Author Topic: Coach Info.  (Read 10531 times)

Offline The Right Stuff

Coach Info.
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2007, 10:23:28 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Sorry Yogi I thought my post didn't go through so I hit the submit button one too many times.  On another point Yogi, man the "rock chalk Jayhawks" ran into a buzz saw tonight.  I think the Bruins are going to win it all.

TRS
    MU 71

HerdFans.com

Coach Info.
    « Reply #75 on: March 24, 2007, 10:23:28 PM »

Offline GreenBison

Re: ...
    « Reply #76 on: March 24, 2007, 10:35:42 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "CJHerdgrad"
    Quote from: "_sturt_"
    Living in the past.

That's what you're doing.

It's like saying, because a guy waited tables and delivered newspapers for a long time, he's not going to be anybody.

Yeah... that Sam Walton never amounted to much.

I'm not exactly comfortable here playing Donnie Jones apologist, because as I've indicated, I do think there are other very legitimate candidates as worthy if not more so.

But some of you approach this from one issue on the resume, period, and are just not thinking critically whatsoever.

Get a grip.

He's not coming to us as the restricted earnings coach. He was that. He's not now.

Sam Walton was a newsboy and a waiter. He paid his dues, and when he got the chance to exploit what he'd learned, he did pretty good in spite of the naysayers.

Donnie Jones is the Associate Head Coach of a program that could very well be national champions.

If you don't get that that hire would be the most auspicious hire in the history of Marshall basketball, perhaps you should just join your friends who thought Tubby wasn't good enough for UK and are about to endure the consequences--the attitude is eerily similar, kids.

Sheesh.

Well said....

You also could have mentioned that college dropout, Bill Gates (whatever happened to that guy?  That loser conned his dad into loaning him something like $1000 to play with his little home computer thing...like that would ever work)

Actually, he bought DOS from an individual and he stole code from Apple to make Windows.
    The smell of arcrid smoke and horses breath - The Trooper - Steve Harris

Offline Chevy1

Coach Info.
    « Reply #77 on: March 24, 2007, 10:39:31 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • If any sensible candidate read this thread, they'd turn the job down.  Can't believe how some have reacted to this stupid rumor.

AGAIN... this rumor is from a source that has been wrong in the past..... the very recent past.

Everyone should be VERY leery of someone posting confidential information on an internet message board.  You have to wonder if the person feeding info to Chez knows it's ending up on a message board (which I have to believe he does), and, if so, then why would he/she share confidential info that's sure to become public?  The search committee is probably still conducting interviews, will need time to get back to candidates before making an announcement, etc.

Then there's always the possibility that Chez's source isn't that close to the search.  

However, if they are close to the process and are privy to confidential info, then shame on him/her for making it public before the process has run its course.  An intelligent person should wonder how that kind of behavior is suppose support the university.  Sounds like someone that wants their candidate.... which may or may not be the best candidate.  

Releasing names before the candidates are officially selected is one of the slimiest and oldest tricks in the book.  I know of one university president who withdrew their name when that info was made public.  They simply didn't want anything to do with a university that has that kind of "support".  I would think any viable candidate would be suspicious of this back alley tactic.

Folks we should be attacking the rumor - not the coaching candidates.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline chezdog30

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • All American
    • Member Since 01/2011
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #78 on: March 24, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • You guys can say what you want, but Reynolds and Ferell both want DJ. Reynolds is there for a purpose, and its not his opinions. There is a national search going on right now, and it works like this..

Send us your resume
    We will review it
    We will interview 3 to 5
    We will tell you thanks, but no thanks
    Donnie Jones, you are our next head coach.

That is a national search.

I still cant believe some of you that wanted Jirsa gone and are already ticked because we are hiring Floridas associate head coach? Give me a break. Be glad that Jirsa is out of here and we are on the move. Lets get something else straight...and this is not my opinion.

Greg Marshall is NOT interested
    Pete Gillen is NOT interested
    John Pelphrey IS interested
    Brian Poore IS interested
    DAntoni is laughing
    Donnie Jones IS waiting

Some of you must remember that MU does not have an attractive job for a coach. Do you really think that coaches see it easy to recruit talent to Huntington WV? We cant even keep the talent in our own doorstep. Donnie Jones has the backing of Reynolds, Farell, Coach Donivan, and alot of other boosters. And for those of you that think the boosters like Reynolds dont have a say? Whom do you think is going to pony up the money to hire one of these guys. Donnie Jones isnt coming here for Jirsa pay and neither is John Pelphrey.

What kind of message is MU sending by allowing Reynolds to be on the search committee when he was single handedly responsible for our sanctions with football? That should tell you just how important he is going to be for FINANCIAL reasoning with bball. I know Marshall and he is an asset to the Herd, but this did not come from him.

Its funny that some of you will flame other herd posters even if they agree with you. I have had the Jirsa staying thing thrown up a thousand times by the same people. Put it this way, if Bobby Pruett tells you something would you believe it? Just wondering.

Get on board and support the new coach. I dont care if its DJ or Pelphrey, we are doing a heck of alot better than we were with Jirsa. If we dont support the new coach with more effort and money, we will be back in the same boat we were in. The ONLY people whom have a right to flame our new coach is the people whom thought RJ deserved another decade to right the ship.

Offline GreenKnight

• All American
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #79 on: March 24, 2007, 11:50:58 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "chezdog30"
    Some of you must remember that MU does not have an attractive job for a coach. Do you really think that coaches see it easy to recruit talent to Huntington WV?

Kayo, is that you? What about having nice facilities or being in a premium conference?

Quote from: "chezdog30"
    What kind of message is MU sending by allowing Reynolds to be on the search committee when he was single handedly responsible for our sanctions with football?

Marshall(the university) should consider themselves lucky that he is willing to come back and share his money. Marshall Reynolds was used as a scape goat for the entire NCAA incident.

Put it this way, if Bobby Pruett tells you something would you believe it? Just wondering.

Why shouldn't we?

I HATE'M IF THEY AIN'T THE HERD!
    - Stick4489

IF STUPID HURT, PEOPLE WOULDN'T DO IT!

Offline sdfgoherd

• All American
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #80 on: March 25, 2007, 12:09:41 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Boosters have a role to play and they have influence, but I believe Kopp is his own man and will not hire a coach because Marshall Reynolds wants him hired.

Offline Buffalo Bop

Coach Info.
    « Reply #81 on: March 25, 2007, 12:36:38 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    ......Donnie Jones isn't coming here for Jirsa pay and neither is John Pelphrey......

Get on board and support the new coach. I don't care if its DJ or Pelphrey, we are doing a heck of alot better than we were with Jirsa. If we dont support the new coach with more effort and money, we will be back in the same boat we were in. The ONLY people whom have a right to flame our new coach is the people whom thought RJ deserved another decade to right the ship.

Amen Chez.  :mad:

Offline HerdZone

• Hall of Famer
    • Member Since 12/2009
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #82 on: March 25, 2007, 12:44:37 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    if Bobby Pruett tells you something would you believe it? Just wondering.

Put it this way, Id rather have Pruett as the HC in the Henderson Center than Donnie Jones

Offline marshallmark

Coach Info.
    « Reply #83 on: March 25, 2007, 01:45:04 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I've watched this thread for a couple of days now without saying anything.  But, now I feel compelled:

Chez lost all credibility with me when he assured us that Jirsa was staying.  I knew from one of the decision makers that he would not be staying, and that everyone in the decision making process knew Ron wouldn't be staying.  That told me that Chez's 'informant' wasn't very high up on the food chain.

Now, he's saying the job is Donnie's to turn down.  MY information is that the committee is actively seeking current or former HEAD coaches and will only resort (if that's the right term) to an ass't if any of the targeted head coaches can't be recruited.  Smock has termed Chuck's column (basically parroting Chez's position) as a "bunch of crap" -- and, for me, I trust Doug a LOT more than I trust Chez and/or Chuck (unless, of course, they are one in the same!)

Patience is difficult, but it IS a virtue.  Be patient.  Don't listen to Chez.  

Peace out.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline Flat Tire

• All American
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #84 on: March 25, 2007, 08:01:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "GreenKnight"
    Some of you must remember that MU does not have an attractive job for a coach. Do you really think that coaches see it easy to recruit talent to Huntington WV?

Kayo, is that you? What about having nice facilities or being in a premium conference?

What kind of message is MU sending by allowing Reynolds to be on the search committee when he was single handedly responsible for our sanctions with football?

Marshall(the university) should consider themselves lucky that he is willing to come back and share his money. Marshall Reynolds was used as a scape goat for the entire NCAA incident.

Put it this way, if Bobby Pruett tells you something would you believe it? Just wondering.

Why shouldn't we?

Is chezdog30 a sock puppet for KO? Inquiring minds want to know.

Offline Flat Tire

• All American
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #85 on: March 25, 2007, 08:05:25 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marshallmark"
    I've watched this thread for a couple of days now without saying anything.  But, now I feel compelled:

Chez lost all credibility with me when he assured us that Jirsa was staying.  I knew from one of the decision makers that he would not be staying, and that everyone in the decision making process knew Ron wouldn't be staying.  That told me that Chez's 'informant' wasn't very high up on the food chain.

Now, he's saying the job is Donnie's to turn down.  MY information is that the committee is actively seeking current or former HEAD coaches and will only resort (if that's the right term) to an ass't if any of the targeted head coaches can't be recruited.  Smock has termed Chuck's column (basically parroting Chez's position) as a "bunch of crap" -- and, for me, I trust Doug a LOT more than I trust Chez and/or Chuck (unless, of course, they are one in the same!)

Patience is difficult, but it IS a virtue.  Be patient.  Don't listen to Chez.  

Peace out.

I hope you are correct. I have been a MU supporter for many years and have seen some unbelievable mistakes by our University. I am sure the Mason County and Salt Rock crowd want to see their homey hired. But, we need to take a new approach because we are now at a higher level in CUSA.

Offline herdman

Coach Info.
    « Reply #86 on: March 25, 2007, 08:21:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I agree with marshallmark. As I posted on herdnation they have a solid package put together and are targeting certain person(s).  I don't know who it is but, I don't think Donnie Jones is a lock.  They know what the last mistake in hiring the wrong person cost them.  Ron Jirsa was a dead duck from Christmas time on unless a miracle happened and it didn't.  Be patient.  It might take until mid April.  I would not lock Donnie Jones into the job.  Plus, I don't think Marcum is calling all the shots.

HerdFans.com

Coach Info.
    « Reply #86 on: March 25, 2007, 08:21:10 AM »

Offline marcbuff

geez
    « Reply #87 on: March 25, 2007, 08:23:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I really don't understand the opposition to Donnie Jones. Pelphrey and Anthony Grant have came from Billy Ds staff and succeeded. According to Gator fans, DJ is the TOP recruiter, organizer of camps and practices and Billy Ds go to guy for advice.They HATE losing him as the glue of the staff as one said.

Offline herdman

Coach Info.
    « Reply #88 on: March 25, 2007, 08:25:52 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I don't think there is so much oppositon to D Jones but, I think what most of us what is a quality search and a list of qualfied applicants.  This is a crucial hire and we want it to the right selection that comes at the end of a very thorough search.

Offline Flat Tire

• All American
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #89 on: March 25, 2007, 08:31:49 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • I think of a lot of us realize Jones is being pushed hard by Kayo. With Kayo's record of picking basketball coaches, I don't want to take a chance with his boy. Plus, Jones does not have much experience. Let him pay his dues and get some more experience and we can take a look at him the next time the job opens.

Offline Buffalo Bop

Re: geez
    « Reply #90 on: March 25, 2007, 08:53:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marcbuff"
    I really don't understand the opposition to Donnie Jones. Pelphrey and Anthony Grant have came from Billy Ds staff and succeeded. According to Gator fans, DJ is the TOP recruiter, organizer of camps and practices and Billy Ds go to guy for advice.They HATE losing him as the glue of the staff as one said.

I don't get it either Marcbuff. So if DJ gets hired then some of you are going to believe it wasn't by due process or Marcum's guy was pushed thru. That is simply unbelievable. Jeesh.

Offline w-sherdfan

• Rookie
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #91 on: March 25, 2007, 09:03:10 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "HerdZone"
    Ive supported this team up until now but I refuse to if this is true. I hope he loses every game when he gets here.

That HAS to be the most a$$inine thing I've ever read.................

Go HERD !!!

Offline Chevy1

Coach Info.
    « Reply #92 on: March 25, 2007, 09:04:29 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Put it this way, if Bobby Pruett tells you something would you believe it? Just wondering. .

So, is Bobby your source?  If so, does he know you're posting what he tells you on the internet moments after he's confided in you?  Or is throwing his name our there in this fashion just another way to divert who is really feeding the info?

Chez, you've cried wolf once too often.

BTW, if you're going to throw Farrell's name around, at least spell it correctly.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline marshallmark

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2007, 09:32:32 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    I really don't understand the opposition to Donnie Jones. Pelphrey and Anthony Grant have came from Billy Ds staff and succeeded. According to Gator fans, DJ is the TOP recruiter, organizer of camps and practices and Billy Ds go to guy for advice.They HATE losing him as the glue of the staff as one said.

I don't think there is any opposition to Donnie, per se, marcbuff.  I like Donnie, and think he could be very successful here.  The problem is that last sentence:  I THINK he could be.  

I KNOW Pete Gillen, or John Pelphrey or Gregg Marshall WOULD be because of their track record.  We are now in C-USA -- now there are 20+ conferences that are below us that we can 'poach' from.  When we were in the SC, we didn't have that luxury.  Even when we were in the MAC, former or current head coaches don't line up to go to the MAC.  They DO for C-USA.  Davis, Penders, Estachy, Daugherty, etc. fit that bill and we should start there.
    "Tell your friends, I can confirm you held your own against the brothers. :)"

- E-Man

Offline Photo by

• Global Moderator
    • Hall of Famer
    « Reply #94 on: March 25, 2007, 09:36:53 AM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0

As silly as this sounds the trend in the opinion of where good coaches come from changes from time to time.

As of late the trend is to hire successful coaches from a level down. It seems a few years ago it was to hire assistants from large programs. As soon as an assistant makes a big splash as a HC it will swing back the other way.

In reality it comes down to the individual. I'm sure there are a boatload of assistant coaches out there that will make great HC's. And I'm sure that there are a boatload of highly successful coaches at smaller programs the wouldn't be able to make the transition to a higher level.

Personally, I'd start with the head coaches, but I'd certainly interview some top assistants, Donnie Jones for one, Tony Jones for another.

"If you count victories in terms of perseverance, commitment, and determination our team went undefeated in ’71."
    ...Jack Lengyel

Online Garbanjo

• Benefactors of HerdFans
    • Assistant Coach
    • Marco's Den Member Since 02/2009
    Coach Info.
    « Reply #95 on: March 25, 2007, 01:07:18 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    I don't think there is any opposition to Donnie, per se, marcbuff. I like Donnie, and think he could be very successful here. The problem is that last sentence: I THINK he could be.

I KNOW Pete Gillen, or John Pelphrey or Gregg Marshall WOULD be because of their track record. We are now in C-USA -- now there are 20+ conferences that are below us that we can 'poach' from. When we were in the SC, we didn't have that luxury. Even when we were in the MAC, former or current head coaches don't line up to go to the MAC. They DO for C-USA. Davis, Penders, Estachy, Daugherty, etc. fit that bill and we should start there.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Bring it marshallmark!

Offline GreenSteve

Coach Info.
    « Reply #96 on: March 25, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "marshallmark"
    I've watched this thread for a couple of days now without saying anything.  But, now I feel compelled:

Patience is difficult, but it IS a virtue.  Be patient. Don't listen to Chez.  

Peace out.

It's a fluid situation, we all have different "sources" and there appears to be several factions on the Committee...All of those circumstances account for varying information.

I like listening to everybody...Except AtlTom....

GreenSteve.
    "The world is full of crackers and belly-button rings..." - Blue Tip - The Cars.

HerdFans.com

Coach Info.
    « Reply #96 on: March 25, 2007, 01:13:39 PM »

Offline catbird70

• All American
    Re: Coach Info.
    « Reply #97 on: March 25, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    Here is what I was told tonight, by a person whom has a vote:

Donnie Jones has the job....unless he turns it down.
    Salary of 310K plus incentives (best he could remember)
    Total package worth 405-425K
    Donnie will seek improvements to Cam, and input on marketing the team
    Possible deal with Florida visiting the Cam as early as next year in the works with Florida AD. Billy Donnivan supporting.

There you go. I trust that this is the truth, or at least what this gentleman expects to happen. I think that DJ is our best option, and will bring fans and winning back to the CAM.

if thats true that means that they didnt do a legit search for the best qualified candidate....what a shame....another MArshall blunder.....

with so many Huntingtonians on the BOG....it doesnt suprise me that they would feel the heat to hire a fellow huntingtonian......

I would have expected more out of MR...he has had his hand in on some well qualified hirings in the past.....

too bad....I will have to search hard to muster any support from within me....

Offline herdgameplan

Coach Info.
    « Reply #98 on: March 25, 2007, 02:06:13 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
    You guys can say what you want, but Reynolds and Ferell both want DJ. Reynolds is there for a purpose, and its not his opinions. There is a national search going on right now, and it works like this..

Send us your resume
    We will review it
    We will interview 3 to 5
    We will tell you thanks, but no thanks
    Donnie Jones, you are our next head coach.

That is a national search.

I still cant believe some of you that wanted Jirsa gone and are already ticked because we are hiring Floridas associate head coach? Give me a break. Be glad that Jirsa is out of here and we are on the move. Lets get something else straight...and this is not my opinion.

Greg Marshall is NOT interested
    Pete Gillen is NOT interested
    John Pelphrey IS interested
    Brian Poore IS interested
    DAntoni is laughing
    Donnie Jones IS waiting

Some of you must remember that MU does not have an attractive job for a coach. Do you really think that coaches see it easy to recruit talent to Huntington WV? We cant even keep the talent in our own doorstep. Donnie Jones has the backing of Reynolds, Farell, Coach Donivan, and alot of other boosters. And for those of you that think the boosters like Reynolds dont have a say? Whom do you think is going to pony up the money to hire one of these guys. Donnie Jones isnt coming here for Jirsa pay and neither is John Pelphrey.

What kind of message is MU sending by allowing Reynolds to be on the search committee when he was single handedly responsible for our sanctions with football? That should tell you just how important he is going to be for FINANCIAL reasoning with bball. I know Marshall and he is an asset to the Herd, but this did not come from him.

Its funny that some of you will flame other herd posters even if they agree with you. I have had the Jirsa staying thing thrown up a thousand times by the same people. Put it this way, if Bobby Pruett tells you something would you believe it? Just wondering.

Get on board and support the new coach. I dont care if its DJ or Pelphrey, we are doing a heck of alot better than we were with Jirsa. If we dont support the new coach with more effort and money, we will be back in the same boat we were in. The ONLY people whom have a right to flame our new coach is the people whom thought RJ deserved another decade to right the ship.

Could you provide proof!

Offline MU65Grad

Coach Info.
    « Reply #99 on: March 25, 2007, 02:52:47 PM »
  • [Like]0
  • [Dislike]0
  • Quote from: "herdgameplan"
    You guys can say what you want...

Could you provide proof!
    Unfortunately, Chez only posts unsubstantiated information from unidentified sources.  He doesn't want to violate the confidentiality of his sources. He did reveal a source recently for information that turned out to be 100% inaccurate. :lol:

HerdFans.com

Coach Info.
    « Reply #99 on: March 25, 2007, 02:52:47 PM »