same thing at one point for Central Florida, right?)

It might have been gotten more applause, though, in the context of CUSA 2.0. In the context of CUSA 3.0, we have no shortage of games with travel-friendly teams that have essentially the same level of street cred that Appy has.

That's the problem.

But, glass half-full, it's certainly better than Newport News State, which to this day continues to be the confounding mystery contract of the Hamrick era... why the reporters don't want to inquire about the rationale for signing that contract 3 years ago when other opportunities almost had to exist(?)... I dunno... but they don't. I can only suppose that what happens in Boca Raton stays in Boca Raton(?).

Sure, we can't be satisfied with this, which is just more of the same Sun Belt and MAC quality teams that contribute to the laughter and snide comments from outsiders about our schedule. We need to play (and defeat, of course) the names that are more likely to compete with us for the access bowl invite. I won't disparage Mike for this signing in light of the fact that he's had some pretty nice successes (1/1s with Pitt and NCSU) leading up to this. This is "okay," especially since I was personally anticipating some other Sun Belt school with almost no credibility. But, Mike, if you're reading this, please just be sure this gets followed up with another couple like Pitt or NCSU or even Navy. I feel certain you will. I don't get the Virginia Beach State thing, but in spite of that, I have confidence that no one could do your job better than you do it.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 03:39:41 PM »

Offline Killer Buffalo

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 04:41:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we all knew that eventually Appy and Ga Southern would be showing up on our schedule now that they have made the jump to FBS.

Offline svherd

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 04:46:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He certainly tried to oversell it. Problem is this doesn't come close to a big news or exciting news annaouncment.
    MU is sending mixed signals to fans - pay up and we can compete with the best. And, " be excited, we just signed Appy to a 1-1. The two don't go together.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Online greenanwhite

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 08/2013
    « Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 04:48:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I am OK with the series I guess... Would have liked to have seen a Cincy or UCF type team but why is it we have to go their first?  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 04:48:27 PM »