Author Topic: Don't shoot me, just reporting what I was told by someone...  (Read 11979 times)

Offline Shepherdstown5150

• Junior Varsity
I did not say the money went to Louisville
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2005, 07:36:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Maybe it went to the teams that WVU had to get at a late date to go to Morgantown for 1-0 games?

HerdFans.com

I did not say the money went to Louisville
    « Reply #50 on: April 20, 2005, 07:36:53 PM »

Offline greenskeeper

• Heisman
    • Member Since 01/2010
    Up the KaZoo
    « Reply #51 on: April 20, 2005, 08:10:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • so my question is this...if western is giving it to us up the Kazoo now, why would western CHANGE course in the future? They blocked us before, they will block us again...besides I like the new CUSA. Mississippi is alot warmer than Ohio in November!
    What do you call a place where the coaches are drunks, the players pistol whip local citizens and the fans mug and rob expecting mothers ? You call it - THE FLAGSHIP PROGRAM IN THE STATE OF WV!!! Ollie Luck AD

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    Re: Up the KaZoo
    « Reply #52 on: April 20, 2005, 08:36:05 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "greenskeeper"
    I like the new CUSA. Mississippi is alot warmer than Ohio in November!

As much as Im gonna like CUSA GK, they will not lose the BCS and its all about money. Either you hate it, or you join it. And thats what Marshall is trying to position itself to do.

Offline goherd73

Re: I did not say the money went to Louisville
    « Reply #53 on: April 21, 2005, 02:31:48 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "Shepherdstown5150"
    Maybe it went to the teams that WVU had to get at a late date to go to Morgantown for 1-0 games?

I don't think that's the case. Idaho, Miami O and Kent State (I think those were the three)  If they offered those three more than us then that proves the point that wvu was trying to short change us. If they paid them less than what we were to get paid then they have no complaint. Either way there is no money loss for wvu.

It's simply untrue that wvu lost money "big time" when we refused to sign on to the remaining games.  However it's not stopped wvu fans from telling this lie in order to make their point.

Offline Blade

Re: Up the KaZoo
    « Reply #54 on: April 21, 2005, 07:08:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "greenskeeper"
    so my question is this...if western is giving it to us up the Kazoo now, why would western CHANGE course in the future?

We don't know how they'll act in the future.  Sometimes you roll the dice hoping that it comes up seven.

They blocked us before, they will block us again...

Not so sure.  I thought so the last time around until the minutes came out of BC about the expansion.  We weren't positioned athletically, academically or facility-wise for the BE in my opinion.

besides I like the new CUSA. Mississippi is alot warmer than Ohio in November!

Now with that, my Herd Brother, I cannot disagree.  I be lovin' the road trips this fall!   :cool:

Offline WVU_Rules

• Rookie
    Very interesting thread ............................
    « Reply #55 on: April 21, 2005, 02:23:09 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • IMHO it seems that both sides of the issue may have inflated views of their worth to the other.  And it seems that both are infatuated with the concept of "fairness."  

Is their such a thing as fair negotiations?  In this case both parties are not equal and both are looking at achieving their individual goals and objectives which are not mutual.

This negotiation will sort out the wheat from the chaff or both parties will walk away and negotiate with those that come closer to achievement of like goals and objectives.

Finally, if life were fair then we all should be billionaires.  Unfortunately, my bank account won't bear this out.

Cheers,
    Ivan

Anonymous

Don't shoot me, just reporting what I was told by someone...
    « Reply #56 on: April 21, 2005, 05:20:53 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Are you another WVU apologist? Ole Miss plays Memphis every year in a 1 for 1, a SEC school playing a CUSA school equally and fairly.  They are only an hour away from each other and the alumni love it.  Perhaps we should take a leson from them.  

Play us here and we'll play you up north.

Offline WVU_Rules

• Rookie
    « Reply #57 on: April 21, 2005, 05:47:59 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • In answer to your question NO.

Regarding your example => two different schools with obviously mutual interests.

WVU and MU negotiations will sort out the reality in a business sense and both will move in their own self-interest.  It will either happen or it won't but if it does it will be the result of hard negotiations driven by each sides overall objectives NOT the pundits on bulletin boards.
    Ivan

Anonymous

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2005, 06:04:36 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WVU fan,
       My point is that they are 2 schools in 2 different conferneces, with Ole Miss having much more to lose to Memphis, than WVU has (in a much inferior conference than the SEC) has to lose by playing Marshall. Playing us will actually help your SOS, rather than playing Rutgers, South florida etc (which you have to anyway).

Let's play, minus the politics. Politics just screws things up anyway.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #59 on: April 21, 2005, 06:14:11 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Ole Miss has lost 2 in a row to Memphis, they lose this year and they will cancel the series. At least for awile anyway, until powers shift back to were Memphis is bad and Ole Miss is doing OK.

Offline WVU_Rules

• Rookie
    Duh ................
    « Reply #60 on: April 21, 2005, 06:20:45 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Yep, your point was quite obvious without an expanded explaination.

You obviously don't understand my point.  I said nothing of politics, could not care less.  Both parties will either agree or disagree based upon solid business practices.  Optimally, both sides will grow with an agreement.  But in negotiations, frequently, there are winners and losers in the short- or long-term.  The art may be to take a short-term loss for a long-term gain.  I can only place my trust in the REAL deal makers vs. the opinions of the interested.

Frankly, I could not care less if we ever play.   There are always other buyers in the marketplace.
    Ivan

Offline DJdaHERDfan

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2005, 09:06:38 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Frankly, I could not care less if we ever play. There are always other buyers in the marketplace

That's one thing we agree on.

I would like to see the game played for "state reasons" but I could care less if Marshall ever plays WVU because frankly, MU does not solely need WVU for survival. We have proven that we can manage just well on our own.
    Obviously, WVU can manage well without Marshall.

IMO.......this is a case where little brother has finally grown up and can trade punches with big brother.
    Big brother used to have his own club of bigger and better members. Now his club has lost some of those big/better members and at the same time, little brother has become good enough to join big brother's club.
    Now comes the time for big brother to swallow his pride and accept little brother and acknowledge his growth and accomplishments.
    So big brother throws out a bone to little brother.
    Accepting that bone means the start of a new brotherhood between the brothers.
    But..............little brother wants to know what it will cost him if he accepts that bone. Because, even though little brother and big brother are now grown men, little brother will always know how arrogant and elitist big brother can be when it comes to doing business.
    IT'S TAILGATING SEASON!

HerdFans.com

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2005, 09:06:38 PM »

Anonymous

Re: Duh ................
    « Reply #62 on: April 21, 2005, 09:31:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "WVU_Rules"
    There are always other buyers in the marketplace.

That is very true. However, when you don't have much to sell (with Miami & VT gone) and with an extremely weak conference schedule, I'm not sure you'll do that well with the bigger buyers such as PSU, OSU, Miami, Tennessee. Do you think any of those schools will actually agree to a 1 for 1 with you?  The days of elitist big brother spouting fire arrows from the Big East are over.  The Big East (Least) lost those arrows when the "flagship programs" jumped ship.  Without Miami and VT, your new SOS is in the 80's - 90's.  WVU needs challenging out of conference games, the likes of Cincinnati are gone becuase they are in your conference, whose next? UCF? A directional Louisiana School? Miami OH? In addition to Rutgers, Syracuse, and USF. Last time I checked, we are much better than them and can actually help your SOS. Why play them (out of conference teams) and not play us?  

Any business man is going to try and get what's best for them. Will you sell out to PSU, OSU, Miami, and Tennessee for a 2 for 1?  We have done that. Those schools aren't coming to MoTown for an equal deal, unless of course JoePa has a mental lapse concering eastern football, which he occasionally does.  This all points to us being equals, and heaven forbid when the Big East football members seperate in 5 years and perhaps Marshall becomes a member? What's going to hapen then? Oh wait Big East, we can't play them in a 1 for 1, they are our little brother.  As in life, little brother usually grows up, and when he does, look out for what you've done to him when you were bigger and supposedly better.

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    « Reply #63 on: April 21, 2005, 10:52:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "DJdaHERDfan"
    Now comes the time for big brother to swallow his pride and accept little brother and acknowledge his growth and accomplishments.

That will never happen, never has anywhere. KY still hasn't accepted Louisville. Ohio State will never accept Cincy. In many ways Kansas has never accepted Kansas State. It will never happen here.

Offline WVU_Rules

• Rookie
    « Reply #64 on: April 21, 2005, 10:57:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WOW, just wow ......

I never said I had "much to sell' and I mentioned no other buyers by name.  Please don't put words in my mouth.  I don't dictate the deals with anyone in this case so asking me what I would do in X for X deals with other programs is really not relevant.  Then again opinions are like noses, everyone has one and they all smell.  

Let's just agree to disagree or whatever.  Market forces will dictate the future of both programs.  Good luck with that.
    Ivan

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2005, 11:13:41 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • before this becomes the pissing match between MU/wvu that its most certain to become...I want you to know how much I think your quote below is right on target.

Market forces will dictate the future of both programs.

A lot of your market luster has been lost with the leaving of BC, UM and VT while our luster is getting brighter after ditching the MAC.  You guys will get the hint how much we can help each other when you have back to back to back games with UConn, Rutgers and Cincy.  That'll make our "market forces" cross pathes.  I guarantee it.  What I just hope is, our AD doesnt jump on some BS offer to play a 5-2 with you guys before the reality of continued non-sellouts sits in with your AD.  We offer you a guarenteed sellout, and everyone knows it.

Anonymous

« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2005, 11:34:51 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • W0lfman to the rescue.  Sellouts sound good to this business man, which means more $$$$$ to the bottom line.  However, this busines man also knows when he is getting screwed. A 5-2 smells just as bad as anyones "nose."

HOOK EM HERD

Offline Pantherfan2004

• Rookie
    Regarding Ole Miss and Memphis
    « Reply #67 on: April 21, 2005, 11:41:34 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Memphis' stadium holds more than Ole Miss' stadium which would allow for most if not all Ole Miss fans that want to attend the ability to get a ticket.  Couple that with the fact that the City of Memphis has a lot to offer visitors, and the short distance between the two schools, its a very attractive game for Ole Miss.

I'm not sure you can compare the two situations.

Anonymous

« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2005, 11:51:21 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You are right, however, Huntington has a lot more to offer than Morgantown, minus a few burning couches.

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2005, 11:54:24 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    You are right, however, Huntington has a lot more to offer than Morgantown, minus a few burning couches.
    Yet another ear excuse busted.  lol

By the way "pantherfan" why did you not get into the Pitt uni thread? Curious why you would pass on posting a comment there for a comment in a MU/wvu thread.  :???:

Anonymous

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2005, 12:05:07 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • ........as a Pennsylvania native, anytime a Pitt fan posts in favor of WVU, it must be scrutinized heavily.  Good job W0lfman.

Offline Shepherdstown5150

• Junior Varsity
    As posted on another board
    « Reply #71 on: April 22, 2005, 06:48:18 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • WVU's offer is on the table as a "take it on leave it" offer and no one is really sure if it is a 3-1 or 5-2. MU must decide by June 30 or WVU moves on to a VT deal with a home, away, DC series or a PSU series with the same deal but one game in Pittsburg.

HerdFans.com

As posted on another board
    « Reply #71 on: April 22, 2005, 06:48:18 AM »

Offline 2xBison

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2005, 07:14:24 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • panther fan is just another lying, phony, no backbone wvu fan

what a joke.

i'll give him this though, he's made an @ss of himself several times and continues to return
    QB Club
    Tipoff Club
    Corner Kick Club

Offline W0lfman

« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2005, 08:37:58 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    WVU's offer is on the table as a "take it on leave it" offer and no one is really sure if it is a 3-1 or 5-2.
    If its either of those we move on no questions asked.  I'd go so far as doing a two for one to start the series which would actually be a three for one since we played there in 97.  After that home and home.

Offline biggreenthunder

• All American
    « Reply #74 on: April 22, 2005, 08:43:31 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think we're missing the point of the negotiations guys.  It's not a matter if Marshall will accept a 5-2 or WVU will accept a 1-1.  Negotiations are apparently over.  It's all but done.  It's just a matter of finding out which team's fans are going to feel royally screwed.  Debating which contract is fair at this point is moot.  It's already been decided.  Now we just have to wait until next week to see if the NCAA passes the 12th game.
    Gatorade sucks.  Water is better.

HerdFans.com

« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2005, 08:43:31 AM »