Author Topic: A couple Herd threads on W&M board  (Read 11115 times)

HerdFans.com

A couple Herd threads on W&M board
« on: June 29, 2005, 11:08:54 AM »

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
  • Member Since 12/2009
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 11:21:57 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Been there done that, Lots of cocky ppl on that board.

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 11:22:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Wow.........i don't what im surprised the most about: 1)the majority of them think they will beat us or 2) They actually have a message board.

After reading that........i hope Snyder doesn't ever call the dogs off like Pruett would.  Let's beat the crap out of Bill, and bitchslap Mary.
    *Nothing is more powerful than the truth.
    *You will never be persuasive being abrasive.

Offline carolinaherdfan

The W & M game
    « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 11:26:23 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I love it!

Carolina,

:x

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 11:33:16 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • 65-6

nuff said
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

Offline Tribe4SF

• Rookie
    « Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 11:40:35 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • There are only a couple of guys on there who think we will win. The guy who is ready to call his bookie is more than a little out of touch. Tribe90 is a great guy who was a star for us in the late 90s.

What some don't recognize is that the cupboard is never bare at a strong I-A program like Marshall. The belief that we will at least be in the game is based on our performance last year at UNC. They were a pretty good team...good enough to beat Miami and go to a bowl. My position remains that our young QBs will have to play very well for us to have a shot.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 11:43:02 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "pokey"
    i hope Snyder doesn't ever call the dogs off like Pruett would.

I said the same thing reading those threads night before last. As I said, lots of cocky ppl over there. They made it all the way to the simi finals last year in the playoffs. I remember that kind of talent. Not making it all the way. Most of that talent wouldn't even be looked at Marshall now. I think Mike Cochran will have a lot to do with this game, even though he will never be on the field.

I hope Snyder makes this his statement game.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 11:45:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Based on what you guys did last year and understanding you have about 17 returning starters back I can understand the optimisim your fans have of beating us.  Especially considering the question marks with have concerning our own team.  I hope our guys dont take anything for granted in our opener because I know the top D1aa teams are damn tough.  And I consider W&M a top D1aa team.

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 11:49:54 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Tribe4SF"
    There are only a couple of guys on there who think we will win. The guy who is ready to call his bookie is more than a little out of touch. Tribe90 is a great guy who was a star for us in the late 90s.

What some don't recognize is that the cupboard is never bare at a strong I-A program like Marshall. The belief that we will at least be in the game is based on our performance last year at UNC. They were a pretty good team...good enough to beat Miami and go to a bowl. My position remains that our young QBs will have to play very well for us to have a shot.

Ok, to use your reasoning.....we played at Ohio St, and they beat us on a last second FG..........using your analysis with UNC last year, my analysis says that playing you guys at home is MUCH easier than playing on the road at Ohio St, or UGA as far as that goes.  As the last few years unwound, we took the weaker teams on our schedule for granted (not a slap at you all, but compared to the rest of our schedule, you are one of the weaker teams).  Having competition at almost every position, with someone trying to impress the new coach for playing time, i don't think that we will be overlooking anyone this year, or have lack of motivation.  You basically have nobody on your team who can stop Ahmad Bradshaw.......call it a close game if you'd like (it might be), but i wouldn't call the bookie on it.

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 12:04:52 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Okay, enough smack, my real reasoning as to why we win, and win handily.

1) New Coach=New motivation
    2) Competition at each position eliminates complacency
    3) OLine will be improved, remember our 3rd qtr drive against Ohio St. where we ran it straight down their throat?  Don't think Snyder has forgotten it......that will be expected and the norm this year...........not just the blocking, but the attitude of that drive.
    4) No superstars?  Maybe, but talent galore--AB, Filer, Keyes, Royal, Smith, Hawkins, Couch.......more talent than W&M would like to see.
    5) Even though we lost our front 7, many of the replacements have TONS of playing time behind them.  Does anyone remember how good Adrian Davis looked on the DLine last year when he was in?  I thought better than the starters.  Matt Couch, Donte Newsome at LB...plenty of playing time......shutdown secondary coupled with you guys having a new QB in his first start......W&M will become one dimensional against us.....ingredient for a big loss.

I understand that games are played on the field, and for a good reason......because anything could happen..........but we have a 94% winning percentage at home since 1991, and a new coach with a new fire.  Bring your A-Game please.

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 12:06:08 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • not to mention that AB will have a lead blocker this year, and one that can knock your chin through the back of your head......Will Albin.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 12:13:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "pokey"
    Ok, to use your reasoning.....we played at Ohio St, and they beat us on a last second FG..........using your analysis with UNC last year, my analysis says that playing you guys at home is MUCH easier than playing on the road at Ohio St, or UGA as far as that goes.

UNC and John Bunting took WM lightly last year, but in the end WM had their hands on their hips at the begining of the 4th qtr. Where UNC was still ready to play. And the final score showed it.

I don't see Snyder taking this or anyone lightly. If you just listen to him he can motivate you everytime.

Ahmad Bradshaw

Will Albin

HerdFans.com

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 12:13:54 PM »

Offline marshalljeff

• All American
    « Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 01:00:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You know who these W&M fans sound like?  They sound like another group whose Div 1AA team and fans were full of confidence, pride and swagger......  Sound familiar?

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 01:23:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marshalljeff"
    You know who these W&M fans sound like?  They sound like another group whose Div 1AA team and fans were full of confidence, pride and swagger......  Sound familiar?

Yes, they do kinda remind me of Miami of Ohio fans now that you mention it.

Offline marshalljeff

• All American
    « Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 01:27:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Careful pokey, there may be some crow still stuck between your teeth from the Troy game.

Offline Tribe4SF

• Rookie
    « Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 01:29:56 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    You know who these W&M fans sound like?  They sound like another group whose Div 1AA team and fans were full of confidence, pride and swagger......  Sound familiar?

If the comparison is to The Herd in their day, I can only hope our success comes close to what Marshall achieved. There is a belief that we are moving to the top of I-AA. Most of us remain realistic about our chances in this game. After all, JMU lost big to WVU last year and then went on to win the national championship.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 01:34:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Careful pokey, there may be some crow still stuck between your teeth from the Troy game.

Troy never beat us as a I-AA

2002    Oct 19    Troy    W    24    7    
    1998    Sep 12    Troy    W    42    12         
    1993    Dec 11    Troy    W    24    21         
    ==============================================

They sound like Appy and GA Southern fans when we were in the SoCon.

Offline carolinaherdfan

W & M game
    « Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 01:36:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Well I don't think W & M reminds me of Cryami at all. I do believe MU will win the ballgame, but I also believe we need to take W & M  seriously, because remember back 10/15 years ago when we were the W & M, and we went to NC State. They very well can compete on the same type of level. Let's all give W & M their dues, and make certain the Herd understands how good these guy's are. JMO.

Carolina,

Offline marshalljeff

• All American
    « Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 01:37:55 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Herdzone, you're missing the point.
    Pokey knows what I'm talking about.

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 01:38:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Careful pokey, there may be some crow still stuck between your teeth from the Troy game.

im not guaranteeing anything this year on emotions..........like i did last year against Troy.....im rationally looking things over this year.......im saying 6-5 possibly 7-4 record, with a nice statement made by the fans and the team against W&M.......one team will be pumped up, one team will play nervous.  We are starting a new QB, but so are they........i like our secondary's chances against their new QB, than i do their chances against ours..........Matchups are the name of the game......Troy outmatched us with their D-Line, the difference in that game........that won't happen this year against W&M.  We will be able to run against W&M, and take pressure off of the passing game.........Troy had the talent to slow down AB....plus it was his first game ever, W&M won't be able to slow him down in his second year, with a better oline, and a good lead blocker in Albin............i just don't see that happening.  I won't go as far as guaranteeing anything again when it comes to football.  But they are bringing in a new QB in front of 30K plus rocking fans with a shutdown secondary...........better hope they have more than 1 good RB.......because Newsome and Couch might be looking for some blood.

Offline Tribe4SF

• Rookie
    « Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 01:39:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "HerdZone"

UNC and John Bunting took WM lightly last year, but in the end WM had their hands on their hips at the begining of the 4th qtr. Where UNC was still ready to play. And the final score showed it.

I don't see Snyder taking this or anyone lightly. If you just listen to him he can motivate you everytime.

I can tell you that they didn't take us lightly for long. The big difference in that game was depth. It was extremely hot, and UNC began platooning their O-line in the 2nd quarter. By the 4th, our defensive front was worn out. Our offense played well til the final bell.

Offline marshalljeff

• All American
    « Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 01:40:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • For the love of........

I guess clarification is in order;

1.Marshall was who I was talking about when I mentioned confident, prideful fans from a Div 1AA team.
    2.Pokey talked a lot of trash to Troy fans before the game last year.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 01:40:39 PM »

Offline carolinaherdfan

W & M Football
    « Reply #22 on: June 29, 2005, 01:41:06 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Tribe4SF"
    Quote from: "marshalljeff"

If the comparison is to The Herd in their day, I can only hope our success comes close to what Marshall achieved. There is a belief that we are moving to the top of I-AA. Most of us remain realistic about our chances in this game. After all, JMU lost big to WVU last year and then went on to win the national championship.

No they really didn't. That game was closer than anyone around WVU would ever admit.

Carolina,

Offline pokey

• Red Shirt
    • Varsity
    « Reply #23 on: June 29, 2005, 01:45:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    For the love of........

I guess clarification is in order;

1.Marshall was who I was talking about when I mention confident, prideful fans.
    2.Pokey talked a lot of trash to Troy fans before the game last year.

Hey, i talked trash to Troy fans and ate it graciously when we lost.
    The last time i checked their threads, it's the W&M fans who are almost guaranteeing victory against the Herd...........sure they are good, but so are we......look at the matchups......size, speed, our db's vs. their QB, our rb's vs thier lb's, etc...........it will be a close game for a while until we get our game feet under us.

Offline mrherd05

• Junior Varsity
    « Reply #24 on: June 29, 2005, 01:51:14 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Actually Pokey, I am talking my fair bit of smack over there now...it is fun..we actually rarely got to do this when playing in the MAC, and now I can enjoy doing this with a 1-AA team..geez the MAC sucks.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2005, 01:51:14 PM »