Author Topic: Cato--Montreal Alouettes message board  (Read 15193 times)

Offline backontrack

Re: Cato--Montreal Alouettes message board
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 12:07:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He (and we) won't have long to wait...training camp begins on May 31, and their opening exhibition game is June 13...

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2015, 12:07:03 PM »

Offline gcherd

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 06:03:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The cream (in this case, Rakeem Cato) will rise to the top; he has too much talent to be held down for long!

http://www.cfl.ca/schedule/year/2015/9

Offline herdgadfly

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2015, 09:33:46 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The first two games in June are pre-season - so they essentially are a part of the training camp.
    "Among the collegiate herd of sacred cows and their worshippers now buzzes the gad-fly."

Offline CJHerdgrad

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2015, 11:32:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Found this on a Google search:

For perspective: Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan took home $42 million last year, enough to cover the salaries of every CFL player. Most estimates peg the average CFL salary around $80,000. The minimum for a rookie is $50,000.

From this article:
    http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/26/cfl-offseason-jobs-jon-cornish-calgary-stampeders/

Offline Banshee

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 03:12:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I just wish him the best, be it in Canada or as a gardener.  He was nothing less than Great for Marshall.  May he be successful in all his future endeavors.  He's EARNED our gratitude and our well wishes.  GL to the young man.

Offline chris88

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2015, 07:40:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Agree with Dshoe....Cato was a great college QB...not perfect but great. 

His intangibles are also very high:  watching film to understand game, a great knack of escaping pressure, good decision maker, and a winner etc.  People point to his accuracy going down the last couple of years (after being close to 70%)....but much of that had to do with our system.  He threw a lot more downfield than many QB's.  His downfield accuracy was pretty good overall....certainly better than Pennington and Chad was throwing to Moss for 2 of those years.  His struggles at next level have to do with height, not taking snaps from under center (which also impact his ability to see downfield.  in shotgun, he already had a good look/read).  If he can take snaps from shotgun, I think you'll see him do well in the more wide open CFL.

Comparing Matt Ryan to a CFL QB Is not fair.  Ryan is a top flight NFL QB.  The top CFL QB's make much more than the average I'm sure.  Still $250k is a pretty good living. 
    "Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity; they seem more afraid of life than of death"  – James F. Byrnes

Government is the most dangerous institution known to man. Throughout history it has violated the rights of men more than any individual or group of individuals could do: it has killed people, enslaved them, sent them to forced labor and concentration camps, and regularly robbed and pillaged them of the fruits of their expended labor. ~ JOHN HOSPERS

Offline svherd

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2015, 07:55:05 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Found this on a Google search:

For perspective: Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan took home $42 million last year, enough to cover the salaries of every CFL player. Most estimates peg the average CFL salary around $80,000. The minimum for a rookie is $50,000.

From this article:
    http://mmqb.si.com/2014/06/26/cfl-offseason-jobs-jon-cornish-calgary-stampeders/

What else is he going to do without a degree and two kids to support? Even if its 60K, that's a hell of a lot better than what he'll make in Miami without a degree or some type of work experience.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline Herdalum83

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2015, 09:09:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What else is he going to do without a degree and two kids to support? Even if its 60K, that's a hell of a lot better than what he'll make in Miami without a degree or some type of work experience.

I made $19,256 my first year out of college working for a Tri-State area newspaper and I had 2 degrees lol... 60K a year is a better starting salary than most people even with a degree would make right out of the gate. Plus, who wouldn't want to be able to play football for a living?

Offline iherdya

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2015, 10:16:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wrote what I think - off the top Cato is better than Bridge and Marsh who were Division II players until "Air Canada" moved into FBS when South Alabama joined the Sunbelt. Marsh has been on the Als roster for several years almost entirely as QB#3. John Skelton, out of FCS Fordham, played in the NFL because the Cardinals had nobody else and when they released him nobody in the NFL picked him up. He had horrible stats and a 68 QB rating and he hasn't played a down of football since 2012 - so in my mind that is 3 down.

Crompton and LeFevour were on several NFL rosters but never played a down. Crompton only played first string at Tennessee in his senior year but Dan LeFevour holds most of the current MAC passing records. LeFevour, however, is still recovering a torn ligament he sustained last year with the Hamilton Ticats and they released him.  Jonathan Crompton has played part of two years in the CFL with Edmonton in 2013 and the Alouettes last year - finishing the last 8 or so games as starter. He completed 58% of his passes and  threw a bunch of INTs - but he will likely start in game one.

My QB (Canadians like to call them pivots) depth chart is Crompton, Cato and LeFevour. You started off wrong, Iherdya, when you said there were five QBs on the Montreal roster and you obviously have an opinion on Cato, but you haven't made clear why that is - so I went first to give you my reasoning.

Crompton was the starter for the second half of the season there last year, led them to the playoffs. He completed 58% of his passes, but had some good games and some bad games. He's coming into camp definitely the #1 quarterback there and will start the season as the starter, and will be the starter for the first part of the season at least. Skelton has started 17 games in the NFL, and yeah his numbers weren't impressive but he was playing for a god awful team in the Arizona Cardinals, he still has vast experience in professional football that Cato doesn't have, he's been around, he's seen a lot of things, he'd be a valuable back-up. LeFevour has several years of experience in the CFL, granted not a lot of snaps, but completing 67% of his passes, 17 total touchdowns, 6 interceptions, his college numbers stack up with Cato's. Brandon Bridge is a rookie like Cato, he's a non-import (while that doesn't matter with QBs, it may convince them to keep a Canadian over an American for marketing/pr purposes), and had a pretty decent career at S Alabama, nothing flashy, but in reality Cato's real competition to even make the team is a quarterback that led the team to the playoffs last year, a quarterback that has several years of experience in the NFL and is a prototypical QB, and another quarterback who has 3 years of experience in the CFL and college numbers are basically just as good as Cato.

Like I said, Cato is coming into camp as the 4th or 5th quaterback. It's pretty much a guarantee that Crompton and Skelton will make the roster, so for the last QB spot Cato will have to beat out LeFevour and Bridge. Not impossible, but also not a sure thing.

What else is he going to do without a degree and two kids to support? Even if its 60K, that's a hell of a lot better than what he'll make in Miami without a degree or some type of work experience.

Cato is getting the league minimum salary, which is $51,000 CAD, or around $42,000 USD.

Offline s1uggo

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 01:36:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WOW!!!  what are your metrics?  Tall and "cut"!!!!  We've had plenty of those guys since Chad and Byron that failed to "get it done"

BY EVERY measure, Rakeem Cato was a GREAT QB, he ran, he passed, he led and he won!!!!!  He consistently got us into the right play, made the big plays and performed at an incredibly efficient level..... in a program that has had great ACTUAL QB's he is at or near the top in virtually every positive category!!!  And he did this on two remarkably mediocre teams in his 4 years.....2 others that were very good, one being one of the top 5 in Herd history, but he was an integral part of what made those two special.

Why would anyone want to play here if fans fail to see the measure of success on the field in front of them as opposed to some ethereal reality that human performance can seldom if ever achieve.  There is an old saying about "forest and trees" that seems applicable here.

Cato got a new agent?  Who knew? or Perhaps Mike Mayock is taking a leave of absence, dShoe trying to fill in? No doubts Cato had a very good MU career!!!  and we thank him for that!

Offline Iwatch theCFL

• Rookie
    « Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 01:53:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hi.  I just registered here because you guys are talking CFL.

Just to let you know, Wednesday was the 1st day for Quarterbacks and Rookies.  Veterans show up on Sunday.  Because Montreal's quarterback play was shaky last year, the team has brought in at least 8 players to fight it out for spots on the team.  Among them are:

Chris Bonner - Colorado State-Pueblo (Rookie)
    Brandon Bridge - South Alabama (Rookie)
    Rakeem Cato - Marshall (Rookie)
    Jonathan Crompton - last year's starter
    Dan LeFevour - free agent signee
    Andrew Manley - Eastern Illinois (Rookie)
    Tanner Marsh - Montreal backup for the last 2 years
    John Skelton - CFL rookie with NFL experience

Montreal is not going to bring all the QB's listed to the regular camp.  Maybe 5 at the most.  LeFevour is injured right now, so he does not count.  Therefore, at least 2 of the names could be sent home by Sunday.  Bonner, Cato, and Manley are not listed on the team's website, so I suspect those guys are at the bottom.  If none of those 3 show enough potential, then they could all be gone before Sunday.

For definites to make the opening day roster of 3 QB's, I will say: Crompton and LeFevour.  Crompton has to be there somewhere because he was a part of the turnaround last year.  Only way I can see LeFevour not making the cut is if his current injury is much worse anticipated.

If someone is not good enough on opening day to be in the top 3 but the team sees something in him, they can always put the QB on the Practice Roster.  Youngsters learn the craft of being a CFL quarterback.  Downside is that they barely get paid any money.  My 2 cents worth opinion is that Bridge will be on the Practice Roster because he is young, has a strong arm, and is a dual threat quaterback.

But then as I said, the quarterbacking in Montreal is not their strength.  So, nothing is 100% absolute in regards to roster spots.  The team is bringing in multiple people to see if they can find the next CFL Star QB.  Montreal keeps trying, but their GM Jim Popp has a poor record of finding star quarterbacks who have never played in the CFL.  His percentage is zero.

Offline herdgadfly

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 03:47:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Thanks for the information, Iwatch. Just reviewing the rookie QBs, you find:

Air Canada Bridge is rated to have an arm that can throw through a brick wall but cannot complete a pass to a wide open receiver 15 yards away,

Andrew Manley who started one year to lead Eastern Illinois to a 1-11 season with mediocre passing stats.

6'8" Chris Bonner from Div II national champs Colorado State Pueblo is judged by NFL scouts to lack athleticism and arm strength.

Then there is Rakeem Cato who Mel Kiper, Jr rated the 8th best QB in the draft - but his size gets in the way for the NFL - but then again, the CFL is not the NFL.

So I frankly do not understand how you can give four, let alone eight QBs the time under center to demonstrate their skills. We witnessed the same idiocy at Cato's tryout at the Browns camp where it was obvious they wanted some QBs to throw to 100 hopeful candidates - and three non-QBs got signed.
    "Among the collegiate herd of sacred cows and their worshippers now buzzes the gad-fly."

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 03:47:25 AM »

Offline Johnnyherd

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Head Coach
    • Member Since 03/2011 Big Green Member 2011
    « Reply #37 on: May 29, 2015, 06:49:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Every single time I see the word "alouette" It brings memories of this classic cartoon and song from my youth...Do you remember it?

Offline Iwatch theCFL

• Rookie
    « Reply #38 on: May 29, 2015, 03:45:49 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, there are probably more than 8 quarterbacks there.  The Alouettes do not announce who they have brought in, so I cannot give you a definitive list.  Basically to whole process is a tryout for the new guys not on the roster.  Be aware that Montreal does not have to give their final ranking of QB's before Sunday.  They only need to release the ones who are not demonstrating enough skills as compared to others.  Think reality shows where they release people right away fairly or unfairly.

The selection of players in the CFL favor the veterans.  Minicamp already happened before new guys sign as the rookies were hoping for a NFL chance.  Typically, the new guys have only played in the U.S. and do not know the rules.  The one additional player and wider field are also something completely different to new players.  

Usually, new quarterbacks just hope to make it to the Practice Roster.  It is typical for them to stay there for a year or two before having a legitimate chance of playing in a real game.

Because of the different rules and playing field size, there is no formula for determining whether a QB will be sucessful or not in the CFL.  For instance since the field is so wide, a quarterback will be required to make an accurate throw of 40+ yards on what is called a "wide-side-out" that sometimes nets only a few yards.  Forget about being a quarterback in the CFL if you cannot make that play.  Just by looking at a guy's resume, you cannot tell how he will adapt to the CFL.

Cato's height should not be a concern in the CFL as there are other quarterbacks with his height.  What is most important of course is someone's passing skills in a place with different rules and wider field.  Although not required, having a quarterback with running skills is a big plus which is why Bridge would seriously be considered for a spot.  But if he really can't "hit the side of the barn", that would obviously have to be taken into account before a decision is made by Montreal.

It would be great if Cato or any of the rookies blows everybody away in training camp, makes the team, and ends up putting up big numbers this year.  However that is not easy at all and the odds are against that will all happen.
    « Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 03:48:23 PM by Iwatch theCFL »

Offline Iwatch theCFL

• Rookie
    « Reply #39 on: May 29, 2015, 06:50:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here is a picture posted for the Alouette website.  Is the guy wearing 00 Cato?

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #40 on: May 29, 2015, 07:19:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Here is a picture posted for the Alouette website.  Is the guy wearing 00 Cato?

No

Offline Iwatch theCFL

• Rookie
    « Reply #41 on: May 29, 2015, 07:41:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So Cato is not here at all?  I think this picture is showing all the quarterbacks there.

Offline elginherd

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2015, 07:58:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, there are probably more than 8 quarterbacks there.  The Alouettes do not announce who they have brought in, so I cannot give you a definitive list.  Basically to whole process is a tryout for the new guys not on the roster.  Be aware that Montreal does not have to give their final ranking of QB's before Sunday.  They only need to release the ones who are not demonstrating enough skills as compared to others.  Think reality shows where they release people right away fairly or unfairly.

The selection of players in the CFL favor the veterans.  Minicamp already happened before new guys sign as the rookies were hoping for a NFL chance.  Typically, the new guys have only played in the U.S. and do not know the rules.  The one additional player and wider field are also something completely different to new players.  

Usually, new quarterbacks just hope to make it to the Practice Roster.  It is typical for them to stay there for a year or two before having a legitimate chance of playing in a real game.

Because of the different rules and playing field size, there is no formula for determining whether a QB will be sucessful or not in the CFL.  For instance since the field is so wide, a quarterback will be required to make an accurate throw of 40+ yards on what is called a "wide-side-out" that sometimes nets only a few yards.  Forget about being a quarterback in the CFL if you cannot make that play.  Just by looking at a guy's resume, you cannot tell how he will adapt to the CFL.

Cato's height should not be a concern in the CFL as there are other quarterbacks with his height.  What is most important of course is someone's passing skills in a place with different rules and wider field.  Although not required, having a quarterback with running skills is a big plus which is why Bridge would seriously be considered for a spot.  But if he really can't "hit the side of the barn", that would obviously have to be taken into account before a decision is made by Montreal.

It would be great if Cato or any of the rookies blows everybody away in training camp, makes the team, and ends up putting up big numbers this year.  However that is not easy at all and the odds are against that will all happen.

Excellent points. On the wide field point, the CFL actual has hash marks that are not in the center (up there 'centre') of the field, which make long 'field' side throws even longer than with the college FB field.
    In memory of Dr Daniel P Babb who taught so much to so many.

Offline Johnnyherd

• Head Coach
    « Reply #43 on: May 29, 2015, 09:01:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So Cato is not here at all?  I think this picture is showing all the quarterbacks there.

I don't know but if all those guys are quarterbacks, that is goofy....I don't know how the coaches are even going to get them all reps....It's hard getting 4 QBs enough reps....How are they going to get reps for 10 QBs....

Offline HaveUherd

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2015, 09:50:03 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I hope I'm wrong but I don't like his odds of making their team.

Offline Iwatch theCFL

• Rookie
    « Reply #45 on: May 29, 2015, 09:57:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sometimes teams will bring in a Canadian college player to give him the experience of a CFL camp.  Since the guy wearing 00 is smaller than everybody else, maybe he is one of those.  I would know for sure except the Alouettes do not say what quarterbacks are in camp.

Training camp does not officially start until Sunday.  In other words, they will all not be there in 2 days. 

I think more troubling for followers of this thread is that Cato is missing.  That is not a good.  What are the possibilities then?  The reasons I can think of is: he attended but is currently injured, or he was never there to begin with.

Offline goherd24

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I'm so tired of the constant %^&* piled on Cato's head (for more than 4 years now).  The guy is a legend and we were incredibly lucky to have him.  People need to cut the man a break. 

I agree. He is one of the greatest college qbs to ever play the game and all you hear is how he cant play in a B league cfl. Ridiculous. He should be on an NFL roster if the aholes weren't so caught up on how tall someone is or how much they weigh

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »

Offline herdgadfly

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2015, 11:55:22 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The first problem here may be the assumption that all of these players are quarterbacks - most certainly #7 is Brandon Bridge and #2 is Jazz Lindsey who are both Canadian nationals QBs. After that the roster numbers 6, 8, 10 and 00 do not match anybody.

And if you look at the arm muscles, it is difficult to believe that these guys made a career out of throwing the football or played in Div I college football at all. Weight rooms fix that problem and only Bridge and Lindsey have defined muscle lines.

I blew up the pic to see if it was possible that the short guy was Cato without a beard but the face is too thin and the nose is not long enough.

So my guess is that these guys are mostly Canadian hosers.
    « Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:57:19 PM by herdgadfly »

Offline Iwatch theCFL

• Rookie
    « Reply #48 on: May 30, 2015, 02:37:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • That shade of blue is what the Alouette quarterbacks wear during practice.  Now, are some of these guys just there for the experience?  That I cannot tell you without knowing who they all are.  Let me put it this way.  With Montreal's lack of quarterbacking, they as a professional team should not be wasting much time at all mentoring a bunch of teenagers.

Regardless who these players are in the above, we should have set list of potential quarterbacks on Sunday when training camp begins.  There will then be no question who is a candidate to make the team.

Offline gcherd

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2015, 09:10:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • To me, #7 looks the most like Cato?! ...not that it matters, but that is the number he wore during his Browns 3-day camp.

...and if I had to caption the picture; he's thinking "178 pounds or not, I'm about to tear up this league!"
    « Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:13:12 AM by gcherd »

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2015, 09:10:23 AM »