Author Topic: Jordan Roberts  (Read 3854 times)

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
  • Member Since 12/2012
Jordan Roberts
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:44:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Apologies, for I'm sure this has been hashed over many times, but did we offer this guy out of high school???
    No political dreamer was ever wild enough to think of breaking down the lines which separate the States and compounding the American people into one common mass.
    John Marshall (1755 - 1835)

HerdFans.com

Jordan Roberts
    « on: May 07, 2013, 11:44:02 PM »

Offline BooneCo.4Herd

• Varsity
    Re: Jordan Roberts
    « Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 06:26:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • no scholarship....preferred walk on, which is what the school up north offered as well
    SAVE THE CHEERLEADER....SAVE THE WORLD

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 12/2012
    « Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • no scholarship....preferred walk on, which is what the school up north offered as well
    Hmmm.....Well, i'm sure your aware he has a chance at a roster spot with KC....more homegrown talent shunned....We have to be a "better" evalutator of talent than Monongalia Tech.
    No political dreamer was ever wild enough to think of breaking down the lines which separate the States and compounding the American people into one common mass.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Hmmm.....Well, i'm sure your aware he has a chance at a roster spot with KC....more homegrown talent shunned....We have to be a "better" evalutator of talent than Monongalia Tech.

The fact is he wasn't a homegrown talent at the time, there was not a single D1 school that felt he was worthy of a scholarship. Hindsight is 20/20, it is easy to sit back and look NOW at the fact that we should've offered the kid, but at the time we saw exactly what 200+ other coaches saw, a guy that wasn't worthy of a Division 1 football scholarship. It happens to the best of coaches, hell Mack Brown has a national title, national coach of the year awards, etc and he offered RG3 and Johnny Manziel, but only as DBs, didn't think they could effectively play QB.

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:14:28 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Due to the promise scholarship deal you are not as likely to get an athletic scholarship at first. Now there are some that will get offers, but I think those getting offers are when the big schools step in for their talent. I.e the kid from GW going to UNC and Wellman are first to mind.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/westvirginia/football/recruiting/player-Jordan-Roberts-76139

Iherdya looks like Northern Illinois and Army offered, but maybe he is like several from Here in Ohio where they wait so long on that OSU 'ship they ruin the other offers and end up D2

Offline MU42

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 02:48:20 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • The fact is he wasn't a homegrown talent at the time, there was not a single D1 school that felt he was worthy of a scholarship. Hindsight is 20/20, it is easy to sit back and look NOW at the fact that we should've offered the kid, but at the time we saw exactly what 200+ other coaches saw, a guy that wasn't worthy of a Division 1 football scholarship.

We have two problems here number one is we need coaches that can scout and find diamonds in the rough, and number two is the Promise scholarship.

I read an article yesterday about Boise St. and how they would find great players all the time that had no big time offers, and then they became a powerhouse and now when they offer a guy that nobody has heard of and all the big time schools come running to check him out.

Offline shilolg

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 03:08:25 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • #1 I thought we had a coach who has been known for years for scouting
    #2 Promise Scholarship provides education for many WV students most who could not afford it.

DUH

Offline BHFIOHIO

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 03:23:02 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • yeah..when it comes to recruiting "In Doc I Trust"...might change , might not.......just hope Heater can earn the same rep Doc has but about D.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Due to the promise scholarship deal you are not as likely to get an athletic scholarship at first. Now there are some that will get offers, but I think those getting offers are when the big schools step in for their talent. I.e the kid from GW going to UNC and Wellman are first to mind.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/westvirginia/football/recruiting/player-Jordan-Roberts-76139

Iherdya looks like Northern Illinois and Army offered, but maybe he is like several from Here in Ohio where they wait so long on that OSU 'ship they ruin the other offers and end up D2

Army doesn't offer athletic scholarships, every cadet is on full scholarship there. Okay, so NIU offered, that is 1 of 125 FBS schools. Less than 1% of FBS coaches thought at the time he was worthy of a scholarship out of high school. Again, hindsight is 20/20, but at the time only NIU felt the kid was worthy of a scholarship at the D1 level.

We have two problems here number one is we need coaches that can scout and find diamonds in the rough, and number two is the Promise scholarship.

So, do the other 125ish college coaches have a problem scouting? Diamonds in the rough would be great, but we don't need to recruit like that, most things found in the rough turn out to be rocks, not diamonds, if we spent any significant amount of time or scholarships on recruits from the "rough" we'd be the worst D1 team in the nation.

How is the promise scholarship a problem?

In Roberts' class we took 3 RBs, Darius Marshall who was a really, really good running back here (he was just a dum&^$r*( that left for the NFL with no shot to make it), JoJo Cox who was a can't miss prospect, and Terrell Edwards who was a three star running back with offers from SEC and B12 schools. Turns out Cox and Edwards were essentially busts, but that's hindsight for you.

Offline MU42

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• How is the promise scholarship a problem?

It is great for non-athletes, but as is pertains to athletes from WV, coaches would like to save a full ride scholarship for an out-of-state kid in hopes that the WV kid would do well enough in the classroom to earn the Promise Scholarship. Therefore Marshall and WVU almost never offer any kids from WV a full ride but a MAC school offers them early and gets there commitment, while Marshall and WVU are waiting to see if the got the Promise.

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 12/2012
    « Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly, I think they go to "any town" south FLA, hit the button on a police siren and grab the fastest kid going the opposite direction....Brilliant....full scholly

Offline Scottyo614

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 05:14:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Honestly, I think they go to "any town" south FLA, hit the button on a police siren and grab the fastest kid going the opposite direction....Brilliant....full scholly

Been working for the SEC, Miami and Florida State for years  ;D

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 05:14:06 PM »

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• #2 Promise Scholarship provides education for many WV students most who could not afford it.

DUH

Actually, it provides education for darn near every decent student, regardless of ability to pay.  There are a lot of things I wouldn't want about living back in WV, but facing down a college tuition bill in the neighborhood of $15K a year for a state school (albeit a very good one) makes me pretty jealous of those state that offer a Promise, which my son would have easily qualified for.

Offline iherdya

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 03:39:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually, it provides education for darn near every decent student, regardless of ability to pay.  There are a lot of things I wouldn't want about living back in WV, but facing down a college tuition bill in the neighborhood of $15K a year for a state school (albeit a very good one) makes me pretty jealous of those state that offer a Promise, which my son would have easily qualified for.

So many students qualified for it, it cost them a ton of money. It is really kind of a mess of a program, unfortunately.

Offline rvntx

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 02:41:12 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He is not under contract with KC. Just invited to tryout. Just a walkon AGAIN!!! Best of luck but, a long shot to get a roster spot. A practice squad slot is his best shot.

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 12/2012
    « Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 11:09:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He is not under contract with KC. Just invited to tryout. Just a walkon AGAIN!!! Best of luck but, a long shot to get a roster spot. A practice squad slot is his best shot.
    Who said anything about a contract???

Offline rvntx

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 11:49:50 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just stating a fact.....Don't get you panties in wad.... GEE!!!!

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 12/2012
    « Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 12:23:11 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Just stating a fact.....Don't get you panties in wad.... GEE!!!!
    I wear boxers fellow....xlarge and let them swing. Again, who said anything about a contract????  Everyone understands its a "shot" at a roster spot....Put the banana hammock on your nose......its fits better there.

Online svherd

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • We have to remember that three of the greatest players in MU weren't offered D1 schollies or a very few if any. Pennington, Leftwich and Brown.

Herd Rises
    Vision Campaign
    MU Foundation

Offline rvntx

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 02:56:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WOW you don't have to be an AH.  All I said was he was offered a try out. Not signed as a free agent. Nothing more nothing less...Hope he does make it. I like to see Lincoln County guys do well!

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 12/2012
    « Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WOW you don't have to be an AH.  All I said was he was offered a try out. Not signed as a free agent. Nothing more nothing less...Hope he does make it. I like to see Lincoln County guys do well!
    Thats NOT all you said by the way....you made an assumption someone said "contract"............... AND.......you dogged they guy out with your little "walk on again" comment. Scott is in Boone County by the way.

Offline rvntx

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 10:02:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He's from Lincoln county and went to school at Scott.......What is you problem?

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 10:02:17 PM »

Offline rvntx

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 10:19:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  •  

Offline 00mag12gaVa

• Junior Varsity
    • Member Since 12/2012
    « Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • He's from Lincoln county and went to school at Scott.......What is you problem?

Problem.....You....You dogged the guy out.... Scott is Boone Co..... I dont hold the dudes bio in my favs......Adios tonto

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 11:15:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't have any stats in front of me, but I doubt very seriously many college playing-worthy football players from WV high schools qualify for the Promise Scholarship.  The standards are pretty high to get that now (3.0 g.p.a., with 22 ACT overall and at least a 20 in reading, math, science and english).  Not genius level to be sure, but 22 is an average score for college bound kids now, but with the broud requirements for all core sections, a student would need to be above average to get it.

"Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 11:15:14 AM »