Author Topic: Basketball- Next Season  (Read 17480 times)

Offline iherdya

Re: Basketball- Next Season
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 12:53:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •       With Smith and Kambola not coming back we have exactly 13 on scholarship if Elmore isn't paying his own way the first year. I think 2 of these guys will probably be gone. Manning for sure IMO. And probably Boykins also. That would give DD a chance to sign to bigger playres like Aleksander Dozic and someone else. Also i hope we get the kid Herdmeister was talking about Maciej Bender 6'10 230 that can play inside and out. He is a 2016 recruit.

Jay Johnson  
       Stevie Browning   
       C.J. Burks   
       DeVince Boykins   
       Aleksa Nikolic   
       Justin Edmonds   
       James Kelly   
       Ryan Taylor  
       Austin Loop   
            Milan Mijovic  
            Tamron Manning
            Christian Theineman

actually, right now our scholarships for next year are:

1. Johnson
    2. Burks
    3. Boykins
    4. Nikolic
    5. Edmonds
    6. Kelly
    7. Taylor
    8. Manning
    9. Loop
    10. Mijovic
    11. Theineman

Elmore, Browning, and Bowling are currently walk-ons. Elmore, as of right now, cannot go on scholarship until January 2016. I think part of Danny's strategy would be to encourage WV kids come here as walk-ons, especially if they can get the Promise Scholarship, or some sort of other academic scholarship. Also, I wouldn't be shocked to see Edmonds not back next year and possibly Manning, which would free up 2 more scholarships.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 12:53:13 PM »

Offline pdunn

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • pdunn, I usually agree with what you post.  However, I don't think it should take five years to turn a program around.  Look at what Kevin Keats did at UNC-W.  He got two-three, new, decent players and UNC-W went from the cellar (I believe) of CAA last year (and UNC-W had been near the bottom for a number of previous years) to tied for first this year.  I equate the situation at UNC-W to what Danny inherited.  I believe if Danny can develop just a few players then the turnaround can be dramatic and should occur within a couple of years.     

I completely understand your point, and I would agree, except that we've been here with Altman, Freeman, Donovan, White, Jones, Jirsa, and Herrion.  I'm not getting my hopes up.
    "On rainy days, the early justices would enliven case conferences with wine. On other days, even if the sun was shining, Chief Justice John Marshall would order wine anyway, saying, 'Our jurisdiction is so vast that it must be raining somewhere.' "

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My reason for wanting to see Nikolic red shirted is....if he is the future, then it gives him a chance to develop his body & shot to be in a position to have a better last 3 years of his career.

If Kambola, Smith, Boykins, Manning & Edmonds (due to injury) all decide not to return, then that would be a huge opportunity for DD to upgrade the talent on the roster.

Offline Herdmeister

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 01:32:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When is national letter of intent day for basketball? hopefully after that we will have a better idea of what we can expect next year.

As was said in an earlier post, it was in November when we signed Theineman.  There is another in April but unless he runs some people off, we have no scholarships available.
    Today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth..
                   ----Lou Gehrig

Offline whf

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 01:51:33 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • When you're in a hole, stop digging. I think that is where DD is now, he's in a a HUGE hole.  The success he is able to help develop for next year starts with finding a way to quit digging.  All teams function in a pyramidal sequence of Stability, Consistency, Effectiveness, Efficiency.  I'm saying that no team makes it anywhere near the NIT or NCAA without at least reaching the Effectiveness stage; DD is in stage one; creating Stability in the program.  At best he'll reach effectiveness in year three, next year is about gaining some consistency in staff, players, and player performance.  That may get us more wins than this year, but I'm suspecting not because our competition continues to build and climb too.  DD has to find a way to leapfrog at least 5 teams, not an easy task.  Otherwise the wins will come from a much weaker OOC schedule.

Online MLBULL

Re: Basketball- Next Season a
    « Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 03:20:15 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • National Letter of Intent for the Spring period begins April 15 and concluded on May 20.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 11:51:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with QuickStrike and others who indicate we need INSIDE help.  We need guys who can finish at the hole and in the lane.  Outside of Taylor who, pray tell, can anyone say is a consistent scorer.  Look at last night, when he was cold, 4 of 20 from the floor, we had numerous plays where other players could not make inside shots which, if had been made, could have made the WKU game very, very close.  How many times have we seen our guards dish inside and one of our bigs blows a layup, fumbles the ball, or loses it outright?  Another CONSISTENT inside threat is going to make Ryan Taylor that much more of a threat.

As for some of the underclassmen, I seem to recall that Boykins redshirted as a freshman so this is his 4th year in the program.  Manning's 3rd year, and then the jucos have been here a couple of years.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2015, 09:42:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If we don't get more inside players in this year's recruiting class......looking forward to 2016-2017 season we are going to be pretty thin inside. (just say'n)

2016-2017
    Brett Bowling 6-4 G - Jr
    Stevie Browning 6-3 G - Jr
    C J Burks 6-3 G - Jr
    Jon Elmore 6-4 G - Jr
    Austin Loop 6-4 G - Sr
    Milan Mijovic 6-9 F - Jr
    Aleksa Nikolic 6-5 G - Jr
    Ryan Taylor 6-5 F - Sr
    Christian Theineman 6-6 G - So

Offline Herd2believe

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't underestimate the Elmore kid's talent level. There is a reason he had over 30 d1 offers going into his senior season, including conferences such as CUSA, AAC, A10, Ivy, Colonial etc. All offers were as a pg. I think the VMI thing is misleading. He only signed there to play with his older brother at his Dad's alma mater. That family thing is pretty cool imho.

And although we only have him for a year if correct, I think Kelly is a great addition-coming from the ACC.
    « Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:12:19 AM by Herd2believe »

Offline eagleherd

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #34 on: March 13, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • DD is focusing on bigs only now. He feels he has corrected the need at the guard positions. He will sign 1-2 bigs this year and sign 1-2 more next year. Next years team will look totally different than this years team. Kelly will be a difference maker (i will guarantee that and mark this post now). He will take so much pressure off Taylor next year. And he can pop outside and really stroke it. Kelly and Taylor will be a hand full for teams next year. And then we will be unbelievably better at the guard position. They won't be able to key on Loop next year. Pick your poisin...guard Loop and watch Browning, Elmore and Kelly light you up. Those better games we played at home and won against UTEP and WKU will be routine games next year. DD is getting what he needs for his system.

Offline herdfifteen

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2015, 12:14:23 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • No offense, but your optimism is often overstated.I have listened to guys all year talk about the talent on our present team, and how they have improved dramatically throughout the year, only to witness a different story on the floor. Maybe it is time to be more realistic, not necessarily pessimistic, but to think more in line with our talent. We have a considerable distance to travel, I saw nothing in our early recruiting to suggest it will be a quick fix.

Offline eagleherd

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #36 on: March 13, 2015, 12:38:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you haven't seen this teamget better then you are blind. Herrion had Canty, Thomas, Goard and Smith and couldn't win as many league games. That was basically your starting 5 with Taylor. He took Loop that was almsot never off the bench and made him a decent player. Took Kambola and made him beyond what he was. Now these guys aren't great, but they are light years from where they were. Edmonds got better all year etc. Herrion probbly wouldn't have won a game with this team. And do you go to practice? Kelly is probably the best player on the team. Elmore and Browning are probably our 2 best guards. Theineman was a steal and is perfect for DD system. Don't discount Browning because he played at Fairmont St. The kid has the "it" factor and was one of the best players in that league. Very tough confident kid. We will win at least 15 next year and i would say we will come close to 20. Save this post and throw it back at me if you want. because that is what i plan on doing to some of you that don't have a clue about what is taking place and what DD actually had to work with this year.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2015, 12:38:34 PM »

Offline girthyherdon

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Eagle are you the reincarnated GB60??

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2015, 01:08:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Browning was a solid player in the MEC, but he was not one of the best players in the league. He also played in that league as a true FR and SO, so I'm sure he could have eventually developed into one of the best players in the league had he stayed.

I like what DD has done in such a short period of time.

I think its important for everyone to remember that DD got hired REALLY LATE. He didn't get the opportunity to truly recruit or implement a full off season training program. I can't wait to see what he does with a complete off season and having already established his brand of basketball here.

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2015, 02:35:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree that DD did wonders with this team to win as many games, and more conference games than Herrion's team last season.  However, this team was still very bad and playing sloppy ball after 32 games.  The team should improve some next season, but realistically this team has D-1 talent issues.  Too many unproven Guards, and not enough proven Inside players.  The next 2 seasons could be heavily determined by any big men DD can still recruit this season.  This team changes drastically next season if DD can get a 6-8 or taller player that can start and contribute on off & def in the LP.  Also, need for Elmore to be better than Nikolic, Edmonds to return healthy from knee injury, and Kelly to be a contributing player.

Perimeter- Elmore 6-4
    Perimeter- Edmonds 6-4
    Perimeter- Taylor 6-5
    High Post- Kelly 6-7
    Low post- New Player 6-8+ who can start immediately

Off the Bench- Browning, Johnson, Loop, Theineman, others. (I still Redshirt Nikolic & Mijovic)
    « Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:00:42 PM by QuickStrike »

Offline MUtim

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 08/2009
    « Reply #40 on: March 13, 2015, 05:09:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Browning was second team all conference in the MEC as a sophomore and averaged close to 17 ppl.  He had 28 when they played WVU.  I'd say the 2nd team all conference selection proves he was one of the better players in that conference.

Our fans seem to dismiss his prospects due to the facts he played hs ball in WV, Logan HS, and then played at Fairmont.  I personally thought his game reminded me of Jason Williams during the first scrimmage.  Mark this down.  1) he will start next year 2) he will be on scholarship....

For you old timers....I wish Keith Tyler and Sedale Threatt would have transferred from UC and WV Tech back in the day.  Threatt was better than Skip Henderson and Tyler was just as good.

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2015, 05:38:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • saw tyler and Skip score 30 some apiece in a game at the Cam. Saw Danny Ainge and S Threatt fight in a NBA game. And I was prob 40 at the time. Saw lots of Marshall BB before the Dantonis. Jack Freeman was my jr high phys ed prick ..I mean teacher.

Offline FlyHawk98

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2015, 07:41:30 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Browning was second team all conference in the MEC as a sophomore and averaged close to 17 ppl.  He had 28 when they played WVU.  I'd say the 2nd team all conference selection proves he was one of the better players in that conference.

Our fans seem to dismiss his prospects due to the facts he played hs ball in WV, Logan HS, and then played at Fairmont.  I personally thought his game reminded me of Jason Williams during the first scrimmage.  Mark this down.  1) he will start next year 2) he will be on scholarship....

For you old timers....I wish Keith Tyler and Sedale Threatt would have transferred from UC and WV Tech back in the day.  Threatt was better than Skip Henderson and Tyler was just as good.

There were also guys on that 2nd MEC team that were on the All Region teams. HALF of the All Region team was from the MEC, including the player of the year.

I root for the WV kids just as much as anyone. I would also say I follow the MEC just as much as anyone. I watched Browning play multiple times while he was Fairmont and he always played well. I wasn't trying to knock him.
    « Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 07:47:35 PM by FlyHawk98 »

Offline lovetheherd2

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • saw tyler and Skip score 30 some apiece in a game at the Cam. Saw Danny Ainge and S Threatt fight in a NBA game. And I was prob 40 at the time. Saw lots of Marshall BB before the Dantonis. Jack Freeman was my jr high phys ed prick ..I mean teacher.

Some of us go back to Lou Mott, Mickey Sydensrticker, Jim Odum form HEHS, further back to Bill Francis, more recent - Orville Step from Inez, Ky, etc.

We all yearn for for Mountain Magic for nearby HS grads but more than anything the kind of BB Danny is teaching, with two or three higher level shooters and defenders.

With any luck, we might see 20% improve the next year and another 20% the following year.

I will then be extremely pleased with the progress and future.

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2015, 09:57:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I wouldn't underestimate the Elmore kid's talent level. There is a reason he had over 30 d1 offers going into his senior season, including conferences such as CUSA, AAC, A10, Ivy, Colonial etc. All offers were as a pg. I think the VMI thing is misleading. He only signed there to play with his older brother at his Dad's alma mater. That family thing is pretty cool imho.

And although we only have him for a year if correct, I think Kelly is a great addition-coming from the ACC.

Elmore went to prep school and really hit the camp circuits. Did a great job getting his name out there. That said, his best offers were probably Ohio, GW and Charlotte.

Offline eagleherd

• Practice Squad
    « Reply #45 on: March 13, 2015, 10:41:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So, David Robinson's best offer was Navy?

Offline HerdnClt

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 10:57:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Elmore went to prep school and really hit the camp circuits. Did a great job getting his name out there. That said, his best offers were probably Ohio, GW and Charlotte.

Good To know.  His Dad was the real deal and sure he is too.  If Charlotte offered he can play.
    "The Herd #1"

HerdFans.com

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 10:57:01 PM »

Offline HerdKelly

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 11:05:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • So, David Robinson's best offer was Navy?

Well then clearly he is the next David Robinson GB60.

Then again, the fact that David Robinson grew a foot his last year of high school and then added another 5 or 6 inches while at Navy may have had a tiny little bit to do with his future success and lack of offers in high school.
    « Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:10:38 PM by HerdKelly »

Offline QuickStrike

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2015, 11:13:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I keep hearing Elmore & Browning can shoot the ball.  If their being on the floor also results in less turnovers and better defense that will be big.

Offline coalherd

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2015, 12:06:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well then clearly he is the next David Robinson GB60.

Then again, the fact that David Robinson grew a foot his last year of high school and then added another 5 or 6 inches while at Navy may have had a tiny little bit to do with his future success and lack of offers in high school.

HerdKelly, apparently something similar happened to Hassan Whiteside.  I heard WVU coach Huggins say that they had been aware of Whiteside who was at that time only around 6'6".  Huggins said when MU signed him (Donnie Jones) Hassan was pushing 7'0"!!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2015, 12:06:11 AM »