Author Topic: AJC: UGA extremes: Dooley and Donnan  (Read 2177 times)

Online W0lfman

AJC: UGA extremes: Dooley and Donnan
« on: May 15, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Donnan? Well, if a six-year career at Marshall that resulted in a 64-21 record with four trips to the 1-AA title game and one national championship is considered Hall of Fame material, so be it. But I’m with T Kyle King (no relation) of the Dawg Sports blog, who took umbrage at Donnan’s post-award announcement comments in which he seemed to reach for a bit of credit for doing “some good things” during his time at UGA that “got it started” for Mark Richt. As King put it: “Jim Donnan made few, if any, contributions to Georgia football which were both enduring and valuable” aside from redshirting David Greene. “It seems to me that everything Coach Donnan started was something Mark Richt had to fix, whether it was running off [Quincy] Carter, booting Jasper Sanks off the team, implementing meaningful player discipline, instituting mat drills, halting the losing streak to the Yellow Jackets, or winning games consistently against meaningful opposition.” No argument here.

http://blogs.ajc.com/junkyard-blawg/2009/05/14/uga-extremes-dooley-and-donnan/?cxntfid=blogs_junkyard_blawg

HerdFans.com

AJC: UGA extremes: Dooley and Donnan
    « on: May 15, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »

Offline marshallisqbu

• All American
    • Member Since 01/2011
    Re: AJC: UGA extremes: Dooley and Donnan
    « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 11:00:27 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Regardless of their opinions, I'd take Donnan back in a second.

Offline banker

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 12:34:26 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They have short memories.  In Donnan's 4 years he won 35 games at georgia (lost 15).  In the four years before he got there they were 22-22.  His worst year was 8 wins, the best of the preceeding 4 years was 6 wins.  He also won 4 consecutive bowls, something no other coach in their history has done.

Offline Chevy1

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 03:26:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • They have short memories.  In Donnan's 4 years he won 35 games at georgia (lost 15).  In the four years before he got there they were 22-22.  His worst year was 8 wins, the best of the preceeding 4 years was 6 wins.  He also won 4 consecutive bowls, something no other coach in their history has done.
    Good post banker.  I know some UGA guys - they seem to overlook those facts as well.  I have to remind them of what their record was before Donnan.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline HERDFAN1999

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:30:27 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If you use the beginning of their tenure as a benchmark then Donnan did a hell of a lot more for UGA than Richt has done.  I like coach Richt but I think they have been underachieving during his time there.  He is not near as good a recruiter as Donnan.  UGA talks big but really, what have they done?  They have big mouths with nothing to back it up.  They got their (@/:; handed to them by WVU so you know they aren't that great.  Heck, we only lost to them by 10 points with several key players injured (but playing) playing in their stadium.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.  The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - - Thomas Jefferson

Offline richmondherdfan

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 09:33:15 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My brother is a graduate of UGA and was there at the time Jim Donnan was the HC. While glad Richt is the head coach, I can assure you any logical Dawg fan realizes that Donnan was light years better than Ray Goff, who he took over for. He definitely left UGA better off than when he got there, there is no denying that. Most UGA fans don't give JD his credit, because Richt has done a phenomenal job since taking over for him, but JD definitely got them on better footing.

Also, he's going into the Hall for his Marshall accomplishments, in the 1-aa, D2, D3 division, so nothing to do with his tenure at UGA.

Offline herdfan429

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 10:23:21 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My brother is a graduate of UGA and was there at the time Jim Donnan was the HC. While glad Richt is the head coach, I can assure you any logical Dawg fan realizes that Donnan was light years better than Ray Goff, who he took over for. He definitely left UGA better off than when he got there, there is no denying that. Most UGA fans don't give JD his credit, because Richt has done a phenomenal job since taking over for him, but JD definitely got them on better footing.

Also, he's going into the Hall for his Marshall accomplishments, in the 1-aa, D2, D3 division, so nothing to do with his tenure at UGA.

Mark Richt is right behind fat Phil Fulmer in the do less with more dept. 

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 10:57:14 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

good stats banker. Looks like they are blinded by feelings over facts.

Offline herdman

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 12:00:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Donnan did pave the way for Richt, who is vastly overrated. Donnan had to build it back. Georgia is always one of those funny programs to figure out. They haven't won a title since Herschel Walker was there. But, they believe they are at the pinnacle.

Offline Huffnagel

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 12:17:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I would take Donnan back in a second as well! IMO he built the foundation for what Marshall was in the 90s.

This is not a Pruett stab, just showing a little respect for what he did.
    It's Great Being a Thundering Herd Football Fan!!!

Follow Us on Twitter!
    Follow HerdFans on Twitter @HerdFans_

Follow Us on Facebook!
    Follow HerdFans on Facebook @realHerdFans

Offline biggreenarms

• Global Moderator
    • Franchise Owner
    • Smokin' Thunder, Blues Guitar, Hillbilly Chef
    « Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 01:12:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • What's the story behind the lack of respect for Donnan from UGA? I always thought he had done a good job there.

Offline bbcard1

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    « Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 03:27:17 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Donnan was never very good at a** kissing...it was true in Huntington when he called out the fans for not showing up when the team was winning and it was true at GA...where he didn't bend over backwards for donors...and i would take him back in a heartbeat. The man was right, just not very diplomatic.  I'd trade diplomacy for bowl trophies right now.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 03:27:17 PM »

Offline Mako

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 08:43:30 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Mark Richt is right behind fat Phil Fulmer in the do less with more dept. 
    Agreed.  Everyone focuses on Fulmer winning a national championship but if Arkansas doesn't have an insanely stupid fumble, Tennessee never gets the chance at a national championship.
    "Our founding fathers ... drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations.  Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expediency's sake." - Barack Obama Inaugural Address

Offline AtlTom

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Since 02/2009
    « Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 09:04:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • My favorite Jim Donnan/UGA moment was right after UGA beat South Carolina, the first question sideline reporter Loran Smith asks Donnan was about the team getting cramps during the game.

Donnan snaps back to Loran that he didn't want to talk about "damn cramps" because beating SC was a big win for the program.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."
    Frederic Bastiat

HerdFans.com

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 09:04:31 AM »