Author Topic: Recent (Jan 2) Troy Brown Article  (Read 1260 times)

Offline MuTrackster

• Benefactors of HerdFans
  • Junior Varsity
  • Member Since 05/2009
Recent (Jan 2) Troy Brown Article
« on: January 07, 2005, 03:18:01 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I apologize in advance if this article has been already posted.  

Brown sets legacy

BY MARK FARINELLA / SUN CHRONICLE STAFF
    FOXBORO -- Ask a roomful of Patriots' fans to name their favorite player in the franchise's history, and the chances are very good that it wouldn't be a current player.

There's a very good chance that it would be Steve Grogan, a quarterback whose 16-season career from 1975-90 had its ups and downs on the field, but was characterized throughout by his tough-and-nails demeanor and his willingness to sacrifice his health and well-being for the betterment of the team.

At some point, however, those same fans will be likely to look back at a diminutive wide receiver -- one who was selected in the eighth round of the draft and rebounded from an ignominious release to become an invaluable contributor in all three facets of the game -- and say, ``you know, that Troy Brown was one hell of a player.''

Further evidence of Brown's growing legacy in Boston sports lore came earlier in the week, when the 5-foot-10, 196-pounder from Barnwell, S.C., via Marshall University was presented the Patriots' 12th Player Award.

Much like similar awards given to members of the Bruins and Red Sox, the Patriots' award is intended to honor a player whose contributions exceeded any and all expectations.

There's no debating that Brown has soared past the expectations for him at this stage of his career, and started to do so early in training camp when Bill Belichick asked him to take a few turns in the defensive backfield.

``After 12 years, you don't think about yourself as being able to go over and play defense,'' Brown said. ``They asked me to do something and I said I'd give it a shot ... I'd give it my best effort. And I guess it was good enough for him to put me in a game, against the Rams of all people.''

``It's just another example of not being afraid to take chances and seeing what you've got,'' he said. ``I never would have known I could have done it if I hadn't tried it.''

Brown had 458 career receptions for 5,332 yards coming into this season, including three seasons with 80 or more catches. That alone would have been enough to earn him an unsung hero award, because few expected he would achieve at such a level when Bill Parcells made him the 198th overall selection in the 1993 draft -- taking place in the eighth round, a round that doesn't exist any more.

But even though he struggled with injuries last year (40 catches for 472 yards) and some considered him to be on the downward slope of his career, Brown learned the nuances of playing in the Patriots' ``nickel'' defensive packages and made his first appearance as a defensive player in the Patriots' game at St. Louis on Nov. 7.

The Rams' receivers didn't give the ``12th-year rookie'' a hard time.

``I haven't got any bad comments at all,'' he said. ``A lot of the guys don't really say anything. Torry Holt and those guys kind of said a few things when I first went out there, friendly things, but it wasn't anything negative.

``(There was) nothing funny ... I think they were just kind of shocked,'' he said. ``They hadn't seen me out there before, and they're trying to get a feel for me. It's been total respect from all the guys so far.''

Brown has three interceptions, just one off the team lead. He's also been beaten a few times, most notably the game-winning, 21-yard pass by Miami wide receiver Derrius Thompson with 1:23 left to play in the Patriots' 29-28 loss on Dec. 20.

``It bothered me,'' Brown said. ``It bothered me greatly. I couldn't wait until the next week to play. They put me in the position to make a play, and I couldn't get it done. It bothered me pretty much all week long.

``But it's part of being a football player that you've got to get over things,'' he said. ``And the best way to get over it is to go out and play better the next week. That's why I couldn't wait until the next Sunday, to go out there and show everybody that I could do this job.''

HerdFans.com

« on: January 07, 2005, 03:18:01 PM »

Offline FLORIDA HERD FAN

• Heisman
    « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 07:11:48 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Great article - thanks.

It's special that Troy has decided to live in Huntington.

Offline ShawHerd

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 11:06:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There was another good article recently about Troy on here that was good but this is the first time I have seen this great article! Thanks!

Talk about Marshall's diamond in the rough.....
    "I have heard people talk about the healing process - that sounds good - or closure," Dawson told the Los Angeles Times. "I don't know what closure is, but that area of my life will never be closed. But I feel alive again. I feel I can smile again."

Offline AmeriHerd

• Rookie
    « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 01:37:33 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

• HerdFans.com

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 01:37:33 AM »